Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife just downloaded it on her PowerBook with Tiger she thinks that its responding a little better.

I have Panther so hope that it will help with crashes.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Doesn't really seem to load things faster, but IMO it does feel/seems like it's scrolling pages WAY faster than before!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
numediaman said:
I'm so glad there so many people eager to try and be the first to download new software. Maybe a year from now I'll consider moving to Tiger (I only moved to OSX a little over a year ago). By the time I adopt the "newest" Mac OS software it is pretty much bullet proof. As a result, I've never had Safari crash, or OSX. In fact, the only time I've ever had an issue with the OS was when I accidently opened up Internet Explorer -- cripes, I'll never do that again!

Guys, keep downloading those updates and keep reporting back on Macrumors, thanks.
Your computer may not crash, but you don't get to play with the new toys either. Its a trade off. I'd rather have the added productivity that Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator, Expose, new versions of iLife bring than be able to brag about my computer never crashing. I like a stable comptuer as much as the next guy, but restarting once a month or so is not that big a deal.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
ipacmm said:
Just finished downloading, so far everything is working fine.

Edmonds did not work correctly. Other sites had same problems. Screen would require a refresh to show.

On the sites I design, there were some major problems that 1.3 and 2.0 broke. If you don't create sites it won't make much sense. But as a background image for each section of my sites, I call on an image, menuimage.jpg. Every page calls on that image, however the image changes when you're in different sections, because you're in a different directory, and I have a different file there. It's a basic template kinda way of making pages.

Well, for some reason it quit working in 1.3. Whatever background image it first loaded would always be loaded if the file name was the same. Directory path be damned. IE and Firefox were fine. It wasn't a huge ordeal since probably only 1% of computer users out there are using Safari if that. But I do, and my main client does, so it was annoying.

So it seems like some errors were due to refreshing in some way, like my files, and whole pages like at edmonds.

And these problems have existed for at minimum 6 months. Very weak.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
The image of doom will not crash anymore. Some people say it is still crashing their browser, but I'm willing to bet they haven't even emptied their cache!

It's a broken image. It shouldn't have crashed Safari, but it was being downloaded incorrectly. If it's still in your cache, and it was interpreted or downloaded incorrectly, then it's still going to crash the system. The fix must be some sort of download interpretation.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
bretm said:
The image of doom will not crash anymore. Some people say it is still crashing their browser, but I'm willing to bet they haven't even emptied their cache!

It's a broken image. It shouldn't have crashed Safari, but it was being downloaded incorrectly. If it's still in your cache, and it was interpreted or downloaded incorrectly, then it's still going to crash the system. The fix must be some sort of download interpretation.

Yep, you're right. It doesn't crash anymore. It used to before for me but now it's all good. Nice. :)

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Rantipole said:
Could someone explain to me why it is NOT lame that OS10.3 users will not get a Safari 2? :confused:

10.3 users get the old Safari, the one without the flashy new component that makes it crash on the IoD ;)

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Still wondering when they will fully support Ajax. Forums such as VB, and Invision Power Board use the Ajax style interface and it makes posting for members alot easier. Running a Mac-Based forum myself, it is rather fustrating that every browser, other then the one bundled with OSX supports such extensions. Safari is a great browser, but they need to offer more flexability and the ability to alter and add mods such as FireFox offers mac and windows users alike.

I will continue to use safari.

Regards,

.Joel

Applespider

macrumors G4
Rantipole said:
Could someone explain to me why it is NOT lame that OS10.3 users will not get a Safari 2? :confused:

Because presumably there is some underlying code in Safari 2 that is Tiger specific. And as others have said, some of Safari 2's features (Private Browsing and RSS feeds) are incentives for people to upgrade to Tiger.

The actual Webkit rendering code (the most important part of any browser) is still updated for Panther since 1.3 runs more or less in parallel to 2.0. The speed and compatibility gain that 1.3 gave over 1.2 was a big one - and Panther users are benefiting from it. The jump from Panther 1.3 to Tiger 2.0 was nowhere near as large as that one and was probably more to do with the general system performance increase than anything else.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, so im still waiting for it to appear in software update...

Anyone know why sometimes it takes ages for UK updates to come through?

I know i can download it seperately, but preffer to wait and do it through software update...

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
I'd love to see Apple finally support contenteditable...they claim to support it but nobody has been able to show that it works yet.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
deadfrog said:
ok, so im still waiting for it to appear in software update...

Anyone know why sometimes it takes ages for UK updates to come through?

I know i can download it seperately, but preffer to wait and do it through software update...
As far as I'm aware the updates all use the same severs,certainly the Safari update was available here in London as soon as this thread started in fact I got the iPhoto update several hours before it was mentioned here(5.01)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
YS2003 said:
I just downloaded the Safari 2.0.1 via Software Update. I don't know why some forum members are having problems with this update. My Safari is performing well (uneventful update). Once I am back home (I'm travelling this week), I will update my other 2 PBs (one running Panther and the other running Tiger 10.4.2 like my 12" PB I am using now).
I take back this post of mine. I just noticed when I am surfing MSN.com's News sites, Safari 2.0.1 showed horizontal scroll bar in the middle of the web site even though it should not be there. This is very strange. I then scroll up and down and this horizontal scroll bar then disappears. I guess this is one of the bugs which came with 2.0.1 update. Anyone having the same type of gliches?

