Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
Lame. I don't want an AIDS nano.

If you want to give money to a cause, go ahead. It doesn't have any thing to do with iPods. Unless it's more important to you to show off how you are supporting something, than actually doing it.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
zwida said:
"Charity Is Selfish: The economic case against philanthropy."

http://www.slate.com/id/2151244/

The article is misnamed. It doesn't present a case against philanthropy. It just points out that when you examine the motives of people who give charitably (of money, time, etc.), they are not 100% selfless.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Dr_Maybe said:

If you want to give money to a cause, go ahead. It doesn't have any thing to do with iPods. Unless it's more important to you to show off how you are supporting something, than actually doing it.

Think the lameness is entirely on your part.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
zac4mac said:
For any RevA nano owners thinking of getting a RevB nano, the old lanyard earbuds don't fit the new nano. The plug spacing is different.

Rubbish, Just bought a new Red iPod, and tried earbuds with my girlfriend's Rev A nano. Both earbuds work with either iPod.

Have you actually TRIED this????

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Shagrat said:
Rubbish, Just bought a new Red iPod, and tried earbuds with my girlfriend's Rev A nano. Both earbuds work with either iPod.

Have you actually TRIED this????

He was talking about the lanyard (the one that hangs around your neck and is integrated with the ear phones). Are you talking about the lanyard or just the earbuds? (I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think that stereo mini jacks are going to suddenly change sizes after 2 decades--Apple would never do that, it would be very bad for their rep)

jorgo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2006
Is it worth?

Well, to my opinion, if all this red thing will have 1 buck more given to aids drug developement, then it's more than welcome for me. Maybe they found a way to make some people care... those who otherwise wouldn't. :)

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Dr_Maybe said:

Troll.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Dr_Maybe said:
Unless it's more important to you to show off how you are supporting something, than actually doing it.

ditto, some one needs to inform the masses that plastic bracelets don't cure diseases and that people can't eat awareness. Also a magnet on your SUV doesn't support the troops.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
ditto, some one needs to inform the masses that plastic bracelets don't cure diseases and that people can't eat awareness. Also a magnet on your SUV doesn't support the troops.

No, but the money I paid to buy the wrist-thingy sure helps.

I don't see why so many people are against this. Would you rather they just did nothing?

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Dr_Maybe said:

At least call it an "AIDS Relief" nano. Just the fact you called it the "AIDS" nano shows your lack of compassion or perhaps outright bigotry.

jorgo said:
Well, to my opinion, if all this red thing will have 1 buck more given to aids drug developement, then it's more than welcome for me. Maybe they found a way to make some people care... those who otherwise wouldn't. :)

Jorgo has it right and this is the heart of why celebrities have taken up their pet projects. Anything that can draw positive attention to a circumstance that badly needs it should be welcomed. Sure, Apple may profit from these, but at least they didn't release just another U2 ipod with a price jacked up compared to the specs. This is the same price as the other 4GBs and they're donating $10 of their own profit to the cause. And think about who buys these - young hipsters and others that were probably going to get an ipod anyway that may not otherwise consider giving money to AIDS relief. They can now feel bought in, can join a group of others that ID themselves as supporters and begin to feel as though they are a part of something bigger and more important than themselves alone. It's all about awareness, and hey, if Apple were to sell a million of these, that's $10 million more in medication, treatment and preventative education that otherwise wouldn't exist. Dr_Maybe is the lame one.

Also given the current worldly support and compassion from our "president" it's great to see more progressive coporations picking up the humanitarian efforts our country used to be known for.

cannonball

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2006
This is not anybody's solution to "How do we support world issues?", it's one opportunity to put a little more money into these efforts, money we were all going to spend anyway.

Let's say you do donate $200 to Aids reief, good for you; but you also still want to buy a Nano. Why the heck not this one? It doesn't cost more, and it helps.

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
cannonball said:
This is not anybody's solution to "How do we support world issues?", it's one opportunity to put a little more money into these efforts, money we were all going to spend anyway.

I agree 100% it's not a solution and I'll say that I am in favor of any product that puts money towards any type of aid. This post is only directed to the dollar amount Apple and other Red supporters are giving, not what charities are getting the money, nor what they are using it for, nor the topic of aids.

I have read a couple pages of posts on this thread and it seems a lot of people are very supportive of the donations, while others aren't impressed.

