Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
Apple Service Providers will be able to get their hands on a 20 pack of VHB strips for each model. I'm sure you will find them available online at some point. Every time the display comes out, you must replace the VHB according to a third party Apple tech that I'm friends with. This means that the old VHB must be removed from both the display itself and the rear housing.

Who's to say that one hasn't already.....

Obviously you know which VHB is used for the iMac. Would you be willing to share that info here?

Last edited:

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Its an icy dock 2.5in to 3.5in SSD and SATA Hard Drive Converter. I used it on my mac pro to install an ssd.

Please pardon my possibly naïve question.
Considering that the height of Samsung 840 Pro SSDs is only 7 mm and the height of 7200.14 Seagate drive is 26 mm, and that the required power for SSD is a 100 times less than HD, could someone make an “icy dock”-style adapter that will take three (or even only two) SSDs and a little RAID0 controller and present it to an iMac as a single SATA III unit? That would be half the price plus triple the performance of Apple’s SSD-only solution.
I couldn’t find such an adapter. What am I missing?
Oh, and thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your experience!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Please pardon my possibly naïve question.
Considering that the height of Samsung 840 Pro SSDs is only 7 mm and the height of 7200.14 Seagate drive is 26 mm, and that the required power for SSD is a 100 times less than HD, could someone make an “icy dock”-style adapter that will take three (or even only two) SSDs and a little RAID0 controller and present it to an iMac as a single SATA III unit? That would be half the price plus triple the performance of Apple’s SSD-only solution.
I couldn’t find such an adapter. What am I missing?
Oh, and thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your experience!

You would be able to get 2 or 3 time the capacity of a single SSD with RAID-0 striping or JBOD combination, but in RAID-0 they will all be running through a single SATA-III port which will saturate and limit the speed advantage.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
You would be able to get 2 or 3 time the capacity of a single SSD with RAID-0 striping or JBOD combination, but in RAID-0 they will all be running through a single SATA-III port which will saturate and limit the speed advantage.

I see... So - not three, but two? Seeing speed test results around 400MB/s for a single SSD, the SATA's limit of 6Gb/s is very close to double that.
But you won't have issues with the lack of SATA ports.

mattiasdk

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Finally I'm installing Mac OS X on my 27" after putting in a Samsung 840 Pro and an extra 2x8GB Kingston ram.

The disassembly went quite well, nothing mayor to report of. The small display connector was a bit tricky though - remember to lift the small lever (with a tab on it) before removing the cable, the power source is easy enough. Once in, the old tape removes easily from the iMac and the display and I put something else on. It's not perfect right now and I'll will try something else from my local hardware store soon, because the selection of 3M products are very limited in Denmark apparently. Looking forward to the "real" Apple tape - no doubt that this is totally custom, because there are quite a few "bumbs and turns" on the inside of the iMac, which makes it impossible to copy perfectly - they will know that you've been inside....

Had some difficulties booting up, because the iMac believed that my USB thumb drive (with the ML installer on it), was the primary boot drive. I researched the internet, and found out that this is because of the missing Recovery partition on the new SSD, which is normally located on the standard drive. Using the Recovery Tool (CMD + R on startup), you will be able to download ML from Apple and install it on the new SSD drive directly (remember to format / build a partition on the new SSD using Disk Utility in the Recovery state first) - this took a while to find out, but glad that it didn't mean that something had gone bad.

I will do some tests of the standard 1TB Seagate drive and the new Samsung 840 Pro tomorrow

Now: time to sleep! :rolleyes:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I just tried my crucial M4 512GB and my imac doesn't want to know.

db85e30df183f5036475ae48331fd626.jpg

It worked on my 2009 imac and it even worked as a bootable OS drive on the 2012 via a USB enclosure, but when it's plugged into sata, no go. I can't even start in internet recovery as long as the drive is plugged in. I can hold option to get to the boot menu, but the next screen is the error icon, even if I select an external drive.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I did exactly that using disk utility. Once this was done, I could boot from the ssd connected via a USB enclosure so I assumed it was good to go.

The mac is still working if I switch back to the stock hdd.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

It worked on my 2009 imac and it even worked as a bootable OS drive on the 2012 via a USB enclosure, but when it's plugged into sata, no go. I can't even start in internet recovery as long as the drive is plugged in. I can hold option to get to the boot menu, but the next screen is the error icon, even if I select an external drive.

Any suggestions?

