Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
great news

The breakthrough of going back to 1.0.2 is so amazing, that I'm removing my microwave oven and going back to conventional cooking. I also don't need my iPhone anymore. I found a way, with a rotary dial phone without the headset, to send morse code to my friends by touching a live wire to the metal edge of the dial, it's much more authentic than text messaging.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Just currious, but are you guys going to stay at 1.0.2 forever just to be able to hack your iPhone?

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Can someone who is on AT&T confirm to me that their phone/edge works after downgrading to 1.0.2 but without downgrading the modem firmware?

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
"forever" or "until 1.1.1 is opened up", whichever comes first ;)

I am getting ready to go back to 1.02 also -- but a quick question.

I am an ATT user but will be traveling outside the country for about a month and would like to use a local SIM. If I unlock the iPhone after returning to 1.02 will I be able to revert back to "locked status" using ATT when I return home?

(Or should I just take an old unlocked phone along instead?)

Thanks.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Can someone who is on AT&T confirm to me that their phone/edge works after downgrading to 1.0.2 but without downgrading the modem firmware?

Nevermind on the conformation. I went ahead and did it, and everything worked fine for me. The only problems were that my visual voicemails that were there are still there, but they don't play. Also I lost all the pics in my camera roll, and installer.app is taking FOREVER to refresh the sources.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
wow, alrighty then.... have fun with that.
:D

And you guys have fun getting all excited over updates, only to find that Apple has added nothing except some new way to give them more money! Meanwhile, we'll be enjoying all the functionality that the iphone should have but doesn't because Apple has decided they they'll save it for a future update.

I'm sorry, but I can't see how the last update was 'fun' or 'exciting', Maybe the next one will be better, but then again there will tons of new software for the unlocked ones by then too.

I'll wait as long as it takes for a new unlock and if that never happens and Apple never releases another unlockable iphone, this will be my last iphone.

IxStyleZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
San Antonio, TX
I am getting ready to go back to 1.02 also -- but a quick question.

I am an ATT user but will be traveling outside the country for about a month and would like to use a local SIM. If I unlock the iPhone after returning to 1.02 will I be able to revert back to "locked status" using ATT when I return home?

(Or should I just take an old unlocked phone along instead?)

Thanks.

if your traveling out of the country i advise u to stick with 1.1.1 since u can turn off edge.

if u dont turn it off it will charge you roaming with edge.

1.0.2 does not have that option.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
if your traveling out of the country i advise u to stick with 1.1.1 since u can turn off edge.

One could always turn off the phone when not using it to reduce roaming charges. :cool:

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

A soon as you put in another sim, you get the option to change the edge settings - just put in the wrong information and it won't use edge. There are NO roaming charges when your'e using a local sim - that's why those of us who travel feel this is important.

Seriously, I think that the main reason people are so upset about all of us who unlock is that they don't get how terribly expensive and inconvenient (because you have a US number that nobody will ever use to contact you) it is to roam with ATT when you travel a lot.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

I have AT&T and EDGE and GSM functions
work perfectly fine. I downgraded fron 1.1.1 and still have the new modem firmware.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I have AT&T and EDGE and GSM functions
work perfectly fine. I downgraded fron 1.1.1 and still have the new modem firmware.

Yes but the only reason it works, is because you did not unlock your phone, your using the standard AT&T sim that came with the iPhone. Until the baseband is downgraded, with an unlocked phone, this will not be possible with any other sim.

macaron1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
London
SDK Next Tuesday

I've been following the whole debacle and ended up upgrading to 1.1.1 yesterday, figuring I could live without AppTapp for some time.

My personal take -- mind you, purely speculatively -- is that Apple will open the phone platform to third-party dev very soon. I wouldn't be surprised at a public SDK that coincides with the release of Leopard.

Think: the about-face during the race to install Windows on Intel Macs (Bootcamp followed some days after the first successful hack); the recent volte-face on the iPhone price-cut; SJ's sly denial of the possibility of video on iPods two years ago; and so on.

Not to sound caustic, but everyone will love them again (and they will make the news) if (or rather, when) an SDK is released.

That said, I would also expect them to continue to sabotage unlock hacks. An unlocked phone implies a loss of $1000+ on Apple's part, doesn't it?

Btw, the updated o/s is much snappier. It seems Summerboard, as nice-looking as it was, was a dog on resources.

My very first post on MR :D

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
I'm wondering with the rollbacks, did you guys tried to bring the iphone with correct imei and completely restore (no 3 apps party showing) to genius bar and get it repair or replacement?

Because I updated my iphone to 1.1.1 and got bricked with "incorrect sim" message. Then I followed the revert firmware method and it worked. Now i'm at 1.0.2, but still show "incorrect sim" message. The only thing different is when I click on "i" button at the activation screen on iphone, it shows the correct imei instead of hacked imei. Will I able to bring this to apple store and get it repair or replace without being turned down due to hacking?

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Unlocked iPhone with AT&T Contract - Need Advice.

Alright... I haven't been able to clear answer to this anywhere, so I am hoping someone can help me out here.

