Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liv4Mac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
NYC
Just out of curiosity, if the new machines are at the same relative price points as multimedia lays out, what should used/refurbished versions of the current machines go for?
Apple has been riding on the $2499 price for a while now. I believe the older Mac Pros will go down tremendously. I'm surprise that we have not seen a price drop yet. That is what usually tells me something new is around the corner.

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
Clovertown vs. Penryn

Assuming they do go all octo-core penryn, what approximate clock speed do you think would equal the performance of the current 3.0 clovertown machines? Is it highly dependent on the application?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Two Articles Point To Next Week For Sale

How do you know they'll be announced next week?
October 4 - Apple announcements brewing for late October [updated]
October 5 - Rumor has Apple hoarding supply of new 3.2GHz Xeons
Great. My system is going on ebay, Right Now.
Note top 3.2 GHz OctoCore model may retail for $3,999
Just don't be pissed at me if it comes in January. I don't think it will, November looks like the month, but still, don't be pissed at me. haha.
Nor me. We're only publishing guesses based on tea leaves with no inside information.
Assuming they do go all octo-core penryn, what approximate clock speed do you think would equal the performance of the current 3.0 clovertown machines? Is it highly dependent on the application?
If you don't know you need more speed then wait for BareFeats to tell us. Otherwise - Get In Line Willie. ;) :eek:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am still a little skeptical about the entire lineup being 8 core. I think Apple will make the top end 8 core standard for the current price of $3300

What they need to do is let the Mac Pro line continue pretty much as is with two Intel Xeon chips, whatever Intel's current high end chip happens to be.

Then make another line that is comparable to the old "power mac" from 1999. These had one processor
chip and sold for about $1500.00 The new chips would allow Apple to again sell a $1500 tower. As it stands Apple is completely absent from the "mainstream" desktop market. They have only some very specialized products that are not what most people want. Apple notebooks are selling well but their desktop lineup is gone missing

I've deside I'm going to get a midrange desktop Mac in early '08 even if I have to build on myself.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I ended up buying a Mac Pro earlier this year because it was only Mac that really fit what I needed (a tower that gives me the options of lots of drives), but it was overkill for most of my needs. I wish they at least had a single-CPU option like they used to with the G5 PowerMacs. I didn't want a physically smaller machine, but I would have gone with a less powerful and cheaper one if I had the option. But I got the Mac Pro 2.0, w/ 2 SuperDrives, Bluetooth/Wifi, then threw in 4GB (for total of 5), and filled up all the hard drive bays with drives I already owned. I have never owned a computer that cost this much (the 486 my dad bought ages ago might've come close). I'm the type who does just fine buying hardware that is on the trailing edge/low-end. I won't be replacing this computer for a LONG time.

I can't really complain about the hardware much. I do think they should include eSata ports in the next Mac Pro considering they already have the SATA ports for it. Either that or another two internal hard drive bays, but I understand that in its current form, there's not much room for that.

I think part of the problem with Mac Pro's being expensive is that the used market is not an option because no one wants a G4/G5, they want Intel (with good reason). If that wasn't the case, buying an older used tower would be a good option for those who wanted a tower but were on a budget. Maybe in a few generations this will be the case.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What they need to do is let the Mac Pro line continue pretty much as is with two Intel Xeon chips, whatever Intel's current high end chip happens to be.

Then make another line that is comparable to the old "power mac" from 1999. These had one processor
chip and sold for about $1500.00 The new chips would allow Apple to again sell a $1500 tower. As it stands Apple is completely absent from the "mainstream" desktop market. They have only some very specialized products that are not what most people want. Apple notebooks are selling well but their desktop lineup is gone missing

I've deside I'm going to get a midrange desktop Mac in early '08 even if I have to build on myself.
Those single processor Mirrored Driver Door machines still work diligently to this day as well.

They're going to see Leopard. Those were much better times for Apple's desktop tower market. :(

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Harpertown/Stoakley/Seaburg - The Geeky Details

I wasn't familiar with the motherboard improvements Multimedia was talking about... so a Google search pulled up this article:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13224

Definitely worth a read to get more of the technical details of what's to come...

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I would. That would be cruel and unusual punishment beneath Apple to commit.

