Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
From what I've seen, T-Mobile will charge an excessive amount for the Nexus 4 off-contract. Likely 500-600 like other phones. But their version should be the same, no bloatware or anything.

Looks like it's the Play store for me then! Thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid shipping it. Not patient enough for anything that's not 2 day shipping for free.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But, the Nexus branding is gaining and will continue to gain recognition. I've seen plenty of non-tech people mention it. This isn't scientific of course but the Nexus 7 (and to some lesser extent, the shockingly low priced Galaxy Nexus mid year) really paved the way for the Nexus branding to grow. And now with a true lineup from Google, it seems like Google's got the right idea. They still have a ways to go...

I think it also helps that prepaid models are starting to grow ever so slowly.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong--anything that forces the carriers and other manufacturers to reconsider how they do business is a good thing. As it stands now though, I just don't see it happening. It's a very good device but nothing revolutionary that will self propel itself into major popularity.

I wonder though if Google really cares that much. There is little to no marketing/publicity for any of the Nexus devices. Google certainly has deep enough pockets to be able to put a real push behind their products, so why don't they?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong--anything that forces the carriers and other manufacturers to reconsider how they do business is a good thing. As it stands now though, I just don't see it happening. It's a very good device but nothing revolutionary that will self propel itself into major popularity.

I wonder though if Google really cares that much. There is little to no marketing/publicity for any of the Nexus devices. Google certainly has deep enough pockets to be able to put a real push behind their products, so why don't they?

I agree 100%. Google needs to push this not just for sales but so they can eventually have enough clout and recognition to forge relations with the carriers and still control the software. At this point and time if they can't control their software there's no point in releasing a nexus device to a carrier. The debacle with Verizon only made angry nexus customers.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Google wont market a phone because it looks bad toward any company that doesn't have a Nexus device. HTC uses Android which benefits Google, they aren't going to market an LG device which will hurt HTC.

Aside from a pure Android experience the phone were generally lack luster (poor camera, mediocre screen) because they were dev phones with the latest greatest software. The N4 is looking more promising to me then past offerings.

Google benefits just as much as advertising it as they don't. They just want you to have an Android doesn't matter if its pure android from LG or has a manufacture UI from another manufacture.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Shouldn't need to do anything, although you may need a sim card adapter, depending on what size sim you have in your current device (i.e. nano sim from the iPhone 5). I routinely changed between an iPhone and a Galaxy Nexus on AT&T and just needed to move the sim card.

I'm on a 4S right now so it looks like no adapter would be needed.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Google wont market a phone because it looks bad toward any company that doesn't have a Nexus device. HTC uses Android which benefits Google, they aren't going to market an LG device which will hurt HTC.

Why not? Isn't Microsoft essentially doing the same thing with Windows 8 and the Surface?

I understand what you're saying but Google really has the leverage here. What are all of these other manufacturers going to use if they don't use Android--WP 8? ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why not? Isn't Microsoft essentially doing the same thing with Windows 8 and the Surface?

I understand what you're saying but Google really has the leverage here. What are all of these other manufacturers going to use if they don't use Android--WP 8? ;)

Like I mentioned, it doesn't really help Google because they just want you to own Android. I doubt they care where it comes from be it a Nexus device or a device running touch wiz or sense and etc.

So if it doesn't help them why hurt they're allies?

This was the consensus of why Google didn't push a Motorola Nexus too. They didn't want to show favoritism.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Like I mentioned, it doesn't really help Google because they just want you to own Android. I doubt they care where it comes from be it a Nexus device or a device running touch wiz or sense and etc.

So if it doesn't help them why hurt they're allies?

This was the consensus of why Google didn't push a Motorola Nexus too. They didn't want to show favoritism.

I also think that they are pushing the Nexus phones for developers and those who want a pure Google and less the general public. I mean, Google and T-Mobile is the only place to get it. So unless you even know it's out, you won't go looking for it. In all reality, they are probably selling this at cost and doing some accounting magic to do it too. Since it's direct from Google, they are making money off of the Ads they serve you and the content you consume from Play. This is different from Samsung and HTC where they make your cash upfront with the sale of the device and accessories they want to sell you.

