Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
My point was that it is a comparison that is favorable to Apple. I'm sure you can wait for a coupon that makes the m1330 cheaper than the MB, but you still have to deal with the fact that the MB is a better built, faster machine.
I understand what your point was and we are in agreement. I was poorly attempting to point out that the comparably priced Dell has some slower specs.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wait, you actually paid for the software???

My computer came with Tiger. I bought Leopard for $129.

The reason it's so much cheaper than Windows is that Apple knows I bought a machine from them at some point. Because of that they can chage $129 for the OS upgrades. That's all it is: an upgrade to my machine that I bought from them.

But if this kind of thing takes off, they have no way of knowing if I bought a machine from Apple or not. In fact, there's a good chance that MOST sales of OS X will be going to people who install them on non-Apple hardware. If that becomes common, they'll no longer sell it for $129. Expect to see more Windows-like prices.

ryanplusplus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Forget that aluminum enclosure, screen, or trackpad. I wasn't and am still not impressed by either of them. The aluminum seemed to show spots badly, and the glass reflects. Actually, I don't even use the trackpad on my 1525, and hate that glossy screen too.

I would have compared the CPU, but Apple kindly left out the model number for the CPU they use. Anyway, if you know that info, you can compare mine to theirs and come up with a summary.

I did mention the memory being different, however the screen has the same resolution, and is powered by an X3100. Low video card, yeah, but hey, it's powering a 15" screen.

Weight is 5.2 lbs. It's running Ubuntu 8.04, so I have all the software I need, and more, from editing our home videos to managing our music and photos.

I do have Firewire, that the new MB owners seem to like/want. :D

You can argue that you don't like/need the features that are offered, but that doesn't change the fact that they are part of the price. All you're really saying is that for your tastes and usage patterns that you can't justify the price. I can understand that the MB/P isn't the right choice for everyone, but you have to take everything into account if you want to argue price. I could just as easily say that you overpaid for the 1525 because I can get an Eee PC for <$300 that has all the features that I want, but that doesn't mean that it's a fair comparison.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Simple: all the people who predicted that Psystar was a hoax, a credit card scam, would never ship products, would not be able to support them if they did ship, wouldn't be able to fix issues like a noisy fan, wouldn't be able to upgrade to new OS versions, or would have Apple squash them like a bug whenever it felt like it - were just plain wrong. W-r-o-n-g.

At this point it appears that Apple is unwilling to test its EULA in court, so Psystar's decision to challenge it may have considerable merit.

That was my inference as well. I'm guessing they think they'll get a judge who doesn't care for their EULA's restrictiveness.

The reason it's so much cheaper than Windows is that Apple knows I bought a machine from them at some point. Because of that they can chage $129 for the OS upgrades. That's all it is: an upgrade to my machine that I bought from them.

But if this kind of thing takes off, they have no way of knowing if I bought a machine from Apple or not. In fact, there's a good chance that MOST sales of OS X will be going to people who install them on non-Apple hardware. If that becomes common, they'll no longer sell it for $129. Expect to see more Windows-like prices.

Apple's release structure is also much more rapid than windows. Since 2001, we've gone through 5 releases of OS X, all 129 at release. If you even upgrade once, you've upped the total to 260, which is on par with window releases that occur around every 5 years.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!

BTW most of the time we just get windows for free too

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You can argue that you don't like/need the features that are offered, but that doesn't change the fact that they are part of the price. All you're really saying is that for your tastes and usage patterns that you can't justify the price. I can understand that the MB/P isn't the right choice for everyone, but you have to take everything into account if you want to argue price. I could just as easily say that you overpaid for the 1525 because I can get an Eee PC for <$300 that has all the features that I want, but that doesn't mean that it's a fair comparison.

True, but do these things really make the system high-end? If I'm going to pay a hefty price for a system, it had better be on components that make a computing difference, not a difference in how it looks sitting on a table/desk.

That said, I still stand on the fact that Apple is charging the same when they are using the same CPU, GPU, RAM, whatever as other manufacturer's are. It's not like they are having Intel make a custom CPU, and Nvidia make a custom GPU, etc.

If you want to start comparing servers too, I can blow away Apple's XServe on pricing and performance.

That second argument what originally started this whole thing anyway, at least I think so...