I hope you're right, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

On a related note, the slower DDR2 would still run fine, right? (mostly just out of curiosity, since if the price difference to get 16 gig is only a couple hundred it's probably not worth it....)

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
About time! This is gonna make so many ppl I know happy. And just to stoke the argument a little further, I think there should be a mid-range tower. I also think that there are a number of pieces of recent news (Wolfdale purchase speculation, Mac Mini having been touted as nearing EOL for so long now, midrange product much more heavily rumoured to be appearing in laptop line aka "MBP tablet") and ppl have a right to complain, even in this thread, for the umpteenth time.

I, for one, could ideally use an MP for work, but superquiet or not, it would be overkill (and overspending) to sit another one next to the projector, even if it could scale to 1080p on the fly, whereas a Mac Mini struggles to play those files altogether. If Apple would only let me have both computers I need... :rolleyes:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
The Faster 1600 MHz FSB Needs 800 MHz DDR2 Ram

The slower DDR2 would still run fine, right? (mostly just out of curiosity, since if the price difference to get 16 gig is only a couple hundred it's probably not worth it....)
Not if you buy a 1600 MHz FSB model. You'll need the faster ram to take advantage of the faster motherboard's FSB as dictated by the processors. But the difference is only going to be about $230 more so no biggie.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Not if you buy a 1600 MHz FSB model. You'll need the faster ram to take advantage of the faster motherboard's FSB as dictated by the processors. But the difference is only going to be about $230 more so no biggie.

ok, cool. that's no biggie, 'specially since i'm *only* going to add 8 gig initially.
:D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
I wasn't familiar with the motherboard improvements Multimedia was talking about... so a Google search pulled up this article from TECHREPORT.com

Intel's Stoakley platform and 45nm Xeons
In the wake of AMD's Barcelona, Intel counters
by Scott Wasson — 4:00 PM on September 18, 2007

Definitely worth a read to get more of the technical details of what's to come...
Thank you for finding that. This is a super excellent 11 page report on the state of Stoakley with Harpertown I have not seen before. Awesome photographs.

Great Get Atari1356. :)

Attachments

• penryn-diesWEB.jpg
    penryn-diesWEB.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 96

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Those single processor Mirrored Driver Door machines still work diligently to this day as well.

They're going to see Leopard. Those were much better times for Apple's desktop tower market. :(

Yes they were. Even when the Power Mac G5 was on its way out, students could get one for $1800, or find a used but less efficient model for less. And as for the G4s, they were still screamers compared to the G5s which held less HDDs. Many a student picked up refurbed dual processor G4s clocked at 867 MHz and 1 GHz. Finding the rare but powerful dual 1.42 GHz machines was amazing, because they could be had for $1000 completely stripped naked.

I ended up buying a Mac Pro earlier this year because it was only Mac that really fit what I needed (a tower that gives me the options of lots of drives), but it was overkill for most of my needs. I wish they at least had a single-CPU option like they used to with the G5 PowerMacs. I didn't want a physically smaller machine, but I would have gone with a less powerful and cheaper one if I had the option. But I got the Mac Pro 2.0, w/ 2 SuperDrives, Bluetooth/Wifi, then threw in 4GB (for total of 5), and filled up all the hard drive bays with drives I already owned. I have never owned a computer that cost this much (the 486 my dad bought ages ago might've come close). I'm the type who does just fine buying hardware that is on the trailing edge/low-end. I won't be replacing this computer for a LONG time.

I can't really complain about the hardware much. I do think they should include eSata ports in the next Mac Pro considering they already have the SATA ports for it. Either that or another two internal hard drive bays, but I understand that in its current form, there's not much room for that.

I think part of the problem with Mac Pro's being expensive is that the used market is not an option because no one wants a G4/G5, they want Intel (with good reason). If that wasn't the case, buying an older used tower would be a good option for those who wanted a tower but were on a budget. Maybe in a few generations this will be the case.

I think the updated Mac Pros will also bring a new life to the refurbed Mac market. When they first debuted and kicked the Power Mac out of the line up, a lot of users picked up the G5s and G4s that they were replacing, but knew that the software market would be changing fast and understood the implications of buying into an old processor. Now that the Mac Pros currently in store will be on the refurbed bench, many users may be able to get that 2.66 GHz model for around $2199 and get the 2.0 GHz model for $1999 or less.

