Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I agree, it has obvious advantages but in my case I give higher priority to aesthetics.

And that is why choice of sizes is a good thing. One size doesn't fit all and it never did regardless of how much Apple wanted people to believe it did.

----------

This is Apple. Specs don't matter, remember? Hardware/software blah, blah, blah... tight integration... blah, blah, blah... software optimization, etc.

It seems specs don't matter around here when it doesn't affect you. The moment it does, seems like spec chasing isn't the sole provenance of Android. :rolleyes: Get the 4.7" phone and be happy. You will have a phone that is more advanced than any iPhone you have or can get today. It will take you 2-4 years into the future with nary a worry. That 4.7" phone will likely meet your every expectation, and most likely surpass it.

Like penis envy, it's an unnecessary worry that you can't do much about.;)

Speaking of Renzatic, where has he been? Does Samsung have him buried in work trying to get the inside scoop on the iPhone 6 and the iWatch?? :D:D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humorous as Renzatic and I are MR buddies. But I don't work for Samsung. :D:D:D

Is that enough smilies? Or should I add a few more, just in case? :D:D

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
And that is why choice of sizes is a good thing. One size doesn't fit all and it never did regardless of how much Apple wanted people to believe it did.

----------

Speaking of Renzatic, where has he been? Does Samsung have him buried in work trying to get the inside scoop on the iPhone 6 and the iWatch?? :D:D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humorous as Renzatic and I are MR buddies. But I don't work for Samsung. :D:D:D

Is that enough smilies? Or should I add a few more, just in case? :D:D

Exactly, no problems, not my cup of tea so I will buy the other and everybody can be satisfied. Anyway, one thing I will be missing is the led notification, now that's something useful when you get used to it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
You mean to tell me that some of you would buy the 5.5" phone that you know will be too big for you (and probably be unhappy with), just to be able to say or feel like you got the phone with a better camera?

Comical! THATS why Apple loves you!

I would just prefer the 4.7" I could get used to the 5.5". To me, the most important feature is the Camera :)

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Will give you an example:

iPad Air - larger device - practially same specs as iPad Mini w/Retina - smaller device.

*Same Camera
*Same RAM
*Same CPU (iPad Air clocked slightly higher)
*Same Integrated GPU

That is why!

Based on this alone, I think they will stay the same.

Why does everyone keep using the iPads as a reference point? :mad: Wouldn't it be more sensible to use the phones they've already introduced as a reference point? Since we're talking about phones. 5C & 5S. So Apple has had a high/low release in the past. Also you seem to be overlooking the original mini. It wasn't specced on par with the iPad.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The insecurity of some in the 4.7" camp about the potential of the 5.5" phone having a differentiating feature is astounding. It's always been a stereotype that iPhone owners somehow thought they were "above" other people with "lesser" phones, and now that stereotype will evidently end up playing out inside the iPhone circle. Should Apple not do anything with the extra space that a 5.5" phone offers? Even if the 5.5" phone costs more? Just to not offend the 4.7" owners who might perceive that their phone is no longer a "flagship" device?

The funniest thing is, if Apple ended up releasing only a 4.7" phone and didn't include OIS, there wouldn't be many complaints....but if it's in the 5.5 and not the 4.7, THEN there will be hell to pay.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
The insecurity of some in the 4.7" camp about the potential of the 5.5" phone having a differentiating feature is astounding. It's always been a stereotype that iPhone owners somehow thought they were "above" other people with "lesser" phones, and now that stereotype will evidently end up playing out inside the iPhone circle. Should Apple not do anything with the extra space that a 5.5" phone offers? Even if the 5.5" phone costs more? Just to not offend the 4.7" owners who might perceive that their phone is no longer a "flagship" device?

The funniest thing is, if Apple ended up releasing only a 4.7" phone and didn't include OIS, there wouldn't be many complaints....but if it's in the 5.5 and not the 4.7, THEN there will be hell to pay.
Insecurity? How about I just prefer the size that a 4.7" screen provides but I still want to have a top of the line phone? It's my biggest complaint with Android devices and why I am looking to come back to the iPhone, most manufactures are moving to 5"+ devices as their flagships, and that just isn't something I prefer. If the LG G3 came in a 4.7" version that had all the same specs as the 5.5" version I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Pretty amazing how developed and advanced our technology is. We can build a really high quality digital camera with some amazing features into such a tiny module.

It wasn't long ago that we first put a digital photographic sensor onto a phone.

