Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Have you seen the latest version of the Mac page on the Apple website?

http://www.apple.com/mac/

Scroll the page down. MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac. That's it. No mention whatsoever of the MacBook Air, Mac Mini or Mac Pro – it's as if they don't exist. They will still sell you them via the links to the store at the top of the page, of course, but that's clearly the end of the line for those machines. They are dead.

Fascinating - Thanks for posting that.

I wonder if "This Apple" sees the Mac as "laptops only" in the future, and from their perspective, iMac people can go to (will be forced to) with a MBP + External screen, especially as the single cable connection reality is upon us.

smh

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
zQTk4DW.jpg

frankiee

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I wonder if "This Apple" sees the Mac as "laptops only" in the future, and from their perspective, iMac people can go to (will be forced to) with a MBP + External screen, especially as the single cable connection reality is upon us.

If it only were this. Currently, it looks like this to me:

Step 1) Who needs workstations? Use an iMac
Step 2) Who needs desktops? Use a MacBook(Pro)
Step 3) Who needs laptops? Use an iPad("Pro")

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I have a feeling maybe something is going on with Apple internally. The "hello again" tease just seemed a bit bizarre considering what the event was comprised of. It was as if Apple wanted to get the faithful Mac user's hopes up just to dash them which just dosen't make sense. The small increase in attention it would have generated for the event would be more than negated by frustrating so many people. It just wasn't well thought out. Also I picked up a strange vibe during this event. Everyone went through their paces but something seemed to be missing. It felt a little subdued.

Maybe it's just my imagination. Maybe it was because the next event will be at the new headquarters and they were reminiscing about years past when Steve Jobs was still with them. I believe that was his wife in the audience. Time will tell.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I have a feeling maybe something is going on with Apple internally. The "hello again" tease just seemed a bit bizarre considering what the event was comprised of. It was as if Apple wanted to get the faithful Mac user's hopes up just to dash them which just dosen't make sense. The small increase in attention it would have generated for the event would be more than negated by frustrating so many people. It just wasn't well thought out. Also I picked up a strange vibe during this event. Everyone went through their paces but something seemed to be missing. It felt a little subdued.

Maybe it's just my imagination. Maybe it was because the next event will be at the new headquarters and they were reminiscing about years past when Steve Jobs was still with them. I believe that was his wife in the audience. Time will tell.
Or they were just rushing to get the hell out of there and pimp customers more.

Reactions: Synchro3

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
There really is nothing impressive about the new MacBook pro line. Would probably be better off getting a new Dell precision mobile workstation.

Reactions: NostromoUK

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Has anyone written an email to Tim Cook or Schiller recently about the roadmap? They might answer if the email doesn't come off as crazy and angry? I remember Tim Cook answering an email about a year before the nMP finally arrived.

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

THIS!!!

I myself couldn't help shake off the feeling that something was off about the whole presentation

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Has anyone written an email to Tim Cook or Schiller recently about the roadmap? They might answer if the email doesn't come off as crazy and angry? I remember Tim Cook answering an email about a year before the nMP finally arrived.
I did back in April. Requested that he please consider producing a new Mac Pro and listed the reasons for my viewpoint even referring to the Mac Pro as a jewel in their crown and one of the things that Apple needs for the pro community.

I'm still waiting for a reply. Well, not really as I didn't expect one but thought it was worth a try.

Reactions: DrMickeyLauer

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I wrote an email recently and twitter him.
[doublepost=1477755365][/doublepost]
The innovation seems to have died with Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs, that's for sure.
Innovation died because of marketing.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
The innovation is still there. They are just innovating towards existing trends, evolving based on popular voice. They are in step with their consumers instead of walking one step and thinking two steps ahead.

It just seems so foolish to me. It took basically two decades of unwavering support of creative professionals to lift the Apple brand to where it is today. I don't know who inside of Apple could not see that their most dedicated customers, creative pros, are the same people that lined up first for the iPods, iPhones and iPads. These are the people that kept the brand in the public line of sight and proved day in and day out that Apple products are much more than expensive toys. They're the ones that begged, argued and convinced their friends and family that Apple was the better choice.

So, question : what happens when the die hard supporters stop using and promoting Apple products? What happens when they start to recommend something different?

res0lve

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
The innovation is still there. They are just innovating towards existing trends, evolving based on popular voice. They are in step with their consumers instead of walking one step and thinking two steps ahead.

It just seems so foolish to me. It took basically two decades of unwavering support of creative professionals to lift the Apple brand to where it is today. I don't know who inside of Apple could not see that their most dedicated customers, creative pros, are the same people that lined up first for the iPods, iPhones and iPads. These are the people that kept the brand in the public line of sight and proved day in and day out that Apple products are much more than expensive toys. They're the ones that begged, argued and convinced their friends and family that Apple was the better choice.

