Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I just recently got a Pro Display XDR and noticed there is a buzzing noise coming from the back of the Display. It is only audible when I'm behind the display and really close to it, so it doesn't affect regular use. Was just wondering if this is normal, as I wouldn't expect that from a display with such a price tag.
Mine has the same noise, but I think it's just a fan, which is normal.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I just recently got a Pro Display XDR and noticed there is a buzzing noise coming from the back of the Display. It is only audible when I'm behind the display and really close to it, so it doesn't affect regular use. Was just wondering if this is normal, as I wouldn't expect that from a display with such a price tag.
It should not be making any buzzing noise.

Oh. just saw this. Huh, I've never noticed.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
It should not be making any buzzing noise.

Oh. just saw this. Huh, I've never noticed.

You will get some noise from a fan, no matter how hard you try. The fact that it's inaudible except when you go hunting for it is actually pretty impressive, considering the XDR has a pair of them.

My other thought was coil whine since the power supply is integrated into the display.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
My other thought was coil whine since the power supply is integrated into the display.
Yep, that could be either fan or power supply coil. I think it's totally fine until you start hearing this not only when you put your ear to the back of the display, but when you don't do anything strange with the display))

Reactions: Krevnik

Eneco

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2018
Thanks for all your clarification. As I said, I don't hear it when sitting in front of it. I only noticed it when adjusting the position of the display on my monitor arm and therefore was close to the back of it.

Good to know it is somewhat normal and nothing to be concerned about.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I am considering buying an Apple Pro Display XDR, but I'm considering if it's wise to wait to WWDC in June first, to see if there's any chance of a new product launch.

How do you rate the likelihood of a successor to the Pro Display XDR launching at WWDC 2024?

I currently have a 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, so I am not even confident that it will be able to run a 120 Hz display or 8K for that matter (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP865?locale=en_US):

Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI

I probably won't be able to afford a purchase of a new Mac Studio in addition to a Pro Display XDR this year, if we indeed see new products, but I could probably invest in a display and upgrade to a new Mac Studio the next year. Perhaps 2025 is a more likely launch for new products. It is however starting to feel a bit awkward to pay premium price for a relatively old product (timewise) as the Pro Display XDR.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I am considering buying an Apple Pro Display XDR, but I'm considering if it's wise to wait to WWDC in June first, to see if there's any chance of a new product launch.

How do you rate the likelihood of a successor to the Pro Display XDR launching at WWDC 2024?

I currently have a 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, so I am not even confident that it will be able to run a 120 Hz display or 8K for that matter (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP865?locale=en_US):

I probably won't be able to afford a purchase of a new Mac Studio in addition to a Pro Display XDR this year, if we indeed see new products, but I could probably invest in a display and upgrade to a new Mac Studio the next year. Perhaps 2025 is a more likely launch for new products. It is however starting to feel a bit awkward to pay premium price for a relatively old product (timewise) as the Pro Display XDR.
I think a new XDR is going to require Thunderbolt 5, unless the specs don't change. Presuming this won't appear until the M4, I suspect we have some time. Thunderbolt 5 has 3 times the display bandwidth, so would help with ProMotion 6k or whatever else the next XDR might have.

Certainly doesn't hurt to wait for WWDC if you're in no hurry.

sartorius

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017

Are you me? :)

Just finished saving for the XDR, but waiting to see if any updates drop in WWDC, and planning an upgrade to a M4 Studio next year!

Matt2012

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Noob question... on the Apple website, it says the XDR can run at 6016x3384 resolution.
Are you guys actually using this resolution or do you have to scale it back a bit so everything isn't tiny and unreadable?
Only asking as I'm used to using ultrawide monitors (currently using a 57" Samsung at 7680x2160 on PC) and while I love the crispness of the XDR and high ppi count, I'm worried that a 32" will be to small for me as I often have multiple programs/windows etc open at once.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Noob question... on the Apple website, it says the XDR can run at 6016x3384 resolution.
Are you guys actually using this resolution or do you have to scale it back a bit so everything isn't tiny and unreadable?
Only asking as I'm used to using ultrawide monitors (currently using a 57" Samsung at 7680x2160 on PC) and while I love the crispness of the XDR and high ppi count, I'm worried that a 32" will be to small for me as I often have multiple programs/windows etc open at once.
6016x3384 is just physical resolution, but the OS uses 200% UI scaling. You have to switch UI scaling to 200% on XDR.

With 200% you'll get even larger UI elements and fonts than on your 57" Samsung with 100% scaling.

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
You will get some noise from a fan, no matter how hard you try. The fact that it's inaudible except when you go hunting for it is actually pretty impressive, considering the XDR has a pair of them.

Are fans always on even when the connected Mac is sleeping?

cohesion

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012

My 4-year-old pro display xdr has developed the same noise, but I am pretty sure it's coming from fans.
In my case, the noise is noticeably audible in a quite environment, even when I sit in front of the monitor.

I suspect that over the years, dirts have attached themselves onto the fans, unbalancing fans rotation and making the noise.

As you guys can see from others' pro display xdr internals after it was disassembled (pro display xdr cannot be disassembled without damaging the screen).

I am not sure whether Apple would offer service to clean pro display xdr's fans. The best they can do is probably selling us another one at a slight discount.

Photo credit:
Character-Yard5900
https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/18e9drj
as-many-ask-more-pictures-inside-the-pro-display-xdr-v0-1n1rwxndg85c1.png

as-many-ask-more-pictures-inside-the-pro-display-xdr-v0-ancz5yndg85c1.png

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Although late to the party my XDR should arrive next week however I've since come to understand I may have trouble using it at full 6k on Windows bootcamp? Can someone please give a definitive yes or no or how to accomplish using the XDR display at full 6K on windows...

Mac Pro 7.1
Vega II

From what I understand the Vega II does not have DSC? Does that mean it can't drive the XDR in windows bootcamp at full 6k resolution 6K 10bit 60Hz and HDR output?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
From what I understand the Vega II does not have DSC? Does that mean it can't drive the XDR in windows bootcamp at full 6k resolution 6K 10bit 60Hz and HDR output?
Correct, Vega II does not have DSC. You need a AMD Navi GPU or Nvidia RTX GPU.

XDR doesn't support 6K60 HDR/10bpc unless DSC is supported or unless you can use a dual tiled HBR3 x4 mode over Thunderbolt.

I think dual tile HBR3 x4 works only in macOS and requires Thunderbolt from Titan Ridge or later and a GPU that supports HBR3.

Maybe you can get 6K with a custom timing or custom EDID.

Does AMD allow selecting 6bpc in Windows? HBR3 x4 could support 6K60 6bpc but I don't think the XDR supports HBR3 except for the dual tile 6K60 mode. Therefore, you may be limited to HBR2 x4 bandwidth. A dual tile 5K60 mode exists for dual HBR2 x4 over Thunderbolt. I don't know if you can create a dual tile 6K52 mode which would allow 10bpc over Thunderbolt. For single tile, HBR2 x4 can do 6K44 6bpc but I don't know how well the XDR supports custom timings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.