Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Didn't work with my Hackintosh as I remember. The max resolution was limited to 5K or 6K through 5K framebuffer.
Did your hackintosh have full Thunderbolt support otherwise? Thunderbolt hot swap? Thunderbolt networking? Thunderbolt tab in System Information.app? Dual DisplayPort input from DisplayPort 1.4 capable GPU?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
wow, I can't believe this is true. To pay the insane price of an XDR, I would expect a similar life span of my current ACD 30" that next year will be 20 years old.
I don‘t know how common it is. I do wonder if it might have something to do with using the display as the power supply for a MacBook Pro (heat maybe?), as the few instances I did read about were people using them that way. (Which it’s supposed to be designed to do, so I don’t fault any of those people doing that if indeed that was a factor.)

I’ve had other things fail from heat over time with power pass-through. Of course I could be totally off, but you’re right. I would expect several years of reliable use for this kind of money.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Did your hackintosh have full Thunderbolt support otherwise? Thunderbolt hot swap? Thunderbolt networking? Thunderbolt tab in System Information.app? Dual DisplayPort input from DisplayPort 1.4 capable GPU?
I think no, TB doesn't work properly in my case. I have an onboard TB4 controller and it's unflashed, so Sys info says "No drivers were loaded".

I also have a Titan Ridge AIC card. Being unflashed it works with UltraFine 5K pretty well, supporting two DP 1.2 MST signals and all UltraFine devices. But when it's flashed, it appears in Sys info, but forget about 5K and often no devices, so I flashed it back to original firmware.

When I got XDR, I couldn't get 6K properly on it. Maybe once it worked after booting to Windows first.

Eventually I switched to USB-C solution, which works well in both Mac and Windows.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
wow, I can't believe this is true. To pay the insane price of an XDR, I would expect a similar life span of my current ACD 30" that next year will be 20 years old.
I also have ACD 30". Bought it in 2008. It's not used anymore, but still works with non-original power supply (original one stopped working about 2 years ago). CCFL lamps are worn out at an extent, but brightness is still sufficient.

Now I have an XDR. I'm not quite sure that it will last even 10 years. I think the main problem will be it's backlight system, all these fancy optical mirrors (as I understand they are implemented to reduce the negative effect of a small number of backlight zones) don't look reliable. Or one of these 576 LEDs will fail or change it's color eventually, so you'll be pissed off

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I also have ACD 30". Bought it in 2008. It's not used anymore, but still works with non-original power supply (original one stopped working about 2 years ago). CCFL lamps are worn out at an extent, but brightness is still sufficient.

Now I have an XDR. I'm not quite sure that it will last even 10 years. I think the main problem will be it's backlight system, all these fancy optical mirrors (as I understand they are implemented to reduce the negative effect of a small number of backlight zones) don't look reliable. Or one of these 576 LEDs will fail or change it's color eventually, so you'll be pissed off
Well, paying $7k (stand/nano) you should expect at least a 10 year lifespan. Maybe I am too spoiled with my ACD but I feel at this point, I rather not invest that amount of money on a display if the lifespan is not that long and go a cheaper route and update every 5 years or so.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Have any users of an M1 Mac and a Pro Display XDR experienced screen dimming issues when viewing HDR content in hiDPI resolution, following the 14.1.1 MacOS update?

For instance, I have an M1 Max MacBook Pro connected to a Pro Display XDR, set to hiDPI (3840x2160) resolution using SwitchResX. Post-update, the screen dims noticeably whenever I watch HDR videos on YouTube or switch to the develop module in Lightroom Classic. This dimming happens without any changes to the screen brightness settings. Disabling hiDPI resolves this issue, but I prefer not to use the native resolution options.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Have any users of an M1 Mac and a Pro Display XDR experienced screen dimming issues when viewing HDR content in hiDPI resolution, following the 14.1.1 MacOS update?

For instance, I have an M1 Max MacBook Pro connected to a Pro Display XDR, set to hiDPI (3840x2160) resolution using SwitchResX. Post-update, the screen dims noticeably whenever I watch HDR videos on YouTube or switch to the develop module in Lightroom Classic. This dimming happens without any changes to the screen brightness settings. Disabling hiDPI resolves this issue, but I prefer not to use the native resolution options.
Well, I suppose it's better to address this question to SwitchResX support.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Yes, I've already done that. Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered the issue, too.
Yeah, I get that, but you use a very specific resolution without paying attention to picture quality and accuracy, so that's a rare use case.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Yeah, I get that, but you use a very specific resolution without paying attention to picture quality and accuracy, so that's a rare use case.
Actually, from reading through this and many other XDR threads, there are plenty of people using this resolution. Without paying attention to quality and accuracy? 🙄

Bud, you might not be aware of this, so let me spell it out: your overall tone in your responses is coming off as rude and akin to typical BS-posters that don’t have any useful input, but feel the need to say something nonetheless. While you may not be trying to be like that, that’s how you appear.

I’m sorry I’ve wasted my time making inquiries here.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Bud, you might not be aware of this, so let me spell it out: your overall tone in your responses is coming off as rude and akin to typical BS-posters that don’t have any useful input, but feel the need to say something nonetheless. While you may not be trying to be like that, that’s how you appear.
I was just trying to point you in the right direction in solving a problem that only arises when using specific (presumably kinda "hacky", so it can behave unstable) software and thus save your time. That's it. It's your right not to believe in rarity of your use case or that I'm rude, though.

