Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Obviously I haven't read for hours on it like I have my iPhone, but the weight was very noticeable.

How did you know where your fingers were? I never look at they keyboard while typing and rely on the dots on the F/J to know where my hands are. When I looked down to try and type while not touching the keys I couldn't see them. Maybe there is a 1 handed typing method that will work best for the iPad?

I just don't see it as that different except for the much larger screen. Maybe the next OS will really give it some divergence.

a) You don't hold it in the air while reading a book any more than you do that with a book. You rest the book on your lap and you do the same with the iPad. It becomes a book.

b) Surprisingly, the best way to type is to treat it just like a keyboard. Look at the horizontal keyboard and set your fingers. Now look at the screen and start typing as you normally would. The first day it will be horrible. By the second day you'll be surprised. By the third day you'll be productive.

c) Size matters. My swimming pool/tub metaphor was designed to illustrate that point. Both are containers of water, but what you can do in the larger one is not possible (or very constrained) in the smaller. Functionality opens up.

jisaacs

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
iMad

I really dont like the news of this, just so that more of the iPads can be made available to US customers - not impressed Apple not impressed.

Blog post on subject: http://bit.ly/cfwxl8

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Multitasking is coming, and it's not meant to be a MBP-killer, so you'll have a long wait. This is a new type of device with a new type of interface. Get ready to see millions and millions of "idiots" buying into this new wave of computing. Don't get drowned by the wave.

just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean it's a good thing.

everyone jumps off a cliff does not mean it's a good thing.
everyone buys beanie babies does not mean it's a great product.
everyone eats fast food does not mean it's good for you.

2010 = the begining of Idiocracy. :rolleyes:

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Yes, well, it's a US company. Yay for the home team.

I don't agree.
I don' t think an european company would do this. If, say, BMW was short on supply, would they stop selling cars in the U.S. and only sell them in Europe?
Probably not!
This might not be the best example but why can't Apple just treat all customers the same, it would only be fair...

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I don't understand. This thing is losing steam, and all of a sudden supplies are constrained? 300 000 ipads were "sold" on the "first day", and the number was up to 450 000 last thursday am, after 4 more days of sales. Now, it's only at 500 000 after 6 more days. That is to say that (on average) ipads are selling at < 1/4 of the rate that they were between launch and the developers conference. I don't understand what has changed since last week. Were they expecting people to stop buying it altogether? Sounds like they just want an excuse to try to build up more hype. But of course they didn't want their international developers to know too far in advance that they would be shafted....

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
I think that it's now 60 days overdue? so 120 days after Steve presented the keynote.

Yep. Simultaneous worldwide release was the original plan, according to Steve at the announcement.

Ugh. I really, really wish they had figured this out earlier. I coulda just preordered one from the US and have it shipped over. I'd have it by now, probably at a lower total price than the official Apple European price.

I'm traveling to London mid-May, and I had hoped to pack an iPad instead of the bulky 15" laptop. Looks like I might buy a €300 netbook as a stopgap...sigh.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I don't agree.
I don' t think an european company would do this. If, say, BMW was short on supply, would they stop selling cars in the U.S. and only sell them in Europe?
Probably not!
This might not be the best example but why can't Apple just treat all customers the same, it would only be fair...

The problem with your argument is simple. BMW would go under. Apple won't.

calebx

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010

There's an iLemming born every second. I wholeheartedly agree.

But even a moldy old soft cheese for brains fanboy like him can spin the failures (not the plural) known as Apple TV and the MacBook Air.

After those "ooh... a laptop in a manila envelope" initial first couple weeks of buzz, look at it now. lol

He has FAIL written aaaaall over it!

Attachments

• 2v26vxy.jpg
    2v26vxy.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 65

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Up your's Apple, you had your chance to convince me to buy one, but if you're going to be so Pro American, and treat the rest of the world with contempt, you've lost my business.

Don't they realise that so much of there revenue is from us? That's why they spend so much on opening new shops.

um....it's a shame to hear that Apple have 'lost' your business...Wait! What's that in you sig? You have a MBP? And and iPhone 3gs? In White?

Apple are probably krapping themselves now.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

Yes, you've made your point clear, but you are wrong. It's a great device that lets you read, write, create, view, play, connect, listen and feel information. If that's idiotic, you're living in the wrong century.

sarko

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010

And I shall add: millions buy PCs and it's crap.

And when I spoke about a "bunch of freaks", I meant this.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm definitely taking advantage of this. My local Apple retail store has some iPads in stock. I'm buying a couple of them and sell them on Ebay for a nice high price then when the 3G comes out I'll have plenty enough money earned to basically get one for free. It's great to live in the U.S. :D

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I don't understand. This thing is losing steam, and all of a sudden supplies are constrained? 300 000 ipads were "sold" on the "first day", and the number was up to 450 000 last thursday am, after 4 more days of sales. Now, it's only at 500 000 after 6 more days. That is to say that (on average) ipads are selling at < 1/4 of the rate that they were between launch and the developers conference.

No.

The 300,000 included the WiFi pre-orders. Sales are not slowing down. In fact, as these new devices reach the market and people play with them, sales will increase. I'm responsible for two sales already, just from people who saw mine, tried it and said they wanted one.

It will be like the iPod. Started out well, but accelerated in sales later on as more people got to see this new device.

sarko

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Yes, you've made your point clear, but you are wrong. It's a great device that lets you read, write, create, view, play, connect, listen and feel information. If that's idiotic, you're living in the wrong century.

You forgot your signature: "sent from my Pad" :D

calebx

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Ever heard of living in denial?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, yes. The pathetic one-way street of fanboyism here.

Nokia is the #1 global cell phone maker, it's because complete and total a**holes buy them because they're jealous of Apple and want to punish them.

Is there literally nothing you guys won't spin??? Man, I want Kim Jong Ill and Fidel Castro to buy one so I can see how you can make excuses for them ("Oh, sure they're ruthless dictators and killers, but at least they have good taste in Fisher-Price toys for adults w/ dispoible income, so, ah... let's forgive the whole putting someone to death for questioning reality; they've already redeemed themselves! VIVA, Dear Leaders!").

Hmm, never questioning reality? I wonder who else does that? ;) :D *"baa's like a sheeple*

garbowza

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Here's hoping for some competition!

I'm really hoping the competitors can put together a device to rival the iPad. If Apple locks down this market, I don't think we'll be seeing much innovation any longer. But if Google or MS can somehow get some traction and at least keep Apple honest, I think we'll see a faster pace of innovation on par with what we've witnessed in the smartphone market.

I've put together a "route" of the most promising competitors. Photo tour of iPad alternatives

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
No.

The 300,000 included the WiFi pre-orders. Sales are not slowing down. In fact, as these new devices reach the market and people play with them, sales will increase. I'm responsible for two sales already, just from people who saw mine, tried it and said they wanted one.

It will be like the iPod. Started out well, but accelerated in sales later on as more people got to see this new device.

Exactly. Some people seem to forget that are are TWO launches for the iPad. We're going to have another one here in a couple weeks for the 3G version. I saw a poll a while back on what version of the iPad people planned to buy. It was basically a reverse bell curve, with the two most popular being the $499 wi-fi and the $829 3G. Round two could be as strong as round one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.