Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
There must be a reason why Steve Jobs let Tim be appointed.

Despite my misgivings about Tim Cook's lack of vision, I do believe picking him as CEO was the right choice at the time. Apple had explosively grown from a Sillicon Valley computer company to one of the largest tech giants in the world. Tim Cook was the guy who managed that growth successfully, even when SJ was still there.

Companies go through different phases, just like people, or countries, and different phases require different leaders. Tim Cook was the right man to manage Apple's transformation into a global corporation, and he deserves credit for doing so successfully.

But maybe now it's time for another product guy or visionary. Because aside from making Apple a worldwide player, Tim Cook's vision for the company has been to turn it into a luxury brand, and I believe that will prove to be a mistake in the long run.

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
Mine was a sad realisation.
1) ITguy2016 I didn't mean to accuse anyone of saying anything :) I was just sympathising with you folks on feeling kept apart from what once Apple was focussing on. I first put my hands on a Mac Plus back in 1986 but decided to buy it when the Mac II came out. It felt the first serious Mac Pro :)
Which brings me to your comment on Apple being so big that it should care. I totally agree. Above all, because they did it already in the past.

2) Zephonic: true. Tim might have been a good choice to keep the company in stable growth while absorbing the hit of Steve's passing. However, the solid internal structure of leaders that Jobs set up would have guaranteed strong resilience even without a careful ex-CFO, imho. I would love to see a purge in innovation, but given the amount of new silicon being developed vertically by Apple itself (W1, T1, A10Fusion...), I think our bleeding wait could reserve some final satisfaction.

On a nMP they won't be able to accept so many compromises as for the nMBP (RAM, TB3 PCI-e restrictions..) unless they want to be ridiculed by the media.

Come on Phil... don't disappoint us (any further!) :p

@

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Has anyone written an email to Tim Cook or Schiller recently about the roadmap? They might answer if the email doesn't come off as crazy and angry? I remember Tim Cook answering an email about a year before the nMP finally arrived.

I wrote him one on Friday. Tried to make it not come off as the ravings of an insane madman. No response yet though...

Reactions: DrMickeyLauer

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Come on Phil... don't disappoint us (any further!) :p

TBH, Whenever Phil Schiller present something new these days the whole guy just radiates "Im so bored of this Sh**, I couldn't care less" kind of attitude. I can't blame him though, saying the same phrases every time years over years, always baking in a "most advanced" and "most amazing" in every sentence and bragging about numbers that actually aren't close to impressive. Its kinda funny actually, its like Apple is living in their own reality...Making a big fuzz about 1.6 terraflops (max on new MB Pro) while gtx 1080 MOBILE does 8 terraflops! ...etc, etc... ...not gonna continue my rant, I just find it amuzing and utterly pathetic really.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
TBH, Whenever Phil Schiller present something new these days the whole guy just radiates "Im so bored of this Sh**, I couldn't care less" kind of attitude. I can't blame him though, saying the same phrases every time years over years, always baking in a "most advanced" and "most amazing" in every sentence and bragging about numbers that actually aren't close to impressive.

You forget my favorite: "It is the best [.......] we have ever made."

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
You forget my favorite: "It is the best [.......] we have ever made."

Yeah they repeat that sentence and other superlatives to the extent it doesn't have any effect anymore. My wife was accidentally overhearing the iPhone event when I was watching it and she thought it was a joke and nobody could take those guys seriously. And I tend to agree. At least Steve jobs managed to bake it naturally into his sentences and didn't overdo it so much that it sounded silly.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
But maybe now it's time for another product guy or visionary. Because aside from making Apple a worldwide player, Tim Cook's vision for the company has been to turn it into a luxury brand, and I believe that will prove to be a mistake in the long run.

I really agree. The trend towards Apple just becoming "digital Gucci" is pretty frustrating as there really should be room for a much wider mix for a company of their enormous scale, talent and history.

