Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367662858.160159.jpg

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'll be adding to this thread in a couple weeks. I'm working on purchasing a bike and all the components before the end of the month. I have a question for you all.

I'm buying a road bike and was planning on getting some SPD dual platform pedals, so that I could use the clipless shoes most of the time, but could also ride with my sneakers occasionally. However, I can get a higher quality pair of SPD-SL shoes (Shimano SH-R191) for about the same price as I was spending on the SPD shoes I'd picked out (Shimano SH-R088).

I'm not sure what to do, because they don't make dual platforms for SPD-SL shoes. However, I've read online that SPD-SL pedals are generally wide enough to use with shoes, and as long as it isn't wet outside, I'll get enough grip.

I haven't ridden a bike much in the last 15 years, so I'm a newbie. What would you suggest for the pedals/shoes?

dhindo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
lets see the bike and pedals your getting :)

I'll be adding to this thread in a couple weeks. I'm working on purchasing a bike and all the components before the end of the month. I have a question for you all.

I'm buying a road bike and was planning on getting some SPD dual platform pedals, so that I could use the clipless shoes most of the time, but could also ride with my sneakers occasionally. However, I can get a higher quality pair of SPD-SL shoes (Shimano SH-R191) for about the same price as I was spending on the SPD shoes I'd picked out (Shimano SH-R088).

I'm not sure what to do, because they don't make dual platforms for SPD-SL shoes. However, I've read online that SPD-SL pedals are generally wide enough to use with shoes, and as long as it isn't wet outside, I'll get enough grip.

I haven't ridden a bike much in the last 15 years, so I'm a newbie. What would you suggest for the pedals/shoes?

UHFrank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Fuji Altamira 2.3 full carbon

I saved up for this beauty right here and got it a couple days ago. I love it. My last bike had Shimano Sora set. This one has the Ultegra set, it shifts like a dream compared to sora. I did the MS150 from houston to austin last month and had a blast and look forward to doing it next year along with other rides throughout the year.

This pic is from Fuji's site.

Attachments

• 2013_FUJI_Altamira_2_3_C.jpg
    2013_FUJI_Altamira_2_3_C.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

dhindo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Sweet roadie!!!yep!im using a 105/ultegra and dura ace components on my bike from tiagra and sora!and YES,it is smooth!!!

Though im thinking about switching to SRAM red group in the near future...:)

I saved up for this beauty right here and got it a couple days ago. I love it. My last bike had Shimano Sora set. This one has the Ultegra set, it shifts like a dream compared to sora. I did the MS150 from houston to austin last month and had a blast and look forward to doing it next year along with other rides throughout the year.

This pic is from Fuji's site.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

SPDSL is technically wide enough for shoes... But its wonky, only good for a quick test ride. You wouldnt want to leave your driveway.

SPDSL is a large triangle 3 boot cleat designed to spread the pressure from the force of pushing pedals, the shoes that pair with them are stiff for a similar reason.

It is the fitness/sport/race bike cleat system. Once you get used to the comfort, you wont want to go back.

SPD 2 bolt dual platform pedals are for convenience. A city bike, if you have a bike with racks and your riding over to the local market to stock up. A light touring/commuter bike.

They are for two completely different cultures.

I use both, on different bikes, they each have purpose.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
A suggestion:

You seem to want to ride your bike with clipless pedals, but have the ability to get off and walk around. The SPD2 cleats with a mountain bike style shoe will allow for this. The cleat will be recessed into the shoe letting you walk around comfortably.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
^ beautiful.

8722716032_9157b1ba1d_c.jpg

Went for a ~50 mile ride around lake washington after work today, then a mile from home, *clunk*, crank arm poops the bed. :eek:

8721595499_11001bcc99_z.jpg

As much as I love my bus pass I'm pretty glad I was a short walk past a number of pubs from the house. Also happy to have a spare at home. I still count it as a good ride, half way in I bumbled into a group ride going my general direction and they let me tag along, got to learn a new chill route and make some friends along the way. :)

thinkpatience

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
bicycle.jpg

A friend and I (with absolutely no bike experience at all) went out and purchased 2 of these Surly road bikes, and they are great. I think they are "Long Haul Truckers", we had them custom fitted to our bodies and peddled from Pennsylvania to Florida.

They got us there with no problems at all and held up nicely. Even after a nasty spill my buddy took.

P.S.
If you have the time, do a long distance bike ride, it's a life changing experience.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI

A friend and I (with absolutely no bike experience at all) went out and purchased 2 of these Surly road bikes, and they are great. I think they are "Long Haul Truckers", we had them custom fitted to our bodies and peddled from Pennsylvania to Florida.

They got us there with no problems at all and held up nicely. Even after a nasty spill my buddy took.

P.S.
If you have the time, do a long distance bike ride, it's a life changing experience.

Awesome! That's something I've really wanted to do for a while. Are those normal road bikes or are the frames beefier?

thinkpatience

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Awesome! That's something I've really wanted to do for a while. Are those normal road bikes or are the frames beefier?

Oh you should! I think they're normal frames, stainless steel, pretty light weight. Like I said, I really don't have any experience with bikes, other than this trip, but here's a link to the model...

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker

As for the time - it took us 34 days and that's longer than average... We both took our good-ol-time in the outer banks.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
A suggestion:

You seem to want to ride your bike with clipless pedals, but have the ability to get off and walk around. The SPD2 cleats with a mountain bike style shoe will allow for this. The cleat will be recessed into the shoe letting you walk around comfortably.

This will vary greatly depending on the shoe. I have a pair of Specialized MTB shoes that you can distinctly hear the cleat clicking on pavement/flooring. I purchased a pair of Shimano MTB shoes, and the cleat is more recessed on this shoe, making them silent on the pavement. They are not comfortable to walk around in though. A quick run into a store, yes. A walk around a downtown area for more than about 1/4 of a mile, no.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Still in the midst of exams, but I'll be able to ride soon. Here's my bike, staring outside dreaming of summer.

IMG_20130509_092105.jpg

slieu92

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
California
it gets me to and from campus alright. contemplating about flipping it to a fixed clog.

idk why it's 90º off. clicking on it displays it correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 157

Mr Pink57

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
a van down by the river
Are you rolling a fatty up front?
I am. I just use it as training, adds almost 3lbs to the bike so when I swap to "God mode" it makes the bike feel like nothing. There are a few sandy trails here in MN/WI area so it is nice to have for those areas also along with Spring when conditions can be all over the place.

It's also the front end of my winter bike with a studded rear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.