Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone4customer

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
There may be, but I think that anyone with prior experience of other Otterbox defender series cases, they will be disappointed.

It just does not live up to their previous design criteria, and build quality.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Well, I have thus far seen a few Defender complainers, but no in depth review like many other cases here.

I for one would like to see someone to outline what it is about the Defender they don't like.....How it compares to the Defender for Ipad 1, why and where the quality is lacking.....

So how about it, someone going to take the time to give us the details of the complaints were getting scattered reports about.

thanks!

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
To start, see post#97.

It may not be as in depth, as some other reviews, and it may not be a true head-to-head comparison, but I personally own the IPad 1 Defender. My parents do however, and from memory, I can say that the D2 is slimmer, but so is the actual iPad.

The hard shell, being thinner, is much more flexible than the D1, again probably for weight savings. The soft case is also thiner, and has a waffle pattern in the back, to add the depth with adding less weight.

I have posted some pictues of the illl-fitting rubber cover for the audio port.

I have also noticed that the rubber around the speaker opening has the tendency to flip up easily when holding it in landscape profile.

These all might seem petty in nature, but when you spend as much as you do for this case, and superior design of their other designs, this is a disappointment. For what I paid, I expect something thought out a lot better than this.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I just had to pick up this case last night. Had to. Otterbox makes incredible cases.

However...

In my opinion, they went a little too far into small detailing with this case, and missed the larger picture.

The bezel cover (long side) bows on both sides of the iPad leaving more than acceptable spacing in between the glass and the plastic. This bothers me. It's enough to slide a quarter in comfortably.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me: The dock door. This was horribly designed. Once you get a all the silicon pressed in the plastic, it looks horrid. It's not smooth like the picture...

icaruslol

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
I received the case today. I totally agree with the rest of people. I must say that I liked the iPad 1 defender much more than this. the open bezel worries me a little. I know that since the sides of the case are elevated, the bezel won't touch the floor,but its still open for fingerprints(unless you use a screen protector) and potential cracks.

about the headphone flap, it sure doesn't fit, at least when you try to put it normally. I did find a way to make it fit though, if you slightly bend the flap in and put it in the slot , then let it go, the flap sort of fits, but it is still looks a little bumpy. it should've been like a millimeter smaller for it to fit just fine.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I've decided to cancel and go with the Military gumdrop

thanks for the tip on this.

looks great! great alternative to the Otterbox Defender for Ipad 2 Fail

Too bad it does not have a front cover, but that would not be a deal breaker for me, the limitation in color would be, but I see they have a step down called the "Drop Series" which would suit my purposes just fine!

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I just got mine in the mail today. I was so ready to hate the case from all the horrible reviews. I must say I'm not thrilled with the case, but am satisfied only because it's most protective case for the iPad 2 available. I've been an owner of the first iPad Defender for 9 months, so here are key positive/negative, and some other points:

+ The cover. It's much easier to prop open with one hand. There are two viewing angles, one perfect for typing which my protractor measures at 20 degrees. Flip the cover around and the other angle is for viewing movies, etc, which measures at 60 degrees. The cover hinge no longer falls down when you remove the ipad, compared to the previous defender.
+ The volume, sleep, and home buttons are much easier to press when compared to the first defender. There is also noticeably less of a "click" sound when you press the home and volume buttons.
+ The few ounces they managed to remove makes it easier to hold.

- The cover. Each of the four corners of the front bezel are exposed when the cover is on the front of the ipad. It's clear that they did this so that the rear camera is always exposed when you put the cover onto the rear of the ipad. We all know the rear camera is ****, so this was a pretty bad decision. Hopefully they can put out a revised cover that actually covers the entire front.
- The bezel protection. The entire bezel isn't protected as in the original ipad. I assume they did this so that people can show off their white ipad, and to shave off an ounce or two from the weight, but it undermines the purpose of the defender.
- The speaker is exposed. I don't know how they could have gotten around this though, since the ipad 2 uses a grill VS the first ipad that had 3 large holes. The first defender simply put rubber around that area with 3 holes for the speaker.

iPad 1 with original defender and cover: 2 pounds 13.1 oz
iPad 2 with new defender and cover: 2 pounds 5.2 oz

When you put the rear cover on the ipad 2 and lay the device down on a table, it's ironically only about 1mm shorter than the original ipad with its cover in the same position.

Somebody mentioned being able to fit a quarter between the ipad 2 bezel and the hard case, or the dock cover not seating properly. If this is happening, then you didn't snap the two hard plastic pieces together properly when assembling the case, or didn't push the silicone into all of the gaps properly.