Just looking at the MBP - There's just no compelling reason to have *every* laptop option be optimizing around super thin/super light. Different use cases call for different tradeoffs and they don't seem to give us much in the way of truly different options.

Same with the Mac Pro. I'd argue there's a huge segment of current/former MacPro (or current Hack users) that would simply like a consistently upgraded and user upgradeable cheese grater tower.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I really agree. The trend towards Apple just becoming "digital Gucci" is pretty frustrating as there really should be room for a much wider mix for a company of their enormous scale, talent and history.

Just looking at the MBP - There's just no compelling reason to have *every* laptop option be optimizing around super thin/super light. Different use cases call for different tradeoffs and they don't seem to give us much in the way of truly different options.

Same with the Mac Pro. I'd argue there's a huge segment of current/former MacPro (or current Hack users) that would simply like a consistently upgraded and user upgradeable cheese grater tower.
Tbh, I can't speak for others in regards to constant Mac pros upgrade, but I need Apple to either constantly update Mac Pros or make Mac Pros fully upgradable. I think Apple wouldn't have to deal with complaints from users like me if we had either one...preferably upgradable. Locking users would lead them to having to update constantly or move on.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Tbh, I can't speak for others in regards to constant Mac pros upgrade, but I need Apple to either constantly update Mac Pros or make Mac Pros fully upgradable. I think Apple wouldn't have to deal with complaints from users like me if we had either one...preferably upgradable. Locking users would lead them to having to update constantly or move on.

Given how Apple seems to feel about desktop/updates/etc, I'd rather have a CMP tower that we could all upgrade.

It doesn't have to be sexy or even mentioned in keynotes...just a product that is "there" for those that need/want an official Mac "core" to BTO and upgrade over time as their needs evolve.

I don't really ever see Apple keeping pace with possible updates for the nMP (obviously at this point), which really is counter to the needs of those that actually want to buy a Mac Pro.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Given how Apple seems to feel about desktop/updates/etc, I'd rather have a CMP tower that we could all upgrade.

It doesn't have to be sexy or even mentioned in keynotes...just a product that is "there" for those that need/want an official Mac "core" to BTO and upgrade over time as their needs evolve.

I don't really ever see Apple keeping pace with possible updates for the nMP (obviously at this point), which really is counter to the needs of those that actually want to buy a Mac Pro.
And as master yoda would say to Tim Cook," this is why you failed."

Last edited:

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013

I agree with this entirely. Give me an upgradeable Mac Pro and I'm still going to buy an iPhone, iMac and some outdated MacBook. I understand the business side of things how this is only like .000005% of their profit but I think there are other consequences that they aren't considering in their numbers that could be detrimental to their company down the road.

If they can afford to build the Apple spaceship I hardly think bumping the specs on a Mac Pro 5,1 would have really been a big deal. But no, they want us working on iPads.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I agree with this entirely. Give me an upgradeable Mac Pro and I'm still going to buy an iPhone, iMac and some outdated MacBook. I understand the business side of things how this is only like .000005% of their profit but I think there are other consequences that they aren't considering in their numbers that could be detrimental to their company down the road.

If they can afford to build the Apple spaceship I hardly think bumping the specs on a Mac Pro 5,1 would have really been a big deal. But no, they want us working on iPads.
I'm not sure if they if thought about this or not, but I hope they recognize the need to constantly update since they locked us into the situation where updates are needed constantly to maintain.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Wasn't this the argument made by the pro-nMP advocates when the nMP was released? That the majority of users replaced their systems instead of upgrading them and therefore the new form factor wasn't a limitation? Without commenting on the validity of that argument we find ourselves in a situation where neither of what you said is an option.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Wasn't this the argument made by the pro-nMP advocates when the nMP was released? That the majority of users replaced their systems instead of upgrading them and therefore the new form factor wasn't a limitation? Without commenting on the validity of that argument we find ourselves in a situation where neither of what you said is an option.
I don't know...what did those pro nMP advocates say at time? I'm pro mac and pc...whichever provides my need. Thanks to Apple...z series it is...while staying with 5,1.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Oh, I know where my money went:

canon_8404b002_ef_400mm_f_4_do_1464728731000_1081814.jpg

Oh, WANT.
(will likely never have though)

Good for you, enjoy.