So you already had a bootable version of the new Mountain lion that comes with the 2012 imac on the Crucial? I say this because the old version of mountain lion will not boot on the 2012 iMac and it gives you that exact error icon. Perhaps try using terminal from the recovery partition (Hold down (CMD +R ) to format the drive then reinstall ML from there.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Funny you should say that, as I initially tried the install from the 2009 imac (via USB) and discovered it wouldn't work.

But, yes I cloned an image of ML that was pre-installed on my 2012 imac.

I can't boot in recovery. The imac won't boot from any other source either as long as the drive is connected internally.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Funny you should say that, as I initially tried the install from the 2009 imac (via USB) and discovered it wouldn't work.

But, yes I cloned an image of ML that was pre-installed on my 2012 imac.

I can't boot in recovery. The imac won't boot from any other source either as long as the drive is connected internally.

Sounds like a compatibility issue with the Crucial then, have you got a Samsung SSD laying around lol?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Any suggestions?

Can't give you any advice about the Crucial disk, but I LOVE the pegs holding your screen to the body. :D

----------

And the wait continues for some OEM-like tape!

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I haven't been able to post for a while as I have a newborn baby taking up time.

But I'm still wondering if I can get it to work if I can somehow get ML to format it. I have tried booting into Internet recovery with no drive installed and then hot-swapped it in once loaded. Bit naughty, but no harm was done. Still didn't work though. :(

---

I wondered how the pegs would go down, so I'm glad you two approve. :D The sight of a brand-new-and-now-not-working imac with pegs holding it together might horrify others.

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
On another note. The seagate 1TB HDD in this imac is excellent. I can barely hear it and its really fast (peaks about 195MB/s). I wasn't keen on the fusion drive due to the expected noise of constant HDD management, but with this drive, I kinda wish I went for it now. It would have saved me a lot of hassle for starters.

mattiasdk

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
On another note. The seagate 1TB HDD in this imac is excellent. I can barely hear it and its really fast (peaks about 195MB/s). I wasn't keen on the fusion drive due to the expected noise of constant HDD management, but with this drive, I kinda wish I went for it now. It would have saved me a lot of hassle for starters.

Really, you think that it is quiet? It's just as noisy in idle as my old WD in the 2009 iMac I think, no doubt that it is possible to hear the spinning plates at all times. Yes, it's quiet at read compared to the old iMacs, bot totally audiable in a quiet room. Big difference when I switched to the SSD yesterday...

But yes, I got around 190/200MB/s on my drive too - quite fast...

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I have the 1TB Seagate. Very very silent this computer is a pleasure to be near. When I install the blade SSD it will be a Fusion drive and even faster. I will wait to know more about the tape though.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
If it's okay I may take you up on that after Christmas if you still have some.

I think I'll have to forget the crucial and buy something else and I'll have to wait until after Christmas.

Really, you think that it is quiet? It's just as noisy in idle as my old WD in the 2009 iMac I think, no doubt that it is possible to hear the spinning plates at all times. Yes, it's quiet at read compared to the old iMacs, bot totally audiable in a quiet room. Big difference when I switched to the SSD yesterday...

But yes, I got around 190/200MB/s on my drive too - quite fast...

Yeah, on every imac I've had, the drive's grinding noise has been quite clear and I've usually been able to hear a faint-to-medium whirring when not in use. This one, I can honestly barely even hear it at all, even when in operation. Do you have the seagate?

I'm really keen on this new imac. Even when you take away the main features (thinness, gpu, fusion drive option, etc) everything else has been refined. The cooling system, the screen glass and calibration, the sound dampening hdd enclosure. They might not be huge leaps, but they're very carefully thought out and very effective refinements on an already excellent design. Very nice computer this.

Last edited:

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
I see... So - not three, but two? Seeing speed test results around 400MB/s for a single SSD, the SATA's limit of 6Gb/s is very close to double that.
But you won't have issues with the lack of SATA ports.

I have read this thread more thoroughly, and see that R.OG stated that there is only ONE SATA connector on the logic board. That renders any discussion about full-blown 2-SSD RAID0 pointless.
However, I still maintain that two of the 840 Pro 256GB SSDs, compared to one 840 Pro 512 GB SSD may provide the following benefits:
1. Price – about $60 less.
2. Speed – about double in real-life applications and 50% gain in the maximum (clipped by SATA) sequential read tests.
So the question still is – is there such RAID controller exposing only a regular SATA connector to the outside world?

mattiasdk

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
As promised, some tests with my Seagate 1TB vs. Samsung 840 Pro - CRAZY DIFFERENCE! :D Def. worth the hassle!

Seagate 1TB:
image-06F9_50D4DB4E.jpg

Samsung 840 Pro:
image-3225_50D4DB4E.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.