I have a fully-functioning iPhone with 1.0.2 firmware and a valid 2-year AT&T contract. However, a few weeks ago I had to travel to Europe for work. So instead of paying 99c/min for roaming charges from AT&T, I decided to unlock the iPhone using the anySIM/iUnlock method. Once I unlocked the phone, I then restored the phone using iTunes Restore function so that all the 3rd party applications were wiped off - I didn't really want any 3rd party apps. While in Europe, I used a European pre-paid SIM card temporarily and this worked great and I was able to save a bundle - Thanks Dev team.

I am now in back in the US and have re-inserted the AT&T sim card that came with the iPhone and that works great as well. But, I am still on 1.0.2 and I would like to upgrade to 1.1.1. Is there any way I can restore the phone to "virgin" state prior to upgrading to 1.1.1 so that the update goes smoothly for me? Or is there no way of doing this at this time?

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Alright... I haven't been able to clear answer to this anywhere, so I am hoping someone can help me out here.

I have a fully-functioning iPhone with 1.0.2 firmware and a valid 2-year AT&T contract. However, a few weeks ago I had to travel to Europe for work. So instead of paying 99c/min for roaming charges from AT&T, I decided to unlock the iPhone using the anySIM/iUnlock method. Once I unlocked the phone, I then restored the phone using iTunes Restore function so that all the 3rd party applications were wiped off - I didn't really want any 3rd party apps. While in Europe, I used a European pre-paid SIM card temporarily and this worked great and I was able to save a bundle - Thanks Dev team.

I am now in back in the US and have re-inserted the AT&T sim card that came with the iPhone and that works great as well. But, I am still on 1.0.2 and I would like to upgrade to 1.1.1. Is there any way I can restore the phone to "virgin" state prior to upgrading to 1.1.1 so that the update goes smoothly for me? Or is there no way of doing this at this time?

We were told to hold off updating until dev team find a relock method since you might brick your iphone.

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
We were told to hold off updating until dev team find a relock method since you might brick your iphone.

Well, I did some research and found a few relocking (viginizing) methods on the web. Here are the links...

http://www.iphonegoboom.com/#restore (scroll halfway down the page)
http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-do-i-restore-my-iphone-to-factory-virgin-state/
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/24/relocking.your.iphone/

Seems like these might work. Had anybody tried these with success???

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Well, I did some research and found a few relocking (viginizing) methods on the web. Here are the links...

http://www.iphonegoboom.com/#restore (scroll halfway down the page)
http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-do-i-restore-my-iphone-to-factory-virgin-state/
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/24/relocking.your.iphone/

Seems like these might work. Had anybody tried these with success???

Yea, from dev webpage, they said don't try to use that method since it does not work. I could be wrong since there might be someone out there who were able to do it successfully

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I performed the downgrade on my at&t contract iphone last night and it went perfectly! i decided to do it on my pc instead of my mac. either way, i didn't have any problems.

The features in 1.1.1 were nice but i can live without the wifi store.

i dont know when/if 1.1.1 will be hacked. but i am not holding my breath as i don't think it will happen any time soon.

i also dont think apple is anywhere near opening up the phone. it would be nice if they did but they aren't required to.

geren

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
whorked for me, took a couple tries

just felt I would share my results.

My phone was purchased on the release date and updated right when the updates became available. After 1.0.2 came out I put installer on my phone. Never unlocked. I updated to 1.1.1 and lost it. Restored my phone a couple times trying to use the old restore file that was still located in my itunes folder. Last night I tried the method metioned here and thought I bricked my phone 2 times. First attempt the screen stayed solid white the second time I was unable to turn it back on. What worked for me was:

1. restored phone
2. quite itunes
3. held down power and home till screen went black.
(this is where i thought i bricked for the second time because I thought I should keep the home button depressed until itunes started back up. Well after about 30 seconds of waiting for itunes to start I realized that wasn't going to happen. I undocked the phone and tried turning it on, no luck.)
4. placed the phone back in dock.
5. I launched itunes and my phone came back up and I restored it with 1.0.2, at the end it gave me a failed message. And the old yellow triangle was back.
6. quit itunes removed phone from dock.
7. ran app tap then redocked the phone, I think got some error.
8. Quit app tap launched itunes and tried restore again and it worked.
9. ran app tap after and it worked too.
10. ran around the room in jubilation.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
just felt I would share my results.

My phone was purchased on the release date and updated right when the updates became available. After 1.0.2 came out I put installer on my phone. Never unlocked. I updated to 1.1.1 and lost it. Restored my phone a couple times trying to use the old restore file that was still located in my itunes folder. Last night I tried the method metioned here and thought I bricked my phone 2 times. First attempt the screen stayed solid white the second time I was unable to turn it back on. What worked for me was:

1. restored phone
2. quite itunes
3. held down power and home till screen went black.
(this is where i thought i bricked for the second time because I thought I should keep the home button depressed until itunes started back up. Well after about 30 seconds of waiting for itunes to start I realized that wasn't going to happen. I undocked the phone and tried turning it on, no luck.)
4. placed the phone back in dock.
5. I launched itunes and my phone came back up and I restored it with 1.0.2, at the end it gave me a failed message. And the old yellow triangle was back.
6. quit itunes removed phone from dock.
7. ran app tap then redocked the phone, I think got some error.
8. Quit app tap launched itunes and tried restore again and it worked.
9. ran app tap after and it worked too.
10. ran around the room in jubilation.

Is step 10 really necessary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.