Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Wow, this thread has turned into a sad nasty little cesspool.

Who knew a RED iPod nano could have turned the hate up a notch? :eek:

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
mizzoucat said:
Why don't they focus on a real disease that is taking the lives of our own nation every day........like cancer? AIDS is not a serious epidemic in the United States. I don't know a single person who has died of AIDS nor anyone who has even been HIV positive. Yet, I know several people who have died of cancer. :mad:

:rolleyes:

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
kurtsayin said:
I would love to have a red iPod, but I don't know why we would ever give money to help fight AIDS on a continent where the people take NO precautions to prevent themselves from getting AIDS... I mean, sure many children are born with it in Africa, but for soooo many adults, they could prevent the spread if they would just be monogamous.

So there, I solved AIDS for free, no Oprah, no Bono, no Ipods. Just have sex only within a lifetime committed relationship and AIDS is all but gone in one generation!

That's nothing. I can solve AIDS, stop global warming, eliminate poverty and end war for free. Ready? Humans: stop breeding.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
mizzoucat said:
Why don't they focus on a real disease that is taking the lives of our own nation every day........like cancer? AIDS is not a serious epidemic in the United States. I don't know a single person who has died of AIDS nor anyone who has even been HIV positive. Yet, I know several people who have died of cancer. :mad:

This campaign is to provide AIDS sufferers with a treatment that is KNOWN to be quite effective in extending their lives, in some cases indefinitely. So it's more akin to providing polio or smallpox vaccines in years past - it's something that's KNOWN to work, it just needs to be distributed worldwide to people that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it.

Not only does cancer already get a LOT of money from both non-profits and for-profits, but it's not a given that more money would necessarilty make much impact in finding either a cure or more treatments for cancer....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Gasu E. said:
That's nothing. I can solve AIDS, stop global warming, eliminate poverty and end war for free. Ready? Humans: stop breeding.

And sharing needles.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
mizzoucat said:
Well there is nothing stopping you from doing this.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
LaMerVipere said:
Wow, this thread has turned into a sad nasty little cesspool.

Who knew a RED iPod nano could have turned the hate up a notch? :eek:

No kidding! This is something that Apple *didn't* have to do. And no one is forcing anyone to buy these iPods. I don't see how people could think this is a net negative....

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
lmalave said:
This campaign is to provide AIDS sufferers with a treatment that is KNOWN to be quite effective in extending their lives, in some cases indefinitely. So it's more akin to providing polio or smallpox vaccines in years past - it's something that's KNOWN to work, it just needs to be distributed worldwide to people that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it.

Not only does cancer already get a LOT of money from both non-profits and for-profits, but it's not a given that more money would necessarilty make much impact in finding either a cure or more treatments for cancer....

Fair enough. It's just that 700,000 Americans die from cancer each year compared to 15,000 who die from AIDS. I see your point though.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
mizzoucat said:

Um, I'm going to restrain myself on this one. But I'll settle for this: please read a book, a newspaper, or anything mildly intelligent written on a subject that includes FACTS and RESEARCH before writing something so utterly ignorant it is mind boggling.

There are currently almost 500,000 HIV/AIDS infections in the United States, and there are somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 new cases every year. And those are just the ones that are reported. There are likely many more. Of those, nearly half as many (17,000 - 20,000) die every year. That's the World Trade Center, almost TEN times every year.

Not an epidemic? Please find your brain, attempt to turn it on, find facts, then post.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
clintob said:
Um, I'm going to restrain myself on this one. But I'll settle for this: please read a book, a newspaper, or anything mildly intelligent written on a subject that includes FACTS and RESEARCH before writing something so utterly ignorant it is mind boggling.

There are currently almost 500,000 HIV/AIDS infections in the United States, and there are somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 new cases every year. And those are just the ones that are reported. There are likely many more. Of those, nearly half as many (17,000 - 20,000) die every year. That's the World Trade Center, almost TEN times every year.

Not an epidemic? Please find your brain, attempt to turn it on, find facts, then post.

Forgive me for my ignorance.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
lmalave said:
You are somehow saying that Pharmas should charge a lower price than customers are willing to pay. Why? They're a private company. The price they are charging is usually whatever price they estimate maximizes their profits. The price *would* eventually get to a point where their sales would drop off because people are unwilling to pay that high a price. However, the prices for medicines tend to be high because: 1) pharmas usually have a monopoly on the drug they're selling, because of patents as I've mentioned, and 2) customers are willing to pay a high price for medicines, because health is a top priority for most people.

