Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who knows if iOS was really the problem or if that was just spin? How about "you're holding it wrong". Was everyone with that issue just holding it wrong or was that just spin rather than Apple getting it right?

Maybe something crucial in that app was lost in the change to iOS7. Maybe not. But still, a mapping competitor app dies. Horray! Why can't all competitors die so that we can all get as lost as I do sometimes following Apple's Map app.

I don't know. But Google doesn't seem to have a problem with iOS 7. Nor does any other app that I use on a regular basis. If other developers can work with with iOS, why can't Nokia?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm trying to figure out a way that this logic doesn't conflict with Apple removing Google maps, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

How do you justify this opinion, or do you just ignore it?

Apple didn't remove Google maps. Apple just didn't renew their agreement to use Google Maps as the default app for iOS, and Google in turn released it as a 3rd party app.

Same with Youtube.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Go to any thread on here that isn't about Apple and you'll get crowds of people spewing massive hate. I don't know if you knew this, but this site has a massive amount of fanboys.
Only because most of the **** out there is ****, doesn't mean you are a hater, when you call it **** out loud.

Apple also gets their rightful amount of hate, when they are wrong and also when they are not wrong. Like when they did a complete rewrite of FCPX to make the most use of modern hardware like that in the new Mac Pro. A trash can that can live edit 4K video is nothing to be too angry about. But they had a Maps-gate with iOS6.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't know. But Google doesn't seem to have a problem with iOS 7. Nor does any other app that I use on a regular basis. If other developers can work with with iOS, why can't Nokia?

Maybe they can. Again, who really knows? Personally, I suspect they didn't get enough adoption to make it worth it to them. Or the Microsoft purchase came with cuts and that was one to be cut. Or <fill in the blank>. Maybe they decided that Google's alternative was just too good or far along to catch? There's tons of possibilities but none of us can know for sure whether the problem was something in iOS7 or not. We can trust or not trust that spin but that's the reason offered by the company that built the app. All of the posts in this thread offering up other ideas are outsiders speculating and carefully avoiding references to the obvious superiority:rolleyes: of Apple's own Map app offering.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe they can. Again, who really knows? Personally, I suspect they didn't get enough adoption to make it worth it to them. Or the Microsoft purchase came with cuts and that was one to be cut. Or <fill in the blank>. Maybe they decided that Google's alternative was just too good or far along to catch? There's tons of possibilities but none of us can know for sure whether the problem was something in iOS7 or not. We can trust or not trust that spin but that's the reason offered by the company that built the app. All of the posts in this thread offering up other ideas are outsiders speculating and carefully avoiding references to the obvious superiority:rolleyes: of Apple's own Map app offering.

I never once mentioned Apple's map app. I just think Nokia's excuse is lame.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
What a bunch of crap. It's not IOS 7 that's harming the experience, it's Nokia's lack of commitment to update their apps for iOS.

They simply want to focus on their own platforms rather than their competitors. That's understandable and they can easily say that, but there's no need to push the blame aside, it just makes you look childish.

When developers have to support multiple versions of android, it is called fragmentation.

When developers have to update their apps to support new ios versions, it is the developer's lack of commitment to work.

Looks like double speak to me.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I never once mentioned Apple's map app. I just think Nokia's excuse is lame.

There's plenty of other apps challenged to adopt iOS7. Apple just had to lay down the threat that by a certain point in the near future, all apps have to be iOS7 compliant or else. If it was easy to adapt, Apple wouldn't have to make such a threat. Not all developers are as deep (or capitalized) as a Google. Nokia should be so it's probably not that. I would guess that the MSFT acquisition just killed the resource allocations to support the ongoing development of this app. It's not like a free app like this is any kind of cash cow. And yet, someone(s) needs to be paid to keep the development going. Or not.

Bento by Filemaker was recently killed "to focus our resources on Filemaker." Was that a "lame" excuse too? I think so but why do I suspect that many won't since Filemaker is fully owned by Apple.

How about "big bag or hurt" and "you're holding it wrong"? Lame excuses or not? Need more?

