Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
You're looking at it the wrong way...

It's not the rounded corners on the rectangle, it's the general look and feel of iOS that samsung is really copying. Look at the home screens on the galaxy phone. Put it beside an image of the iPhone 3G... and look. The icons are shaped the same, and even laid out the same way.

Samsung is trying to steal Apple's user interface and general look & Feel.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
This has to do with the ongoing litigation re Samsung's ripping off Apple's designs (because that's business as usual at Samsung), then Apple's response to it (which has humiliated Samsung), and now this latest response from Samsung (where they suddenly *remembered* having these "other" wireless patents) because they are apparently done being "passive."

This is the way criminal organizations like Samsung operate. They get caught ripping off competitors, then once they're losing, they pull out straw-man patents - red-herrings - in an attempt to fight back.

Samsung is a tech-mafia.
Then, discard your iDevices because it contains Samsung parts which is a criminal organisation, as described in your rhetoric.

And, how is Samsung screwed if they still have to supply other OEMs with parts, and they are significantly larger than Apple.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Apple should build it's own manufacturing plant here in the United States!

That would provide jobs to our people, keep our money in our Country and be quite the catalyst for change away from outsourcing ourselves literally to bankruptcy!

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Go on Samsung remove the ultimate patent trolls Apple. I hope they do get the iphone 5 banned. I can imagine all the Apple fanboys crying after they queue up for days to get one. Im sure if the Apple Store staff just write iphone 5 on the boxes for the iphone 4s the fanboys will still buy them.

Looks like someone can't afford an iPhone.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Ah, so as I though, it has to do only in your Apple reality world

Really, how did you get that from what he said? It's not a far stretch to say that Samsung merely copies other people's products and manufactures them in house, especially for the Asian markets.

----------

In Netherlands the big case was patent related

Yes, and the world is watching Netherlands to see how this all pans out...(no offense to the Dutch, it is my favorite European country).

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Lol this is the best Samsung can come up? Lol..
They are really pulling out the big guns now! Apple is shaking in their boots.. I wonder y they filed it in the Netherlands? Lol of all places? O well. Good luck Samsung. Your going to need it.

But I guess this is the same route I would go if I found out a customer is taking their billions of dollars per year account to another company..

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Is Samsung's strategy to have Apple move all their parts needs to other companies? They are suing the hand that feeds them billions.

How smart is that? If they can't win these lawsuits and lose the manufacturing, they are screwed.

Samsung is attempting to save face. Their (recently exposed) antics in mobile have caused them severe humiliation internationally. Their honour (well, they have none, it's actually damage-comtrol) now requires them to **** themselves.

Which they would never have had to do had they decided to stop up their game in the first place and quit ripping off Apple.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Really, how did you get that from what he said? It's not a far stretch to say that Samsung merely copies other people's products and manufactures them in house, especially for the Asian markets.

Yes, is far stretch to say that.

Yes, and the world is watching Netherlands to see how this all pans out...(no offense to the Dutch, it is my favorite European country).

And woth that you try to say what?

Ah, in Australia and USA the case has more to do with patents that with trade dress

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
[...]

This is the sort of (criminal) organization Apple is dealing with.

Put nothing past them.

sure, Samsung might be doing illegal stuff ... but what does this has to do with this case?

Honestly, I don't know (like probably most people in this forum) if Apple is violating some 3G patent or not or if that patent is really so trivial that it should be invalidated. (I personally have the feeling this is a joke attack, but I don't know all the facts)

Anyway: it does not matter if and what illegal stuff Samsung does ... that does not give any company the right to just use Samsungs IP ... (Not saying Apple is violating anything, but that's a different story where the results will be determined by people with [hopefully] more knowledge)

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
In Netherlands the big case was patent related

Oletros, i know in the past we have had our differences but I just wanna clear things up on this discussion. I know you hate Apple's guts and you love to come to the apple related forums and tell everyone it but can you just give me some info on why Samsung is going to beat apple? All the media coverage and facts make Samsung out to be the criminals and nothing positive points in their direction. So I want you to tell me how Samsung is going to rain down hell on Apple please.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
This has to do with the ongoing litigation re Samsung's ripping off Apple's designs (because that's business as usual at Samsung), then Apple's response to it (which has humiliated Samsung), and now this latest response from Samsung (where they suddenly *remembered* having these "other" wireless patents) because they are apparently done being "passive."

This is the way criminal organizations like Samsung operate. They get caught ripping off competitors, then once they're losing, they pull out straw-man patents - red-herrings - in an attempt to fight back.

Samsung is a tech-mafia.

And yet, if Apple is so innocent, and Samsung is the bad boy, why did Apple, the supposed knight in shining armour feel the need to manipulate the evidence they presented in their case? Apple can play dirty too.