In my opinion, people against the donation do not either like capitalism, or they just do not understand capitalism. If you don't like it, fair enough, but if you're in the states or Canada (as far as I can speak for), it has brought us a very high quality of life. I realize capitalism has lead to exploitation (which is subjective) of a lot of people and it's not perfect (if there are other reasons you have, fine). But I feel some people do not quite understand how economies are built or sustained.

Many many years ago the United States and Canadian governments chose to implement the fundamental ideas of economic freedom and consumer sovereignty. They chose to use a free market system. The reason we have a high standard of living is because firms make profits and create wealth. New wealth is what makes the economy grow.

Where the problem of inequality could have been solved is when powerful economies were developing. Had their governments implemented policies where a wealth transfer occurred to struggling economies we may not be in a greatly unequal world. But should there had been such a policy, stronger economies would have been made worse off (vis-a-vis transfer seeking), and most likely developing countries wouldn't have been all that much better (since they did not have efficient market systems). It's not relevant at this point. Or perhaps economically strong governments could have "educated" other governments, but look where imposing efficient systems on other countries has gotten the world.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not the fault of profit-seeking corporations that the world has developed the way it has. If anyone is to blame it's Government. Firms work in a market structure their governments create. And since governments are made up of people (who don't forget have their own self-interests at hand), these market structures are by no means perfect. Further, a large dependent on a firm's ability to transfer wealth to charitable organizations is the type of industry it's in (perfectly competitive, monopolistic competition, oligopoly, monopoly, etc) and whether there are incentives (e.g. tax which is dictated by government). It is impossible to be able to predict future events like externalities (e.g. pollution/global warming). In hindsight everything is 20/20 though. Furthermore, once a problem is apparent, it takes a long time to fix it because of the lag policies have. My point here is that change has to come through government, and firms will not seek out more expensive ways to save the environment, or transfer a large majority of their wealth (even to help people) if they are just putting themselves in a more vulnerable position to collapse.

Notwithstanding, there is no doubt the basic fundamentals of fairness and equality on a global scale are lacking. But think about it, how long did it take for women, minorities to get equal rights (I realize this is still a large ongoing issue) in North America alone. I understand the frustrations of people wanting the world to be a better place now, but it takes time.

Bear-Max

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2006
JGowan said:
Go buy a Red one and give your blue one to someone else. Certainly someone in your family merits one of these sweet Apple players. I've bought one for a friend, father, sister and wife.

If you're like most people, you keep the box and packing materials and you keep your iPod very protected. You could just wipe the player, fill it with the relative's favorite tunes and tell them you had to open the box to load all the music on it. Of course, give this to someone who hasn't seen you with it.

The holiday's are a-coming. Treat others. Treat yourself.
I wish. I only just got my first job and I'm saving up to learn to drive next year (not to mention the astronomical price of driving insurance when I pass my test) AND I'm saving to put towards university.

£129 gifts are way out of my price range :(

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Chundles said:
No, but the money I paid to buy the wrist-thingy sure helps.

I don't see why so many people are against this. Would you rather they just did nothing?

No, I'd rather people make genuine gestures of charity rather than gestures that are based on image more than genuine concern. It's just too easy to slap on a bracelet, put a sticker on your SUV and show that you care. When really why not skip one night at the pub and give the $40 to the same charity?

I have no problem with people not caring, apathy is a freedom we enjoy in this day and age. I just have a problem with people thinking they can be apathetic with 99.9% off their income, but then advertise the hell out of the .1% they do donate.

But hey, you don't see me donating my pay cheques to charity, but at the same time I don't pretend like I do.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Those red nanos are awesome too bad they aren't available at the Australian Apple shop (yet?) I won't buy one anyway I'm happy with my green

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
peas said:
there really is no genuine concern from apple or oprah for the african aids epidemic. to conceal sales figures and market shares behind donations is one thing. but to attatch such a grave issue to a novelty like the ipod is just fu#kin rediculous.

you want concern? you want involvement? you want results? then model yourself after jane goodall. there were no photo ops, no lavish incomes, no pop cult press, just a life-long journey of wanting to know, wanting to help, wanting to document, wanting to understand the primates. selling a ginormous amount of ipods and donating 99% of the sales wouldnt accomplish 1% of JG did. and that's the god's honest truth.

what is horribly sad about all of this, minus steve, minus oprah, minus bono?
what's sad is that your consumeristic endorphins need to be stoked more than a baby needs his bottle. enjoy your creature comforts, fools.

what's funny?
if it's not simple, it's not worth doing.
i'm all for simplifying a process, but to say "i'd help if i could just click on it in itunes" is just down right lazy.

