Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
started to notice a little bit of play with case

So i have had my case for a little over 2 months now and i have started noticing that i can move it back and forth. I have never dropped the case and it only goes in and out of my pocket. However, i feel like if i tried hard enough that i could actually slip the case off. I have lucky labs rash guards on as well as i made sure that it was tight. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am thinking about contacting elementcase about a warranty exchange if it gets worse.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
So i have had my case for a little over 2 months now and i have started noticing that i can move it back and forth. I have never dropped the case and it only goes in and out of my pocket. However, i feel like if i tried hard enough that i could actually slip the case off. I have lucky labs rash guards on as well as i made sure that it was tight. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am thinking about contacting elementcase about a warranty exchange if it gets worse.

I'm experiencing the same thing with one of mine and its starting to cause signal loss almost like the case is touching the phone somewhere even though I'm sure my wrap is the only thing touching. Also on my black ops case I have noticed that the back piece is off and creates the same affect and that has been on both cases and unfortunately they are both bowing now even with the back piece off. It's almost like it created a mold and the case is staying that shape. It's unfortunate because I think it ruined both of my cases but I've reached out to element case but haven't heard back yet.

bloodninj4

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010

i'm nearing two months also and I also do feel a slight change in the grip the case has around the phone.

I attribute it to the foam pads that are lining the inside of the case. I believe over time they are just getting squished down and causing more movement. Would be nice to have additional pads or whatever they are called.

bwerner25

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Texas
Just dropped mine from 3.5-4 feet onto tile directly on the corner edge. If you look closely you can see where it hit but the anno held up very well. There's no damage to the phone and the case is still in great shape.

Dexy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Anyone have a SlickWraps glow skin on the side of iphone with Sector5? Is it compatible with sector5?

omNomNom

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
ok, got my sector 1 week ago. besides what has been said and can be read:

- it feels light, the satin/anodization gives it a grip and a sense of being classy
- for me it transforms the look of the iphone. it's different - for me in a good way
- coming from a speck candy shell: it feels less protected, but so much slimmer, better haptics, better in your hand - i won't go back!
- mine is rather tight fitting, just the right side can be bend in a tiny little. if it moves more: take it off and back on, it helped me. ah, I have the vinyl rashes thingies on.
- the suede is a dust magnet and always touches ground, but it also seems to do farily well.
- it works great with the spigen glass.tr, but the glass _will_ be outside! if you lay it on the display, it sits on the spigen. but dont worry, it is really scratch resistant
- I like my black version, i sometimes think the gunmetal could have been a good choice.
- I was surprised by the hard edge, but after a day or two they feel great.

those thinking about a chinese import:
- it's painted and smooth - it misses the grip a bit
- the black is really dark in comparison: it has reflection like highlights, but not the satin shimmer.
- the import is not as tall and 1gr lighter
- the aluminum feels easier to bend. I dont know how to describe it
- the black screws in compation with the black paint look kinda great together, but it looked like a different phone to me
- the over all fit is good, just the right side moves more. an additional piece of foam pad might help

ok, those are my impression - if wanted I can take pictures. so far I really like it and it actually changed the way I handle/treat my iPhone - it feels more like a device//tool that can take a beating.

last question on my end: which is harder - tempered glass or anodized aluminum?

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
A few things:

I believe tempered glass is harder than the anodized aluminum, but the glass is more fragile. Aluminum will bend and dent whereas glass will shatter. The anodization is only a surface treatment, the underlying aluminum is still soft and will deform.

My sector5 is getting loose as well. I'm not using the protective wraps and have gotten a couple of wear marks on the phone, but nothing that really bothers me.

I don't look at the case as a truly protective case, it's more of a decorative accessory.

I'm using a moldable silicone to tighten the case up. Seems to have worked pretty well, just wish I had done it from day one.

Element case has to have the worst customer service I've experienced. My package was missing the privacy protector and they kept on closing my trouble tickets. I finally had to redial them until I got a human on the phone to get them to send it to me.

On the same note, AFTER I ordered a case for my 4, they decided to discontinue the transit case and omitted it from the order. Their attitude was basically "too bad, sorry about the miscommunication, but since you used a coupon we won't do anything for you". Once again I had to get somebody on the phone to get satisfaction, and you know how impossible that is.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010

Read my posts above yours. Same happened to mine, EC is sending me a replacement. But I think it's going to continue to happen to all of the Sector 5 cases.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've had an FE on since the beginning. It was so tight I found it hard to join the link to screw it together. I also have a silver model I had on for a couple of weeks. It was the same struggle to get on. Back to the FE still extremely tight. Did you use the rash guards? If you used a skin that doesn't wrap over the chamfer, maybe that allows looseness.