The tablet is a different experience. They wanted a foot hold in the market and everyone prior to the Nexus 7 (Kindle Fire not withstanding since that's a Amazon Content device IMO after the latest Kindle launch and they just needed a base to work off of) did a shoddy job at it. So they said screw it and decided to do it themselves. Same with the Nexus 10. I'm sure we will start seeing this at the same places we see the Nexus 7. In the end two different strategies for two different markets.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
These are the first good looking shots from the Nexus 4 camera I've seen. Good sign.

Indeed. It looks good. I'm hoping these are legit non-photoshoped pics. Just remember lots of people got burned by the Lumia 920 incident.

For anyone interested in comparing the iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4 physically. It's helpful since i believe it's scale is comparable, so you can see what it looks like against each other. Not as good as a 1:1 ratio with real pictures, but a good comparison.

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-nexus-4/24782/pictures#11

S3 vs. Nexus 4
http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-s3-vs-nexus-4/24796/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Indeed. It looks good. I'm hoping these are legit non-photoshoped pics. Just remember lots of people got burned by the Lumia 920 incident.

For anyone interested in comparing the iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4 physically. It's helpful since i believe it's scale is comparable, so you can see what it looks like against each other. Not as good as a 1:1 ratio with real pictures, but a good comparison.

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-nexus-4/24782/pictures#11

S3 vs. Nexus 4
http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-s3-vs-nexus-4/24796/

Great info.

Here's a "real world" photo too to add to it:
83fded76c95b28dc8dd7994f3fe6603f_1349955404.jpeg

----------

agree. I am by no means a good photographer, so as along as it points and shoots and looks good....I am happy.

Yeah.

And a few of those leaked images were actually the Galaxy Premiere camera, back when the iT9080 (or whatever?) was thought to be the next Nexus.

Anyway, good signs. Can't wait for reviews.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
that comparison with the iphone 5 and the n4 in hand looks weird. The iphone 5 screen is no where near that washed out looking.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Another:

40994d1349989157t-lg-nexus-4-vs-iphone5-photos-uploadfromtaptalk1349989156916.jpg

----------

Wish more info would come out for the Nexus Orb. Pricing, availability, how it works, what it can do, can't do...

Awfully mum about the device. Hope they don't pull a Samsung and release it months down the line...

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Full Spec breakdown thanks to xda :)

External Hardware Specifications
Exact model: LG Nexus 4
Model Number: LG-E960
Codename: Mako
Dimensions: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm (5.27 x 2.70 x 0.36 in)
Weight: 139 g (4.90 oz)
Construction: Corning Gorilla Glass 2 front & back, plastic bezel
Ports: 3.5mm headphone jack (top), microUSB (SlimPort HDMI) (bottom), microSIM tray (side)
Microphone: Dual Mics for Noise Cancellation
SAR (US Rating): 0.55 W/kg (head) / 1.27 W/kg (body)
Notification LED: RGB LED (below screen)
Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, compass, barometer

Chipset
Exact model: Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064

CPU
Exact model: Quad core "Krait v2"
Manufacturer: Qualcomm
Speed: 1.5GHz
Lithography: 28nm
Cache: L0: 4KB+4KB, L1: 16KB+16KB, L2: 2 MB
Instruction Set: ARMv7
Pipeline Depth: 11-Stage
Dhrystone: 3.3 DMIPS/MHz
Memory: Dual-channel 533 MHz (8.5 GB/sec)

GPU
Exact model: Adreno 320
OpenGL: ES 3.0

Baseband
Exact model: Gobi MDM8215
Bands: GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), 3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz), HSPA+ 42
Integrated Radios: BT 4.0/LE, 802.11ac/a/b/g/n (2.4/5 GHz)
Cores: Single Cortex A5
Instruction Set: ARMv7

DAC
Exact model: WCD9310

DSP
Exact model: Hexagon QDSP6
Generation: H4
Clock Speed: 256MHz - 350MHz
Frequency: 500Mhz
Cache: L1: 16KB, L2: 256 KB
Lithography: 28nm
Dhrystone: 20 DMIPS/mW

