Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
If this is what the G5 PB will need, i wouldn't hold our breaths for it coming out anytime soon. These new cooling technologies iare going to take some time before they are implemented into personal computers. I also doubt that we will see such a system in a laptop before we see it in a desktop.

valmiki

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Originally posted by revenuee
i think the first line of that article supports my point

"Engineers at Sun Power Inc. are engaged in an ambitious micromachine research effort that aims to shrink cooling technology to the chip level."

i think the key word is "aims", suggesting that it doesn't exist yet, atleast not in working, marketable way.

reading on the article supports this interpretation.

right. the article appears to be from 97, but from the materials available on their website, they don't have chip-size coolers ready

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Well, here's another case where folks might want to actually READ the article in question. It mentions that IBM has had watercooling for Thinkpads since "the late 90's". It also mentions a hitachi system with watercooling.

Past that, it is rife with sloppy detail. It refers to the "powerpc G5 processor" twice. We all know there is no G5 processor...apple makes sure to say that G5 refers to the entire system, like Centrino. It also mentions the "intense heat" of the proc. Sorry, the data doesn't support "intense heat" coming from the proc. If they had mentioned the ASIC I'd cut them some slack.

"In January, a researcher at Sandia National Laboratories announced that he had created technology to disperse the heat generated within laptop computers more efficiently than the current cooling systems. The new process uses heat from the CPU to convert methanol into a vapor with the aid of a heat pipe "wick" created out of finely etched lines. The vapor then releases the heat it is carrying in a specified area, where it turns back to liquid and returns to collect more heat.

At the time, the technology was being licensed to an upstart company, but no
further information was made available."

Uhh...well, heat pipes are everywhere now. Zalman even has one for GPUs. Maybe the article writer meant that this specific methanol carrying heatpipe was obscure. I've seen pics of the inside of the tibook, and that machine has several heatpipes running all over the place.

Why not try thermo-electric cooling? http://www.thermaltake.com/products/subzero/subzero4g.htm Now there's a powerburner for you.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Code101
Only 800MHz to the RAM! the speed between the processor and memory controller could be 5GHz for all I care. The fact is that form the memory controller to the RAM, it's only 800MHz. No different than Intel.

Apple tries to make the 970 sound like it's the first of everything commercially. Just like the first 64bit desktop line. The AMD Opteron was out before the 970. It's a 64 bit processor running on only the 32bit side of the core because there isn't a release of Windows XP 64 bit addition for AMD yet. Just like Jaguar and Panther is not 64bit. The G5 being able to run 64 bit is limited to the OS and applications that are not yet 64bit. Just like Opteron.

The Opteron is designed for the workstation and server market. If you want to nit pick though, Sun, IBM, HP and even DEC has/had 64-bit workstations back in the 90's. Why do people always bring the Opteron up like that was the first 64-bit chip?

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I won't get one!

Originally posted by Code101
Same thing! The Opteron is a Personal computer CPU as well. People had working Opteron based PC's on their desk before the G5 came out. Many months before!

People have had 64-bit systems on their desks from IBM, Sun, HP, DEC, etc. for YEARS.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by revenuee
4. Firewire is apple, I Link is sony - to everybody else it is IEEE 1394

Actually, Apple's letting everyone call it FireWire.

Originally posted by panphage
Past that, it is rife with sloppy detail. It refers to the "powerpc G5 processor" twice. We all know there is no G5 processor...apple makes sure to say that G5 refers to the entire system, like Centrino.

http://www.apple.com/g5processor/

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I won't get one!

Originally posted by Lanbrown
People have had 64-bit systems on their desks from IBM, Sun, HP, DEC, etc. for YEARS.

Yes, I have two 64-bit DEC alpha-based systems from about 1997. One is designed to be a desktop system, the other a server. I actually haven't turned them on for over a year.

However, I don't think anyone thought of the Alpha systems or most of the other 64-bit systems as mass market, consumer-oriented personal computers. That, IMHO, is the difference between today's G5 and Athlon systems.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I wonder if an inexpensive Peltier cooler would be out of the question to use as a G5 PowerBook's cooling device.

The only problem with a Peltier cooler is that you've effectively made one side of the cooler cold at the expense of heating the other side. You've moved the heat the thickness of the cooler but you still have to get it somewhere else. I suppose you could use the aluminum case to heatsink the hot side of the cooler, but I don't think you'd be able to keep the laptop on your lap for very long. That and they evidently draw quite a bit of power, which wouldn't be good for the battery life.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.