Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Sounds like your reasons to return it are perfectly reasonable. This model in particular has compromises, and it also has a lot of benefits that may or may not outweigh the compromises. It isn't a surprise that it's a bit polarizing compared to other models in their lineup.

This. That's a pretty fair review and assessment of one's needs and whether the new machine can meet them, or if the cost vs value is good enough for OP.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
So, Apple expects a customer to buy a pig in a poke because there is always someone willing to apologize and justify and berate a customer who is not happy with DOA.

Check the share price lately?

yea, it's been nothing but to the east. The biggest change in about a month has been from 124->128 and now back down to 124. The fluctuations are nominal, but have constantly canceled each other out.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
AAPL closed at $124.75 yesterday. Feb. 23 AAPL closed at 133.00.

yea the initial quarterly ER's went down. what are you getting at?

if your insinuating that the share price of AAPL is in of any danger or actually believe it will not be back in the 130's or even 140's you are mistaking.

Your basing your mindset on less than 2 months of performance? Even greenhorns like myself know to atleast look at the 52 week report.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
yea, it's been nothing but to the east. The biggest change in about a month has been from 124->128 and now back down to 124. The fluctuations are nominal, but have constantly canceled each other out.

You do realize the stock split and was at $94 a year ago, representing a 30% 1 year return. The entire NYSE average is about 5%. So Apple outperformed the market's average by 600%.

What about that says they're struggling?

Sorry if you bought it at $100 expecting to turn it into $500 in 3 months, but that's not the way the market works.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
You do realize the stock split and was at $94 a year ago, representing a 30% 1 year return. The entire NYSE average is about 5%. So Apple outperformed the market's average by 600%.

What about that says they're struggling?

Sorry if you bought it at $100 expecting to turn it into $500 in 3 months, but that's not the way the market works.

why the hell are you quoting me, read a little closer into my responses before you run your lips.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
yea the initial quarterly ER's went down. what are you getting at?

if your insinuating that the share price of AAPL is in of any danger or actually believe it will not be back in the 130's or even 140's you are mistaking.

Your basing your mindset on less than 2 months of performance? Even greenhorns like myself know to atleast look at the 52 week report.

Just think what the share price could have been if Apple actually had new products to put in a customer's hand ;)

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
You also have to consider SSD and RAM. The base MBAs ship with 4GB /128GB. Bump them up to 8/256 and pricing becomes comparable, even leaving aside the display. Personally, I think 128GB is a little tight but it depends on your needs. I expect that there will be a 4/128 rMB version in the future with the price point adjusted accordingly.

Possibly but it could go the other way, or when "Apple decides". The MBA base has had 4GB RAM for two years now right? Maybe even 3. Sooner or later they will have to bump to 8GB . Within the next year or two?

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Just think what the share price could have been if Apple actually had new products to put in a customer's hand ;)

Really? because Im pretty sure the Watch sold out on pre-orders.

if your basing the market off of already released products you've missed the boat.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Great practical review! Better than most of the more official reviews, where hey just compare meaningless specs.

Its a newer, more expensive computer. Why would anybody expect otherwise?
Newer and more expensive does not equal upgrade.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Really? because Im pretty sure the Watch sold out on pre-orders.

if your basing the market off of already released products you've missed the boat.

Supply chain issues?

This has been fun but I have to go and do some productive things now. Have a good Saturday!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
why the hell are you quoting me, read a little closer into my responses before you run your lips.

You can stop with the commands, I don't take orders from you.

You stated the fluctuations have cancelled them out. What, in the last week? Because certainly the stock isn't at $94, which is where it would be if "the fluctuations had cancelled themselves out".

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
You can stop with the commands, I don't take orders from you.

You stated the fluctuations have cancelled them out. What, in the last week? Because certainly the stock isn't at $94, which is where it would be if "the fluctuations had cancelled themselves out".

i'm not going down this road with you.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Possibly but it could go the other way, or when "Apple decides". The MBA base has had 4GB RAM for two years now right? Maybe even 3. Sooner or later they will have to bump to 8GB . Within the next year or two?

I don't know if that's really necessary. I read all the hate threads about how Macs need 8 or even 16 GB of RAM and how OS X has terrible memory management. This stuff is just not true. I don't currently own any machines with 4GB of memory but i have as recently as about a month ago and for most purposes OS X runs great on 4GB. The 128GB storage issue actually seems less defensible to me, like the 16GB iPhones. The OS and a few key apps take up an awful lot of that space...I think it's borderline irresponsible to sell those low-storage machines, but that's just a personal opinion. :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't know if that's really necessary. I read all the hate threads about how Macs need 8 or even 16 GB of RAM and how OS X has terrible memory management. This stuff is just not true. I don't currently own any machines with 4GB of memory but i have as recently as about a month ago and for most purposes OS X runs great on 4GB. The 128GB storage issue actually seems less defensible to me, like the 16GB iPhones. The OS and a few key apps take up an awful lot of that space...I think it's borderline irresponsible to sell those low-storage machines, but that's just a personal opinion. :)

Yeah I think these claims are so funny, especially considering Macbook Air, Apple's most selling line, comes with 4GB standard, even on the brand new 2015 version.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Any chance of a video comparison? I'd really like to see the difference between the rMB and rMBP with regard to UI lag, cos if it's as bad as you say, that might be a deal breaker for me...

I took it back this morning =/

Bestbuy shipped me two though, and the other one will be here Wednesday. If there are not some videos by then, I will open it up and do some side by side videos.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Any chance of a video comparison? I'd really like to see the difference between the rMB and rMBP with regard to UI lag, cos if it's as bad as you say, that might be a deal breaker for me...

There is no real lag, its people being overdramatic about something very minor as usual. The only lag I have seen is switching from full screen back to a window while playing a video and even then, its like a split second. If a split second lag doing a few things really bothers you so much you can't even use a computer, you better only be buying quad core machines with at least 16GB of RAM. Hope you got at least $2500 to spend.

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
There is no real lag, its people being overdramatic about something very minor as usual. The only lag I have seen is switching from full screen back to a window while playing a video and even then, its like a split second. If a split second lag doing a few things really bothers you so much you can't even use a computer, you better only be buying quad core machines with at least 16GB of RAM. Hope you got at least $2500 to spend.

Really? I hate to harp on this point, but my 2012 Macbook AIR does just fine in this respect!
I should also point out, it's not just full screen changes, there are other UI lags as well.. I even noticed TYPING lags... words would sometimes not show up without delay! Super annoying.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you know your not going to keep it, RETURN IT without opening it :mad::mad:

why? It would help a customer out. They would get a flawless deal on an open box :)

----------

Really? I hate to harp on this point, but my 2012 Macbook AIR does just fine in this respect!
I should also point out, it's not just full screen changes, there are other UI lags as well.. I even noticed TYPING lags... words would sometimes not show up without delay! Super annoying.

Agreed. I just think some people are more sensitive to it than others. I am very sensitive to the UI lag.

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Agreed. I just think some people are more sensitive to it than others. I am very sensitive to the UI lag.

I'm thinking there may be some low power management tricks employed, when the user is idle, and so inputs can cause delayed responses when peripherals.. CPU... wakes up. Kudos for the aggressive power management to get the TDP low enough to do a fanless product! But, this is the trade-off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.