Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Wait for WWDC to see if Apple will unveil anything on displays. I heard rumors of a lower spec, cheaper option to the XDR. Very unlikely but you never know.

mozzchops

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
uk
Im curious to hear other software developer's take on this. Anyone else got the nano and considering switching?

I got the nano and immediately noticed text has a kind of fuzziness around it. The anti-reflection is fantastic though.
A glass one arrived today and while its sharper, the reflection where I am is just too much.

I work about 50% in text-based apps so I have to decide which one to keep...

I did take pictures of both screens at identical distances to see if it picked up anything. It actually looked sharper on the nano than the normal!

What did you decide?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I got the nano and immediately noticed text has a kind of fuzziness around it. The anti-reflection is fantastic though.
A glass one arrived today and while its sharper, the reflection where I am is just too much.

I work about 50% in text-based apps so I have to decide which one to keep...

I did take pictures of both screens at identical distances to see if it picked up anything. It actually looked sharper on the nano than the normal!

What did you decide?

I have two nano versions and one glossy. The glossy isn't for me, and I wouldn't have been able to keep it if it was, at least not after having seen/used the nano. I hate glare and the nano version is awesome at killing all glare.

SuperSidd

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2020
So I finally decided to take the plunge and purchased the Apple Pro Display XDR with Nano Texture Glass. As you can see, my set up is fairly simple and I tried to cut corners wherever I could to save money in the long run (relatively speaking).

Overall, my experiences are mixed and I felt it would be important to outline them for everyone here.
Firstly, I think the Nano version of the Display is the superior option compared to the standard display for those like me who work with the lamp on or near a window. I admit there is a small tradeoff with contrast in the Nano Etched display but the added value of anti-glare is well worth the extremely tiny difference - remember, you are talking about a great monitor no matter what option you chose.

That said, is it worth the $1000 premium? I am not so sure about that. The reason for I say this isn't only because of the cost-benefit calculus of the antiglare from the Nano Glass but because of the headache which is associated with the upscale display. If you buy the nano display, you need to get yourself ready for the possibility of major problems with mantainence and care. The fact that you can only clean the nano display with an "Apple Approved Cleaning Cloth" should highlight the extreme fragility of the display.

Given the overengineering of the Nano-Glass, I am convinced Apple hasn't entirely figured out how to perfect the manufacturing process of it yet. Like a Reddit user's post, my Nano Display came with inconsistencies with the internal etching of the display out of the box - I noticed it as soon as I unboxed the display (attached photo was taken 20 minutes after the display was set up). Fortunately, I still have AppleCare warranty so I will be heading to an Apple Store very soon to get this addressed. That being said, this is simply inexcusable for a display of this cost in my opinion. So moral of the story, BUY APPLECARE PLUS, and be ready for heavy maintenance!

Verdict... If you want the best OVERALL version of the XDR, buy the Nano Display and be hopeful your isn't defective. If you want the least headache with your display and don't mind working in a dark room to get the best output, go for the standard version. Finally, the Pro Display XDR is a great display no matter what (and this is coming from a guy who bought a defective unit), if you have the ability and need to purchase one... you should.

Overall, here is my set up
  1. Pro Display XDR with Nano and AppleCare Plus
  2. Vesa Adaptor
  3. Cheap Stand from Amazon - Honestly, even this $25 Amazon Stand is good enough for Pro Display. I have no regrets skipping the $1000 Pro Stand, and this was the main reason I justified the expense of the nano over standard. Seriously, either buy a nice Humanscale Monitor Arm or some cheap stand... you don't need the Pro Stand.
  4. Logitech 4k for Pro Display XDR - Works like a charm; best Webcam for this setup.
  5. MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2.3 GHz 8 Core - Not fully specced out, just the upgraded base model. I have heard a lot of people ask if the Macbook can handle the Pro Display XDR... It can. My computer does not overheat and the fans only spin when using high-intensity Apps.

IMG_6442.jpg IMG_1927.jpg

Last edited:

Bavich

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Hi everybody!
After almost a year since this topic started what are your thoughts? Or regrets? I have a Nano texture display waiting for me at the store but I’m not a 100% sure going Nano.
Please help !
Thank you all in advance !

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I got my XDR standard in a dual display set up and love it. No complaints on my end :)

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you! What do you do? Text, video…?
Mainly text; but also medical imaging. I honestly have no true need for an XDR display - just wanted something that was seamless and pairs with the MP.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Happy with my glossy one 90% of the time, as long as there’s no light source on in my back.