You conveniently glossed over the one major flaw in your argument: pharmaceutical drugs are patented before there is opportunity for competition. There are no alternatives, no competition, and therefore there is no fair market. The market for competition is strangled before it ever has a chance to grow. That's not capitalism... there's no free enterprise there. That's the very reason we have laws against monopolies.

The reason it's allowed to go is because the Federal government has an extremely high financial stake in these companies. The entire system is corrupt in that sense, so to say that these companies charge "fair" prices is lunacy, pure and simple. These companies can charge any price they want, and people will pay it, not because they think it's fair, but because they have no alternative. These companies are NOT the same as any other capitalist enterprise. They have a moral responsibility to make drugs available to people who need them at a reasonable cost. If there were a free market for these drugs (as exists in other countries) the prices would plumit. You know it, and I know it. It happened briefly when there was the ability to purchase similar drugs from outside the US. Same drugs, a fraction of the price.

It's sickening at best.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
mizzoucat said:

Haha, thank you, foreign person, for your hilarious impersonation of an "ugly American." This is almost as funny as Borat. :p

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
It is just an iPod folks. Buy it, or don't buy it.

I personally think it is a sweet and goes to a good cause. Yeah there is cancer, but there is so much money there already.

AIDS could become a serious problem if we don't try to do something about. Sure there are other things that could be an issue, this is just one.

One step at a time people.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
peas said:
calling someone asinine based on your opinions of what is a fair amount, and what is lavish, is what's asinine. profits are just that, profits. how it's accomplished is regulated by the likes of the irs and ftc, just to name 2.
2 little brothers of big brother, regulating public and private commodities. strange, isnt it?

and the rest of my rant

here's my point..
if the board was told that the promo and the 5% donation was not claimable, it would not have moved off the table. simple as that.
counter solution:
or, if they felt so strongly about the cause, have the bean counters project sales for a fiscal year, and donate that amount. tieing in the sale of your product to charity is whore-ish. absolutely whore-ish.

as much as you want to convince yourself that red is cool, charity is good, steve is a genius...you will never realize that you are the eskimo, steve is the saleman, and his 10 different flavors of crap on a stick is his ice, that you just bought

there really is no genuine concern from apple or oprah for the african aids epidemic. to conceal sales figures and market shares behind donations is one thing. but to attatch such a grave issue to a novelty like the ipod is just fu#kin rediculous.

you want concern? you want involvement? you want results? then model yourself after jane goodall. there were no photo ops, no lavish incomes, no pop cult press, just a life-long journey of wanting to know, wanting to help, wanting to document, wanting to understand the primates. selling a ginormous amount of ipods and donating 99% of the sales wouldnt accomplish 1% of JG did. and that's the god's honest truth.

what is horribly sad about all of this, minus steve, minus oprah, minus bono?
what's sad is that your consumeristic endorphins need to be stoked more than a baby needs his bottle. enjoy your creature comforts, fools.

what's funny?
if it's not simple, it's not worth doing.
i'm all for simplifying a process, but to say "i'd help if i could just click on it in itunes" is just down right lazy.

Is that foam around your mouth, or shaving cream?

vand0576

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
saint paul, mn
mizzoucat said:

And other nations call Americans selfish!!!

</sarcasm>

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Gasu E. said:
Haha, thank you, foreign person, for your hilarious impersonation of an "ugly American." This is almost as funny as Borat. :p

You mean other countries actually matter other than the United States? I had no clue!

cannonball

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2006
peas said:
as much as you want to convince yourself that red is cool, charity is good, steve is a genius...you will never realize that you are the eskimo, steve is the saleman, and his 10 different flavors of crap on a stick is his ice, that you just bought

there really is no genuine concern from apple or oprah for the african aids epidemic. to conceal sales figures and market shares behind donations is one thing. but to attatch such a grave issue to a novelty like the ipod is just fu#kin rediculous.

you want concern? you want involvement? you want results? then model yourself after jane goodall. there were no photo ops, no lavish incomes, no pop cult press, just a life-long journey of wanting to know, wanting to help, wanting to document, wanting to understand the primates. selling a ginormous amount of ipods and donating 99% of the sales wouldnt accomplish 1% of JG did. and that's the god's honest truth.
Okay. Do you have a computer? An iPod? A TV, DVD player, 2 pairs of shoes, a toothbrush?
I am so glad Apple is doing this. We all know we could just give $200 instead. BUT, we all are also all going to buy an iPod. One of the only ways to get the majority of American spenders to help with world issues is to tie the help to commodity sales.

