Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
so if we resume this thread, there is 3 manufacturers

9c81: lg
9c82: chi
9c83: samsung

Most people who had LG said that their screen were fine with no yellow issues. Some people with Samsung said their screen were alright but some complained with the yellow tint issue. And well..most people with chi said they had the yellow tint issue.

So, if i do have a samsung panel and it has the yellow tint problem, it could be a lot of change with Apple before I get a working with no yellow issue display?

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
so if we resume this thread, there is 3 manufacturers

9c81: lg
9c82: chi
9c83: samsung

Most people who had LG said that their screen were fine with no yellow issues. Some people with Samsung said their screen were alright but some complained with the yellow tint issue. And well..most people with chi said they had the yellow tint issue.

So, if i do have a samsung panel and it has the yellow tint problem, it could be a lot of change with Apple before I get a working with no yellow issue display?

All 3 Manufacturers have some of their displays with tye yellow, the 9c82 is the worst of the displays. of the 3 MBP's ive had so far they were all 9c81's and 2/3 of them had the yellow, my replacement screen is a 9c83 and it has far less yellow the the 9c81's i had and its hardly noticeable. if you swap out your mbp at an apple store then its like a toss up and you could get the yellow again. If you get the screen replaced its far less likely youll get one with yellow or you may get one that is incredibly hard to notice, the reason why is the techs are supposed to check the new display when they replace it just to make sure it works and they usually wont send you one with a yellow problem or atleast one that is incredibly hard to notice like mine.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
9C72???? I think I have read about 30 pages of discussion on color profiles and don't remember seeing one reference to this screen?

Am I so unique?

Doubt it :eek:.

So anyone have a profile they like for the (apparently rare...) 9C72 ?

Jim

Oh, its in my MBP 17" Glossy

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Hey Guys,

Quick question - just ordered a 2.4 Penryn from Mac Connection... if I have this issue, can I bring it to an Apple Store and get the machine/screen swapped? Do I have to send it back in to Apple and wait a week or two? Or pay a restocking fee @ Mac Connection?

Sorry for the super newb question, this is my first mac in 14 years and I'm not terribly clear on how the retailer/Apple store/warranty thing works. :) As much as I would like to just walk in and pick one up at the Apple store down the street, I'm saving like $300 between tax/rebate/free Fusion copy and that's hard to not bite at.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but when I go to Displays>Color>Open System Profile, it has blank spaces next to Device Manufacturer, Device Model and MD5 Signature. How do I find the display model number?

Double click on line 13 in the top section. It should open up another window.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I've got 9c81 and it looked just fine until I set the background to all white. Then I noticed a slight yellow half way up the dock. It looks more like a shadow. Is this what everyone's talking about or is it much more drastic than this?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I've got 9c81 and it looked just fine until I set the background to all white. Then I noticed a slight yellow half way up the dock. It looks more like a shadow. Is this what everyone's talking about or is it much more drastic than this?

There are several things that can be visible: the yellow tint, uneven backlighting and backlight bleeding. What you're describing - the shadow - sounds more like uneven backlighting than yellowing. Are you sure it's yellow, or could also be just darker than other areas? There are different gradations of yellowing, but they're all quite clearly yellow rather than darker white.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
There are several things that can be visible: the yellow tint, uneven backlighting and backlight bleeding. What you're describing - the shadow - sounds more like uneven backlighting than yellowing. Are you sure it's yellow, or could also be just darker than other areas? There are different gradations of yellowing, but they're all quite clearly yellow rather than darker white.

It's more like off-white. The size is about the same size as the shadow that's cast by the safari window on an all white desktop.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
It's at the bottom and extends up about 1/2 inch? That's light bleeding - it seems like most 9c81 have that. There are worse problems, so I think it's ok if you don't see it all the time...just my opinion.

flyinthesky

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
9C81, LG (model LP154WP2-TLA3). Excellent display. No yellowing whatsoever. Slight light bleeding on top and bottom, but not too bad. Very satisfied with it.
i feel it acceptable, mine is AUO and have the same problem.
i can not note it except the pure black screen.

jraneses

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
I took delivery today of a new 15" 2.5ghz Penryn MacBook Pro. The screen is pretty nice, and doesn't appear to have the yellow tint issue. It is slightly unevenly lit, with a little bleed on the top and bottom. On off angles, it looks somewhat splotchy in color when displaying a solid gray screen.