Rear Camera
Exact model: Unknown - Sony BSI
Manufacturer: Sony
Max. Image Size: 3264 x 2448
Max. Video Size: 1080p @ 30fps
Sensor: 1/3.2" Back-Side Illuminated
Lens: LG 5 Element lens
Aperture: f/2.4
Flash: Single LED
Pixel Size: 1.1mµ
Focal Length: 5mm

Front Camera
Exact model: Unknown
Max. Image Size: 1.3MP
Max. Video Size: 720p @ 30fps

Screen
Exact model: TrueHD IPS+ with ZeroGap technology
Manufacturer: LG
Display Type: IPS
Resolution: 768x1280
Aspect Ratio: 15:9
Size: 4.7" (119.4mm) Diagonal, 2.42" × 4.03" (61.4mm × 102.4mm)
Pixel Density: 317.6ppi
Dot Pitch: 0.08mm
Brightness: 470 nits
Sub-pixel Arrangement: Stripe RGB
Black Screen (100% Brightness): 0.33 cd/m2
White Screen (100% Brightness): 471 cd/m2

GPS
Exact model: gpsOneGen 8A
GLONASS: Supported
A-GPS: Supported
S-GPS: Supported

RAM
Size: 2GB
Technology: LPDDR

NAND
Size: 8GB or 16GB

Battery
Exact model: LG BL-T5
Manufacturer: LG Chem
Capacity: 2100mAh/8.0Wh (minimum 2030mAh/7.7Wh)
Voltage: 3.8v
Type: Lithium-ion polymer
Wireless Charging: Supported, Qi Standard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1964850

Check out the battery tech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O7Q8E5dzyxg

Head of user experience for Google tells Why there is no Micro SD card in Nexus devices.
Kind of a BS reason if you ask me.

Pure BS!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Another:

----------

Wish more info would come out for the Nexus Orb. Pricing, availability, how it works, what it can do, can't do...

Awfully mum about the device. Hope they don't pull a Samsung and release it months down the line...

Why does the screen in the iPhone still look brighter if they are both IPS? Could the brightness level be down in the nexus?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Why does the screen in the iPhone still look brighter if they are both IPS? Could the brightness level be down in the nexus?

That's my guess. That's the prototype Nexus 4 btw. The other pics from that group show the back still with the "with Google" on the back.

My question is why does iOS still show the carrier on the top left? So much wasted space that could be used for notifications instead ;)

----------

Yeah, this is great.

Wonder how this will do with the wireless charging. I really do wish there was more info for the Nexus Orb. Charge times? Price? Availability? etc.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Another great thing about the Nexus 4 unlocked is that it gets to have the S4 quad-core processor that helps with the battery consumption.

If I'm not mistaken, there's no quad-core chip that also simultaneously allows LTE, correct? I'm not well versed when it gets down the nitty gritty details of these specs. Please correct me if I'm way off...

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Another great thing about the Nexus 4 unlocked is that it gets to have the S4 quad-core processor that helps with the battery consumption.

If I'm not mistaken, there's no quad-core chip that also simultaneously allows LTE, correct? I'm not well versed when it gets down the nitty gritty details of these specs. Please correct me if I'm way off...

I believe Samsung's exynos does. In addition, Nvidia is working on a processor that supports LTE and quad core. I think it may be out.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

Samsung processors do.

The only gripe about the S4 quad processor is that it is based on the a15 arm chip where as the new exynos processors (like the one in the samsung nexus 10 tablet) will be the a15 arm chip which is superior hence only needing a dual core.

It is still good though :)

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland

LG Optimus G does have a support for LTE and it's pretty much the same device as Nexus 4.

I believe Samsung's exynos does. In addition, Nvidia is working on a processor that supports LTE and quad core. I think it may be out.

Samsung does have a few Exynos 4412 based devices (Korean S3 variants, Galaxy S3 LTE i9305 and some Note 2 models) that do support LTE, but they are using a separate LTE chip outside of the SoC which means higher power consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.