Be back in awhile... This is exhausting.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Well, I do know computer parts, so you're wrong in that statement. Macintosh computers don't always just work either, otherwise we wouldn't have a forum full of people asking questions. ;)

I think your non-Mac system may be breaking down because of you're playing. Not sure though... :)

My PC breaks down because of playing for sure!!:) But the most recent computer parts are not placed in apple computers. Sure they make big announcements but really the parts are typically 6 months to one year old before they make it into the apple computers. Now everyone will cry foul because of the recent macbook update but I must remind everyone the NVIDIA technology was already released just not that model number yet. The processor is 6 months old and the so are the rest of the specs. Now the case (by the way, this is why they spent so much time on it) is completely new. Other than that it is a new shiny old macbook without firewire 400. Heck I was reading on these forums where people thought the possibility of hybrid SLI technology was exclusive to mac computers. SLI in laptops has been out for 2 years! It doesn't even work in apple computers yet!!

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

This is the truth!! My biggest fear of all. Screw everything else this is what will happen to Mac OS's of the future.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Well...they are offering an affordable tower that can run OSX. And with new options like bluray and 9800GT to boot. None of which Apple can be bothered to offer.

I have Bluray on my Mac, just because Apple hasn't released it yet doesn't mean you can't do it yourself! (it's not like Psystar did anything more than include a Bluray drive in a case)

ryanplusplus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
True, but do these things really make the system high-end? If I'm going to pay a hefty price for a system, it had better be on components that make a computing difference, not a difference in how it looks sitting on a table/desk.

That said, I still stand on the fact that Apple is charging the same when they are using the same CPU, GPU, RAM, whatever as other manufacturer's are. It's not like they are having Intel make a custom CPU, and Nvidia make a custom GPU, etc.

If you want to start comparing servers too, I can blow away Apple's XServe on pricing and performance.

That second argument what originally started this whole thing anyway, at least I think so...

Be back in awhile... This is exhausting.

But how do you explain the comparison to the m1330, though? Like I said, Apple won't compare favorably to any old computer because they don't offer low end machines.

Plus, even if the build quality isn't important to you, it's important to a lot of people.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I don't think quality is the issue

For all I know, they could be great. I'm going to continue using Apple's Macs because I'm a huge fan of what they do and how they do it. I genuinely enjoy supporting my favourite company.

This subject, however, conflicts me more than most. If I buy something, then I feel that it's mine to do with as I please. I know the law may not always agree, but that just makes sense to me. I don't want to be renting my stuff. So if I buy a PC and I buy a copy of OSX, then I don't think anyone can tell me what I can or can't do with them (outside of something malicious).

From Apple's angle, I appreciate that as a producer they want to control how their product is sold, marketed, and distributed. Psystar seems to be very confrontational in their marketing against Apple while bundling their product. Maybe this is the angle that Apple could take.

If I buy several apps and then resell them as the "douchebag bundle" do the app makers not have any say?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Psystar is not stealing Apple's software in any way unlike most people think. When you purchase a computer from Psystar, they give you a legal, legit, paid for, still sealed in plastic Apple OSX install disk. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fan, but a "Mac Pro" or "Open Pro" as they call it, which is an actual desktop computer not a computer inside of a monitor, is a great idea. Sure wish Apple would have a desktop computer other than a $2799!!! Mac Pro.

Do they really give you a "legal, legit, paid for, still sealed in plastic Apple OSX install disk"? If that is the case, and if they also have MacOS X pre-installed on their computers, then they are stuck in much much deeper **** than I ever thought. But no matter what, that "legal, legit, paid for, still sealed in plastic Apple OSX install disk" allows you to install MacOS X on an Apple-labeled computer. Not on a Psystar computer.

If you want to argue about this, don't do it here. Apple will very likely get a list of all Psystar customers as a part of any settlement, so you may be able to discuss this with Apple directly.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Legal Hacintosh.

There's nothing hard to this. I could put one together myself as they are industry standard parts. I wish Apple would modify the EULA so I can buy their software and install it legally. I would pay more than a Mac user just so I could run it on whatever hardware I want. I want the OS, not their overpriced hardware.

I have found a way to run Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware without violating the EULA. What you do is start with an Apple computer. the G4 tower is a good start. Then you upgrade the Apple computer. Apple allows third party upgrades as long as the machine is still "Apple Labled" (Apple's words) So,.... Take your $50 eBay junk G4 Power mac and upgrade it by installing a new Intel quad core mother board and a new power supply.

I think the G4 may have been the last Mac to use industry standard parts. A "standard" power supply and motherboard will fit, or can be made to fit. If you read the EULA carefully I don't even see this as a grey area. It is very clear that all Apple required is an Apple branded computer. They do not talk about modifications and upgrades

A looser reading of the EULA says the if you write the word "Apple" with a marking pen on your Hacintosh then you'd have "an Apple labelled computer". That's kind of nuts but a conservative reading says "Apple labelled computer" is a computer that Apple put it's label on. Apple did that to the G4, so you'd be OK.

