Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
Need a clarification.

If you take a stock (AT&T locked) 1.0.2 iPhone and upgrade to 1.1.1, and then downgrade the 1.0.2. Does the GSM/phone still work?

arn

No, at the moment this process only downgrades the firmware, not the baseband. After the firmware is downgraded, GSM/phone functions do not work!. There is no process at the moment to downgrade the baseband (yet). Though it has been confirmed that WIFI connectivity still works...

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
this guy was able to reflash the baseband and have working phone service. bricked iphones can now REJOICE!

link

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
here is the dev's team downgrade guide.

link

That has been already linked to using CoralCDN in the first post of this thread.

this guy was able to reflash the baseband and have working phone service. bricked iphones can now REJOICE!

link

This has not been confirmed, though in that thread, it is being "checked out".

I also would like to add this note:

The iPhone Wiki is looking for a NOR dump of the 1.1.1 baseband. Instructions are posted here:
http://iphone.fiveforty.net.nyud.ne...tting_a_NOR_dump_of_04.01.13_G_Modem_Firmware

betoverli

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Marlborough, MA
Error

I am getting this error when trying to downgrade... (when the iTunes is extracting the firmware 1.0.2):

The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1).

this is happening before it can be upgraded.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

[update] Found the problem... thanks!

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
On the Hackint0sh Fourms, someone has claimed to of downgraded the baseband, this was the process this person used (This has not been confirmed):

pspsully said:
<SNIP>

6. Reflash Old Modem firmware using Putty.

(Elaborated)

Install SSh on Iphone using installer.app ot ibrickr or whatever you want. In ibrickr, i created a new folder called unlock, in this folder i uploaded bbupdater, ICE03.14.08_G.eep and ICE03.14.08_G.fls.

I then used Putty to connect to the iPhone and ran the following commands,

chmod +x bbupdater
launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
./bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

After doing this i got an error saying failed to download fls image, could not verify or something like that. I restarted the iPhone and did the same thing again, the exact same commands as above and this time got no error.

7. Just use the Unlocking method of your choice, i used iBrickr and anySIM1.02

Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original Thread: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9027

cah87

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Confirmed. It works. I'm back in business. :)

The only thing I'm going to miss is the bluetooth headset battery indicator. :(

Here's what I did:

1. Plug iPhone in and sync iPhone, then close iTunes
2. Hold the Home button and power button until the screen goes black (around 8 seconds for me), release the power button but keep holding the home button.
3. iTunes will reopen when it detects the iPhone in recovery mode.
4. Holding ALT (on Mac, dunno in Windows) click Restore and choose the 1.0.2 firmware in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone updates
5. It will restore, and throw an error message when it's done. Unplug your iPhone and close iTunes.
6. Download AppTapp 3.1 installer and run it, plug your iPhone in. It will not work, but it will take the iPhone out of recovery mode.
7. Open iTunes and sync your phone from the backup created in step 1.

Some notes:

The reports of wifi not working are wrong, mine works fine.
When I go to Settings -> General -> About it says my modem firmware is 04.01.13_G and that my "Version" is 1.0.2 (1C28)

This works, believe it. I did it, you can to. :D
i knew you would change your tune once a revert or new hack came out lol :)

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Cheers, I'm back at 1.0.2 :)

Now, if we could just jailbreak with 1.1.1.... ;)

I think that for now, that goal is a long long long time away from being reached. The only thing this downgrade gave us, is a dump of the updated baseband, which only shows us part of it. The difficulty is getting around all of the signing and encryption that is now added to the process.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No, at the moment this process only downgrades the firmware, not the baseband. After the firmware is downgraded, GSM/phone functions do not work!. There is no process at the moment to downgrade the baseband (yet). Though it has been confirmed that WIFI connectivity still works...

I downgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 and everything is fully functional on my phone. Am I misunderstanding what you're sating?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I downgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 and everything is fully functional on my phone. Am I misunderstanding what you're sating?

yeah you're misunderstanding him. at the time he wrote that, there was no confirmed method of downgrading to 1.0.2 and still have phone service.

iPhoneyboy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
I just finished switching back to 1.0.2 - THANK YOU - to all who pioneered this method. It worked fine for me. I did it with the current iTunes version... I'm happy to have my phone back from 1.1.1 hell.

I even reinstalled all my custom ringtones with iphoneringtonemaker and iToner. Yes, I know I'm weird - I use both.

The only thing, it took while to delete old email (stored on the server) that kept down loading to my phone... and I had to reassign my "Favorites"... but a small price to pay to have 1.0.2 back! :)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
What did you do? The bbupdater process after you downgraded?

No, I didnt do that. I did exactly what i listed in my first post and everything worked just fine... :confused:

All i did was restore using 1.0.2 and nothing else. I'm using installer.app and it works over edge, phone calls, voice mail etc...