I haven't been able to find out much about the manufacturer of the actual panel. The manufacturer # is 610, model # 9C80. It's kind of hard to gauge how "nice" of a screen it is compared to others out there. I'd prefer to have a Samsung panel if possible, but nobody seems to know much about 9C80. I had a 9C83 prior to this one, and it looked better IMO. Does anybody know who makes the 9C80?

n8c

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Is 9C81 uneven backlighting near bottom of screen common?

It's more like off-white. The size is about the same size as the shadow that's cast by the safari window on an all white desktop.

I started out with a 9C83, which did have a slight yellowing on the bottom of the screen, though not enough to be terribly annoying. It was most visible when putting the screen at 90 degrees to the keyboard, and actually lifting the computer so that the bottom of the screen was at eye level. Only then did it look noticeably yellow. Since at a usual viewing angle, very little yellow is visible, I am fairly convinced that the discoloration is within normal manufacturing specifications; it's probably a normal artifact of LED backlighting technology as we have it today, and this is why Apple is not doing anything about it. Just stop looking at your screen at funny angles, and you should be fine!

In any case, that computer of mine was replaced due to an unresponsive keyboard/trackpad upon waking from sleep, and now I have a 9C81. No yellowing here, but I do see the abovementioned darker area near the bottom of the screen. Perhaps 0.5 to 1.0 inches above the bottom bezel, the backlight is definitely not as bright.

Is this unevenness common--do other 9C81 owners have anything like this? It's not that annoying, but I do notice that the whole screen is not the same brightness.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Mine says 0000... weird???

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 73

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
All 3 Manufacturers have some of their displays with tye yellow, the 9c82 is the worst of the displays. of the 3 MBP's ive had so far they were all 9c81's and 2/3 of them had the yellow, my replacement screen is a 9c83 and it has far less yellow the the 9c81's i had and its hardly noticeable. if you swap out your mbp at an apple store then its like a toss up and you could get the yellow again. If you get the screen replaced its far less likely youll get one with yellow or you may get one that is incredibly hard to notice, the reason why is the techs are supposed to check the new display when they replace it just to make sure it works and they usually wont send you one with a yellow problem or atleast one that is incredibly hard to notice like mine.

How do you get your screen replaced? Im waiting for my 3rd replacement, first 2 were 82's both had bleeding on the edges and horrible yellow tint..

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I haven't been able to find out much about the manufacturer of the actual panel. The manufacturer # is 610, model # 9C80. It's kind of hard to gauge how "nice" of a screen it is compared to others out there. I'd prefer to have a Samsung panel if possible, but nobody seems to know much about 9C80. I had a 9C83 prior to this one, and it looked better IMO. Does anybody know who makes the 9C80?

The 9C80 is made by AUO - I have one also. It seems to be what they are putting in their current batches of machines. Slight yellowing, but I'm going to live with it. If anyone can share any hardware calibrated profiles for the 9C80, that would be cool...

jraneses

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
What's the general consensus on which vendor makes the best screen? Historically, anything produced by Samsung tends to be higher quality, but with the yellowing issues noted here, most with a 9C83 seem to have received bad units.

Of the many factors that went into my decision to get a MacBook Pro over a MacBook, having the higher quality, larger LED backlit display was at the top of the list. After spending a day or so with 9C80 based new machine, I'm pretty disappointed with the screen. Most panels have some backlight bleed and aren't entirely evenly lit, but usually the LED backlit models tend to be better that the previous CCFL generation. Quality wise, the panel on my new MBP doesn't seem to be much of a step up from the CCFL, with the exception of it being brigher and using less battery.

jraneses

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
The 9C80 is made by AUO - I have one also. It seems to be what they are putting in their current batches of machines. Slight yellowing, but I'm going to live with it. If anyone can share any hardware calibrated profiles for the 9C80, that would be cool...

Thanks for the info. Are you content with your display? Do you notice any backlight bleed on the top and bottom of the screen when running an all gray or other block color background? Also, how evenly lit is the panel? Not many of us seem to have the 9C80 panel, so I'm definitely curious.

I'm heading off to a local Apple store in about an hour to compare the screens on the display models, just to put things in perspective as I evaluate if I am going to return my MBP.

Update:

After checking out two MacBook Pro models at the Apple store, one had a LG panel, the other a Samsung. Both looked fairly good, with the edge going to the Samsung. It didn't appear to be affected by the yellowing issue. I really want to find another 9C80 panel to compare mine to, but I'll probably have a tough time finding one. I haven't checked my other local store, but I wonder if it's possible that Apple is only distributing 9C80 panels on BTO notebooks.

Thanks,

Jason

starfruit4463

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
9c82. Slight yellowing over bottom thirdish halfish. If I pretend its not there then I don't notice it as much.
Im over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.