Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stohr

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Post your data usage bar graphs here. (You may be surprised.)

Ok here's a dumb idea; log into your account at AT&T. Go to the Usage section and display your data usage for the past few months. I for one won't be needing to spend $30 a month for unlimited data, so today's news will actually save me a few bucks.

*EDIT* the graph shows your phone number...bust out your smudge tool.

att.png

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Ok here's a dumb idea; log into your account at AT&T. Go to the Usage section and display your data usage for the past few months. I for one won't be needing to spend $30 a month for unlimited data, so today's news will actually save me a few bucks.

You should take a look at your total data, not just the 3G data reported to AT&T. This will give you a real idea of usage, you never know when wifi may not be available and push you over your cap.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
mines too low. i need to be cranking it up. (I am so:D)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 2.54.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 2.54.41 PM.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 108

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You should take a look at your total data, not just the 3G data reported to AT&T. This will give you a real idea of usage, you never know when wifi may not be available and push you over your cap.

I understand what you're saying, but I created the thread to get people to think about what these new data plans really mean to them, knee jerk rioting aside. We have instant access to our total data usage right on the phone...this is the number many people are mistakenly thinking of when they think about unlimited vs 2gb/month. In fact the only number that really counts in relation to today's news is the 3G usage total, available only on AT&T.com. Even if you see 4gb in the usage stats on the phone, the 3G portion of that data could be just a fraction of the total. Also, the total data usage figure on the phone lacks any sort of time breakdown, e.g. monthly/weekly/yearly, rendering the information all but useless when trying to determine your actual monthly costs and usage, unless you manually reset it every month.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I understand what you're saying, but I created the thread to get people to think about what these new data plans really mean to them, knee jerk rioting aside. We have instant access to our total data usage right on the phone...this is the number many people are mistakenly thinking of when they think about unlimited vs 2gb/month. In fact the only number that really counts in relation to today's news is the 3G usage total, available only on AT&T.com. Even if you see 4gb in the usage stats on the phone, the 3G portion of that data could be just a fraction of the total.

You also assume that you will always have wifi available. There have been times that my Comcast internet has gone down for 5+ hours in one day. Obviously I couldn't use wifi at the time. Ones total data is more important, otherwise your playing Russian-Roullette.

For those that think the small savings are worth the low data caps, well good luck. The prices are far from fair for the service you're getting.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You also assume that you will always have wifi available. There have been times that my Comcast internet has gone down for 5+ hours in one day. Obviously I couldn't use wifi at the time. Ones total data is more important, otherwise your playing Russian-Roullette.

For those that think the small savings are worth the low data caps, well good luck. The prices are far from fair for the service you're getting.

Your missing the point. He's showing that the cap is high enough where it should not matter. So far we've seen tables with very low numbers. One graph shows a month that was very high....1GB. On these new plans, even with his large usage, he is not he even close to the 2GB limit. Even if he did lose wifi for 5+ days (with his extreme usage), it would be way more than needed. All for less money a month. Seems fair enough to me. I just think people are mad about that there is an actual limit. It's a psychological thing I think

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I guess it doesn't show you prior to November? Anyway, I purchased on launch and.... It got stolen in January :(

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 10.31.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 10.31.30 PM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 77

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

*EDIT* the graph shows your phone number...bust out your smudge tool.
I feel like an idiot, but how do you find this nifty little graph?

I'm signed in and I've gone to "Usage" and I can only find a number that is consistent with my current billing period's data usage. (Around 250 MB)

Thanks.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007

But if you really think about it, if wifi outages are frequent enough to cause an abnormal spike in your data usage (to push you significantly over the cap) then it might be worth considering switching service providers or buying a new router. Maybe I'm just spoiled with a stable FiOS connection and a good AirPort router, but for me paying the extra $120 (comparing to the current unlimited value) over the length of my contract as a means of backup insurance for another connection that I'm already paying for just doesn't seem justified.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
my data tells me that i use my iphone a lot at work:D well now that i know my works wifi password this will go down..but i still keeping my unlimited data i have no use for tethering..new iphone 4G here i come:):apple: but for a full price:(

Attachments

• Chart.png
    Chart.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 104

Miamitreo

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
This is B.S. to assume that the 2 GB cap is "enough".

From Dec 09 Till May 2010 I have been from 3.9 GB to 7.1 GB per month with the Average being around 5 to 5.7 GB.

I sure hope there is an alternative to the Iphone soon. This is getting out of control.....

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is B.S. to assume that the 2 GB cap is "enough".

From Dec 09 Till May 2010 I have been from 3.9 GB to 7.1 GB per month with the Average being around 5 to 5.7 GB.

I sure hope there is an alternative to the Iphone soon. This is getting out of control.....

calm. you can keep your unlimited

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This is B.S. to assume that the 2 GB cap is "enough"

It's B.S. to assume 2GB cap is not enough for anyone just because it's not enough for you. For most people who posted their usage in this thread so far the new AT&T data plans will save them money. And you can still keep your unlimited.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
When it says "300" is it 300mb? So people's would have to say 2,000 for it to be 2gb?

Miamitreo

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
calm. you can keep your unlimited

I know I can. However I would love to have the ability to tether at a reasonable cost w/out jail-breaking. This is obviously out of the question so I'll be jail-breaking my phone now. ATT really needs some competition to help them lower and make more reasonable, their data packages.....

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
It's B.S. to assume 2GB cap is not enough for anyone just because it's not enough for you. For most people who posted their usage in this thread so far the new AT&T data plans will save them money. And you can still keep your unlimited.

It's B.S. that they don't even OFFER an unlimited more expensive plan... Even if they raised it to $35... I think some people would still prefer that. It's great that a lot of people can save money... but 2% of 80 million is still over a Million and a half unsatisfied customers... at LEAST... who knows how much they under-exaggerated that number (2%).

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It's B.S. that they don't even OFFER an unlimited more expensive plan... Even if they raised it to $35... I think some people would still prefer that. It's great that a lot of people can save money... but 2% of 80 million is still over a Million and a half unsatisfied customers... at LEAST... who knows how much they under-exaggerated that number (2%).

YOU CAN STILL KEEP THE UNLIMITED PLAN!!! Be happy you even have that option, most carriers around the world don't offer that. The maximum you can get here is 1GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.