9secondadidas

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Haha that's great

Go Psystar! Here's hoping this will somehow light a fire under Apples @$$ to get on the bluray bandwagon.

...but I know it won't.

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
For all I know, they could be great. I'm going to continue using Apple's Macs because I'm a huge fan of what they do and how they do it. I genuinely enjoy supporting my favourite company.

This subject, however, conflicts me more than most. If I buy something, then I feel that it's mine to do with as I please. I know the law may not always agree, but that just makes sense to me. I don't want to be renting my stuff. So if I buy a PC and I buy a copy of OSX, then I don't think anyone can tell me what I can or can't do with them (outside of something malicious).

From Apple's angle, I appreciate that as a producer they want to control how their product is sold, marketed, and distributed. Psystar seems to be very confrontational in their marketing against Apple while bundling their product. Maybe this is the angle that Apple could take.

If I buy several apps and then resell them as the "douchebag bundle" do the app makers not have any say?

Man: "douchebag bundle" = H I L A R I O U S !!!!!!!

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Sure:

Intel Core2Duo T5750
2GB RAM
**Wireless G
**Line out analog (who cares really, as I don't compute right next to a home theater)
5400rpm 250GB drive
Firewire
Multimedia card reader
15" widescreen
S-Video out
HDMI out
VGA out

Obviously no MagSafe, but don't see that as a plus or minus. Never had an issue with power on anything I've had. :confused:

So, if you want to include MagSafe, there 3 missing options for $900 more. Then again, I gained a Multimedia card reader and 3 video output options too. Also, if I wanted to upgrade to Wireless-N, I can get a Mini-PCI one for $80. I actually chose not to get 802.11n until it gets out of draft.

Which brands, models, chipsets. Firmware revisions, etc. You still aren't providing the required information to make a fair and balanced comparison.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Go Psystar! Here's hoping this will somehow light a fire under Apples @$$ to get on the bluray bandwagon.

...but I know it won't.
You're right, it won't happen. Psystar's actions are not going to change a damn thing Apple does.

Now if Apple would just wake up to the "bag of hurt" and support blu-ray themselves, and give us some decent mid-sized towers!
The mid-range Apple tower is a pipe-dream. I will crap myself in shock if Apple produces one.

As far as Blu-ray goes, I personally think it is overrated. Other than people at tech forums, I have not heard loud cries for Blu-ray devices.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I have said all along that Apple has a LOT more to loose then Psystar. If Apple looses they get their entire EULA thing invalidated.
No, they don't "loose" their SLA. No potential ruling of the case would invalidate their entire license. The absolute highest achievement for Psystar is an invalidation of the Apple-branded requirement, which would then prompt Apple to revise their licensing to accomplish the same result through a different means.
Notice that Apple backed off on the suit.
No, they did not. You've said it at least five times, but it's not true. The parties were ordered to ADR. It's par for the course in this kind of litigation.
On the contrary, if Apple could crush them that easily, why settle?
Because it's much cheaper and much faster, and at the end of the day, those are in everyone's best interests.
As for the ADR, Apple DID NOT back off on the suit. They simply went through the ADR procedure because this is a normal formality in the litigation process, as an attempt to settle things more "easily". This does NOT mean Apple is waiving the normal lawsuit, quite the opposite actually.
Quite right.

-claiming to be 8 bit but really 6-bit
There has been no such claim, and there remains, to this day, no manufacturer of 8-bit notebook panels.
I have found a way to run Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware without violating the EULA. What you do is start with an Apple computer. the G4 tower is a good start. Then you upgrade the Apple computer. Apple allows third party upgrades as long as the machine is still "Apple Labled" (Apple's words)
No. Your "way" is no more logical or legal than the "Apple sticker" tripe. 'Label' means "An informative display of written or graphic matter, such as a logo, title, or similar marking, affixed to goods or services to identify their source." In other words, it is synonymous with brand and valid only as far as indicating the manufacturer of the good.
That's kind of nuts
No, it's completely nuts.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I want the OS, not their overpriced hardware.

I am increasingly in that same boat. The new MB - too many design choices and spec choices made by Appl that just fly in the face of what I consider common sense. new MBP - glossy screen, no blu-ray, no high res screen, still the same obscene high price - no sale. No desktop workstation without paying thru the nose for a dual-socket server class board. Moronic.

My next OSX machine will almost certainly not come from Cupertino. It no longer makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.