Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeatOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2007
Austria
Yes. Many big companies have outsourced jobs in the past and will do it in the future, Apple too.
And they don't do it for making products cheaper but to increase their profit.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Perusing dell.com, it doesn't seem like what Apple offers is "outdated." Apple offers the same CPUs, fast SSDs, same networking, lighter laptops, phenomenal Retina screens, plus touches like backlit keyboards and magsafe plugs - not to mention top tier service and support, including just walking into an Apple store with your device to get it serviced. About the only spot where it seems to fall short is using USB 3 instead of 3.1, but considering that SATA III is limited to 6 gbps, for a single drive connection over USB you're not really missing a lot. The fact is, the underlying component manufacturers haven't really moved a whole lot lately.

I see you took what I said as an attack on the Macbook's, They still make they best laptop on the market. I needed windows recently and wanted to take notes and picked up a Surface Pro 4, the build quality is on par with the Macbook Pro. Would I pick a Dell laptop over a Macbook Por? Never, however if I was to run windows, I'd get a PC.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It is much better than Virtual Box, and arguably the best available if you like to work in 'Coherence' mode where windows applications appear to be running in OSX.

The pricing is just outrageous though, in 5 years I would have paid $289.

I am thinking of jumping ship to VMWare.
I'm not attempting to invalidate your claim that Parallels works much better for you than Virtual Box, but my experience is quite different. Parallels did an acceptable job (for as long as I used it). It had more than it's share of bugs and glitches though. Coherence mode indeed is the selling point there. But as you pointed out, the pricing is pretty crazy. And their extortion-like sales model was the final straw for me.

With a small investment of time in learning about and tweaking Virtual Box, I've gotten it to the point where it runs XP, Win311, and Win98 VMs smoothly and with a very small footprint... even on my 11" MBA.

I have Parallels 11 and do not think there is a big sense to buy 12.... no need at all. Parallels 11 works fine. It runs smooth on macOS Sierra.
That is until they'll claim that a last minute update to Sierra requires you to upgrade to 12. :p (it's happened before... more than once)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.