Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I'm on the fence about getting a second XDR. I want one for my remote office but can get by with the Dell U2723QE for now.

I'm going to pre-order the Vision Pro, so its a bit of a hit to do both at the same time. I'm thinking of getting the pro, sticking with the Dell for now and seeing if we see any motion on XDR front before or at WWDC.

I've seen some discussions suggesting the first VP version is targeted at people who own XDRs or at least their purchasing profile. Anyone else planning to pre-order?
Not me. I have Menieres, a balance disorder. Things that disturb my real world sight will make me sick. So, no, for the sake of my health, let’s not do that.

Alexivai

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Hello. I bought an Apple XDR pro display for my windows computer on windows 11. By installing drivers from MacPro 7.1 I was able to connect it with full resolution and 12 bits. But I have several problems that I don't know how to fix. 1. I adjust the brightness using the Nvidia panel and I am sure that this is not the best solution. For some reason, BootCamp is in the tray, but when you click on open the BootCamp panel, it does not open. 2. There are no color profiles accordingly. 3. The screen sometimes flickers either just or in red for a millisecond. I will be glad if you help me solve this

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Not me. I have Menieres, a balance disorder. Things that disturb my real world sight will make me sick. So, no, for the sake of my health, let’s not do that.
Ah. A lot of progress has been made for Quest on reducing motion sickness since Oculus DK1.

And the Vision Pro should go even further than this. Particularly given its pass through is supposed to be game changing good.

But I could see folks sensitive to MS still getting pretty uncomfortable. Will be interesting to read reports.

I’m a little surprised there aren’t more folks strongly in the affirmative here. I am absolutely pre-ordering.

I’ve been waiting on this product for years, following reporting in The Information.

I don’t think it’s a replacement for XDR at all. But a later definitely will offer a compelling alternative.

As I mentioned I’m going to hold off on. A second XDR until after I’ve gotten used to the Vision Pro and see if there has been other products (like an XDR v2) held back for after that release.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I’m a little surprised there aren’t more folks strongly in the affirmative here. I am absolutely pre-ordering.

I’ve been waiting on this product for years, following reporting in The Information.

I don’t think it’s a replacement for XDR at all. But a later definitely will offer a compelling alternative.

As I mentioned I’m going to hold off on. A second XDR until after I’ve gotten used to the Vision Pro and see if there has been other products (like an XDR v2) held back for after that release.

What's your initial use case? As an alternative to your current displays? Or is there a particular application that interests you?

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
What's your initial use case? As an alternative to your current displays? Or is there a particular application that interests you?
I’ve been recording Spatial Video with an iPhone 15 Pro since it was available in beta.

I have 194 videos so far, maybe around four hours of footage. I have used it to capture some special family moments already.

The reviews of Spatial Video are unequivocal, so I’m very hopeful about the experience of spatial videos and is they will hold up as time passes and these recent memories fade.

The other area is more speculative. I’m interested in Fitness. I have subscribed to Supernatural using both the Quest 2 and 3 now. Even on the 3 it looks sorta hokey and lacks the polish Apple would apply.

There is no announcement of it, but I’m hoping that Apple releases an extension of Fitness that provides virtual / AR targets similar to that app.

If Apple doesn’t do it, I fully expect something stronger than SN to appear in the Vision Pro App Store.

After that, it’s whatever suits fancy. I will try working in it, but it is hard to believe it’s better than the XDR for all day coding sessions.

That said, my alternative rn is a single Dell 4K at one of my offices. If the Vision Pro is competitive with that, it’s possible I could be writing software in the thing for long periods of time.

That seems hard to believe because I’ve tried screen stuff on the quests and they aren’t nearly good enough. But I’m open to that possibility.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I’ve been recording Spatial Video with an iPhone 15 Pro since it was available in beta.

I have 194 videos so far, maybe around four hours of footage. I have used it to capture some special family moments already.

The reviews of Spatial Video are unequivocal, so I’m very hopeful about the experience of spatial videos and is they will hold up as time passes and these recent memories fade.

The other area is more speculative. I’m interested in Fitness. I have subscribed to Supernatural using both the Quest 2 and 3 now. Even on the 3 it looks sorta hokey and lacks the polish Apple would apply.

There is no announcement of it, but I’m hoping that Apple releases an extension of Fitness that provides virtual / AR targets similar to that app.

If Apple doesn’t do it, I fully expect something stronger than SN to appear in the Vision Pro App Store.

After that, it’s whatever suits fancy. I will try working in it, but it is hard to believe it’s better than the XDR for all day coding sessions.

