Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Meanwhile, Down Under:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...duce-customers-court-told-20110929-1kyl5.html

Apple fears:

1. That the Galaxy is "going to just come in and take away iPad 2 sales so quickly"
2. That "customers may be permanently "seduced" away from Apple's iOS platform"
3. That allowing the Galaxy into the country will be "to the detriment of Apple and to the benefit of Samsung"
4. Apple is afraid potential customers will "then be Android people and the investment in the apps that they make to purchase on their Galaxy Tab will be something they can't use on an Apple product"

wtf?
Apple is just afraid of competition?

I'm always behind a company securing their rights to IP, but the reasons put forward by Apple in court (i.e what actually matters, not the commentary that is discussed on forums) are not about IP infringement, but about "they will hurt our business", and it seems, even if the device is eventually banned.
I compleltely agree with "if you steal it, then you pay", but it seems that argument took a back seat to Apple's claims in court today.

Take a leaf out of Microsoft's book (http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/microsoft-hops-into-bed-with-samsung-20110929-1kyb1.html), Apple, and TALK to people. Samsung have just proved they will negotiate if you're not a freaking BULLY.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Apple depends on the backbone of Asians to make their stuff. Look at the back of your iPhone and you will see "Assembled in China." Everything from Samsung providing the chip, LG manufacturing the "Retina Display", and Sony likely offering the camera module over OmniVision in the next iPhone. The design and software comes from Apple. That gets all the credit. But most of the dirty work of manufacturing an iDevice comes from the blood, sweat, and tears of Asian labor.

Samsung has never been a great software company. I can see why Apple sued them from copying. But when it comes to better hardware specs on a phone, I feel Samsung surpassed Apple six months ago and will continue to widen the gap while Apple falls on lawsuits from the look of a 4-year old GUI. Samsung already has a 5.3-inch screen phone with stylus for a capacitive screen as well as flexible OLED. I will be interested if Samsung can make Tizen (aka MeeGo) go beyond what iOS can do. Never underestimate the Koreans in tech or in nuclear warfare.

I predict the next iPhone will be pretty much on par with the Galaxy S II. The initial excitement is just from the waiting, the teases, and wanting to get something new to camp out for it. People do need to upgrade. Apple fans will be rejoicing they will have new features that has been available on other platforms and the JB dev community for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.