147123.jpg

Take a look at the pre iPad tablets... It must be harder than you think.

I've looked at a lot of the Pre-iPad Tablets, and have concluded it isnt as hard as you think.

Reality.jpg

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
sure, Samsung might be doing illegal stuff ... but what does this has to do with this case?

Honestly, I don't know (like probably most people in this forum) if Apple is violating some 3G patent or not or if that patent is really so trivial that it should be invalidated. (I personally have the feeling this is a joke attack, but I don't know all the facts)

Anyway: it does not matter if and what illegal stuff Samsung does ... that does not give any company the right to just use Samsungs IP ... (Not saying Apple is violating anything, but that's a different story where the results will be determined by people with [hopefully] more knowledge)

We wouldn't be here if Samsung played it straight in the first place. But they aren't above the sort of shady business that got them to this juncture with Apple. When you look at how Samsung operates, it all becomes very clear.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
I guess Samsung was hoping Apple would remain passive when its iPhone was copied.

I am buying a new TV soon, Samsung was a brand of interest until this, bye-bye Samsung.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
There is legislation regarding patents pending in congress and in several countries. If FRAND was somehow incorporated into specific language and a committee formed to establish FRAND rates in specific cases, the companies would all reduce their litigation expenses, product cancellation risks, and probably increase their net licensing revenues as well.

It could also be done outside of governmental systems entirely by all significant patent holders simply subscribing to a FRAND process by contract or treaty.

It seems the only major issue to address are patents which are issued, valuable to basic operations, and currently claimed at higher than traditional value due to their "lucky" positioning within technology as evolved in practice. If that were factored into FRAND committee considerations, nobody would have a reasonable objection unless their specific goal is to exclude competitors from market, or litigation. In those cases suing to challenge those tactics themselves would become simplified.

Rocketman

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
And yet, if Apple is so innocent, and Samsung is the bad boy, why did Apple, the supposed knight in shining armour feel the need to manipulate the evidence they presented in their case?

They obviously didn't, since the German injunction was enforced.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

phillytim said:
Apple should build it's own manufacturing plant here in the United States!

That would provide jobs to our people, keep our money in our Country and be quite the catalyst for change away from outsourcing ourselves literally to bankruptcy!

exactly what I emailed to Steve Jobs 2 years ago, no response ;( and a comment that Apple should take seriously. spread the word, as the folks (most of us) who have helped make apple what they are today we should start a grass roots effort to encourage apple to become more "home grown"

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Yes, is far stretch to say that.

Ahh, I guess Samsung's revolution in HDTV designs changed the entire market...no? Can you please show me any device that Samsung designed that wasn't already done by a competitor, ESPECIALLY in Asia. South Korea has cleaned up a lot over the past couple of decades but Samsung comes from a world of knock off companies - if you don't realize that you probably haven't been around long enough to have this argument.

And woth that you try to say what?

Ah, in Australia and USA the case has more to do with patents that with trade dress

Actually, no it doesn't.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
And yet, if Apple is so innocent, and Samsung is the bad boy, why did Apple, the supposed knight in shining armour feel the need to manipulate the evidence they presented in their case? Apple can play dirty too.
Ive looked at a lot of the Pre-iPad Tablets, and have concluded it isnt as hard as you think.

While I agree with you about changing the design in court. It is still a obvious knock off in design terms overall. Even in your image the tablet history goes from crap to crap to crap to iPad(good) to samsung(good copy). If it wasn't for Apple it would probably end up still crap today or not even any new tablet. After all everyone bagged Apple for releasing a tablet saying that it would never be used and now it is mainstream market.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
.. BASIC?

no way! it takes a lot to "innovate" round edged rectangles you know.

Yes, because this is all about the shape of their hardware - not the blatant knockoff in the software.

It's about neither. This is about Samsung suing Apple over wireless communications patents. Apple wouldn't even need to make a smartphone to infringe, just any phone that uses Samsung's technology. I wasn't sure if they were infringing, but it appears Apple is admitting it is, it just doesn't believe they were offered reasonable license terms.

jW

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I know you hate Apple's guts and you love to come to the apple related forums and tell everyone it

I hate Apple so much that the last two electornic equipments I have bought are a Macbook Air and an iPod Classic.

And, as you like to accuse people, can you prove that I hate Apple and tell it everyone?

can you just give me some info on why Samsung is going to beat apple?

Can you show me where I have said something like that?

Can you tell me why sayong that a suit is patent related can be understood as that Samsung will beat Apple?

All the media coverage and facts make Samsung out to be the criminals and nothing positive points in their direction.

All the media? Really? Media like Macrumors.

Can you show me what The Hague court have said?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.