We need to be informed consumers. Informed about the power that our spending has to influence trends in the world. Stop buying clothes manufatured in sweat shops, and start buying products that support the well being of humans ANYWHERE in the world (I can't believe the ignorance in mizzoucat's post). I don't care if it's Cancer, Aids, domestic abuse, whatever. If it's a product you were going to buy anyway... and it's HELPING.... Why are so many people upset?

This product is enough to convince me to get it instead of an 80GB video.

Please, be informed consumers; there is a lot of power in your disposable income.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
clintob said:
You conveniently glossed over the one major flaw in your argument: pharmaceutical drugs are patented before there is opportunity for competition. There are no alternatives, no competition, and therefore there is no fair market. The market for competition is strangled before it ever has a chance to grow. That's not capitalism... there's no free enterprise there. That's the very reason we have laws against monopolies.

The reason it's allowed to go is because the Federal government has an extremely high financial stake in these companies. The entire system is corrupt in that sense, so to say that these companies charge "fair" prices is lunacy, pure and simple. These companies can charge any price they want, and people will pay it, not because they think it's fair, but because they have no alternative. These companies are NOT the same as any other capitalist enterprise. They have a moral responsibility to make drugs available to people who need them at a reasonable cost. If there were a free market for these drugs (as exists in other countries) the prices would plumit. You know it, and I know it. It happened briefly when there was the ability to purchase similar drugs from outside the US. Same drugs, a fraction of the price.

It's sickening at best.

On your first point: did you read my first post?!!!??? Here's what I said:

"The purpose of patents is to spur innovation by promising companies a 17-year monopoly during which they can potentially make huge profits."

Ummm...how is my above statement "glossing things over" again?!? That's how patents are supposed to work work. They're supposed to create incentive to spend massive amounts of money on research and innovation, in the hopes of reaping the profits in the future. What would be the incentive to spend time and money to invent something, and then have someone immediately steal your idea once you make it public? Innovation would wither without patent laws.

On your second point: I guess we fundamentally disagree here. I don't think Pharmaceuticals have a moral obligation to lower their prices. If that's the case, then we should just nationalize all the drug companies so that the government can set the prices.

In terms of other countries having a "free market" on drugs, I believe you are confusing a couple of different issues. Yes, the US has protectionist policies with regard to GENERIC drugs. These are drugs whose patents have *expired*, so anyone can make them and they are much cheaper. And I agree with you, those restrictions are just protectionist policies and should be removed. I believe protectionist policies are generally harmful, and preventing imports of generics isn't even the most harmful, IMHO (I think farm subsidies are the worst since mostly target poor countries at the expense of enriching mostly industrialized, wealthy agribusiness).

Also, keep in mind not all countries have the same respect for patents and intellectual property. NO foreign company is allowed to sell in the U.S. a product that is violating U.S. patents - whether its a medicine or an electronic gadget. What I have heard other countries do is violate U.S. patents on medicines so that they can distribute them in their own country. I'm more ambivalent about that. They are taking the initiative to produce and distribute medicines to people in their own country that would probably never buy the real product anyway, so it's not as if they're cheating the company out of profits. That's different from saying the patent-holding company has an *obligation* to produce and distribute the medicine around the world to whever needs it at their own expense - which is what you're implying.

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Humans are bread to be argumentative, if everyone had the same point of view none of us would be around right now.

Death is good
Aids is good
Hurricanes are good
Sandstorms are good
Fat is good
Sex is Good
Mold is good
Money sucks
Trickle Down Economics sucks
Olean sucks, actually it blows but that's a another topic

MS sucks, Apple sucks...we are all gonna die in 150 years or less... so, it's time we all quit our jobs and started having sex with our neighbors, giving all our money to the poor and reusing toilet paper to save the trees.

Did that gal actually work for Apple???

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
lmalave said:
On your first point: I already mentioned that patents were a monopoly in the SAME post that you are quoting out of context!!!! Patents give a monopoly for 17 years. It's a deliberate choice by policy makers that the benefit of spurring innovation is worth the cost of granting a temporary monopoly. Everyone with any awareness of both monopoly and patent laws knows that that's what a patent is: a lawful monopoly, granted for 17 years. As I said, if you don't believe in that, then you don't believe in the patent system period.

I understand how patents work. My point here was that that I don't see any benefit to granting patents to something that is designed to be for the common good. Drugs are designed to help ill, sick, or suffering people. That's a scenario that should be monopolized, nor should it be regulated. It should be free market - the more competition exists, the more alternatives exists, the faster prices drop and quality goes up. That's economics 101. People, both in this country and worldwide, could only stand to benefit from a more open Pharmaceutical industry.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the latter point. I'm not suggesting pharms should have to distribute drugs freely to all in need. As you said, they're not charity organizations. I'm suggesting that the prices should be allowed to have a built in profit margin that's reasonable, not outrageous. Reasonable, of course, is a subjective term, but again I go back to the point that pharms profits last year were greater than the entire economies of several countires combined. I don't think it's unfair to say that's a little ostentatious, even for us Americans.

