Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The Lion must be caged.

The latest news from Apple: Apple has delayed release of Lion until further notice. In the early morning hours of July 14th, Lion became severely agitated and attacked a group of developers, decapitating the heads of the development team and leaving a blood trail from Cupertino to Redmond. Steve Jobs was notified at approximately 12:25 am PST and returned Lion to its cage, where it sits with it's current tags, still reading "Lion, Golden Master". Further updates forthcoming, stay tuned to https://www.macrumors.com for up-to-date information on the state of this pandemic tragedy of epic proportion.

mateus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Pages is more of a Page Layout Application like Adobe PageMaker. It is not a general Word Processing app like ClarisWorks or AppleWorks was for documents. That is why he might not like to use iWork, it is a totally different thing.

Pages has two modes (word processing and page layout). He should be fine with it in word processing mode - it's simple yet powerful. I've written many long reports in Pages and prefer it to MS Word.

It seems odd that he would upgrade his OS but not software.

spoccka

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm really disappointed to be honest.

babboxy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
How is it a fail? It posted a RUMOR so its a WIN. Whether the rumor comes true or not is a different story but Macrumors upheld its end of the bargain by posting it.

also they say now "OS X Lion Not Going to Launch This Week?" so they seem to be 100% right lol

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Microsoft failed to deliver Vista for years after the original plans.
Apple said Lion will be in July. It's still July and it will be July for some days more.
Even if they miss the "July promiss", it will be in order to iron out some bugs. I'm ok with that. This is an operating system we are talking about, not a music concert. It's ok to delay, it's for good purpose.

As far as I'm concerned, the only delay so far is only inside rumor-makers' head.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I will pass judgment in a few hours time when it is early morning pst.

If it doesn't get released today then why did apple let the rumours happen. This leak has made it to every major tech site in the world, all over the forums and all over twitter. Why didn't apple leak a story to dismiss the date, especially when it started to appear on major sites.

I have lost interest now.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
If it doesn't get released today then why did apple let the rumours happen. This leak has made it to every major tech site in the world, all over the forums and all over twitter. Why didn't apple leak a story to dismiss the date, especially when it started to appear on major sites.

How is this any different than any other rumor in the history of Apple rumors?

Uelogy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hopefully it is coming tomorrow, and these rumors of delays are just so we all get an early night = less cranky forums in the morning. Hehe.

In all seriousness I really hope it's out tomorrow.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In all seriousness I really hope it's out tomorrow.

As in Thursday or Friday?

To me, Thursday bring news from Apple. Friday, maybe the actual deal at midnight per region to cut down on straining the servers (Wednesday's modifications) and all. However if it doesn't come this week, I bet it'll be next week because of the August / September iOS events and such, Apple likes to space showcases out.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
"I hope you guys don't lose too much sleep waiting for the new Macs and Lion tomorrow :)"

You can read that tweet to mean that the Macs and Lion are coming today (just don't lose too much sleep in all the excitement).

Lots of software updates this week. A sure sign of things happening *soon*.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

If Apple just invited developers to submit apps for Lion on 7/11, it's very doubtful they would launch on 7/15. There is no lead time for app approvals in that short of time. Add a week.. Maybe.

Then again.. Who knows!

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wouldn't it be cool if there was some way to scale OSX down to run on an iPad 3 ...

Like Windows 8 does with smaller devices.

It kinda seems like it might be heading that way with lion.

But a lot of people are against it.

Sounds like they're doing the opposite, scaling iOS up to be a desktop OS. Which worries me, personally.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have a friend that is telling me that OS X 10.7 will be the last release of Mac OS X, from then on it will be the iOS ported to the computers to take over from Mac OS, it will like Mac iOS v11.0

I don't necessarily agree with him on this, I think there will be a 10.8 and 10.9, but who knows.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

If Apple just invited developers to submit apps for Lion on 7/11, it's very doubtful they would launch on 7/15. There is no lead time for app approvals in that short of time. Add a week.. Maybe.

Then again.. Who knows!

I think people are relying a bit too much on the developer notice. It never promised any devs that they would get their apps up in time for release, just that by submitting them they will have a *chance* of getting them up in time for release. Considering people will be downloading Lion all month and most apps work just fine out of the box (and a lot of devs have already got updates out) it's not that big of a deal if not every app developer gets their stuff up in time.

If this was iOS, it would be a little different, because there would be a lot of new APIs that would only function with the new version of iOS. So in those cases it's a bit more critical for app devs to get their apps in on time, and Apple actually stated in those notices "submit by X date to get them approved for release day."

Also the app store isn't even used by a lot of devs still, and I think Apple knows this very well, hence the reason they are promoting it to developers, trying to get them to submit their apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.