So, question : what happens when the die hard supporters stop using and promoting Apple products? What happens when they start to recommend something different?
This time is over. My teenage kids don't care about creative pros or MacPro or whatever. They want their iPhones with snapchat, instagram facetime etc. That's where the money is, that's where the focus is

Reactions: JimGoshorn

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Apple have gone one better, in their minds. Using creative advocates was good in the day but they're in the fashion industry now, and those guys are experts in spreading irrational product desire among consumers. That's where they think the influencers are. Look at how much energy they've spend courting the fashion mags and celebs. The creative industry hasn't had a fraction of that. Not so much even as a glance. All this drive towards thinness and removing ports has nothing to do with making a better product, it's about driving relentless pointless change in exactly the way the fashion industry does. It's about making everyone else's products look literally 'last year' with their headphone jacks and big USB ports and boxy dimensions and bleurgh, function keys. It's about making Windows PCs look like something dads use.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Apple have gone one better, in their minds. Using creative advocates was good in the day but they're in the fashion industry now, and those guys are experts in spreading irrational product desire among consumers. That's where they think the influencers are. Look at how much energy they've spend courting the fashion mags and celebs. The creative industry hasn't had a fraction of that. Not so much even as a glance. All this drive towards thinness and removing ports has nothing to do with making a better product, it's about driving relentless pointless change in exactly the way the fashion industry does. It's about making everyone else's products look literally 'last year' with their headphone jacks and big USB ports and boxy dimensions and bleurgh, function keys. It's about making Windows PCs look like something dads use.

Indeed. The hiring of Angela Ahrendts tells us all we need to know. Check her background and take a look at what Burberry is.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
If you're a Pro, the Mac lineup looks ridiculous. No USB ports? 16GB max? 256GB storage on massively expensive machines? Massively out of date trashcan Mac than needs a rat's nest of cables, external drives and dongles.

But if you're the sort of rich consumer that enjoys spunking money of tech for the heck of it and bought Apple just because it was 'cool' a few years back, well, you'll look at stuff like the Surface and see it's obviously more innovative.

Apple's starting to lose its appeal to just about everyone.

Reactions: DrMickeyLauer

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
For those looking for greener pastures we at HP are here for you.
We introduce "campboot"! Not to be confused with "bootcamp". This is where you boot apple's sorry excuses for computers out of your life. With "campboot" OS 10.6.8 thru 10.12 will run your Mac apps natively!
The HPZPM840 (PM=Post Mac) will "innovate the a$$" off the "different" thinking computer segment!
Now all apple has to do is
1. Continue the OS development and sell it in their app store
2. Get their other foot out of the computer industry because obviously they only have one in!

HP OSX.png

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London

Exactly. I have to admit that the first time I felt this was back in the 90s when John Sculley came out with the hideous Macintosh LC.

Unfortunately, Apple wouldn't have become such a big company if they kept focussing only on Pro users. iPhone and iPads were born for consumers and then developed also as Pro devices, as Enterprise features were implemented.

I agree that they should still offer solutions for Pros, but we can't expect them to consider us their priorities as we fuel, I beiieve (please tell me I'm wrong) a very small minority as far as total turnover and users.

I think that the Touch Bar is a very smart idea. As for the iPad, my first impression was... "so what"... but it is growing on me the feeling that it's a very smart move to introduce touch on a laptop workflow.

Apple will come out with a nMP, eventually. We may disagree with them for the - BLATANTLY - late development, but this is the price to pay for having Tim instead of Phil/Craig/Jon as CEO. There must be a reason why Steve Jobs let Tim be appointed.

@

Reactions: ssgbryan

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Exactly. I have to admit that the first time I felt this was back in the 90s when John Sculley came out with the hideous Macintosh LC.

Unfortunately, Apple wouldn't have become such a big company if they kept focussing only on Pro users. iPhone and iPads were born for consumers and then developed also as Pro devices, as Enterprise features were implemented.

I agree that they should still offer solutions for Pros, but we can't expect them to consider us their priorities as we fuel, I beiieve (please tell me I'm wrong) a very small minority as far as total turnover and users.

I think that the Touch Bar is a very smart idea. As for the iPad, my first impression was... "so what"... but it is growing on me the feeling that it's a very smart move to introduce touch on a laptop workflow.

Apple will come out with a nMP, eventually. We may disagree with them for the - BLATANTLY - late development, but this is the price to pay for having Tim instead of Phil/Craig/Jon as CEO. There must be a reason why Steve Jobs let Tim be appointed.

@
I haven't read anyone stating or suggesting pro users should be their priority. I have read several posts where people state they understand the mobile products are the priority. The problem is the pro users feel they've been neglected. This might be understandable if Apple had limited resources. But as the largest company on the planet that's not an excuse. Apple has the resources to at least be able to update the internals to more current technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.