Reactions: -hh

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
It has been suggested that Apple had sales data indicating that the majority of the macpros remained stock for the duration of their initial lifecycle (i.e. first owner), and only a small number of users would upgrade their machine.

Based on what I've seen in pro audio, that doesn't surprise me. ProToolsHD cards (or other audio interfaces) were pretty much the only PCIe cards in use, and those are really only a small fraction of the market. I was really surprised by how computer-illiterate some of these large studio owners were. They'd have a million dollars worth of analog equipment but not the first clue about their computer.

I have also seen guys confidently buy a bog-standard 12-core with 6GB RAM and a 1TB HDD for graphic design and Photoshop.

Reactions: pat500000

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I was really surprised by how computer-illiterate some of these large studio owners were. They'd have a million dollars worth of analog equipment but not the first clue about their computer.

Go to the Pro Tools forums one day, sit back, and enjoy the show. :D ...I think the constant whining and ignorance about computers is even worse than MR's iPhone 7/7+ subforum. That's saying a lot.;)

Reactions: pat500000

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Oh, WANT.
(will likely never have though)

Good for you, enjoy.

It was initially rationalized to the boss that it would be cheaper to buy it used & resell it after the trip than to have rented it for the duration. Plus that also allowed me to get some practice in, since I've paired it with a 1.4x and a 7Dk2 (1.6x crop), resulting in a handheld 900mm.

Here's a new pic off of a monopod, full frame image ... distance was probably around 200m.
2016-black_rhino-7Y8A2031-no_GPS.jpg

Sorry that the EXIF details are wiped out ... had to get rid of the GPS data, as tourist photos are now also a way that Poachers are tracking down where there's rhino's.

In any case, this is a mother Black Rhino & calf, in Namibia, 11 October 2016.

-hh

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/02/phil...pped-the-sd-card-but-kept-the-headphone-jack/

I quote: "Schiller also confronts critics who saw the new MacBook Pros and were disappointed, suggesting Apple doesn’t care about the Mac business anymore, or at least the Mac desktop business. Schiller strongly disagrees and says “We love the Mac and are as committed to it, in both desktops and notebooks, as we ever have been.”. That being said, Schiller admits he was a bit surprised by the negative reactions, even though all Apple product fuels early criticism and debate."

AS WE HAVE EVER BEEN :D
I really hope they're hiding something. Otherwise they will have to hide soon. :D

Reactions: ssgbryan

Philter

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
It has been suggested that Apple had sales data indicating that the majority of the macpros remained stock for the duration of their initial lifecycle (i.e. first owner), and only a small number of users would upgrade their machine.

Based on what I've seen in pro audio, that doesn't surprise me. ProToolsHD cards (or other audio interfaces) were pretty much the only PCIe cards in use, and those are really only a small fraction of the market. I was really surprised by how computer-illiterate some of these large studio owners were. They'd have a million dollars worth of analog equipment but not the first clue about their computer.
Yet apparently literate enough to install PCIe cards, which is more skill than that required for current trashcan owners. This OSX-based studio owner has moved on from locked-down Mac hardware to a rackmount hackintosh, which in my ignorance I somehow managed to put together by myself. My hackintosh cost half of what comparable Mac hardware would were it even available, and it isn't plagued with design problems like wind tunnel fans, bulky heavy cases, inappropriate/overkill stock options, or welded-in components. I would say anyone still paying for Mac hardware is basically money-illiterate. Face it folks, Apple has abandoned the pro computing industry and now makes consumer gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.