Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I'd like to see them do better than that. If Dell can sell a machine with a base Dual Core Xeon for $1,400, Apple should at least be able to hit $1,750.

That's a 1.6ghz Xeon in basically a barebones configuration. If anything, it shows how much of a waste a xeon/5000x setup is a single CPU setup.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I'm hoping the faster RAM won't cost us more than $999 for the 16GB kit.

Wow. I'm officially an old fart! I remember when a high end system came with 16 MB of RAM, not 16 GB! That's a 100 times increase (or is it 1000 times?) - a full order of magnitude larger!

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I hope it comes soon.

It is time to upgrade my Quad G5. I need to sell it while has Applecare and still a great machine. Do it Apple, Do it!:D

Hmm... if you MUST upgrade your Quad G5, then I NEED to upgrade my Single 1.8Ghz G5. I think a new Quad Mac Pro will fill the spot. No way I need/afford an Octo.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Wow. I'm officially an old fart! I remember when a high end system came with 16 MB of RAM, not 16 GB! That's a 100 times increase (or is it 1000 times?) - a full order of magnitude larger!

An order of magnitude is 10x bigger ;). As 1GB is 1024MB, its over 3 orders of magnitude more.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I couldn't agree more. I forgot to mention the Blu-Ray drive... but my gut is telling me there won't be one yet. Would it be too much of a pain to install an internal BRD afterward?

I think they are available but expensive. a blu-ray drive for adding on is about $1000k USD, personally i think that is a crazy price and it needs to come down big time. these drives ought to cost 3-400 US dollars, and come down over time for them to catch on.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
It's not going away until apple fills the enormous chasm in their product line between the mini and the towers.

This would be a perfect opportunity. If they can ship 8 core machines for the same price as the current 4 cores, that means they could add an even cheaper tower with 4 cores instead of just making the line all 8's, whether it's the same tower design, or a smaller, cheaper one.

I have been saying for years that Apple needs to make a mid range tower with expandability and power.

it is so frustrating they haven't lifted a finger and make people buy either an imac or mac pro. mac mini's have very little real power.

oh well... wish Apple gets a clue and stops being so stubborn

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
I know a lot of you think that the ACDs are beautiful as they are and all... Well I agree some extend - they are nice, but some new **** has come to light.. And given the nature of all this new ****, you know.. This could be a lot more complex!

You gotta feed the monkey, man.

P.S. I can get you a toe.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
putting a core 2 duo into a mac pro box is idiotic and lame. it needs more power than a laptop chip. you know that.

You do understand that the Core 2 series is a family and not just a laptop chip right. It has three branches:

T-series: laptops
E/Q-series: desktops
Xeon 5000 series (as in Mac Pro chips): workstation/server

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
I suppose this is a joke post. :rolleyes: No chance. That type of configuration will not be possible for another year or so.

At least two years, if ever. You don't really need 16 general purpose cores in a machine. By the time you get to that point, you can't find enough code to run. And when you do, it is more likely the media manipulation stuff, which would actually benefit more from less general purpose cores, and more special purpose cores. (Hence the cancerous growth of SSE)

Look at the PS3 CPU for the model here. One general purpose, 7 or 8 of the special purpose.

The reason I say two years, is that Intel has only just begun their work to create something akin to AMD's Hyper Transport/NUMA memory bus architecture.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If Apple were to release a Core 2 machine it would require a new motherboard, correct? If that's the case I don;t see them doing it anytime soon, though the though of being able to tap the 3rd party hardware market further for upgrades is mouthwatering.

I have been saying for years that Apple needs to make a mid range tower with expandability and power.

And Apple have been saying for years that mid towers are needlessly wasteful, since relatively few people exercise even 10% of the upgrade potential of a tower form factor, preferring instead to buy a new machine. Apple bases their entire consumer product philosophy on this notion.

The Mac Pro only exists as a tower because that is perceived to be absolutely necessary for pro computers.

I don't agree with this concept myself, and would like to see a cheaper tower from Apple, but the vast majority of those calling for a mid tower are gamers, a group Apple cares less about than any other at the moment.