Last edited:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
nokia maps rank poor for user experience...

Rather than fix it they keep the poor experience just for their most loyal customer base.

Nice.

Nokia could have learnt how to actually design on feedback from the people who use the competition. Sounds like Nokia still isn't learning from its colossal past mistakes.

Nokia would have been huge on Android, easily as profitable as runner up phones and maybe even samsung! The board and CEO should really be back on track by now, I do miss the early early easy to use days of nokia. They opened up mobile phones to the masses and then designed them into the ground and killed usability. WP is more of the same right now. People don't care about megapixels. They want to be able to tell their friends that their phone is so easy to use that they can do anything they want and not get stressed out that they've just ruined their phone. Oh nokia how you have fallen.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I wonder if anyone on iOS even used this, I have a Windows Phone myself and really like the Here apps from Nokia. Here drive took a bit to get used to but overall I now like it almost as much as Google maps, don't have an iPhone so I can't speak for Apples maps.

And that's pretty much it: we all have google maps. On iOS there is also apple maps, which is way better than the HERE app.
I cannot imagine many people in need of a third maps app on their phone.
Especially since there are more dedicated navigation apps for bikers, hikers etc available.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
When developers have to support multiple versions of android, it is called fragmentation.

When developers have to update their apps to support new ios versions, it is the developer's lack of commitment to work.

How is it double-speak? iOS 7 is now used by 3/4 of active iOS devices out there, so Apple wants app developers to support the latest version. They are specifically trying to avoid fragmentation by having as many users as possible on the latest OS running primarily applications specifically designed to support it.

Android developers don't have that luxury, and instead must write apps that will be run on devices running many different versions of the OS.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
How about "You're holding it wrong." While not vague spin, did you find that disingenuous as well?

jobs was neither disingenuous nor vague -- he explained very clearly (with video) how using a death grip was, in fact, the wrong way to hold many cell phones, iphone 4 included.

this is why it was a complete non-issue to 99.45% of customers based on real-world dropped call stats.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Hmm.. loved this app when it came out, I thought the design was very clean and visually pleasing to read the information. But totally forgot about it..

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

not at all. the vast majority of iOS users are on the latest version (regardless of what version we're discussing, because thats how able & easily customers can upgrade). there is minimal fragmentation in this sense since the last couple years of devices support the latest version. nokia's problem is they didnt offer many improvements to it on even just *one* version (6). it was clear they didnt want to spend the time supporting the app, rendering it abandonware.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There's plenty of other apps challenged to adopt iOS7. Apple just had to lay down the threat that by a certain point in the near future, all apps have to be iOS7 compliant or else. If it was easy to adapt, Apple wouldn't have to make such a threat. Not all developers are as deep (or capitalized) as a Google. Nokia should be so it's probably not that. I would guess that the MSFT acquisition just killed the resource allocations to support the ongoing development of this app. It's not like a free app like this is any kind of cash cow. And yet, someone(s) needs to be paid to keep the development going. Or not.

Bento by Filemaker was recently killed "to focus our resources on Filemaker." Was that a "lame" excuse too? I think so but why do I suspect that many won't since Filemaker is fully owned by Apple.

How about "big bag or hurt" and "you're holding it wrong"? Lame excuses or not? Need more?
I'd respect Nokia more if they had said we're pulling it because we don't have resources to maintain it rather than throwing iOS under the bus. Obviously the app wasn't being used that much otherwise they'd find the resources to update it. Was the iOS 6 version a good app? I wouldn't know because I've never used it.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Correct, here we are already to a 30-something post and not a word about the ongoing issues with Apple's own alternative trying to take people into the middle of rivers, onto airport runways, etc (though #28 at least implied it). In my own case, major retail stores are located by Apple maps. Go to where it says and find empty fields.
Good maps data doesn't mean you have a good maps app and vice versa. Let's say Nokia has far better maps data (at least for Europe) and an usable (if not pretty) interface. How does that help, if the app gets pulled or stops being updated, only because it belongs to an competitor? This only once more proves that Apple was right to develop their own mapping solution, no matter how mediocre it was in the beginning. Maybe the reason Nokia decided to pull their app now, is because the quality gap is closing fast?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'd respect Nokia more if they had said we're pulling it because we don't have resources to maintain it rather than throwing iOS under the bus. Obviously the app wasn't being used that much otherwise they'd find the resources to update it. Was the iOS 6 version a good app? I wouldn't know because I've never used it.

