Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Us Five-Fivers will be taunting your blurry, un-optically-stabilized photos.

Yes, we will laugh and point fingers at the new class of "technology have-nots" that are the 4.7" iPhone owners.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Will give you an example:

iPad Air - larger device - practially same specs as iPad Mini w/Retina - smaller device.

*Same Camera
*Same RAM
*Same CPU (iPad Air clocked slightly higher)
*Same Integrated GPU

That is why!

Based on this alone, I think they will stay the same.

That's not a particularly good example. Camera is not a relevant feature on a tablet, the RAM is seriously underspecced on both and the CPU/GPU will obviously be the same between the phones as well.

Also, even the iPad mini is big enough to easily swallow everything that the Air has, whereas a phone, especially the smaller and thinner a phone is, is seriously limited by its internal space and you just can't fit the same things in both.

----------

As an Android guy, that does sound cool actually. I don't believe it's been done on any other smart phone either.

Well, not before 2012 or so at least.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
So I guess us 4.7" iPhone 6 purchasers will always be a year behind the 5.5" iPhone owners. Having to wait for the S revision to get the same specs as the previous years 5.5" version is b*llocks. Personally I think 5.5" screen for a phone is ridiculous and no amount of Apple spin is going to convince me otherwise. Having lesser specs just because I don't want an iPad mini stuck to the side of my head is taking the p**s. I reckon Apple will try and sell the 5.5" iPhone 6 by saying something like "and for those people who require even more power in their iPhone we have the new 5.5" iPhone 6. No Tim we all want the same power and options and shouldn't be given a lesser model just because we don't want to look like complete c**ts.

Boo-hoo.

----------

Similarly, I expect that while in a non OIS equipped set of phones, a larger screen would make for a more shaky picture- I assume that a 4.7" iPhone equipped with high tech software-based OIS will take photos virtually identical to a 5.5" iPhone equipped with a hardware based OIS.

Why would you expect that? If anything, a larger and sturdier phone is easier to grip and hold steady, so the OIS will be a double whammy.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I agree that debating a rumor is probably pointless, but keep in mind if the 5.5 rumor at least is true....the 5.5 is very important to Apple in the non-USA markets where phablets are becoming the norm. The Note 4 spec-wise destroys the current iPhone. If the 5.5 is simply a larger screen variant of the 4.7, I'm not sure if would have enough to set itself apart from competing Android phones. The best case scenario for Apple is to spec the phone to compete with other Phablet flagships. As annoyed as some 4.7 owners apparently would be, I think they'll still buy the phone (or even choose the more expensive 5.5), which will end up being win-win for Apple.

I don't think Apple has anything to worry about hardware wise. It all really boils down to user experience and people in this community/techies are the only ones who are going to be aware of the hardware inside of it.

They've always included top of the line specs. The A7 took everyone by surprise and it's right now currently one year old. Obviously anyone selling a phone nowadays is hopefully going to perform better than the A7. By a month from now Apple is probably going to be at the top or among the best.

The only thing I do however worry about is if they won't double the amount of RAM. I don't know if they have somehow increased the memory footprint for Safari with iOS 8, but that is still going to eat up the physical amount of memory left. Therefore I do believe including 2 GB will extend the time of a good user experience with future iOS updates.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
You are making the exact point, the current phone already has a fantastic camera, and the 4.7" WILL be "top of the line" for that form factor, and nobody will have any complaints about it's camera performance.....but the complaints will be endless if the 5.5" form factor includes a camera that is "top of the line" for it's form factor simply because it's perceived to be better than the 4.7.

Should Canon fans complain that the 70-200 F2.8 non IS model doesn't have the same IS capability of the "top of the line" IS II model, even though it's bigger and more expensive?

Larger size will ALWAYS enable better technology and capability when it comes to electronics and/or image quality and optics.

A large chassis enables and even demands some features: a larger, faster CPU and GPU. Superior battery life. Better sound. Potentially better reception due to the larger antennas. But OIS doesn't require a large chassis. Phones featuring OIS include the Nokia Lumia 920 (4.5" display), the HTC One (4.7" display), and the LG G2 (5.2" display). Clearly, a 4.7" display phone can house an OIS equipped camera.

Understand that some of us consider the smaller size a feature. Speaking for myself, an iPhone's raison d'etre is the incredible amount of tech packed into an emminently portable package. Even Apple claimed in the iPhone 5 introduction that while some phones were bigger, the iPhone was "just right". Anand Lal Shimpi has remarked that the sweet spot in the spectrum between usability and portability is around 4.6" - 4.7". Any idiot can build a giant phone - it takes judgement and creativity to arrive at the optimal phone.

It's interesting that you brought up Canon's lenses, because a great comparison comes to mind:

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Two lenses similar in zoom range and aperture, yet one is compact in size. The small one costs nearly twice as much due to the extra glass and tech needed to fit the high performance in a small package.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
iPods are not important and compulsary deviced while phones are.
and you are basically saying we need to hide the product inside a case to cover it's ugly and poor design.that's the dumbest solution I've heard.
Apple is known for perfection in design,if one of their products is so badly designed that people have to hide them in a cover,then that product is a disaster.

ITS a disaster! CAMERAGATE! I wondered what "gate" the new phone would have.... thanks for clearing that up.

First world disaster is exposed camera. While the rest of the world have floods, volcanos, Tsunami etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.