Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPluto

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Just received my 15" MBP 2.4 matte with a 9C81.

I can't really say if I have the yellow tint issue , but I can say that the two available test pics clearly show that the white at the top of the screen is "clear white" and the bottom of the screen is kind of "dirty white". So there definitely is a difference, but it's hard to say whether this is the yellowing. Are your screens all over "clear white"?

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Im waiting for my 3rd Penryn 2.5 15" matte replacement already both 9c82 that CHIsomething panel had yellow problem. I have no idea why Apple even bothered with them, it seems just by reading the forum alone the greatest number of yellow tint problems occur in 82's, samsungs and LGs (83 and 81) are the best so far, hopefully my replacement will be either 81 or 83, Im tired of sending them back the machines already :(

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Im waiting for my 3rd Penryn 2.5 15" matte replacement already both 9c82 that CHIsomething panel had yellow problem. I have no idea why Apple even bothered with them, it seems just by reading the forum alone the greatest number of yellow tint problems occur in 82's, samsungs and LGs (83 and 81) are the best so far, hopefully my replacement will be either 81 or 83, Im tired of sending them back the machines already :(

It's weird that they're still using Chimei. when the MBP first came out I got two Chimei panels and returned them both because of very unevenly illuminated displays and murky whites (non LED panel). I'm sure others must have complained too and yet Apple keep putting those crappy LCDs in their high-end notebooks.

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
It's weird that they're still using Chimei. when the MBP first came out I got two Chimei panels and returned them both because of very unevenly illuminated displays and murky whites (non LED panel). I'm sure others must have complained too and yet Apple keep putting those crappy LCDs in their high-end notebooks.

Yeah I doubt samsung or lg have some kind of manufacturing limitations that apple has to use chimei, especially the amount of money it costs them to deal with all the returns.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
Yeah I doubt samsung or lg have some kind of manufacturing limitations that apple has to use chimei, especially the amount of money it costs them to deal with all the returns.

i don't think APPLE is admitting there's a problem in the first place.:D
yes they're exchanging MBPs but they're not acknowledging that this is a "massive" problem warranting a recall or change of LCD manufacturers

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
i don't think APPLE is admitting there's a problem in the first place.:D
yes they're exchanging MBPs but they're not acknowledging that this is a "massive" problem warranting a recall or change of LCD manufacturers

It's just much cheaper for them to deal with individual customers' complaints (most customers don't notice or don't care) than to ensure high quality from the beginning. Simple calculations I guess, but insulting given the high price apple customers are paying.

At the end of the day, we're all part of the problem: the LCD manufacturers are ones churning out crappy displays, Apple is not insisting on better quality because it wants to keep costs low and profit margins high and we, as customers, are not complaining enough by returning computers more often or choosing other manufacturers.

cujoe86

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
17'' Matte Hi-Res LED Backlit display

Mfg# 9C7A

Color is perfect right out of the box for me. No need to calibrate

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
9C83

15"//2.4 ghz/GLOSSY//250 gig hd//2 gig ram

Received three days ago.

Slight yellowing at bottom, barely noticeable.

I am not returning it. Not worth it.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Just received my 15" MBP 2.4 matte with a 9C81.

I can't really say if I have the yellow tint issue , but I can say that the two available test pics clearly show that the white at the top of the screen is "clear white" and the bottom of the screen is kind of "dirty white". So there definitely is a difference, but it's hard to say whether this is the yellowing. Are your screens all over "clear white"?

This is the problem here people! This dude cant even tell clear and dirty white@! this is a classic case of a person is smart , people together are dumb. this is a mob mentality MOB!

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
9C81

I have the "cheap" Penryn, 2.4 off the rack.
Bought it the friday after the release, took two back for dead pixels and this is the third one on the third day. No dead pixels, but this one actually benchmarks less than the previous two, also the battery doesn't hold as much of a charge according to coconut battery and istat. But what can I say, I love it anyways.

Edit: oh yeah, its a matte.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
15.4" matte 2.5 GHz Penryn MBP, stock 5400 rpm HD

9C83

No yellowing as far as I can tell. However, at any angle beyond ~50-60 degrees (where 90 is perfectly perpendicular to the LCD) the whites become very yellow.

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
9C83, and it's horrible. Whites look like they have a layer of dirt over them, and when I move a window around it's like I'm moving it underneath a dirty sheet of glass. I'm returning it for sure.

To those who have returned one for screen issue, what was your experience at the Apple Store? Did you have to argue, or did they address your issue without giving you too much resistance.

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I've had three 9C82's, and all three had the same clear white at the top, dirty white (+ yellowing) at the bottom issue that was obvious and pants.

I showed the genius and he could see it immediately, and replaced the machine without problems. The second one I opened in the store, and it had the same issue. They chatted to the manager who agreed to open a third - it had the same issue. They were cool about it, apologised and gave me a refund. Of course, what I really wanted was a machine with a decent display...

I'm back to a different Apple Store tomorrow, to try and see if I can find a machine with a decent display.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
9C83, and it's horrible. Whites look like they have a layer of dirt over them, and when I move a window around it's like I'm moving it underneath a dirty sheet of glass. I'm returning it for sure.

To those who have returned one for screen issue, what was your experience at the Apple Store? Did you have to argue, or did they address your issue without giving you too much resistance.

I found the geniuses to be worthless. They all said it's in-spec. I had to escalate it to the manager to get it exchanged without a restocking fee.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
seems like 9C81 is the favorite here. It's the panel with the least amount of problems.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
seems like 9C81 is the favorite here. It's the panel with the least amount of problems.

I'm not sure if that's true. The first one I had was a 9C81 and it was very yellow on the bottom. The second one is a 9C83 and it still has some yellow but not quite as bad.

Frankly, none of the 15" screens I've seen are all that impressive to be honest. The MBA screen I have is very good. I also saw in a store for the first time the other day a 17" hi-res LED model. I only had a minute to look at it but it seemed very bright and very white.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
More 9C83's have yellowing than 9C81. And some kind of problem rendering shadows...

I can say my 9C81 has no yellowing whatsoeveer, not at the bottom, and certainly no yellow tint. Crisp whites. Fairly uniform screen too :D

I would NEVER swap or give this one up, I'd just be asking for problems.

levifig

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ames, IA
9C79 (Hi-Res 17'' matte)

No problems whatsoever! Excellent whites and light is even through the whole screen...

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I wonder if anyone can find out the manufacturers/models of the MBA screens, and compare them in spec/price to the ones used in the MBP?

Are they MBA screens a higher pirce/spec than the MBP screens? Or are the MBA's using more recent display batches where the quality control has improved?

Because the MBA screen is the same size and technology - so why don't they have the problem?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'm not sure if that's true. The first one I had was a 9C81 and it was very yellow on the bottom. The second one is a 9C83 and it still has some yellow but not quite as bad.

Frankly, none of the 15" screens I've seen are all that impressive to be honest. The MBA screen I have is very good. I also saw in a store for the first time the other day a 17" hi-res LED model. I only had a minute to look at it but it seemed very bright and very white.

I agree that the MBA screens are nice, BUT they have more 'grain' than the MBPs have and are not as smooth as the macbooks. To see the grain, just drag a white window around and you'll see what looks like specks all over the place - very subtle, but compared to the macbook, it's not nice looking. Having said that, the MBA screen is otherwise a much better display than the macbook in terms of brightness, viewing angles and uniformity. It just isn't perfect either....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.