Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
We have new word: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/03/25/oneplus-3-benchmark-and-specs-show-beefy-powerhouse/

This is looking promising. Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, FHD display, sounds a bit like the OP2 to me. Announcement 7 April, that's interesting. This means it could hit before the HTC 10.

Things that we can hope for: AMOLED, Metal or glass build, Expandable storage, big battery, $350 or under. I don't give one about FHD, but it's interesting that they're sticking with it. Definitely won't make it underspecced or outdated, contrary to people's claims.

Overall this is shaping up to be a great release for OnePlus.

EDIT: Just saw an article confirming that it won't be announced on the 7 April event.

Staying at a 1080 display should reap performance and battery benefits. Also the costs as well. Impressive looking device to say the least at the pricepoint.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
OPO better get their distribution problems sorted out. I don't see any excitement around the OPO3. I don't think anyone is looking forward to trying to get an invite this time around.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OPO better get their distribution problems sorted out. I don't see any excitement around the OPO3. I don't think anyone is looking forward to trying to get an invite this time around.

Yeah they need to get their act together this time, but I suspect they won't. Their distribution will still suck.

Reactions: jamezr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Will they add contactless pay to this one? I believe the last one didn't include it and it was criticised for this as the cost for implementing it is minimal. It was a superb phone at a good price other than that.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Staying at a 1080 display should reap performance and battery benefits. Also the costs as well. Impressive looking device to say the least at the pricepoint.

You would think so, but look at the HTC One M9. That battery life is nowhere near as good as it can be.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
You would think so, but look at the HTC One M9. That battery life is nowhere near as good as it can be.

Yeah it's funny, people act as if screen resolution plays a huge part in battery life. But it really doesn't. It's more about screen size and screen brightness than anything else.

Reactions: jamezr and nviz22

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah it's funny, people act as if screen resolution plays a huge part in battery life. But it really doesn't. It's more about screen size and screen brightness than anything else.
That's true. But if the two screens are the same size and make and one 1080 and the other 2K. The 2K display will consume more power.....all other things being equal.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
+ the higher res it will also increase GPU and CPU load which invariably also increases heat and power consumption.
personally I think 2k is great and is kinda the bar for current gen smartphones. But rumors of phones moving to 4k is overkill to me. It just consumes too much power and that outweighs for the return in display benefits.

Reactions: MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Didn't the M9 have the battery guzzling 810 in it?

I believe it had a 2.1 version to cut down on heating. Point being that just because something has a 1080p display doesn't mean better battery life. Some devices have like a 540 x 480 or worse yet their battery life isn't significantly better. The S7 Edge, having the brightest display on the market, still has one of the best batteries on the market. It's a multi-factor concern and all the 1080p is better folks need to take a step back.
[doublepost=1459197277][/doublepost]
personally I think 2k is great and is kinda the bar for current gen smartphones. But rumors of phones moving to 4k is overkill to me. It just consumes too much power and that outweighs for the return in display benefits.

Until Samsung comes along, makes the best 4k display on a mobile device, has a kickass battery, and you make a JoD switch to the Note 6 o_O:D.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I believe it had a 2.1 version to cut down on heating. Point being that just because something has a 1080p display doesn't mean better battery life. Some devices have like a 540 x 480 or worse yet their battery life isn't significantly better. The S7 Edge, having the brightest display on the market, still has one of the best batteries on the market. It's a multi-factor concern and all the 1080p is better folks need to take a step back.

Until Samsung comes along, makes the best 4k display on a mobile device, has a kickass battery, and you make a JoD switch to the Note 6 o_O:D.
maybe....... i don't see the need for a 4k display personally. I would rather see the Note 6 have a 2k display and have 2 day battery life.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

The S7E having great battery life is more because Samsung is showing they can do software really well when they try. TW is leaps and bounds better than it was last year in terms of power use.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The S7E having great battery life is more because Samsung is showing they can do software really well when they try. TW is leaps and bounds better than it was last year in terms of power use.

You're giving them too much credit. It's more about their compartmentalization and hardware more so. Yes, Touchwiz is much better than the S4 days, but it isn't close to where it can be. Hell, Tizen has popular support for the Gear S2.
[doublepost=1459201743][/doublepost]
maybe....... i don't see the need for a 4k display personally. I would rather see the Note 6 have a 2k display and have 2 day battery life.