That said, my alternative rn is a single Dell 4K at one of my offices. If the Vision Pro is competitive with that, it’s possible I could be writing software in the thing for long periods of time.

That seems hard to believe because I’ve tried screen stuff on the quests and they aren’t nearly good enough. But I’m open to that possibility.
Thanks. Curious to learn more as folks get their hands on it. I want to buy it but can't justify the purchase because I don't have a good use case.

Reactions: - rob -

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,

Soon I will need to make a decision between Dell's 32" 6K and the XDR. It's likely to be the XDR, as Dell's price in my country is ridiculously high, almost as high as the XDR. So why not the XDR and forget about the Dell, right?

If I go with the XDR, the next decision to make will be its pro stand or a 3rd party VESA stand. Any reason to go with the expensive pro stand?

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Hi,

Soon I will need to make a decision between Dell's 32" 6K and the XDR. It's likely to be the XDR, as Dell's price in my country is ridiculously high, almost as high as the XDR. So why not the XDR and forget about the Dell, right?

If I go with the XDR, the next decision to make will be its pro stand or a 3rd party VESA stand. Any reason to go with the expensive pro stand?
The XDR looks way better with the Pro Stand, but you have more possibilities with a VESA Stand. My brother uses Alberentz on his Studio Displays and they work great. The reason why I have the Pro Stand, is because I had an opportunity to buy it in an open box for 400 EUR, instead of the usual 1100 EUR.

Reactions: whwang

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Well, I've used the Vision Pro to mirror a nearly fully loaded MacBook Pro M3 (36GB) and I can say with certainty that I won't be substituting to the VP for work any time soon.

I've had five sessions with visionOS now, so I'm starting to get the hang of the UI interaction. I needed to schedule a recurring meeting for work today, which seemed like a fairly normal task.

Its just not as clear as a retina display. I saw in a VP forum thread someone claiming adjusting the resolution up in display settings gave a better result--you just needed to make the window bigger and that was just not the case.

Here is the display settings when you've "Connected" or mirrored a mac to Vision Pro:
vision-pro-mirroring-display-settings.png
I found that neither of the top two options were clear enough for regular use. Unfortunately, the theory about "make the window bigger" just doesn't hold.

This should probably have been obvious because pixels per degree PPD on VP is what 60?

The problem is that it doesn't come close to using a 4k display. The only advantage it has is screen glare is zero, but I use nano texture on XDR anyway.

So I may keep the VP, but it won't be to replace my second office's dell 4k. If anything I'll be going for a second XDR.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
My XDR will turn 3 years old soon. I have AppleCare on it - purchased the 3 year plan, I am trying to find out if it can be extended on an annual basis such as the iPhones, MACs or watches. And if so, how? As it is not a device that logs in into Apple ID does not show on my support.

Reactions: AngusYoung

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
My XDR will turn 3 years old soon. I have AppleCare on it - purchased the 3 year plan, I am trying to find out if it can be extended on an annual basis such as the iPhones, MACs or watches. And if so, how? As it is not a device that logs in into Apple ID does not show on my support.
If I understand correctly, AC (AC+?) can be extended on any Apple product. I'm also curious about this. I think it has to be done within a month of expiration.

I did not put this on my calendar on my XDR and am out of that warranty now. I would absolutely have extended it if I had known about the policy and feel almost tricked because there was no warning / reminder to renew it from Apple.

Please post your findings.

Reactions: AngusYoung

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Any somewhat legit or verified rumors of a XDR successor arriving in 2024?

The most recent information I'm aware of came from Gurman claim from 12/18/2022:

Apple is working on multiple new external monitors as well, including an update to the Pro Display XDR that was launched alongside the Intel Mac Pro in 2019. It is possible, however, that the company’s next high-end display will ship after the Mac Pro, as the computer is further along in development than the monitor.

Those new monitors — like the Studio Display launched with the Mac Studio — will include Apple silicon. That helps the screens rely less on resources from the attached computer.

I'd normally discount this because, well, its super old and also Gurman has been hit and miss. However, taken in the context of the rest of the items from that entry suggests an upgrade to XDR is now due.

While the delays affecting Mac Pro's Apple Silicon release can't be confirmed the article was correct about M2 Ultra being what would ship in the Mac Pro.

The timing is right for a TB5 supported XDR display.

The thing is, none of the existing mac hardware supports Thunderbolt 5. Please correct me if I'm wrong but TB5 is needed on spec to support 6k ProMotion 120hz refresh.