DStaal

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
rendezvouscp said:
Some of the CSS3 border-radius draft? I'd say most of the CSS3 backgrounds and borders draft, not just that specific feature.

Curious, why do you want background images to be reloaded on every page? Isn't it generally a good thing that they don't get reloaded?
-Chase

Sounds like he's a web devloper. ;) He noticed the first feature, specifically, because he was wanting to use it.

As for the secound... Do you have any idea how annoying it is to change the image file, to fix some bug, and then have to go through all kinds of contortions to see if the fix worked because you can't get the browser to reload it?

Yes, in general it is a good idea to pull from cache. However, when I hit reload, it is very helpful to have the browser actually reload everything.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
A modest update, at best.

Safari still leaks memory in Tiger like the day is long.

I hope 10.4.3 is the "we're really, really sorry about Tiger so far, and we're making good on the money you spent" release.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
BWhaler said:
I hope 10.4.3 is the "we're really, really sorry about Tiger so far, and we're making good on the money you spent" release.
What exactly does Apple have to be sorry for?

Granted I am a recent switcher, I am very content with Tiger and feel the money I spent on it was invested quite well.. Windows has never been able to become such an important work companion in 6 years as Tiger has become in 3 months...

Applespider

macrumors G4
ohcrap said:
What exactly does Apple have to be sorry for?

Granted I am a recent switcher, I am very content with Tiger and feel the money I spent on it was invested quite well..

Hang around a little longer, or read through some old posts, and you'll discover that BWhaler's Tiger system appears to have every bug known, or unknown, to Apple in it without any apparent reasonable explanation as to why he's been so cursed.

You'll also discover that it particularly vexes him when more recent members tell him that their system is working just fine... ;)

Tokyo

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
I've noticed some improvements:

1. I have a few auto-click bookmark folder with my favorites, between 10 and 14 sites that will open simultaneously upon a single click to the Bookmarks Bar. Before, they would (a) take a long time to load, and (b) as long as any one of them was loading, any page viewed would get the spinning beachball until the last page finished loading. After the update, the pages now load noticably faster, and once a certain page is finished, it is possible to scroll up and down and click on a link without the spinning beachball, even though one or more other pages in tabs are loading. In such a case, performance is slower, but the beachball no longer stops you dead.

2. In a similar situation as (1) above, when I had many tabs open, some of them would auto-update every x number of minutes, like Google News. When that happened, even if I was using a different window, I would again be beachballed. Now that interference is substantially reduced, though it does still happen some.

3. On some sites, especially ones like the New York Times, any attempt to select text, especially multiple-clicks on text, would result in wait times of up to 5 seconds per click--for example, if I double-clicked a word, I would have to wait for about ten seconds before the screen unfroze. No spinning beachball, but I simply couldn't do anything--scroll, switch tabs, etc. With the new version, that wait time on the same sites has been reduced to less than a second per click. Again, it still happens, but much faster.

A bug that still exists, aside from the ones listed above, is the first-window-popup-after-unhide bug. If you open more than one window in Safari, and are looking at a window other than the first when you hide the app, then unhide it, the first window pops up--even though any action you attempt will affect the window you were looking at when you hid Safari, despite that window being hidden behind the first window.

So, as I see it, there are some fixes, but some annoying bugs still persist. I was almost ready to switch back to Mozilla/Firefox when this update came in. I'll probably stay with Safari now, but not for certain--I'll have to see how it performs in the long run, if the fixes degrade over time, or if the 'fixes' I noted are not fixes but rather simply performace bumps due to the freshness of the version. I'm still annoyed by the bugs, but this version seems more bearable, while allowing me to enjoy the features Safari offers.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Applespider said:
Hang around a little longer, or read through some old posts, and you'll discover that BWhaler's Tiger system appears to have every bug known, or unknown, to Apple in it without any apparent reasonable explanation as to why he's been so cursed.

You'll also discover that it particularly vexes him when more recent members tell him that their system is working just fine... ;)
I see.. you'll be in my prayers tonight, BWhaler.. lol :D

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
rendezvouscp said:
Curious, why do you want background images to be reloaded on every page? Isn't it generally a good thing that they don't get reloaded?
-Chase

Well sometimes you can use, let's say, a random background image which, when not reloaded properly, looses all of it utility...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
jim. said:
I do believe that the nightly Webkit builds that you are downloading are statically linked within the nightly safari build. Naturally, since no other apps that are running would depend on these libs, no reboot should be required.Apple apparently has some background processes that depend on the system Webkit, a reboot is required to be sure that they all restart and begin using the updated libs. Theoretically, a well formed SIGHUP or two should be able to be sent to some of the processes to have them restart in real time.

That's exactly it. Now go look at some of the help requests through this board, and think about if you really want to explain to them how to do a 'sudo kill -HUP xxx' on a dependency chain.

Now as for the previous poster, I think its safe to assume that if you are building nightlies you are capable of doing a sighup.

Apple has done this right -- Software Update takes the conservative approach that even my grandmother could use.

For those of you who are so concerned about uptime (or are running production servers and need the uptime) Apple has provided you with an alternative -- just install the updates from the command line ('sudo softwareupdate -i blahblahblah') and sighup the necessary processes.

There best of both worlds, now people can stop complaining. Not that they will :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.