Reactions: Backd00r

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Thought I would introduce myself as an almost new owner of a Pro XDR display. I put in the order for one earlier this week! I'm super excited and have been wanting one of these since the introduction. I used to own the 23" and 30" Cinema Display of the 2000's and sold them as Apple introduced the LED 24-27" about 10 years ago. Now I've reached the point that I want to replace my LG 5k for something color accurate and high quality for my photography. Apple quoted me nov 30-Dec 7th for arrival. Is a 2 week lead time typical for new displays?

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Thought I would introduce myself as an almost new owner of a Pro XDR display. I put in the order for one earlier this week! I'm super excited and have been wanting one of these since the introduction. I used to own the 23" and 30" Cinema Display of the 2000's and sold them as Apple introduced the LED 24-27" about 10 years ago. Now I've reached the point that I want to replace my LG 5k for something color accurate and high quality for my photography. Apple quoted me nov 30-Dec 7th for arrival. Is a 2 week lead time typical for new displays?
I waited for 4 or more weeks, so as for me 2 weeks is totally fine. I suppose this is because Apple doesn't have XDRs in stock and they literally produce them by a request.

Reactions: BigJohno

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I waited for 4 or more weeks, so as for me 2 weeks is totally fine. I suppose this is because Apple doesn't have XDRs in stock and they literally produce them by a request.
Good to know. I'm not in any rush just excited to start using the display. I also purchased the VESA mount adaptor but it doesn't come with screws. Limited research online says M4x10mm will work...

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Good to know. I'm not in any rush just excited to start using the display. I also purchased the VESA mount adaptor but it doesn't come with screws. Limited research online says M4x10mm will work...
The VESA arm or desk mount will come with the bolts. (Not the Apple adapter)

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The VESA arm or desk mount will come with the bolts. (Not the Apple adapter)
Right, which I already have mounted for my LG 5k. The screws are too long that come with the arm it's self. So it seems I need to get shorter screws since the Apple Vesa mount adaptor is a different depth.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
10 mm were definitely too long. I replaced them with 7 or 8 mm as I remember. So yes, I had the same problem with VESA - screws must be short.

Reactions: BigJohno

chef_pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
FYI, my Pro Art 670E now works with the Pro XDR Display over TB4 -- without the need for a USB-C to DP+USB cable at 6k HDR with my Nvidia RTX4090 plugging into the DP-IN. I think Nvidia must have pushed an update in the last 6 months that fixed this behavior as ASUS pinpointed this worked previously with AMD cards. I also updated the BIOS to the latest, and I'm on the latest Win11 update -- so YMMV.

Note that the display also works with daisy chaining via the TS4 Dock, which was honestly pretty surprising.The only caveat is the USB is very flaky, and frequently I get an error the the USB hub on the back of the display isn't recognized. The display recognized by Apple's drivers, but that's fine since I can change the brightness with the Windows HDR settings, but I guess I can't change picture profiles either. Note that I also had to effectively move all my peripherals to the CalDigit TS4, which is fine given the plethora of inputs. But I was having weird resolution issues on my Mac (frequently only 4k) when forcing the pro XDR to use USB-C, so this is a huge quality of life improvement.

Reactions: etc

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Thought I’d also mention I’ve been using my XDR on the OWC Thunderbolt Go, (a TB4 dock) with no problems.

This is running an MBA M2 and a MBP M3 directly into the dock then out into the XDR. It’s a nice setup.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
To follow up on that: I believe neither OWC or Apple say this mode is supported. I wonder if Apple will start supporting this.

If the company did update the XDR, it should have more TB ports on the back. That or officially support connectivity via TB4 docks.

chef_pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
I spoke a bit too soon. The CalDigit TS4 worked great in macOS, but it was the cause of spontaneous Ethernet dropouts and computer freezes. I'm trying to get a refund on that (low odds), and instead have my Pro XDR connected directly to my PC / Mac. When I do that, the thunderbolt ports on the back work great and as USB 3 ports if no TB device is connected. I simply have a USB3 Hub connected to it for all my peripherals, including Ethernet, and I have no issues to report. Downside is I don't have easily accessible ports on my desk, but I ran some extension cables up.

Reactions: chfilm

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'm on the fence about getting a second XDR. I want one for my remote office but can get by with the Dell U2723QE for now.

I'm going to pre-order the Vision Pro, so its a bit of a hit to do both at the same time. I'm thinking of getting the pro, sticking with the Dell for now and seeing if we see any motion on XDR front before or at WWDC.

I've seen some discussions suggesting the first VP version is targeted at people who own XDRs or at least their purchasing profile. Anyone else planning to pre-order?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I've seen some discussions suggesting the first VP version is targeted at people who own XDRs or at least their purchasing profile. Anyone else planning to pre-order?
If I'm being honest - I'm tempted. It appears pretty innovative.

My issue is I don't know what I'd do with it. I don't game and I don't like video calling. Seems to me that I'd use it as a big monitor, but I already have a great set of three monitors that I love. Gonna need to pass on this launch and see how people put it to use. Maybe then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.