Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Because many people don't want a phone that large, so they have to sweeten other specs to entice people.

I'm not really sure a higher megapixel count is really that beneficial. Depends on numerous factors such as the optics, ISP, CMOS sensor etc.

Marsontherocks

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
Living in Denmark at the moment
Is it possible that when placed on a surface that the camera will be pushed in to be flush with the rest of the phone?

I've been wondering something similar, but more like the camera would "pop-out" when activated, like many pocket cameras. This would ofcourse make for some kind of mechanical part doing the work, which would cause a very high possibility of eventual failure or wear-out...which kind of ends that presumption :(

Last edited:

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Couldn't agree more. I always wonder if it's Apple trying to keep things thin because society thinks thinner tech = better/advanced or if there's some other reason for it like profit margins. I'd gladly pay an extra $50 for a battery that lasts 2 days of normal use. Or hey- crazy idea... Make a phone that has a back that opens so we can just pop in a second battery. (Yes like Android... Before the fandroids come out...).

You talk about worn out batteries after 2 years. Have you really kept one phone that long? I get each new iPhone and I've always had to switch one out at the Apple store for some reason or another.

Yeah, I like to squeeze lots of life out of all my computer hardware, so I'll upgrade my 4S to a 4.7" 6. Apple nearly got me to upgrade based on the the 5's fingerprint sensor and amazing low light camera performance.

Totally agree on paying a little extra for improved battery life. A removable battery is even cooler, but that adds a mm or two of thickness so Ive would snip off his left nut before he consented to such an awesome feature. On the other hand, some who need extra iPhone battery life use a Mophie battery case - but it's a LOT thicker than carrying an extra battery to swap in, LOL.

Jwowbman

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Any rumors floating about the purchase of "beats" being attached to the iphone 6 release in any way?

I was hoping for this TOO! That would be amazing to see beats put their work in the speakers on the phone to make it louder/crisper!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Speaking of Renzatic, where has he been? Does Samsung have him buried in work trying to get the inside scoop on the iPhone 6 and the iWatch?? :D:D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humorous as Renzatic and I are MR buddies. But I don't work for Samsung. :D:D:D

Is that enough smilies? Or should I add a few more, just in case? :D:D

Renzatic is in an undisclosed location recovering from a couple of super secret, double pinky swear missions that were critical to Samsung. Mission 1 coincidentally, is related to the subject of the OP. He infiltrated numerous iPhone suppliers and stole just enough components to force Apple to dedicate the higher end parts to the 5.5" inch phone; leaving the 4.7" model woefully underspecced and underwhelming compared to it's bigger brother. His ultimate objective was to breed discord and a sense of na nanny boo boo between the two size factions. Based on this, and previous threads, Renzatic did an outstanding job and it will be reflected in his bonus.

Mission 2 was far more insidious and difficult to achieve. Using 2 full truckloads of Hot Pockets, he bribed Anand Lal Shimpi to join Apple. Anand's sole job is to convince Apple to continue to use 1GB of RAM for as long as humanly possible. Anand gets a bonus of an additional truckload if he can convince one of the Sept. 9 presenters to mention hardware/software integration and/or optimization when defending the RAM choice.

Renzatic would have been on MR today, but he forgot to charge his Galaxy Gear S last night.:D:p:D:p

disclosure: Scruff and I are joking with each other. None of the above is true, except for the stuff about Mission 1 and 2. I made up the bit about his watch.;)

Last edited:

Jwowbman

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
So I guess us 4.7" iPhone 6 purchasers will always be a year behind the 5.5" iPhone owners. Having to wait for the S revision to get the same specs as the previous years 5.5" version is b*llocks. Personally I think 5.5" screen for a phone is ridiculous and no amount of Apple spin is going to convince me otherwise. Having lesser specs just because I don't want an iPad mini stuck to the side of my head is taking the p**s. I reckon Apple will try and sell the 5.5" iPhone 6 by saying something like "and for those people who require even more power in their iPhone we have the new 5.5" iPhone 6. No Tim we all want the same power and options and shouldn't be given a lesser model just because we don't want to look like complete c**ts.

I 100% AGREE! I think the 5.5" is going to be quite a jump from a 4" screen and I would be happy with the 4.7" BUT I don't want to be left behind on some fancy new upgrades...especially if there is a better Camera. I am real excited for the camera to catch up to what everyone else has been bringing to the table!

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'm well aware of the fact that a bigger form factor enables more capabilities. To be quite frank though, there's really no point in arguing about this since it's nothing more than a simple rumour. While I also understand your analogy to Canon, I wouldn't claim that it necessarily is the right analogy to make in this instance with relation to how Apple have been releasing their models.