For those considering an underpowered Mac Pro for a new concept for Apple, you may want to keep your eyes peeled for deals like that. I am not too sure that many people got the quad 2 GHz Mac Pro, but on the used market it may be what you have been looking for.

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
45% faster according to Intel.

I think the 45% speedup applies specifically to SSE4 optimized code.

I think more like 20% will be the norm (clock for clock), which is still quite impressive.

Of course, I recently upgraded my 4-core 2.66 MP to an 8-core 3.0 Clovertown MP, so I'll have to be happy with what I have for now. I know, it's so slow compared to these new machines, huh! ;)

What I am really looking forward to is new graphics card options that will work in all the Mac Pros. Motion is very reliant on the GPU and in an 8-core machine the GPU (even on my X1900) is slowing things down.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
This may be a silly question but will Leopard, Adobe CS3 and Apple pro products be able to fully utilize these 8 core processors?

Adobe After Effects still does NOT utilize multiprocessors!! I have a quad 2.66 with the latest AE CS3 and Tiger installs + 4GB RAM. Just try checking that box in the prefs! It will bring your machine to it's knees! It doesn't work! I can't get any work done with it. Unchecked on a single proc seems to run previews and renders fine.

So how about fixing it Adobe?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Adobe After Effects still does NOT utilize multiprocessors!! I have a quad 2.66 with the latest AE CS3 and Tiger installs + 4GB RAM. Just try checking that box in the prefs! It will bring your machine to it's knees! It doesn't work! I can't get any work done with it. Unchecked on a single proc seems to run previews and renders fine.

But is it faster than a G4 Dual 800MHZ? It'll be all worth the money if so. lol

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
if those are the new mac pros, they are still huge, i would of thought :apple: will design something smaller, i mean who the f*** needs 3 TB of hardrive?

Duh. Video Editors and production Pros that's who. They need to keep the pro machines BIG for expandability. 4 hard drives are nice. 8 would be even better!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes they were. Even when the Power Mac G5 was on its way out, students could get one for $1800, or find a used but less efficient model for less. And as for the G4s, they were still screamers compared to the G5s which held less HDDs. Many a student picked up refurbed dual processor G4s clocked at 867 MHz and 1 GHz. Finding the rare but powerful dual 1.42 GHz machines was amazing, because they could be had for $1000 completely stripped naked.

I think the updated Mac Pros will also bring a new life to the refurbed Mac market. When they first debuted and kicked the Power Mac out of the line up, a lot of users picked up the G5s and G4s that they were replacing, but knew that the software market would be changing fast and understood the implications of buying into an old processor. Now that the Mac Pros currently in store will be on the refurbed bench, many users may be able to get that 2.66 GHz model for around $2199 and get the 2.0 GHz model for $1999 or less.

For those considering an underpowered Mac Pro for a new concept for Apple, you may want to keep your eyes peeled for deals like that. I am not too sure that many people got the quad 2 GHz Mac Pro, but on the used market it may be what you have been looking for.
I've noticed massive price drops in the Power Mac G4 market as well.

Higher end Quicksilver and even Mirrored Drive Door models regularly hit $300-400 over at LowEndMac.

I have a professor that has an old Dual 450 MHz and a dead iBook G3. If they're interested in Leopard I might suggest a faster used Power Mac.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Please don't start this discussion up again. :(

I hope they bring in new displays, before they bring in a replacement to the MacMini.

It's not going away until apple fills the enormous chasm in their product line between the mini and the towers.

This would be a perfect opportunity. If they can ship 8 core machines for the same price as the current 4 cores, that means they could add an even cheaper tower with 4 cores instead of just making the line all 8's, whether it's the same tower design, or a smaller, cheaper one.

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland

I hate to break everyones bubble but many applications use multi-core CPU's poorly or not at all. Keep Activity Monitor open and display the CPU usage while you work. It's not a pretty sight. I'm hoping for some improvement with Leopard but the developers need to get on the stick and start coding for Multi-Core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.