I'm sure the iPhone 6 is going to be great, just like my 5S. I hope we remember to actually appreciate this amazing tech rather than fight and bicker over minute spec differences.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
The lens will not protrude on the 5.5 inch model, according to the recent Foxconn leak.

But other than that, I don't see the big issue anyway. People use cases. The camera will not protrude beyond the case. If you don't use a case, then a protruding camera is going to be less ugly than those scratches on the back of your phone in any case.

Hey, man, I hope that's the truth because I'd personally be slightly annoyed by a protruding lens. I'd get over it in about a day, though. So I agree it's not a big deal.

I gave up using a case two iPhones ago. I definitely take great care of my electronics especially because they're so crucial to my business, but I don't cry (for too long) about getting a scratch on the back of the phone.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I looked at the MR Roundup - no camera module so we have no idea....

That's my point - and who knows how many of these intricate parts are the final deal? There are likely numerous prototypes with a variety of different specifications to see what works best.

We've seen a fully complete logic board that indicates the iPhone 6 will have 1GB of RAM and I'm not 100% convinced of that either.

Ya'll can go crazy and whine and moan if that's what you really want to do. I'm just saying....we're only 4 days away....can't the complaining wait until we actually have a REAL product with known specs to complain about?

OMG!!!1! NO CAMERA MODULE FOR THE 4.7" THAT MEANS ONLY BIGGER IPHONE HAVE CAMERA!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Ok, I'm done. :)

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
My problem isn't with the choice of lens, it's with the choice not to make a thicker case to render the lens flush. Fill the extra space with battery, and the weight gains are minimal, yet the usability gains are significant.

Never while using my iPhone 4S have I paused to think, "this thing is TOO THICK!" I don't understand this obsession with thinness at the expensive of battery life. Is it just part of the game of ensuring that batteries are worn out at the end of two year contracts? Is it really no more than greed?

Couldn't agree more. I always wonder if it's Apple trying to keep things thin because society thinks thinner tech = better/advanced or if there's some other reason for it like profit margins. I'd gladly pay an extra $50 for a battery that lasts 2 days of normal use. Or hey- crazy idea... Make a phone that has a back that opens so we can just pop in a second battery. (Yes like Android... Before the fandroids come out...).

You talk about worn out batteries after 2 years. Have you really kept one phone that long? I get each new iPhone and I've always had to switch one out at the Apple store for some reason or another.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

What a bizarre comment. How about the simple fact that people would want a top of the line phone in a smaller form factor? The 4" has one of the best cameras around and it has remained a incredible flagship device compared to other phones out there. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to continue that with the 4.7".

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
What a bizarre comment. How about the simple fact that people would want a top of the line phone in a smaller form factor? The 4" has one of the best cameras around and it has remained a incredible flagship device compared to other phones out there. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to continue that with the 4.7".

You are making the exact point, the current phone already has a fantastic camera, and the 4.7" WILL be "top of the line" for that form factor, and nobody will have any complaints about it's camera performance.....but the complaints will be endless if the 5.5" form factor includes a camera that is "top of the line" for it's form factor simply because it's perceived to be better than the 4.7.

Should Canon fans complain that the 70-200 F2.8 non IS model doesn't have the same IS capability of the "top of the line" IS II model, even though it's bigger and more expensive?

Larger size will ALWAYS enable better technology and capability when it comes to electronics and/or image quality and optics.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
So disappointed. Now if I want the best phone Apple has to offer, I have to get a 5.5" iPhone (too big for me but I get others like it). :(

I don't mind Apple making a 5.5" iPhone along with the 4.7", but they should keep them the same spec wise.

^ this exactly. I have gotten the flagship iphone every year on launch day since 07. And this year should be the same. But no way I want a 5.5" phone. 4.7" has always been my ideal (dream) size for an iPhone screen. It would be so stupid on apples part to make the 5.5" the flagship phone with more features. If anything, more people are gonna want the 4.7". I don't believe apple would do this. My bet is that they are exactly the same with the exception of screen size. And if I'm wrong, apple has truly lost it's way.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Get those pockets ready boys and girls. The 4.7” will be the crap model and the 5.5” will be the beast. Hopefully the 5.5” won’t have that ugly camera hump.

