Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesakano

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Not sure as the name is cut into at least 4 slices....it is not 3M though.

As time goes on with the discussion of the infamous tape, I am now starting to think that the tape is uniquely made in a chinese factory as per Apples specification, which obviously would be then supplied to the chinese factory of imac manufacture (or american assembly place)

For example:
http://www.made-in-china.com/produc...le+sided+foam+tape&comProvince=nolimit&code=0

I am sure that a tape kit (like the ipad) will be available sooner or later which will be an actual kit taking into account the bends at the edges and the narrowing at the camera. This could be used by the tinkerer to be confident that their warranty is intact as Apple would not be able to tell if the imac has been opened.

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
Looks like someone posted the service instructions on pastebin regarding replacing vhb strips on the 21". Link

According to this source a replacement VHB strips kit 076-1422 (10-pack) is used. Each VHB strip has an ID number (on the pull tab) and part number (946-xxxx) printed on the strip.

Description - ID Number - Part Number
Top left - 01 - 946-4469
Top right - 02 - 946-4471
Right side - 03 - 946-4472
Bottom - 04 - 946-4468
Left side - 05 - 946-4470

Last edited:

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Looks like someone posted the service instructions on pastebin regarding replacing vhb strips on the 21". Link

According to this source a replacement VHB strips kit 076-1422 (10-pack) is used. Each VHB strip has an ID number (on the pull tab) and part number (946-xxxx) printed on the strip.

Description - ID Number - Part Number
Top left - 01 - 946-4469
Top right - 02 - 946-4471
Right side - 03 - 946-4472
Bottom - 04 - 946-4468
Left side - 05 - 946-4470

Great find, hopefully we'll get the part numbers for the 27" soon. I'm sure http://applecomponents.com/ will eventually carry the tape.

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I'll be getting a 256GB rmbp ssd after Christmas so I'll be using that instead of my crucial M4.

I'm curious about the fusion drive abilities. If I was to break the link and split the ssd into 2 partitions (for bootcamp), can I then re-link one partition into fusion?

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Hi R.OG, is your iMac still performing flawlessly with the upgrades applied?

Yeah, the imac looks and performs like a new computer. I recently swapped out the 128GB blade SSD with a 255GB.

----------

I'll be getting a 256GB rmbp ssd after Christmas so I'll be using that instead of my crucial M4.

I'm curious about the fusion drive abilities. If I was to break the link and split the ssd into 2 partitions (for bootcamp), can I then re-link one partition into fusion?

You can with the right terminal command.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
The crucial works! :)

Seeing as this 2012 imac seems more fussy than past models, I created a USB recovery drive from the new imac (os x 8.2), and used this on a 2009 imac with my ssd installed internally (I didn't trust GUID partitioning over USB after last time). I also updated the SSD's firmware to the latest release while I had the opportunity to boot from CD on the old imac. I wiped all partitions, checking that the old 8.0 recovery partition was properly removed via diskutil.

Finally I opened both macs again and swapped the M4 back in the 2012, inserting my recovery USB drive. It accepted the drive this time and booted. It's now installing OS X over the internet, which will take 6 hours on my connection.

I'm not sure exactly what broke it before - the older firmware, or partitioning using 8.0, or partitioning over USB, or cloning over USB, but at least it works now.

I'm not sure how to arrange the drives when the rMbp 256GB Samsung arrives now - maybe use it in addition to my 512GBM4 as a dedicated windows ssd? Or maybe swap the M4 back out and create a fusion drive - as I do like the stock seagate hdd.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
The crucial works! :)

Seeing as this 2012 imac seems more fussy than past models, I created a USB recovery drive from the new imac (os x 8.2), and used this on a 2009 imac with my ssd installed internally (I didn't trust GUID partitioning over USB after last time). I also updated the SSD's firmware to the latest release while I had the opportunity to boot from CD on the old imac. I wiped all partitions, checking that the old 8.0 recovery partition was properly removed via diskutil.

Finally I opened both macs again and swapped the M4 back in the 2012, inserting my recovery USB drive. It accepted the drive this time and booted. It's now installing OS X over the internet, which will take 6 hours on my connection.

I'm not sure exactly what broke it before - the older firmware, or partitioning using 8.0, or partitioning over USB, or cloning over USB, but at least it works now.

I'm not sure how to arrange the drives when the rMbp 256GB Samsung arrives now - maybe use it in addition to my 512GBM4 as a dedicated windows ssd? Or maybe swap the M4 back out and create a fusion drive - as I do like the stock seagate hdd.

Glad to see you got it working, internet recovery is a real pain. You can download the 2012 imac version of 10.8.2 using these instructions, this way you can create a usb install stick. If your Recovery partition is missing use CCC to recreate it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Glad to see you got it working, internet recovery is a real pain. You can download the 2012 imac version of 10.8.2 using these instructions, this way you can create a usb install stick. If your Recovery partition is missing use CCC to recreate it.
Haha i used that trick when i got my 2011 MBA and i totally forgot abut it. I just ripped out the usb cord from my external HDD when the download had just finished. I will have to make one for the iMac now.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Would like to know that aswell, is GPU upgradeable?

Judt a curiosity because i know its impossible to upgrade.Maybe it is usefull in case it goes broken and i'm already out of warranty.

----------

It's obvious from from R.OG's pictures all throughout this thread that the GPU in the 27" iMac is mounted on the logic board, not on an MXM card.

That is why i asked for,it was what i thought at first sight.

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I Just received my new 27" iMac, I was wondering if I decide to add a Blade SSD to my where do I buy it? Also will it void my warranty ? since I have applecare and where do u buy the tape to seal it back up ?

Thanks to everyone in the thread !

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I Just received my new 27" iMac, I was wondering if I decide to add a Blade SSD to my where do I buy it? Also will it void my warranty ? since I have applecare and where do u buy the tape to seal it back up ?

The blade SSD is the same as the Retina MacBook Pro.

For the tape, we don't know which Apple uses yet.

Warranty: I don't expect it to be affected if you are very careful and don't damage anything, but...

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

I would stick to a Thunderbolt SSD, as you paid extra, and would run the risk of voiding your warranty and Applecare if you open the machine. There is always the chance that you could pull the blade, and get everything back exactly as you got it, but it would be a risk. I wouldn't have paid for the Applecare if you were planning to rip it open.

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I was looking at the thunderbolt SSD but the cost is crazy high

where can I get the Blade SSD ? i only want 128Gig

I appreciate everyones reply

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Where can I get some tape so I can seal my unit back up ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.