At the end of the day, we could ALL stand to practice a little more restraint, a little more charity, and a little less greed. But that has to start at the top.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
clintob said:
I understand how patents work. My point here was that that I don't see any benefit to granting patents to something that is designed to be for the common good. Drugs are designed to help ill, sick, or suffering people. That's a scenario that should be monopolized, nor should it be regulated. It should be free market - the more competition exists, the more alternatives exists, the faster prices drop and quality goes up. That's economics 101. People, both in this country and worldwide, could only stand to benefit from a more open Pharmaceutical industry.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the latter point. I'm not suggesting pharms should have to distribute drugs freely to all in need. As you said, they're not charity organizations. I'm suggesting that the prices should be allowed to have a built in profit margin that's reasonable, not outrageous. Reasonable, of course, is a subjective term, but again I go back to the point that pharms profits last year were greater than the entire economies of several countires combined. I don't think it's unfair to say that's a little ostentatious, even for us Americans.

At the end of the day, we could ALL stand to practice a little more restraint, a little more charity, and a little less greed. But that has to start at the top.

I completely disagree with your first paragraph. Pharmas need to have an incentive to invest 10 years and $2 billion on developing a drug, which is what it costs to bring a major drug to market nowadays. They need *more* patent protection than almost any other company. What would be the point of investing that much time and money in research, if another company that spent *nothing* developing that drug could just copy it?!!?? Can you answer me that? Because of the nature of the Pharma industry, I would argue they are almost *unique* in their absolute reliance on patent protections. Without those protections, almost the entire industry would wither, along with all the research they are doing.

As to wether they make a "fair" profit with the drugs they have patents on, then I agree, that's subjective. Some companies like retailers make 5% profit, some software companies have made 30% or 40% profit margins. What would a "fair" margin for the Pharma industry be? And how over how many years should they recoup their multi-billion dollar R&D investment? The problem is that any cap you set on profits means you're also capping their incentive to invest. If Pfizer made $6.5 Billion dollars, then they would love to invent *twice* as many drugs so that they could make double that. I mean, what company says "ok, we made enough money - we'll stop here."

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
lmalave said:
I completely disagree with your first paragraph. Pharmas need to have an incentive to invest 10 years and $2 billion on developing a drug, which is what it costs to bring a major drug to market nowadays. They need *more* patent protection than almost any other company. What would be the point of investing that much time and money in research, if another company that spent *nothing* developing that drug could just copy it?!!?? Can you answer me that? Because of the nature of the Pharma industry, I would argue they are almost *unique* in their absolute reliance on patent protections. Without those protections, almost the entire industry would wither, along with all the research they are doing.

As to wether they make a "fair" profit with the drugs they have patents on, then I agree, that's subjective. Some companies like retailers make 5% profit, some software companies have made 30% or 40% profit margins. What would a "fair" margin for the Pharma industry be? And how over how many years should they recoup their multi-billion dollar R&D investment? The problem is that any cap you set on profits means you're also capping their incentive to invest. If Pfizer made $6.5 Billion dollars, then they would love to invent *twice* as many drugs so that they could make double that. I mean, what company says "ok, we made enough money - we'll stop here."

I think part of the problem is that we have to make a distinction between the various sectors of the Pharmaceutical industry. The REAL problem is that most of these billion dollar profit margins that I've spoken about are actually fueled predominantly by non-essential medications. There needs to be a distinction between drugs like Viagra, Propecia, and the medication for "Restless Leg Syndrome", and drugs that are in R&D for Cancer, AIDS, heart disease, and the like.

I'm all for protecting companies who want to make an investment into Cancer and AIDS research, but that's not where the money is and we both know that. There's no advertising market in that so there's no push for it (although there certainly should be). Those R&D projects are mostly privately funded, whereas the R&D for Viagra and Propecia is funded by sponsors and investors who stand to make a buck.

Drawing a line between medication that is designed to cure disease and aid suffering, and medication that is designed for pure and simple profit, would be a perfectly good comprimise here (both to our own discussion and to the problem as a whole). Perhaps allow drug companies the same profit margins they've had all along, but insist than 30 - 40% of that money be re-invested into R&D projects that have no financial backing from ad campaigns. Now THAT is a cause I'd rally for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.