So, a new display would need to be launched alongside new mac hardware. Perhaps have a compatibility mode of 6k @ 60hz?

I thought it would be worth mentioning this article from AI on TB5 docks announced at CES. OWC, which in my experience, has some of the best mac compatibility, apparently had a prototype TB5 device on the floor but:

OWC also declined to press forward on the video capabilities of the dock, beyond describing the bandwidth and potential support that Thunderbolt 5 introduces.

Pricing is unavailable, but OWC says it will formally introduce its finalized Thunderbolt 5 device lineup in the summer via its shop.

IDK, new mac(s) supporting TB5 + XDR bump @ WWDC 2024? One can dream. It might be time to start a new Wishful thinking thread and hone in on the specs for this display.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
The most recent information I'm aware of came from Gurman claim from 12/18/2022:

I'd normally discount this because, well, its super old and also Gurman has been hit and miss. However, taken in the context of the rest of the items from that entry suggests an upgrade to XDR is now due.

While the delays affecting Mac Pro's Apple Silicon release can't be confirmed the article was correct about M2 Ultra being what would ship in the Mac Pro.

The timing is right for a TB5 supported XDR display.

The thing is, none of the existing mac hardware supports Thunderbolt 5. Please correct me if I'm wrong but TB5 is needed on spec to support 6k ProMotion 120hz refresh.

So, a new display would need to be launched alongside new mac hardware. Perhaps have a compatibility mode of 6k @ 60hz?

I thought it would be worth mentioning this article from AI on TB5 docks announced at CES. OWC, which in my experience, has some of the best mac compatibility, apparently had a prototype TB5 device on the floor but:

IDK, new mac(s) supporting TB5 + XDR bump @ WWDC 2024? One can dream. It might be time to start a new Wishful thinking thread and hone in on the specs for this display.
In my shopping for an 8K/6K/4K HDR color grading monitor there seems to be two "camps" of HDR display makers/users...those display manufacturers aligned with the professional video content industry that mandate color-correct 60Hz refresh rates at "tax-write-off pricing", and those manufacturers aligned with the professional gaming content industry where "close-enough color accuracy" and "the more hertz, the merrier" for consumer budgets is their mandate.

In looking at Apple's display product lineup over the past 5-years-or-so it becomes clear that with their desktop computers the "folks in the room who have Tim's ear" when it comes to HDR-abilities are the 60Hz video industry folks. So, up til now, if one wants to "game" on their "editing" machine Apple seems to be content leaving their user base to go and figure out how to rig up some Alienware HDR display (or somesuch) on their own.

The "fly in Pro Display XDR's ointment" is that time has passed and HDR displays have not only caught up to PD XDR color accuracy but are also providing higher refresh rates to attract both video and gaming customers. The arrival of TB5 across all computers will "unlock" this for all and will be the linchpin that EOL's PD XDR. Apple will be forced to hang up it's short-lived crown to a wider market of consumer-friendly and consumer accessible color-accurate/multi-refresh-rate displays.

Enter, 120Hz 32" 6K XDR iMac and 42" 8K XDR iMac along with matching stand-alone XDR displays for their, um, professional video industry, er, "friends".

Well, my morning coffee's worth. :)

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
In my shopping for an 8K/6K/4K HDR color grading monitor there seems to be two "camps" of HDR display makers/users...those display manufacturers aligned with the professional video content industry that mandate color-correct 60Hz refresh rates at "tax-write-off pricing", and those manufacturers aligned with the professional gaming content industry where "close-enough color accuracy" and "the more hertz, the merrier" for consumer budgets is their mandate.

In looking at Apple's display product lineup over the past 5-years-or-so it becomes clear that with their desktop computers the "folks in the room who have Tim's ear" when it comes to HDR-abilities are the 60Hz video industry folks. So, up til now, if one wants to "game" on their "editing" machine Apple seems to be content leaving their user base to go and figure out how to rig up some Alienware HDR display (or somesuch) on their own.

The "fly in Pro Display XDR's ointment" is that time has passed and HDR displays have not only caught up to PD XDR color accuracy but are also providing higher refresh rates to attract both video and gaming customers. The arrival of TB5 across all computers will "unlock" this for all and will be the linchpin that EOL's PD XDR. Apple will be forced to hang up it's short-lived crown to a wider market of consumer-friendly and consumer accessible color-accurate/multi-refresh-rate displays.

Enter, 120Hz 32" 6K XDR iMac and 42" 8K XDR iMac along with matching stand-alone XDR displays for their, um, professional video industry, er, "friends".

