Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you returned your 2016 Pro? -Leave a comment explaining why, or why not.

• Yes - 13" nTB

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Yes - 13" TB

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Yes - 15"

Votes: 73 15.3%
  • No - 13" nTB

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • No - 13" TB

Votes: 81 16.9%
  • No - 15"

Votes: 218 45.6%

• Total voters

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Returned mine.

Didn't have an issue with the machine apart from some graphical glitches. Battery life was 9-10 hours with light use, perfect screen uniformity and keyboard was great.

However, in the end I couldn't justify paying so much for it. I instead purchased a 2015" model for £1000 cheaper.

Same experience . It's a very nice laptop and would have kept it, though not for a £1000 difference . Keeping the 2015 refurb and spending the money on a holiday

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
2016/15/512/460

No - I haven't returned it.

I've not experienced a single problem and cosmetic condition is perfect. I'm happier with it than I thought I ever would be.

I love the keyboard I can type so fast on it. I am typing this on my iMac keyboard and it feels really heavy in comparison.

I've really embraced USB-C and couldn't be happier.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
He told me to bring the laptop to Apple store and ask for repair.... I did not like the idea to have my bland-spanking new mac repaired so I returned.

That's not what I would call customer friendly.
Do they really think someone would buy a brand new laptop at a more than premium price point, get a defective unit out of box and let them repair it? That would basically mean refurbished for full price point while having to wait until they've repaired it.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
2016/15/512/460

No - I haven't returned it.

I've not experienced a single problem and cosmetic condition is perfect. I'm happier with it than I thought I ever would be.

I love the keyboard I can type so fast on it. I am typing this on my iMac keyboard and it feels really heavy in comparison.

I've really embraced USB-C and couldn't be happier.

After reading the issues others have experienced I'm feeling even more attached to my new 15" MBP. It's been absolutely flawless. No blemishes, no screen issues, no touch bar glitches, sturdy finger print scanner, great battery life etc.

I've been considering exchanging this 15" for a 13" tMBP. But the more I think about it the more I like having the quad core i7 and 16GB RAM which will likely help prolong the life of this machine as web browsers and other software gets more and more resource hungry. I'm also growing to enjoy having more screen real estate, at the cost of the difficulty in using it in tight spaces like on an airplane.

This thread has helped reconfirm my purchase for me. Thanks everyone! :D
[doublepost=1482937868][/doublepost]
What is Apple's return policy? Because most of you act like it's as easy as pie to return.

It's extremely easy. I exchanged a 13" non-touchbar MBP for a 13" tMBP 2 weeks after purchasing the first one. A week later I exchanged that 13" tMBP for a 15" tMBP. In fact, It's been 3 weeks since buying this 15" tMBP and I could walk into the store today and return it for a full refund if I wanted, thanks to their extended holiday return policy.

Their holiday return policy states that if you bought the computer on November 10th or later, you have until January 7th to return it. Normally it's 14 days. There is no open box charge or anything.

Reactions: Virgo

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I actually had two top end 15 see below only exchanged for color reasons. But both machines worked as advertised and I'm really liking it. I like the keyboard, TB, the new USB-c ports. Battery life I have not really tested I'm usually powered anyway so really can't comment on that. I'm a power user connected to be goer monitors anyway. I'm away right now for two weeks to shoot a big job but I rented a TB monitor anyway for it. Battery is not a big deal to me. But no way is it going back.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Last night I finally tested the battery life a bit more thoroughly. So I'm not expecting anywhere near 10 hours from this scenario, but can anyone comment how a recent model might do? I was streaming an NHL game at full brightness. I was using Safari and Flash, and that made the dGPU kick on according to Activity Monitor. I was probably on pace for 4-5 hours, which seems low, but that's a lot more intensive than playing a local video file in iTunes on 75% brightness like they do on their tests.

I'm rarely undocked anyway, I mostly use it to be portable when I need it, like last night at a friend's for a few hours, so battery life isn't paramount, but it'd still be nice if it was a bit longer in that situation. I won't be trying to edit photos or videos on battery too much, so this is about as intense as it'll get on battery. Just wondering what older models might get in a similar situation.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I'm about to. Not because of battery life, but actually because I think I would prefer the 13" size. With the 15" I'm finding I don't even use my iPad anymore, so what difference does it make? I like quad-core and discrete graphics, but do I really need them when the most intensive thing I do is edit photos once in a blue moon? I think the maxed out dual core and Iris can handle most of the minor Photoshop work I do.

I haven't decided fully, but I really don't think I need the 15" size and I actually want a smaller trackpad. The giganto trackpad in the 15" is one of the main negatives of the laptop for me.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I wasn't sure how to vote as I did return 2 15" base models because of uneven color shifts on the screen. The third one still has a slightly uneven screen but I'm keeping it so I voted did not return. The device is perfect otherwise and I love it. On the 2 occasions that I tested battery life I got 9-10 hours with just web browsing, e-mail, etc with nothing turned off and brightness around 60%. No glitches and I love the touch bar, trackpad and keyboard.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Does anyone have an issue with the machine freezing ? It is happening with me and seems to be when I plug in an external monitor. My last MBP never did this - so I'm thinking I shall now have to return (alongside the battery life which to be blunt is crap !)