Somebody also mentioned that the headphone jack puckered at first when trying to close that part of the case. It doesn't snap into place as easily as the rotate/mute cover does, for example. However, if you pinch the headphone cover and then insert, it's a little easier to close.

They did shave half a pound off the cover, but at the expense of protection. It's not what I'm used to with the Defender line, but I'm still generally satisfied overall, primarily because this is currently the best ipad 2 protection.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
I concur with most all your observations. I still think that there should be a speaker cover, similar to the dock cover.

The only dilemma that I have is that with all the things that are not offered in this case, versus the D1 and all other versions of the Defender, is really a true Defender?

I am not sure. If this case was offered as the Commuter, then I could understand the spartan approach. I am of the ilk, that a Defender should be a Defender, not a hybrid.

That said, I am torn on what to do. If I send it back, then what? I still have not seen a case that is undeniably rock solid, like the D1.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Appreciate word and thoughts of iamthekiller & Db9938 on the Defender.

I may very well end up keeping it as well until the Drop series comes out.
Seems rather curious they were able to cover that rear speaker and Otter choose not too.

Mine arrives Tuesday, I'll decide then.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I ordered the defender on fri when they released it and the status in my account still says "being processed"
I called them yesterday and they said it'd be sent out today and it hasn't.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Let's just say I'm not happy.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I received mine on Tuesday and ordered it last Friday. I am pleased with it so far. I recommend it.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
Appreciate word and thoughts of iamthekiller & Db9938 on the Defender.

I may very well end up keeping it as well until the Drop series comes out.
Seems rather curious they were able to cover that rear speaker and Otter choose not too.

Mine arrives Tuesday, I'll decide then.

It's not that the speaker is not directly covered. It's covered from the direct back, but not from the side.

JimAtLaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Is it just me or do you NEED to put a screen protector on with this thing?

I was kinda hoping not to use one, but it seems like the plastic is pressing against the glass and I'm going to end up with the bezel all scratched up without a screen protector between the bezel and the polycarbonate case. (Weird that they would use soft rubber cushions against the back of the case but hard plastic against the glass?)

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
Is it just me or do you NEED to put a screen protector on with this thing?

I was kinda hoping not to use one, but it seems like the plastic is pressing against the glass and I'm going to end up with the bezel all scratched up without a screen protector between the bezel and the polycarbonate case. (Weird that they would use soft rubber cushions against the back of the case but hard plastic against the glass?)

Yep, that's why when you order it direct, they ship you one.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
You know, re- thinking this, the one thing that unsettles me the most, is that I have not received a response to the e-mail that I sent to Otterbox's customer service.

I mean if this is a sign of things to come, then I seriously need to find alternatives for things in the future.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
You know, re- thinking this, the one thing that unsettles me the most, is that I have not received a response to the e-mail that I sent to Otterbox's customer service.

I mean if this is a sign of things to come, then I seriously need to find alternatives for things in the future.

Relax. Just call them. They must get a hundreds of emails a day.

JimAtLaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Yep, that's why when you order it direct, they ship you one.

I don't think this is a sufficient answer. They characterize the thing as a free extra when you order direct - not as a required part in order to keep from damaging your iPad. If a separate screen protector is required, they should say this up front and include it in the package, as a lot of us don't have one and might not want one. (In the video they post of putting the thing together on the site, I don't remember any reference at all to putting a screen protector on before putting the iPad in the case.)

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
It's not that the speaker is not directly covered. It's covered from the direct back, but not from the side.

whatever, if its not protected, its not protected, front or side makes no difference to me, seems foolish.

I'm looking at getting the Drop Series even though I hate the tire tread back it has!

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
Relax. Just call them. They must get a hundreds of emails a day.

I am not pacing the floor, but in modern day and age, a company that designs and markets technology accessories, must be adept at responding to this world.

Making a phone call, why? It takes no more time or resources to answer an e-mail.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
I don't think this is a sufficient answer. They characterize the thing as a free extra when you order direct - not as a required part in order to keep from damaging your iPad. If a separate screen protector is required, they should say this up front and include it in the package, as a lot of us don't have one and might not want one. (In the video they post of putting the thing together on the site, I don't remember any reference at all to putting a screen protector on before putting the iPad in the case.)

I agree.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
whatever, if its not protected, its not protected, front or side makes no difference to me, seems foolish.

I'm looking at getting the Drop Series even though I hate the tire tread back it has!

I understand, there are a lot of things that I would change in this design. But I don't make IPad cases for a living.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.