Bavich

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
I’ve just finished to setup the nano. I absolutely love it! Thanks to this forum I’m happy with my purchase. Thank you all

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I got the glossy about a week ago for my M1 mini. Definitely a super monitor although I have no professional need for it. The resolution even with magnifying glasses is unbelievable, but the brightness range is insane. When it first came up in my dark mancave, usually lit by two 40 watt LED bulbs in the ceiling, I was scrambling to find the brightness control. It was almost like staring into the white beam of a large LED flashlight. After trying the presets, I finally just chose Apple Display with the 500 nit limit, but still had to run the slider down to what is about 160 nits and at that, it still has more intensity than the 4k LG monitor on my Debian box.

It should be my only monitor purchase that is needed for years, although for 6 grand and tax (I bought the stand) I would expect it to be.

Reactions: StumpJumper

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I'm just going to order both when I'm ready and set them both up...just to take the one I don't want back. Easy.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
I bought the Standard and ended up returning it. Though it seemed to have much less glare the Thunderbolt Display it was replacing on the face of it, I found it much harder to look through it, if that makes sense. Something about the way it absorbed light gave it a washed out look and made it hard to focus my eyes on. I'll be trying the Nano-texture one next.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Anyone find any good deals on the XDR? Looking to get an additional one for the set up.

Reactions: ivion

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
My Nano XDR turned up today and my first impressions are mixed. It's noticeably less sharp and it does look dirty when viewing lighter content. It's also quite a bit dimmer. It's lost the wow factor. With the standard one I was initially blown away by the brightness and sharpness, but then the glare started to annoy me. It's certainly a trade off.

mohdabdelsabour

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2021
Yes, showing HDR content on non-HDR devices/platforms is a mess and it looks awful,
Nano all the way. Once you go matte you can never go back to glossy.

Last edited:

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
This is an old thread but here's some info.
Check out the Jonathan Morris Pro Display XDR review, he shines a hand light across both displays and the one with nano texture scatters it incredibly well. The difference is quite remarkable.

The specific video and specific time (1m24s) are linked here The Apple Pro Display XDR...in HDR!. I didn't find anything useful to me in the review except the flashlight shot, which is useful.

I took a close look at an Apple Pro Display XDR nano-texture today. The lack of reflections in a very glossy and bright store was impressive. On the other hand, the nano texture badly blurs low-contrast small text like what one finds in DaVinci Resolve 18 or DxO PhotoLab 6/7. Enough to make it harder to work with the apps. This is in comparison to a 5K2K Philips I have on my desk now. I don't get 218 PPI but the UI in those apps is far more legible.

I was also surprised that the Pro Display XDR was not as bright as I expected at 500 nits which should have burned my eyes out of my sockets but didn't seem any brighter than the 280 nits measured on my Philips 40B1U6903.

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I took a close look at an Apple Pro Display XDR nano-texture today. The lack of reflections in a very glossy and bright store was impressive. On the other hand, the nano texture badly blurs low-contrast small text like what one finds in DaVinci Resolve 18 or DxO PhotoLab 6/7. Enough to make it harder to work with the apps. This is in comparison to a 5K2K Philips I have on my desk now. I don't get 218 PPI but the UI in those apps is far more legible.
That's exactly what I found when I A/B'd the glossy and nano-textured ASD's at my local Apple store. The AR on the nano-textured display is better at killing reflections than anything I've seen, but the texture is so strong that it noticeably blurs text--and also creates a noticeable "sparkly snowfield" effect on white backgrounds.

To my mind, that makes the nano highly specialized for photo and video editing, where any reflections can compromise your work, and yet where the blurring effect of the nano won't be noticed. Another plus for the nano is that, unlike conventional matte coatings, it doesn't dull the picture.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
To my mind, that makes the nano highly specialized for photo and video editing, where any reflections can compromise your work, and yet where the blurring effect of the nano won't be noticed. Another plus for the nano is that, unlike conventional matte coatings, it doesn't dull the picture.
The glare of standard screens are a deal breaker for me. I like to work on a bright environment with windows so natural light comes in and help with my mood and productivity. I can't stand working on a dungeon of darkness. LMAO
The nano solves that glare issue big time. I guess it's a trade off in the end. I am just glad Apple offers options. For the XDR, they need to drop that $1k to $500 like the ASD. They should drop the price of the XDR overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.