Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roker

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
New Zealand
I've always wondered in setups like this what the point of the MB/P stand is? From what I can see, it serves absolutely no purpose there whatsoever.

1 it keeps a bit of air circulation going while the laptop is closed, keeping it cooler, 2 it gives you more desk space & room to put things underneath the laptop (such as external hdd's in my case) and 3 it looks way cooler!! :D:D

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
1 it keeps a bit of air circulation going while the laptop is closed, keeping it cooler, 2 it gives you more desk space & room to put things underneath the laptop (such as external hdd's in my case) and 3 it looks way cooler!! :D:D

Also, if you're using it without an external monitor, it raises the computer to a more comfortable level. It's more ergonomic that way.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Also, if you're using it without an external monitor, it raises the computer to a more comfortable level. It's more ergonomic that way.
Yes, having the screen at eye-level makes sense, however using a stand when;

a.) the machine is closed
b.) you don't actually use any of the extra space beneath
c.) the cooling is designed to cope with the machine being on a flat surface & not suspended in the air

it's a bit pointless.

Corran Horn

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006

c.) the cooling is designed to cope with the machine being on a flat surface & not suspended in the air

it's a bit pointless.

Having more space under the computer allows for more air movement. Sitting flat only allows a fraction of the air to flow under and cool the computer.

When I'm playing C&C3 via bootcamp I find that if I have my computer on my stand it runs cooler. If it sits on the table it will sometimes freeze because the GPU gets to hot.

Aug 6, 2007

it's a bit pointless.

It looks nice. haha.

I, however, use the space underneath my Elevator, and I use my macbook while it's atop the stand.

also; would I be right in saying that you probably use your MBP open aswell? 'cause if that's the case, then removing the stand from the desk just because the MBP is closed for a period of time proves pointless.

v-ault

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006

it's a bit pointless.

Why do you care? It's his desk and not yours. He can do whatever he pleases with HIS stuff. His positioning of everything on his desk does not have potential to do anything damaging, so why care? If that's how he likes it, let him be.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Why do you care? It's his desk and not yours. He can do whatever he pleases with HIS stuff. His positioning of everything on his desk does not have potential to do anything damaging, so why care? If that's how he likes it, let him be.

He's just offering his opinion. We're all entitled to it.

Personally, I put my laptop on top of a mini-thesaurus. Same function and laptop looks like it's floating.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I have mine on an iCurve and while most of the time it's in 'clamshell' mode with the lid closed, it's really useful when I need the extra screen real estate and I open it up.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Here's my current setup with the new keyboard :)

Left to right:
Canon MP830 All-in-One Inkjet
FX-60/2 gb XMS/7900 GT/1 TB (on floor)
LG Chocolate (iPhone soon ;))
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Nano 4gb (black)
Westinghouse 37'' LVM-37W3 1080p LCD (1920x1080 resolution)
Aluminum Wireless Keyboard
Mighty Mouse
15'' Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz/2gb/200gb in clamshell mode
Griffin Elevator
Bose Triport Headphones

all resting on the Jerker desk from Ikea, taken with my Nikon D50.

Attachments

• DSC_4697_800x530.shkl.JPG
    DSC_4697_800x530.shkl.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 584

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Has Westinghouse fixed their banding problems with the 1080p displays?

I am assuming they have since you are using it as a PC monitor, that would be the true test.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Yup, my version has 0 banding issues. It was actually one of the highest rated monitors (beating out Dell and Apple) in a some online reviews. I love it :D

I would prefer a higher resolution if I was gonna use a 37" as a desktop PC monitor, but to each their own.

What type of panel does it it have in it?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I would prefer a higher resolution if I was gonna use a 37" as a desktop PC monitor, but to each their own.

What type of panel does it it have in it?
Problem with that is that it'd be too small! When you have that big of a monitor, you need a smaller res. I've yet to meet an unhappy LVM-37W3 owner, and I've talked with around 8-9 of them. It simply does everything very well for the price/performance ;)

Not sure of the panel, but I know it's a newer one than the problematic ones they had with the 1st and 2nd revisions. That's why it's continually rated so high among users on major reviewer sites (Newegg, cnet, etc.).

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
hows the new keyboard? mine finally shipped yesterday, supposed to be here in a few days. im so mad it took so long.
I like it a lot, it does take some time to get used to though. I'm coming from a wired aluminum version, where the keys were a tad more spread out around the command button.

It's so small that it's hard to get over for the first 24-48 hours. Even seeing the pictures online didn't prepare me for how small and light it is.

All that aside, I really do like it :D

powz

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
When I'm playing C&C3 via bootcamp I find that if I have my computer on my stand it runs cooler. If it sits on the table it will sometimes freeze because the GPU gets to hot.

I'm actually thinking of getting this stand mainly for this reason. How much of a temperature reduction do you see (assuming you measure it)? I'm trying to decide between this or just a notebook cooling pad (though the cooling pad doesn't give the advantage of the extra height).

Also, I noticed a lot of pictures with the Logitech Z-4 speakers. They look nice but how's the sound? I posted about these in the Peripherals forum but didn't get too many responses, so I hope you guys don't mind me posting here. Great pics, btw!

Thanks all!

Corran Horn

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I'm actually thinking of getting this stand mainly for this reason. How much of a temperature reduction do you see (assuming you measure it)? I'm trying to decide between this or just a notebook cooling pad (though the cooling pad doesn't give the advantage of the extra height).

Well I don't have a way of measuring comp temps while playing... Scrin attacks and all :) but I have never had any issues of freezing gameplay or excessive heat.

The stand allows more air to move around the casing, which is why I like to have a fan nearby to move the air. A cooling pad forces air. A friend of mine has one on his MBP, I'll ask him if he sees any performance increases.

Side note: sorry all for not having any pictures :rolleyes: this is a picture thread... :D

kster

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Here's my current setup with the new keyboard :)

Left to right:
Canon MP830 All-in-One Inkjet
FX-60/2 gb XMS/7900 GT/1 TB (on floor)
LG Chocolate (iPhone soon ;))
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Nano 4gb (black)
Westinghouse 37'' LVM-37W3 1080p LCD (1920x1080 resolution)
Aluminum Wireless Keyboard
Mighty Mouse
15'' Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz/2gb/200gb in clamshell mode
Griffin Elevator
Bose Triport Headphones

all resting on the Jerker desk from Ikea, taken with my Nikon D50.

what are you using to hold up your bose triports there on ur jerker? and where did you get it?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
beautiful looking setup there "fan of boondock saints".

where did you get those nifty little lights for your jerker? i'd love to add them to my jerker setup.
Thanks! Bought them at Ikea as well, something like $7.99 for the pair. Then just screwed them into the top shelf from underneath.

Can't say I thought of it myself; it was how they had one of the floor demo's set up. But I like it!

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
Thanks! Bought them at Ikea as well, something like $7.99 for the pair. Then just screwed them into the top shelf from underneath.

Can't say I thought of it myself; it was how they had one of the floor demo's set up. But I like it!

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll look them up on Ikea's site. Hopefully shipping for them won't be too bad.

powz

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
The stand allows more air to move around the casing, which is why I like to have a fan nearby to move the air. A cooling pad forces air. A friend of mine has one on his MBP, I'll ask him if he sees any performance increases.

Cool, thanks!

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
Veritas,

Do you remember the name of those lights? I'm having the hardest time finding them on the Ikea site, especially since the discontinued the beloved Jerker line.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.