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I was waiting for this thread to pop up. This took longer than I had expected. I was sure after the CR debacle we would see this tread pop right up.

I am in the waffle camp. I am not sure I need the 15 vs the 13 unit with out touch bar.

So I am strongly waffly

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I've had my 13" non-touch bar, base model for two weeks and I'm very happy thus far. It runs circles around my 2010 27" quad core with 8 GB RAM.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Does anyone have an issue with the machine freezing ? It is happening with me and seems to be when I plug in an external monitor. My last MBP never did this - so I'm thinking I shall now have to return (alongside the battery life which to be blunt is crap !)

I had plenty of freezes, at least twice a day on the 13" tbMBP. But it was touch bar glitches and mission control freezes not external display.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Apple needs to realize that to many options creates confusion.
They have a huge selection of laptops that doesn't make any sense and people are getting confused on what to buy lol.
It's like there is a laptop for every need and budget and on top of that the older models are still for sale.
Why have a 12 mb and a 12 macbook air? Why a 13 nTB and a 13 TB? At this point why not a 15 nTB and 15 TB? How about bringing back a 17 TB ?
What a disaster. This reminds me of BMW and how they destroyed the M3.
You can have an m1,m2,m3,m4,m5,m6.
Keep it simple and it's cheaper and keeps people more happy in the long run.
Simplicity is the key to happiness with anything.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Got my LG 5k in today. Any doubts I had about the MBP are now gone... The combination really is phenomenal.

The display aesthetics are soon forgotten when it turns on and you can't even see pixels on a 27" screen from right next to it. One cable for everything is great. Makes unplugging the MBP to go a breeze. I still can't believe one cable is currently charging, transmitting 15 million pixels, data, audio, an external drive, etc.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO

Oddly, I had that same problem with the 13" tMBP paired with my Dell 34" curved monitor. It would lock up completely until manually powered off and back on. It happened 3 times over the course of a week.

I exchanged that 13" for a 15" tMBP because I wanted the quad core i7 and extra screen real estate. I've been using the 15" with the same external monitor daily for close to 3 weeks now and it hasn't locked up once. I just chalked it up to the GPU on the 13" needing a firmware update.

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
France
Received on Tuesday my MBP 13 inch TB (coming from 2011 MBP) and I couldn't be happier (well maybe a little if the price was lower)
No problem thus far !

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Just received my base 15-inch. Apart from the scratch (see my other thread) I'm delighted with it.

Reading the MacRumors forums puts ideas into your head. I guess the keyboard is a little loud, but I don't think I would have noticed it had I not read people complaining about it here. (I love typing on the keyboard: it's super fast.)

Same with the battery issue. I don't need it to last ten hours. I recharge my laptop every night. And I have a spare charger and cable on the wall behind my sofa where I spend most of my time with the MacBook. I've been vaguely interested to see how much battery life I'm getting, but I really don't think I'm going to notice.

I could care less about the ports. The fact you can charge on both sides is a real bonus. And makes up for the lack of MagSafe.

I'm not blown away by the screen or speed, but I'm coming from a late 2015 MBP. The speakers are noticeably better, however.

So I'm keeping this bad boy. Scratched as he is. <cries>

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
There there, at least you'll be able to identify it in a crowd... a crowd of MacBook Pros...?
And hey, I'm sure the scratch gives him character :cool:

I don't know why these things bother me so much. My beloved dog has a huge scratch (scar) on the side of his belly, and I don't love him any the less.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
The combo is impressive. I have the 4k, and am happy. I imagine the 5k people will be happier.
I had the 24" ACD, and that was really nice, but the clarity and extra 3" is great. I'm sure the 4k is great if you want a smaller screen.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I think it's always worth looking at when long-term fans say "hang on, this is not okay, this is not what I am a fan of".
It is the exact opposite. The longer someone is a fan, the more you should look the other way. The problem here is predictability. The reason why most stay a fan is the predictability. The moment that is broken their world ends and they're going to be very vocal about that. It makes it more hard for them to see the new direction which new people don't have. It's a common thing that happens with many things.

The other thing I see here is something that is inherent to the USA: people returning items because they can't justify it. Anywhere else in the world people wouldn't have bought in the first place. The difference here is that the USA is living on credit (money you don't have) whereas the rest of the world is living on debit (money you actually have). People who spend their own money are far more careful with it than those spending other peoples money so they actually buy something they can justify.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Going to return my 15" pro today. Loose Touch ID button. Don't think I'm going to buy it again though.
Well, I went to the Apple Store. Button definitely is more loose than the floor models. Here comes a pain in the ass bc one button is ever so slightly loose. It's barely noticeable but it's there. Ugh. I'm not getting the refund though, I'm just going to exchange it.

guy_mac

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
FYI, the defect rate on laptops is between 11 to 25% last I checked, varying by brand. I believe Apple had a middling score, of around 17%. I suspect that rev 1's have a higher rate than average, but have no data to back up this claim.

Reactions: raqball
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.