Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
if your traveling out of the country i advise u to stick with 1.1.1 since u can turn off edge. if u dont turn it off it will charge you roaming with edge. 1.0.2 does not have that option.

That's the whole point of having an unlocked phone... so you can use local SIMs without roaming.

Every other GSM phone lets you do this. It's the main reason to get one, and why it's so popular in locations where you can cross into other countries a lot, and with world travelers.

drm309

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
My God...You Guys are a lifesaver!!!!!! My Phone has personailty again!!1 THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!:D

claytonaugust

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
So after nearly 10 tries, I was able to downgrade my firmware. I am an AT&T user, and hadn't used 3rd Party apps before, but wanted to give them a shot.

...and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Unless I'm missing something, there is really no killer app for iPhone, and most of the apps I tried seemed more like a "look what my iphone can do!" gimmick.

I think I'm going back to 1.1.1 after I flaunt Summerboard to a couple friends with 1.1.1 on their iPhones.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Unless I'm missing something, there is really no killer app for iPhone, and most of the apps I tried seemed more like a "look what my iphone can do!" gimmick.
I was with you on this, but the very day the update came out (and after I installed it) the Taskbar Notifier came out. It's not a killer app, but it's something I've been hoping for from Apple since day one. That said, I think I'll stick it out with 1.1.1 for a week or so and se what the hackers come up with. In an ideal world, I'll get Taskbar Notifier AND double clicking on the home button.

claytonaugust

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
I was with you on this, but the very day the update came out (and after I installed it) the Taskbar Notifier came out. It's not a killer app, but it's something I've been hoping for from Apple since day one. That said, I think I'll stick it out with 1.1.1 for a week or so and se what the hackers come up with. In an ideal world, I'll get Taskbar Notifier AND double clicking on the home button.

True, there was taskbar notification on my Samsung A900, but I'd say the tons of red flags covering my home screen are a pretty decent replacement :p

iPhone is great, it has all the features your last phone didn't have, and doesn't have any of the features your last phone DID have :D

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Successfully downgraded.

I have a regular iPhone, no unlocked sim, no iFunbricktastic, and I successfully downgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 on the second try with only a minor hiccup/restart of the phone.

I followed these directions step by step, now I can use installer.app no problem. I'm glad I have my game machine back!

#1 First, download the iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw [3] from Apple. On a Mac, do not unzip the file, iTunes will do this for you in step 4.
#2 Then connect phone to dock, and hold down home button and power button for about 10 seconds or until the screen goes black.
#3 Now release the power button but continue holding the home button. After about 10 seconds the computer will detect the iPhone in restore mode, and iTunes should tell that the phone needs to be restored.
#4 Hold down SHIFT key (Windows) or Option/ALT-key (Mac) when clicking the Restore button, and select the file you downloaded in step 1.
#5 Let the restore complete and ignore the error at the end. (Should be error 1013).
#6 Now your phone should show the "Connect to iTunes" screen with the yellow triangle.
#7 Run AppTap to jailbreak your phone - it will restore it to a working 1.0.2 firmware it even though you will get an error at the end. Just dismiss the error and quit the installer.
#8 Run AppTap again to actually install the installer.app. It should successfully complete. Keep rerunning AppTap if it doesn't work the first time - it may take a few tries.

Step 8 is where I had to reset the phone to get AppTapp to work the second time without error.

The 1.0.2 firmware file you need is here.

AppTapp is here.

I used Leopard 9A559 w/ seed patch installed, iTunes 7.4.2 (4), on a Dual G5 Tower. It should work for other systems though, including Win.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have a regular iPhone, no unlocked sim, no iFunbricktastic, and I successfully downgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 on the second try with only a minor hiccup/restart of the phone.

I presume everything works just like before you upgraded? Phone, edge etc...

arn

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Yes, all is well. The only things I lost were un-synced photos, wifi passwords, recent calls list, and my exchange account setup (which is not on my mac to begin with). Address Book was synced beforehand, It activated, redownloaded my voicemails after I entered my password, and synced my contacts, music, and mail accounts afterward just fine.

crandel

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007

Are you able to uninstall apptapp from your iphone after doing this? Are you also able to upgrade to 1.1.1 in the future with no problems?

This could be what I have been looking for!

crandel

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Forgot to ask one question:

Does this work for iphones that already have 1.1.1 out of the box?

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
originally i wanted to buy an iphone to be used without the phone portion because of all the extras it has over the ipod touch like 3rd party apps. then 1.1.1 came out and i was hesitant. so with this downgrade, i can use all the functions of the iphone without the phone? i don't want at&t and or care to unlock it for tmobile since i have verizon anyways.

thanks

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Are you able to uninstall apptapp from your iphone after doing this? Are you also able to upgrade to 1.1.1 in the future with no problems?

AppTapp is required to downgrade, I'm not sure if you can remove it, but why would you want to? Yes, you can restore back to 1.1.1 after a downgrade if you want, that will remove AppTapp and any apps/ringtones installed, just sync your address book and pics first. Follow the directions I posted for downgrade.

Does this work for iphones that already have 1.1.1 out of the box?

Yes.

so with this downgrade, i can use all the functions of the iphone without the phone? i don't want at&t and or care to unlock it for tmobile since i have verizon anyways.

Yes and no, I'm not sure how you go about getting past the activation screen, probably by unlocking and/or using a blank sim, which I don't recommend but people have apparently done it.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Yes and no, I'm not sure how you go about getting past the activation screen, probably by unlocking and/or using a blank sim, which I don't recommend but people have apparently done it.

I thought once I downgrade to 1.0.2, I can use the jailbreak software to activate all the ipod and wifi function. Is that no longer true in this case?

thanks for your help

tokolosche

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
An unknown error occured (1).

Just wondering if anyone knows what the solution to this error is? "An unknown error occured (1)." I have version 1.1.3 from the latest full restore, and no matter what I try when I am trying to downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, I keep getting this error...

I am getting this error when trying to downgrade... (when the iTunes is extracting the firmware 1.0.2):

The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1).

this is happening before it can be upgraded.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

[update] Found the problem... thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.