slippery

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
So I guess us 4.7" iPhone 6 purchasers will always be a year behind the 5.5" iPhone owners. Having to wait for the S revision to get the same specs as the previous years 5.5" version is b*llocks. Personally I think 5.5" screen for a phone is ridiculous and no amount of Apple spin is going to convince me otherwise. Having lesser specs just because I don't want an iPad mini stuck to the side of my head is taking the p**s. I reckon Apple will try and sell the 5.5" iPhone 6 by saying something like "and for those people who require even more power in their iPhone we have the new 5.5" iPhone 6. No Tim we all want the same power and options and shouldn't be given a lesser model just because we don't want to look like complete c**ts.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
So I guess us 4.7" iPhone 6 purchasers will always be a year behind the 5.5" iPhone owners. Having to wait for the S revision to get the same specs as the previous years 5.5" version is b*llocks. Personally I think 5.5" screen for a phone is ridiculous and no amount of Apple spin is going to convince me otherwise. Having lesser specs just because I don't want an iPad mini stuck to the side of my head is taking the p**s. I reckon Apple will try and sell the 5.5" iPhone 6 by saying something like "and for those people who require even more power in their iPhone we have the new 5.5" iPhone 6. No Tim we all want the same power and options and shouldn't be given a lesser model just because we don't want to look like complete c**ts.

Exhibit A

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
You are making the exact point, the current phone already has a fantastic camera, and the 4.7" WILL be "top of the line" for that form factor, and nobody will have any complaints about it's camera performance.....but the complaints will be endless if the 5.5" form factor includes a camera that is "top of the line" for it's form factor simply because it's perceived to be better than the 4.7.

Should Canon fans complain that the 70-200 F2.8 non IS model doesn't have the same IS capability of the "top of the line" IS II model, even though it's bigger and more expensive?

Larger size will ALWAYS enable better technology and capability when it comes to electronics and/or image quality and optics.

I'm well aware of the fact that a bigger form factor enables more capabilities. To be quite frank though, there's really no point in arguing about this since it's nothing more than a simple rumour. While I also understand your analogy to Canon, I wouldn't claim that it necessarily is the right analogy to make in this instance with relation to how Apple have been releasing their models.

People referring to 5C vs 5S clearly don't understand that those are two entirely different phones. This is about a flagship model which will potentially be released in two different sizes.

But, I believe this bottoms down to a very crucial business decision and it will be interesting to see which decision they take and how it will affect their sales.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Still not sure Apple cant match the Notes' specs. I wish... but I dunno. It'll take a miracle.

That VR accessory has me "almost" sold. If the Gear VR worked with a computer it would be no contest. The current Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 uses a Note 3 display so I know with the Note 4 it would be even more amazing.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Insecurity? How about I just prefer the size that a 4.7" screen provides but I still want to have a top of the line phone? It's my biggest complaint with Android devices and why I am looking to come back to the iPhone, most manufactures are moving to 5"+ devices as their flagships, and that just isn't something I prefer. If the LG G3 came in a 4.7" version that had all the same specs as the 5.5" version I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Ffs.... there is NOT the conspiracy that you guys imagine. There is not a slightly lower color gamut in the iPad mini b/c they don't want you to buy it- that's ridiculous. There's a lower color gamut because the smaller screens are the exact same resolution but (wait for it...) happen to have a slightly lower color gamut. End of story. The experience with the two is identical to all but the most rabidly psychotic self-professed videophiles. It is NOT an attempt by Apple to push anybody in one direction.
Similarly, I expect that while in a non OIS equipped set of phones, a larger screen would make for a more shaky picture- I assume that a 4.7" iPhone equipped with high tech software-based OIS will take photos virtually identical to a 5.5" iPhone equipped with a hardware based OIS.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
RELAX!

4 days until its announced. You can all whine about a REAL product then. Until Tuesday, stop complaining about something that isn't even real yet.

Yeah, how DARE you complain about or discuss a rumor on a site called somethingrumors

haha just kidding w/ya.

...but seriously, the complaints are valid and will be echoed by me if/when we find it to be true. I can't fathom a 5.5" phone in my pocket. It's already pretty crowded down there (if ya catch what I mean ;) )

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
Will give you an example:

iPad Air - larger device - practially same specs as iPad Mini w/Retina - smaller device.

*Same Camera
*Same RAM
*Same CPU (iPad Air clocked slightly higher)
*Same Integrated GPU

That is why!

Based on this alone, I think they will stay the same.

And yet the iPad mini retina is selling like crap... with rumors ape will be making a change to one but not the other to differentiate them.

Then we have the apparent low interest in 5.5 compared to 4.7.

I do think it becomes a hard sell to fork out $800 for a phone that has a big brother with better specs. It will make the 4.7" be one of those "mini" phones the androids pump out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.