Personally, I will be shelling out for a Mac Pro when the time comes to replace my PowerMac...I'd love a cheaper mid-tower but the advantages of the Mac OS, in my opinion, outweigh the hardware benefits of going Windows/Linux.

weblogik

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Question
I'm going to be using my new macpro 85% of the time in Adobe CS3 (photoshop mainly_my work) and 10% of the time in Logic studio purely for fun

Is it worth for me to get a top of the line octo? will cs3 even be able to take advantage of the top of the line processor or will a low-mid model do the same ?

I can afford it but i dotn want to spend the money and maybe use the saved money for ram and some peripherals...

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
putting a core 2 duo into a mac pro box is idiotic and lame. it needs more power than a laptop chip. you know that.

I'm sure 85 people have already beaten me to this, but core2duo is just a marketing term for intel's high end desktop and laptop chips. Conroe is a desktop chip, and a very good one. the e6600 is rather well known for fantastic overclocking and amazing performance, one of the IT guys at work has one that did the photoshop test on cs3 in under 20 seconds.

That said, mac pros should have xeons, and a mid range tower should have a core2duo desktop chip.

Mozutaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
California
Oh wow, this is a pleasure to wake up to! A real, honest to God, Mac rumor, and it's the Mac Pro! Brings a tear to my eye...no wait, that's just morning gunk.

Leopard and a refreshed Mac Pro would really just make my year. I've been dying to get off this G4 iMac and start on my backlog of video editing and Photoshop projects. Just need to not die before then. :p

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Adobe After Effects still does NOT utilize multiprocessors!! I have a quad 2.66 with the latest AE CS3 and Tiger installs + 4GB RAM. Just try checking that box in the prefs! It will bring your machine to it's knees! It doesn't work! I can't get any work done with it. Unchecked on a single proc seems to run previews and renders fine.

So how about fixing it Adobe?

That might be a Tiger design deficiency. Try it on Leopard and report back.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country

Oh feh. My first computer had 16KB (Atari 400) -- "When I was your age we had to bang rocks together to get 1s"

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I'm sure 85 people have already beaten me to this, but core2duo is just a marketing term for intel's high end desktop and laptop chips. Conroe is a desktop chip, and a very good one. the e6600 is rather well known for fantastic overclocking and amazing performance, one of the IT guys at work has one that did the photoshop test on cs3 in under 20 seconds.

That said, mac pros should have xeons, and a mid range tower should have a core2duo desktop chip.

Apple would likely use Core 2 Quad processors rather than dual core, otherwise you just have an iMac without a screen. Which won't happen.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
I hope it's 2GB stick not two 1GB sticks.

Considering the thing has 8 RAM slots, who cares? If you're buying 16 GB of RAM to fill every slot, you can afford not to care. At least it (hopefully) won't be 512MB sticks like it is now. Personally, i'm planning on going 4GB+. If the base has 2 GB, i may consider going to 8 GB, and if it has 4 GB base, i DEFINITELY will go to 8 GB. 3rd party upgrade of course, much cheaper.

As for the quiet issue, i have been in the apple store when it was dead quiet with not many people in there and i didn't hear it at all. Granted, that was in a retail environment, but that's the only time i've used one. I will be purchasing one, though, with the next revision if it has blu-ray support. If it doesn't, i still may, because my iMac G5 2.1GHz/1.5GB is a bit tired of doing HDV video editing. With leopard, my iMac will SCREAM as my general use desktop, but for video it's a bit slow.

the 1600 MHz FSB, possibility of dual quad-core across the line, 24 MB cache, and maybe (please) 1 TB hard disks is what most excites me about this.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No case redesign, please!

One of the things I love about the current Mac Pro is its case design. It's roomy, well cooled, expandable, and VERY easy to work in. Yes, it's big, but this is a GOOD thing; how many times have you had to install or remove a hard drive from a tiny cramped case?

I can't think of any negative issues with the current Mac Pro's case. Subtle tweaks and enhancements would be okay, but I don't want to see a total redesign. The Mac Pro's case is one of those things that Apple got very right.

Not to mention it's one of the few computers that can sit on the floor and survive minor flooding. ;)

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
This is driving me crazy! I don't know when or if to sell my current system. I don't know if it'll sell for an amount that will allow me to buy a new one. I don't know if the new ones will be released with new displays, or whether i'll be stuck without a display for a while. Why can't Apple just announce things way in advance like normal companies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.