No one used it, yet Nokia is too ashamed to save face and just pull the app for lack of support. They want to poke Apple while storming out.

Thankfully I don't think anyone is buying it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
jobs was neither disingenuous nor vague -- he explained very clearly (with video) how using a death grip was, in fact, the wrong way to hold many cell phones, iphone 4 included.

this is why it was a complete non-issue to 99.45% of customers based on real-world dropped call stats.

So Apple didn't adapt changes from that ideal way of building the antenna in subsequent phones or offer free bumpers to "solve" that non-problem?

And how I love 99% references in threads like this. So Apple gave only .55% of those iPhone users free bumpers? I guess the rest just adopted the proper, non "death grip" way of holding the iPhone.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

Think again:

Fragmentation: when the developer needs to support obsolete os shiping with 'new' phones.

Progress: when the devoper needs to update their apps for the latest os that ships with the latest phone.

iOS 6 will never be shipped again with any phone. No fragmentation zes moi.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
is anybody using this app?
I tried it a couple of times; it did not meet my expectations performance-wise for a mapping app.

There's a giant pile of mediocre mapping apps in the App Store, this was one of them.

Judging by the MacRumors article, it appears that I was not alone in this perception.

I believe I deleted the app about six months ago during one of my periodic app library purges, but I hadn't used it for a year and it certainly wasn't installed on my phone.

The next one to go will be Mapquest, if I haven't already deleted that one from my library. I know for sure that it does not live on my phone.

How could this app pose any harm if nobody uses it?
From a physical standpoint, probably none, as I assume the map data continues to be updated for other applications and services that employ the dataset.

From a corporate image and customer satisfaction standpoint, it is probably in Nokia's best interest to pull the app because it is clear that they don't want to put any effort to improve the user experience. That listless nonchalance reflects poorly on the company as a whole as it pretty much shows how much they care about their users.

Last edited:

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
"On the mobile side, android is more customizable..."

As a former Android user and now a 5S user, I don't get this argument. I need a phone to: send and receive texts, make and receive calls, surf the internet and run apps to make life easier on the go.

So, now I have to tap the weather app instead of seeing it on the main screen (which was flaky at best for accuracy). Big deal. I didn't "tinker" with my old phone and the main thing is that it just works and gets updated on a regular basis instead of being 3 generations behind in a year. Maybe I am not willing to tinker with a $600 device that I rely on daily.

Being able to sync with my Mac and iPad is a huge benefit as well.

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Just some facts for the uninformed:

• Microsoft did only buy the Nokia Phone division not the HERE maps division. HERE will stay together with Nokia Siemens Networks as part of the Nokia company.
  • HERE maps (ex Navigon) are used in most car navigation systems. In addition the HERE division own a lot of infrastructure to monitor high ways using cameras/induction systems to capture very detailed traffic information (at least in europe)
  • It was speculated as HERE/Nokia is now independent from the phone division that they are in contact with Apple to provide mapping data and realtime traffic data.
  • 3D maps as used in apple maps were first available at the nokia website and are still available as part of here.com. However as apple bought C3 (the company behind the 3d maps it seems that they are not updated anymore)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Obviously the app wasn't being used that much otherwise they'd find the resources to update it.
It was a free app, it's purpose was to show iOS users how good maps can be on a Nokia phone. It's purpose was not to make and keep iOS users happy for an indefinite long time. Even if the app was widely successful, it's fate was always to be shut down some day, so that the users who relied on the app would need to switch phones. While the plan behind Apples own maps of course always was to become good enough to keep users on the platform.

Apple Maps is here to stay, while HERE Maps were here to leave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.