Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Bahaha!

First apple owners mock Microsoft's touch screen implementation.

Apple osx gets touch screen implementation

"take my $$$$$!"

Hypocrisy

BFD on touchscreen, but for those that need it, knock yourselves out. I really make a point of NOT touching my screen for any reason other than cleaning.

4K IGZO monitors, on the other hand, are going to be 2014 must haves for video production.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I believe what people were "mocking" was Microsoft's Tiles not the concept of touchscreen.

Nope. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans and even I have to admit that the majority of people on here are/were "mocking" touch screen PCs.

That said... and rightfully so. Any Touchscreen that doesn't tilt is a nightmare to use.

Try using just your iPhone vertically. Tired yet?

I think the reason this is being praised so heavily is due to OSX being on a 4k Igzo screen... not specifically the "touchscreen" aspect of it.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
not every idea from Minority Report is worth creating

Agreed; but wait until Apple releases a 27" touch screen 4K "Ultra Retina" display with four Thunderbolt 2 ports and prices it at $5,000. I have no doubt that there are companies out there that would buy them.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I can't imagine spending thousands for this display and then getting fingerprints all over it.

Hopefully the display technology minus the touchscreen part makes it into the next ACD.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
The best installation for this would be embedded into a desk surface. That would give you a place to "rest" your arms when not in use.

Agreed - or just very easily angled right back, like a laptop only more so.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I believe what people were "mocking" was Microsoft's Tiles not the concept of touchscreen.

People were and are mocking touchscreens as well. After using a 32" touch screen for an hour, your arms will hurt badly.

But it seems that it was Sharp's decision to make this monitor a touchscreen monitor, and not Apple's. Not much that Apple can do about it if Sharp produces the right drivers.

I think many people would love a 32" Retina display (I think it won't have quite the resolution of a Retina MBP, but the viewing distance is larger, so it will be Retina). I don't know how many would in addition be keen on touchscreen.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Lets be realistic here. Other than the "OMG" factor this has very little, if any real world use right now, or in the short term future.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
3 or 4 of these mounted up, around a desk so you can move windows, work, and game like never before. Ok, small nerdgasim just now.

bjeadeh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Me too please

Yes please, and I would like a multitouch FCPx or Avid MC to go wih it :D

I've been waiting for a multi-touch monitor for FCP and actually Pro Tools. This looks like it will fit the bill just right. Never mind the 4K, but that is a nice option too for great camera work. How about regular 1080 and 4x the speed?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What is it again? Oh yeah when APPLE does it or it has anything to do with Apple then it's amazing and revolutionary, when anyone else does it it's utter crap and they stole from Apple... hmmm....

The Panasonic 4k 20" tablet is better than this thing as it's actually manageable.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123...20-inch-pro-spec-slate-shows-off-4k-potential

AND it was shown at CES earlier this year, it beat this 32" device into the public eye.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Touch screen has its uses and it is here already with Windows 8. Windows 8 is a rather poor implementation, but at least MS is trying.

I really wish Apple was more innovative and had touchscreen Macbooks.

I'd have to disagree, Windows 8 has fairly good implementation in terms of a touch experience. But obviously there is a need for improvement in some areas.

As for the Touchscreen Sharp Monitor, looks like It'll be awesome for the resolution alone. But I've gotta be honest, it isn't going to work well on OS X, since It isn't touch friendly just yet, apart from maybe the Launchpad. It'll probably be virtually unusable. Kind of like Windows 7 was on earlier tablets..

It's certainly going to work on Windows 8+ much better, but that's a given :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.