Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Doesn't iTunes require Quicktime?

Yes, but Quicktime is more than just the visible app. There are various system underpinnings that enable videos to playback say using quick look. The most obvious example is QuickTime X - its just a secondary front end.

More proof? Every single time you run iTunes, Quicktime as an app stays closed - thats because it uses other common components.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Either MacMagazine wants free publicity or I'm not seeing the several minor issues in the installer. I wasted 7 minutes watching an fugly desktop and random clicking that any 3 year old can do. What are the damn minor issues?!?!?! Instead of making us cringe from seeing Fugliness with a capital F, state the minor issues.

i like that dock, how can i get it?? if anyone could help me out please.

one thing i dont like about this video is the actual snow leopard on the disc. apple hasnt given their OSs any kind of reference to the animal other than the name. for example, leopard cd, box art... dosnt have any leopard right? its mostly pink space graphics. looking in the leopard wallpapers, theres no actual leopard. only animal i found was a zeebra. does the snow leopard wallpaper collection actually have a snow leopard? if so, how come they are doing this? tiger might have been like that, i think it had a tiger fur image o nthe disc. i dont understand this return of actual animal references besides the name.

So your point is that if you don't like it, we must not like it either? Microsoft still puts out Windows, which is about a billion times worse than having an animal picture on box and a few discs.

also, i noticed you can install quicktime 7, he says its for old video formats. why cant they make quicktime x play those formats?

No point in porting over stuff that already works fine.

ThundrChicken

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Yep I wouldn't mind a end of August release either. Although, I don't think that's going to be happening. In any cause, does the SL disk contain the full version of leopard as well or (for erase and install from disk utility menu), or if I wipe the HD clean before, do I have to install Leopard first, and then install SL? This wasn't explained that clearly. :confused:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I'm hoping for an August release, mainly because that's before I have to go back to school.

Those buttons in the installer are pointing towards Marble.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'm hoping for an August release, mainly because that's before I have to go back to school.

Those buttons in the installer are pointing towards Marble.

Except that they are not a component of the installer or OSX - the dude has customized his entire system. In fact there is a video on that page that shows the theme that he enabled as disabled - the traffic lights are the same.

There is no marble. The code was frozen and locked weeks ago and there was never any indication that there was a new UI back then either.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Except that they are not a component of the installer or OSX - the dud has customized his entire system. In fact there is a video on that page that shows the theme that he enabled as disabled - the traffic lights are the same.

Well it does look like Marble.

There is no marble.

I haven't seen any screenshots from the new version. I won't believe your statement until I see it for myself.

dieselpower

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
it's pathetic how many smug pricks use this forum. incase you didn't know, there are mac users out there that don't spend their lives learning every single thing a mac can do and downloading every single app for it. get a life. if someone asks a question and you know the answer, have the decency not to talk like you've got a barge pole rammed up your ass. you ain't impressing anyone.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Well it does look like Marble.
Well, it isn't, the guy is using a customization. Watch the video and it is obvious that the traffic lights are normal. Even the original article has been updated (via a translation) to reflect that the guy was running mods.

Update II: the same player recorded a video showing the same screens, but without the visual changes that initially thought to be native build 10A432
O áudio ficou super baixo, mas o que vale mais é o visual:​
The audio was super low, but what counts most is the visual:

I haven't seen any screenshots from the new version. I won't believe your statement until I see it for myself.[/quote]
The code was frozen weeks ago. If there was any UI change we would have known about it already since the devs would have been made aware. The last screen shots we have seen show no new UI and there haven't been any leaks.

Apple would not make a major change to things only a couple of weeks before shipping without telling their developers. It just doesn't happen.

avidmacuser

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
it's pathetic how many smug pricks use this forum. incase you didn't know, there are mac users out there that don't spend their lives learning every single thing a mac can do and downloading every single app for it. get a life. if someone asks a question and you know the answer, have the decency not to talk like you've got a barge pole rammed up your ass. you ain't impressing anyone.

That is how you see it, but it is empty from existing that way from its own side, you are merely labeling the situation and putting your own spin on how you see it. others may find it mildly humorous, others get offended, others quite neutral, and others yet may find it helpful as they can relate to it with their own similar style of responses.

I really meant no harm and I am very sorry to hear that a little bit of doing things that are 'not your way of doing things' has made you upset. It cant be a happy place to be. I am hoping that my response will not produce yet another negative experience for ya.

maybe the original poster with the question got a chuckle out of my response. imagine if he/she got a laugh out of it but you didnt. THAT would be a silly situation.

oh and by the way, the answer had been posted several messages before, and although i dont feel like i owe anyone an explanation, i dont mind giving one.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The guy has a Marble look to his theme. I'm not saying it is Marble.
That's because he themed his system to look like that. Read the article, his whole desktop is customized. You cannot imply anything about a new UI from the screen-shots - we are still at the same place we were months ago when people were speculating about this at and before WWDC. Nothing has changed.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I think I know that. It's quite obvious.
It wasn't based on how I interpreted your quotes. You seemed to indicate that you believed the differences in the screen-shots were indicative of a new UI. heck, even saying "it looks like marble" seems to indicate that. I understand that you are aware of that now, but I want to make it 100% clear that there is still in this late stage no evidence of a new UI. Confusion can arise due to the mods this guy has made.

avidmacuser

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Now that this seed is (for the short time being?) only available through ADC, I am hearing less info on what this rumored GM seed answers about all the questions, hopes, and ideas we've had over the past few weeks in relative threads. Well, maybe just a few have been answered. Would like to hear more though on how the current seed addresses the main issues (ie machine support changes (if any), gpu support changes (if any), installation / upgrade from leopard procedures, etc)

thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

infodriveway

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington, US
also, i noticed you can install quicktime 7, he says its for old video formats. why cant they make quicktime x play those formats?

I think Apple is pulling a "Classic" with this one. Older, archaic codecs that need to die will remain in QuickTime 7 for now. A couple of Mac OS X releases from now, Apple will stop supporting QuickTime 7.

Just a theory. Discuss.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Secretely I'm still hoping for a small interface update. Come on Apple, give us a uniform layout already. :(

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Thats the most retarded looking install cd Apple has ever made.

Panther:
Panther_103_Disks.jpg

Tiger:
Tiger_DVD.jpg

Leopard:
installdvd.png

Noticing a trend here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.