In fact, a restore point i made by syncing itunes worked, and all the settings for custom apps before 1.1.1 are still here, apparently they were saved the whole time.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but why did you upgrade in the first place? Wouldn't it be more prudent to wait and see if the hacks were being disabled by the upgrade?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but why did you upgrade in the first place? Wouldn't it be more prudent to wait and see if the hacks were being disabled by the upgrade?

If nobody upgraded before the hacks are released, then how, exactly would hacks ever be released? And how would we know of hacks are disabled by the update if no one updated?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So iBricks are turning into iPods now then?....well done hackers. Have to say that was pretty quick as a first work around.

Why alter the IMEI codes though...so Apple can easily identify iBricks?

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
If nobody upgraded before the hacks are released, then how, exactly would hacks ever be released? And how would we know of hacks are disabled by the update if no one updated?

isn't that something the people who produce the hacks and unlocks should be testing?

Or does only Apple have the responsibility for making sure everything works flawlessly.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, well, I know that, but it seems like there are a lot of people who upgraded and quite a few of them sound like people who have just followed the instructions to hack their phones instead of being hackers themselves. Anyways, I was just curious, that's all.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon

So that means that even if you're not looking to do the SIM-Unlock (the user has a straight up AT&T account), the newer BaseBand firmware in not compatible with 1.0.2? It's not just the SIM-Unlock users that are needing the BaseBand downgraded, but ANYONE who went to 1.1.1 and wants to go back?

[Edit]: I just re-read that The General was able to. Hmm... Still, not with the simple Option-Click on Restore, though. Bummer. [/Edit]

Whew. I'm glad I never ran 1.1.1 yet, but I do have someone asking me about it. Being a non-techie and used to just flying along with OS X updates on her Mac, she went ahead and installed 1.1.1 before calling me and asking about it. And, of course, since I'm the one who walked her through the Installer.app process in the first place, I'm the one who's supposed to have the answers... There's no way I could talk her through all these "hold the button" steps. Not this gal. :eek:

I was hoping to find that a simple Option-Click on the Restore button would do it. I've done that already, resetting 1.0.2 back to a fresh 1.0.2, but of course it can't be that easy. Not if "I" need to do it. :eek:

[Edit 2]: Ok. I just saw over at the hackint0sh thread...

Preliminary reports say that the OS is downgrading but the modem firmware is not (aka, the modem firmware stays at 04.01.13_G instead of downgrading to 03.14.08_G). This allows use of Wi-Fi but not GSM functions (phone/edge/sms) unless you're using AT&T.

But, I guess you still have to go through all the hoops and not just a simple downgrade restore with iTunes.
[/Edit 2]

francisturgeon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
BSD subsystem problem

Does anyone got an bsd subsystem error message when installing it???

when i try to install the bsd susbsystem, it download, unpackage but an error message appear: Error during install script execution

can somebody help me????

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Now here's an interesting thought. From the iPhone Dev Wiki.
--- Actually i've flashed a couple times to see how it goes, I think baseband can be flashed if i use a 1.0.1 firmware, which i did it at first, then i upgrade to 1.1.1 and then back to 1.0.2 again, that's how i got 1.1.1 baseband with 1.0.2 firmware. i think if you do it 1.1.1 -> 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 it will give you 1.0.2 baseband/modem firmware. I might be wrong because unlocking is what I care less, but you guys who's interested can try it out.
Does anyone know if 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 did a baseband update (which would have remained the same baseband for 1.0.2)?
I'm not sure how the message timestamp works at that Wiki, but if it gets translated to my local time then it's only been up for a couple of hours.

This guy could be on to something if 1.0.1 actually did a baseband update. This late in the game, however, it could be hard to find out the easy way, since I'm sure pretty much everybody updated to 1.0.2 once it was known that all hacks still worked.

[Edit]: I found an old blog post (dealing with updating to 1.0.2) where some guy (with bad English, but he asks to excuse it) says "being that min he is 1,00 and file of the modem is ICE03.12.06_G.fls" At the time he appears to be asking about another way to bring up firmware to 1.0.2 because he didn't want to break his (at the time current) SIM unlock.

Not making fun of his broken English, but it's really hard to read... That's what it looks like, though. So, with my 1.0.2 and not yet updated to 1.1.1 phone, I have 03.14.08_G showing on mine in Settings. Looks a little more promising if 1.0.1 and/or 1.0.2 actually did update Modem Firmware. [/Edit]

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Does anyone got an bsd subsystem error message when installing it???

when i try to install the bsd susbsystem, it download, unpackage but an error message appear: Error during install script execution

I just did a fresh 1.0.2 back to 1.0.2 restore, then AppTapp install... BSD SubSystem loaded fine here. Had a long pause during install script, but it broke loose and finished after about 1/2 minute of sitting.

Sorry. Don't know how to help your error, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.