Well, my morning coffee's worth. :)
Of course as lot of us are on Macs that don't support 5K or higher at anything better than 60Hz anyway. So it's a combination of a lack of displays and a lack of capability. I'd love a 5K 120Hz display but I'm not going to upgrade my M1M Studio even if such I display came to be. For now I'll run my ASDs and Dell 6K at 60Hz and accept it.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

At least by the math, if you use DSC at 3:1 compression, then you can fit in TB3/4. Without DSC, even DP2.0 seems just shy of the bandwidth needed for 6K at 120Hz if you run at 10-bit color.

But you still need a DisplayPort controller that’s capable of handling the extra data. And I’m not sure where Apple is at on this front. The M2s can handle 8K@60, but even that is considerably less demanding than 6K@120, and somewhat less demanding than 5K@120. So not sure where they top out internally.

Which, because of the bandwidth requirements, I kinda get. It’s also a question of what Apple can bring to the table if bandwidth is your limiting factor at 5K/6K.

But as we’re starting to see some displays that can do higher refresh rates at lower resolutions (i.e. 4K displays with faster 1080p modes), this is an approach I’d be interested in seeing Apple take on, but no idea if they see it as worthwhile or not.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
The theoretical bandwidth required for pro XDR display is 43.97 ~ 44 Gbps(approx). pushing it slightly above the theoretical bandwidth of TB3/4. Can someone explain how apple managed to do this?

Secondly, consider 120hz. The BW required is approx 88 Gbps(6k@120hz/10 Bit). Now TB 5 is up to 80 Gbps. How will apple manage this for the next gen XDR display considering it gets a bump in refresh rate.

Its a miracle they achieved 60 Hz @ 6k/10Bit with TB 3/4.

Lastly, you will need a new series of mac devices with atleast TB 5. Current gen M series wont be able to drive any new Pro XDR displays.

Hence i m afraid a new refresh of the Pro XDR display is still at least 2-3 years away. By then we might even get a QD-OLED considering how mature OLED tech has become over the past few years.

1708960610774.png

Backd00r

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
In Apple's Mac Studio Display Guide, there is written: "Use the Thunderbolt ports to connect one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60 Hz or up to 6K resolution at 120 Hz." Link:

The Mac Studio has Thunderbolt 4 ports.

Edit: I would be happy if anyone curious could try for me using (free) Geforce Now App on the Pro Display XDR with the APP set to 4k 60hz vsync>on with a free game to test mouse input lag. I can't play Geforce Now Games on my Pro Display XDR as I have too much mouse lag... Switching resolutions of the screen and the app and turning vsync off doesn't help much. No problem at all on MBP 14 M2 Pro's native display... I'm in contact with nvidia already, and can keep you guys up to date.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Krevnik and etc

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
The theoretical bandwidth required for pro XDR display is 43.97 ~ 44 Gbps(approx). pushing it slightly above the theoretical bandwidth of TB3/4. Can someone explain how apple managed to do this?

Secondly, consider 120hz. The BW required is approx 88 Gbps(6k@120hz/10 Bit). Now TB 5 is up to 80 Gbps. How will apple manage this for the next gen XDR display considering it gets a bump in refresh rate.

Its a miracle they achieved 60 Hz @ 6k/10Bit with TB 3/4.

Lastly, you will need a new series of mac devices with atleast TB 5. Current gen M series wont be able to drive any new Pro XDR displays.

Hence i m afraid a new refresh of the Pro XDR display is still at least 2-3 years away. By then we might even get a QD-OLED considering how mature OLED tech has become over the past few years.

View attachment 2353182
It seems that's not that simple. I've found calculations for 120 Hz here and the result fits to the TB5 bandwidth:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I believe the last few replies are focused on how much of the existing Apple lineup might be compatible with a 6K ProMotion display. And that the amount of existing hardware that is "XDR Pro Display with ProMotion"-ready implies how likely Apple would be to introduce something.

Does that sound right? My cynical take would be that Apple would honeybadger existing customers and intro newly compatible machines alongside a new promotion XDR. But @Backd00r 's link to the docs is kind of irrefutable, right?. Even the most entry level mac Studio is apparently ready for a display like this.

If that's correct, do any other existing products likely fit into the minimum spec needed for a new promotion XDR? For example, the newest M3 MBPs?

Eneco

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2018
I just recently got a Pro Display XDR and noticed there is a buzzing noise coming from the back of the Display. It is only audible when I'm behind the display and really close to it, so it doesn't affect regular use. Was just wondering if this is normal, as I wouldn't expect that from a display with such a price tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.