Read my post. It hasn't happened to mine and I'm one of the earliest adopters. Don't make blanket statements that are untrue v3rn. It doesn't happen to "all" Sector 5 cases.

vodavoda

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I've used my FE for around a month. It's still tight, phone is held firmly within. I hope it really doesn't go loose over time. The only problem so far is the black color on the screws are fading due to wear and tear.

Dexy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I've used my FE for around a month. It's still tight, phone is held firmly within. I hope it really doesn't go loose over time. The only problem so far is the black color on the screws are fading due to wear and tear.

+1 for screws :(..... Mine is now like a silver :/

duffc

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
I absolutely love this case. When I charged my credit card I had near instant buyers remorse because I was nervous about buying a $140 dollar case. When I opened the package everything screamed quality and my buyers remorse quickly turned into gratification. People ask me about my case all the time at work and out in the public, I've never owned a case that drew so much attention.

My setup is:
White iPhone 5
Red Sticker.boy Wrap
Spigen Glas.tR
Spigen Alimunum Home Button

Currently shopping around for a back plate/skin/whatever.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Read my post. It hasn't happened to mine and I'm one of the earliest adopters. Don't make blanket statements that are untrue v3rn. It doesn't happen to "all" Sector 5 cases.

Because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't make it untrue. I will be surprised if this doesn't become common. The foam on the inside of the case packs down from use and the case become loose. It's a design flaw, and something that should happen to every Sector 5 over time. I guess they could start selling the micro suede liners separate and we could replace it ourselves. But either way, it's annoying.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't make it untrue. I will be surprised if this doesn't become common. The foam on the inside of the case packs down from use and the case become loose. It's a design flaw, and something that should happen to every Sector 5 over time. I guess they could start selling the micro suede liners separate and we could replace it ourselves. But either way, it's annoying.

OK, I've read about two occurrences of this. There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of these cases out there. where's the outcry? Almost all metal cases use foam padding, no problem.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Got mine the other day. It looks great. Only downside is I lose LTE all the time now.

If your losing LTE then something must be misaligned. That case should have zero impact on signal strength being new. Maybe your guards are off or something. Something is for sure not right there. It may not be you but it's something. That is 1 thing I have NEVER heard is loss of signal strength! Or on the data side.

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
OK, I've read about two occurrences of this. There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of these cases out there. where's the outcry? Almost all metal cases use foam padding, no problem.

I was just wondering if it has happened because i hadn't heard about this happening previously. You may be correct, v3rn and I may be the two unlucky ones, i really hope that that is the case. I am sending out mine tonight and will hopefully get a replacement soon after.

mattdouin

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I ordered a case less than 2 weeks ago and have received it. The fitment isn't that good and I'm looking at trying to get it replaced as well.
I uploaded a file to YouTube so that element could see it. Sorry about the shakiness daughter helped record it.
http://youtu.be/Yl2eEOb7BgM

I got a hold of TekCases (where I bought it from) and they had me send it in. The received it today and said it was definitely faulty so they're sending me a new one. Hopefully this next one is good to go.

Starholk

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
I have the first grey FE. Im being using the transit zipper case that followed the sector 5. The transit zipper case seems to be little to small. The zipper is now broken and is has rubbing off the color from the frame.

Anyone else with same problem?

Last edited:

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
So i was a little bored and messed around with both my Sector 5 FE and Black Ops case, and this is what i came out with :D

Attachments

• IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 225

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
I have the first grey FE. Im being using the transit zipper case that followed the sector 5. The transit zipper case seems to be little to small. The zipper is now broken and is has rubbing off the color from the frame.

Anyone else with same problem?

The transit case doesn't even come with the Sector 5 anymore because it was too small. They refunded me money for the case because it was made for the iPhone 4. You weren't even supposed to use it, the zipper will rub on the case and ruin the finish.

Starholk

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
The transit case doesn't even come with the Sector 5 anymore because it was too small. They refunded me money for the case because it was made for the iPhone 4. You weren't even supposed to use it, the zipper will rub on the case and ruin the finish.

They send it to me. Of course i use it. How can i know that its made for iPhone 4 and i cant use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.