Get off your high and mighty throne your royal highness, and be happy that something at all is going to charity. And, guess what, selling those red iPods has probably raised more money for charity already than monkey woman has in her whole life.

Konfabulation

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Toronto
mac-er said:
Get off your high and mighty throne your royal highness, and be happy that something at all is going to charity. And, guess what, selling those red iPods has probably raised more money for charity already than monkey woman has in her whole life.
And guess what: Apple is a COMPUTER COMPANY. What else are they supposed to do?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I saw one today at the Apple store, and it does actually look pretty darn good. If I was to buy a nano, I'd get it.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
dornoforpyros said:
No, I'd rather people make genuine gestures of charity rather than gestures that are based on image more than genuine concern. It's just too easy to slap on a bracelet, put a sticker on your SUV and show that you care. When really why not skip one night at the pub and give the $40 to the same charity?

I have no problem with people not caring, apathy is a freedom we enjoy in this day and age. I just have a problem with people thinking they can be apathetic with 99.9% off their income, but then advertise the hell out of the .1% they do donate.

But hey, you don't see me donating my pay cheques to charity, but at the same time I don't pretend like I do.

If they are buying it already why not?

I watched the Oprah show with Bono and this was the point of the whole thing. You are already buying the clothes, the ipods, etc. Why not make the effort to buy the shirt that helps someone?

Not to mention, the GAP clothes are being made in Africa. So not only are those people getting paid to make these clothes but they are also reaping of the sale. On average the GAP clothing gives 50% of the sale to the cause.

I don't go to the Pub so I can't get with you on that one. But there are times when I need to spend $40 on some clothes, since I need the clothes I will go ahead and buy the ones that help someone else.

This may not be as good as giving the $40 straight to charity. But maybe you should watch the show, it doesnt take very much to help someone.

For example, they said that just 10 Red Razr phones gives someone AIDS medicine for a whole year. How many of these phones will be sold? A million maybe?

Thats 100,000 who will get the medicine they need, and more chances to stop the spread of AIDS.

As I said, this isn't the best way to do it of course. But I think it is the most effective. So what are you going to do? Whine about how stupid it is or get off your butt and maybe buy something that helps someone else?

I for one am not going to go out and yell that I helped saved someone, but I will know that I did and I can tell others. Think about how much money we are spending in America, why not do this?

I say Kudos to Bono and all the companies behind this. I will be participating whenever I can, not for brownie points but because the option is there. I hope some of you will do the same. :D

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
suneohair said:
If they are buying it already why not?

That I can't really argue with, I mean yeah, if we can twist capitalism around and make it help than that's a good thing. I just have a problem with the fashionable gestures of kindness that people are caught up on.

I mean yes, if I spend $200 on an iPod and $10 of that goes to charity, that's great because I was going to spend the $200 regardless. But the fact that my "donation" has to be turned into a fashion statement? That's where my issue comes in. Why not donate 5% of ALL iPod nano sales? Or heck, $1 for every iPod sold to aids research regardless of what colour I buy?

My biggest issue is that none of these efforts are a true donation, it's all "ohh wow, I can get a pretty red iPod/braclete/sticker/magnet AND support a worthy cause" not simply "great, some of my dollars are supporting charity"

At the end of the day we're turning charitable support into a fashion statement and not a concern for our fellow man. People only seem willing to open there wallets when they have something to show off the fact that they did so.

steebu

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
FIVE PERCENT?! That's almost nothing!

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed it out, but in the Canadian store it only say "a portion" – not even a number!

ckinyc

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Silence = Death

Bono, Oprah and Steve Job/Apple are celebrities > Media broadcast what celebrities do > Now, the general public are awared > Awareness = Call for action.

The most possible actions are:
1. Do nothing
2. Talk (or bitch) about it (like in this forum) = generating more awareness
3. Buy a Red iPod = generating more awareness when other people see their new iPod
4. Take a more direct or active role (like donating money to them via this link http://www.theglobalfund.org/en/donate/ )

It's all good !

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
steebu said:
FIVE PERCENT?! That's almost nothing!
Whatever. Charities tend to blow most of their money on fund raising, and this amounts to much the same thing. One big difference is that the participating businesses, rather than the charity, are paying for the bulk of that marketing cost.
I'm not sure if anyone has pointed it out, but in the Canadian store it only say "a portion" – not even a number!
I'm guessing that it's the same US$10, which would look goofy in another country's ads, especially with daily exchange rate changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.