People referring to 5C vs 5S clearly don't understand that those are two entirely different phones. This is about a flagship model which will potentially be released in two different sizes.

But, I believe this bottoms down to a very crucial business decision and it will be interesting to see which decision they take and how it will affect their sales.

I agree that debating a rumor is probably pointless, but keep in mind if the 5.5 rumor at least is true....the 5.5 is very important to Apple in the non-USA markets where phablets are becoming the norm. The Note 4 spec-wise destroys the current iPhone. If the 5.5 is simply a larger screen variant of the 4.7, I'm not sure if would have enough to set itself apart from competing Android phones. The best case scenario for Apple is to spec the phone to compete with other Phablet flagships. As annoyed as some 4.7 owners apparently would be, I think they'll still buy the phone (or even choose the more expensive 5.5), which will end up being win-win for Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Renzatic is in an undisclosed location recovering from a couple of super secret, double pinky swear missions that were critical to Samsung. Mission 1 coincidentally, is related to the subject of the OP. He infiltrated numerous iPhone suppliers and stole just enough components to force Apple to dedicate the higher end parts to the 5.5" inch phone; leaving the 4.7" model woefully underspecced and underwhelming compared to it's bigger brother. His ultimate objective was to breed discord and a sense of na nanny boo boo between the two size factions. Based on this, and previous threads, Renzatic did an outstanding job and it will be reflected in his bonus.

Mission 2 was far more insidious and difficult to achieve. Using 2 full truckloads of Hot Pockets, he bribed Anand Lal Shimpi to join Apple. Anand sole job is to convince Apple to continue to use 1GB of RAM for as long as humanly possible. Anand gets a bonus of an additional truckload if he can convince one of the Sept. 9 presenters to mention hardware/software integration and/or optimization when defending the RAM choice.

He would have been on MR today, but he forgot to charge his Galaxy Gear S last night.:D:p:D:p

disclosure: Scruff and I are joking with each other. None of the above is true, except for the stuff about Mission 1 and 2. I made up the bit about his watch.;)

You're good. Very good. I think Renzy can get you a good position in Special Ops. :D

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I'm not really sure a higher megapixel count is really that beneficial. Depends on numerous factors such as the optics, ISP, CMOS sensor etc.

In an iPhone that isn't built around the camera and thus has constraints on the cost of camera components, I'd rather see money spent on a bigger sensor and better lenses. Maybe 12MP on a significantly bigger sensor, but I'll be surprised if Apple goes that route. With iCloud photostreams on by default in iOS 8, even 8MP images are going to eat up a LOT of bandwidth.

On a phone designed around the camera, like the 41 MP Nokia Lumia, oversampling technology produces extraordinary results. Ultra high MP sensors are an intriguing solution for phones since they lack the space for good zoom lenses. Get as close as practical, shoot the image, and then crop to zoom in. For low light, use oversampling tech.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I find it funny that we are less than 4 days away from the iPhone 6 announcement and yet people are still leaking parts.
Who cares at this point? :p

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
So disappointed. Now if I want the best phone Apple has to offer, I have to get a 5.5" iPhone (too big for me but I get others like it). :(

I don't mind Apple making a 5.5" iPhone along with the 4.7", but they should keep them the same spec wise.

All I can say is screw you Tim Cook if you restrict the best camera feature to the phablet to create some phony differentiation. :rolleyes:

It would be pretty disappointing to me for the 5.5" version to have extra features.

THIS!

I couldn't care less about a giant phone. I'd be much happier with my same old 4" phone. I guess I can live with 4.7" but its extremely irritating that they are turning the huge phone into the flagship model. It should be the same, perhaps with the smaller phone having a slightly higher DPI because it has the same resolution in a smaller package. Instead the 5.5" is going to have OIS, better resolution, better DPI, and have a sapphire cover. They've managed to sell hundreds of millions of iPhones with small screens, I think its safe to assume we don't all want to hold iPad minis to our heads.

I don’t get it. To me, it makes perfect sense for a larger device to have better specs simply because it has more internal space to work with. The sacrifice 5.5” people are making to gain these few extra minor features is portability. It’s a tradeoff. The conditions of the tradeoff are governed by physical reality, not arbitrary decisions by Apple. (The exception would be something like if Apple gives sapphire screens only to the 5.5”, which would just be an arbitrary choice. Although in my opinion sapphire is actually a disadvantage, but that’s a different topic.)