Why not have both a 4K display and 2 day battery life lol? It can always happen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You're giving them too much credit. It's more about their compartmentalization and hardware more so. Yes, Touchwiz is much better than the S4 days, but it isn't close to where it can be. Hell, Tizen has popular support for the Gear S2.
[doublepost=1459201743][/doublepost]

Why not have both a 4K display and 2 day battery life lol? It can always happen.
That would be great. But as you said TW is not where it needs to be. Then add the power hungry 4k display....I would rather have the extended battery life to be honest. But it would be great to have both!!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If the one plus three can sort of pull off what Samsung did -- right the wrongs of the previous generation model -- and sort of fix what was missing in the one plus two, they could have a fantastic new device to offer. Pretty nice design. And Oxygen OS has always fascinated me, too.

Too bad there's that invite system.

It should be interesting to see where they go.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Using the best word to describe my opinion of the OP invite system... would get me slapped, or worse by the mods. Especially in the beginning when the company and it's product was new and excitement was high, they acted as narcissistic and arrogant as the Cupertino Co, but sans Apple's accomplishments.

Now that I've had the fun of modding (CM is my favorite) each of their models the thrill is gone. Having been deeply involved in the Android root/rom community for ages, I find there's other handsets I prefer over what OP offers.

However I would be remiss if I failed to mention that I do give OP credit for having decent, if not impressive mid range hardware. I should qualify that by saying that price, unless it's outrageously high, isn't something that I factor in to my evaluation since I'm so addicted to smartphones I'd buy anything resembling one...

Fingerprint reader location, since the first time one was placed on the backside of a phone by LG, I've found it to be a wonderful placement.

Fast forward to the present, my Nexus 5X and 6P models are just wonderful.

Perfect? Thankfully Not!
Excellent? Yes Indeed!

Thanks Google!

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I'll probably give it a shot if the invite ever arrives. Price for spec it's usually a good buy and if they fix the sluggish camera, I may end up keeping it this time.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Using the best word to describe my opinion of the OP invite system... would get me slapped, or worse by the mods.

I think everyones opinion on the invite system is the same here ;)

Strangely I was given a fast pass on the OP2 & OPX - literally got an invite within 24hours as soon as I entered my email into the registration database, with a 'congratulations. We reserve some invites for special cases / priority users'.... So my OP account email must be flagged, but that being said - it still doesn't make the invite system any less shi**y

Reactions: jamezr and maxsix

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Rumour has it that this will be launching in June.
I've said this for quite a lot of phones, but I'm quite optimistic about the OP3. It and the new Moto X could match the standards of the current phones of this year, and still offer the same affordable prices of their predecessors.
I hope these two phones get attention, and sell well. I'd like to see companies like Samsung, HTC and LG follow the paths of these phones.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Call me crazy, but I am actually very interested to see what the OnePlus Three is all about. To me these OPO phones are sort of like Nexus .5 releases, meaning typically better than than the current Nexus phone, but then several months later the next gen Nexus phone comes out being better.

My main phone right now is a rooted + ROM'd T-Mobile Note 5, which I like a lot. But...I still have my original OnePlus One, and running the latest CM13 ROM, I put my SIM back in it for the weekend, and this phone for being two years old, still feels very fresh and modern. CM13 is super smooth and fast on this phone, zero issues, and rock solid stable.

I wasn't a fan of the Two, I liked the One and the One X. So here's hoping we get a kick butt OnePlus Three in that $399 price range, with flagship spec's, it is said will get the SD820 + 4GB RAM + 3,500mAh battery + 5.5" QHDScreen.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
iphone 6 users here. I bought OPX several months ago to try it out. Used it for 2 days before switching back to my iPhone 6. The phone itself is very beautiful and nicely built however; the OS sucks big time. There were numerous issues during my usage.

1) The bezel-less design is nice to look at but my palm would be touching the screen hence; the phone would not register my finger as touch.
2) The phone freeze
3) The phone lags (slow) during scrolling in any apps
4) Camera could not save in SD card (it’s fixed through the update)
5) Lacking a good music player (only google music)
6) Lacking a good photo app
7) Radio app sucks (you can’t save the channel)
8) Had to manually move apps to SD card
9) When apps in the SD card is updated, it would be automatically moved back to internal storage (some users said that they could not update apps in SD card too)
10) The camera sucks (the spec actually is same as my iPhone 6) comparing to my iPhone 6

Some of these issues shouldn’t even existed (e.g. # 4,5,6,7,8,9) but I guess OP has a small software development team. They need better planning before releasing it to the public.

I understand that I am comparing Apple to Oranges (price differences and OS) but would not switch over to OP because of their poor customer service (look at their forum) and poor development team. Customers had to complain in the forum and someone that works for OP (Adam) is tagged and escalates the issue before it’s taken care of.

In fact, I wouldn’t switch to Android any time soon because all my stuff (e.g. PC, music, app) is in Apple’s eco system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.