The only way Apple could be showing favoritism is to base future versions of iOS on the capabilities of the 5.5” hardware, and not the 4.7”. But I don’t see that happening.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
hopefully they improve the seal around the sapphire lens cover, i mean my gosh...so much crap gets in there on the iPhone 5 and 5S.

never had a problem with my 4S though

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You're good. Very good. I think Renzy can get you a good position in Special Ops. :D

That would be awesome! Imagine me, a Samsung SpecOps agent. Unfortunately, it would interfere with my part time job as human tester in experimental drug trials. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially.

/bangs head against keyboard

Unfortunately, not all of the side effects are funny.;)

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
THIS!

I couldn't care less about a giant phone. I'd be much happier with my same old 4" phone. I guess I can live with 4.7" but its extremely irritating that they are turning the huge phone into the flagship model. It should be the same, perhaps with the smaller phone having a slightly higher DPI because it has the same resolution in a smaller package. Instead the 5.5" is going to have OIS, better resolution, better DPI, and have a sapphire cover. They've managed to sell hundreds of millions of iPhones with small screens, I think its safe to assume we don't all want to hold iPad minis to our heads.

You bring up a good point. I think they should keep the 4" 5S model around permanently (as long as it sells well). My belief is that many people buy an iPhone because of the smaller, more compact form factor. There are many (especially women, from what I can tell) who don't want a larger phone. Probably the plan is to keep the 5S around just like the 4 and 4S stayed around forever.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That would be awesome! Imagine me, a Samsung SpecOps agent. Unfortunately, it would interfere with my part time job as human tester in experimental drug trials. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially. One cool side effect from all the drugs is my sense of humor developed exponentially.

/bangs head against keyboard

Unfortunately, not all of the side effects are funny.;)

There's an app for that.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
I'm so sorry everyone, but I just have to wait until I can hear Based God 1080p's words to convince us if this is real or not. :rolleyes:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
The insecurity of some in the 4.7" camp about the potential of the 5.5" phone having a differentiating feature is astounding. It's always been a stereotype that iPhone owners somehow thought they were "above" other people with "lesser" phones, and now that stereotype will evidently end up playing out inside the iPhone circle. Should Apple not do anything with the extra space that a 5.5" phone offers? Even if the 5.5" phone costs more? Just to not offend the 4.7" owners who might perceive that their phone is no longer a "flagship" device?

The funniest thing is, if Apple ended up releasing only a 4.7" phone and didn't include OIS, there wouldn't be many complaints....but if it's in the 5.5 and not the 4.7, THEN there will be hell to pay.

Plays out everywhere. BMW owners are the weirdest. 5 Series owners snooty-snoot 3 Series owners, 6 Series owners snooty-snoot both of them, and I don't even want to think about what it's like now with their whole odd/even 4door/2door marketing setup. :rolleyes: it's pretty ridiculous.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Imagine if they had different "enthusiast" models. A 12-16mp camera "photography" model with improved optics and a larger sensor. An "endurance" model with the ability to last 2+ days. They could use the same chassis and just change the components.

Fenez

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
Only makes sense to have higher specs in the larger phone... Why does Apple need to make them the same?
The 4.7" will surely be a great phone even if the 5.5" has higher specs.. I just don't see the reasoning behind the sour grapes if the smaller phone isn't the exact same with the exception of screen size...why cripple the larger device?

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Oh my... it's finally going to be waterproof!

Only makes sense to have higher specs in the larger phone... Why does Apple need to make them the same?
The 4.7" will surely be a great phone even if the 5.5" has higher specs.. I just don't see the reasoning behind the sour grapes if the smaller phone isn't the exact same with the exception of screen size...why cripple the larger device?

It's not about crippling the larger one, it's about NOT crippling the smaller one. Just like Sony's Z3 and its 'mini' version.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
Yeah, I like to squeeze lots of life out of all my computer hardware, so I'll upgrade my 4S to a 4.7" 6. Apple nearly got me to upgrade based on the the 5's fingerprint sensor and amazing low light camera performance.

Totally agree on paying a little extra for improved battery life. A removable battery is even cooler, but that adds a mm or two of thickness so Ive would snip off his left nut before he consented to such an awesome feature. On the other hand, some who need extra iPhone battery life use a Mophie battery case - but it's a LOT thicker than carrying an extra battery to swap in, LOL.

I envy your patience, man. No way I could wait two years!!

Haha totally. And yeah when I travel I have a Mophie case. Definitely bulky but great for that occasion as it's a nice looking case and gets the job done.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Guys higher specs don't result in the title of flagship model. Besides, the 5.5'' will need more processing power anyway due to more pixels and has more space physically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.