Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I don't think it'll be used for more than about 5 minutes each, so that might be OK. I see this being on trade shows or to view portfolios on some exhibition etc. Not something I see someone working on during long office hours. :D

yes, I agree. this is just a "see what we can do" statement by Sharp. very limited practical use for something like this as a touchscreen, whatever the OS. as you say, perhaps some trade shows and exhibitions but not much else.
as suggested, anybody trying to do actual work using their hands on something like this will want a set of new arms after 5 minutes.
they should just make the same thing but without touch.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I've been waiting for a multi-touch monitor for FCP and actually Pro Tools. This looks like it will fit the bill just right. Never mind the 4K, but that is a nice option too for great camera work. How about regular 1080 and 4x the speed?

Having touchscreen abilities may be nice for some minor tweaking, but I really don't see it working for long term use. The ergonomics just don't make sense. Unless you can angle the screen so that it's more horizontal to the desk, but then you would have to look down rather than straight ahead. For "key presses" themselves, a physical key is still much easier than touching a screen. I'd rather not have to take my eye off the source/record monitors just because I need to see if my hand is in the right place. Seems to me that a keyboard and mouse/trackball/digitizer will still be much more efficient, unless the UI of the software undergoes a radical transformation.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
No, Apple has very publicly shunned touch screen iMac's because the company (as said directly from Tim Cook) does not see any practical use of a touch screens on the desktop or laptop. So of course this has been indoctrinated by Apple fanbois as meaning that touch desktops and laptops are pointless and useless, until they see a demo of OS X on an touch 4K screen and start wanting one.

Heh. I love the reactions in this thread. I hope we can refer back to them one day, maybe it will be like that infamous "Thread 500" poo-pooing the iPod when Apple first released it.

I'm OK if Apple chooses not to make touchscreen Macs, but if other companies are willing to provide drivers, I can see it having value in certain applications. It might not be for everybody, but now we have the choice.

And I continue to maintain that OS X is steadily adopting more and more iOS style features that appear to be paving the way toward operating a Mac by touchscreen. Whether Apple is intentionally doing it or not is debatable, but look at all of the recent focus on Full Screen in OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks. And Launchpad, just like the Sharp photos, looks like a perfect way to launch your apps by touch.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Having touchscreen abilities may be nice for some minor tweaking, but I really don't see it working for long term use. The ergonomics just don't make sense. Unless you can angle the screen so that it's more horizontal to the desk, but then you would have to look down rather than straight ahead. For "key presses" themselves, a physical key is still much easier than touching a screen. I'd rather not have to take my eye off the source/record monitors just because I need to see if my hand is in the right place. Seems to me that a keyboard and mouse/trackball/digitizer will still be much more efficient, unless the UI of the software undergoes a radical transformation.

Good grief man, haven't you watched Hawaii Five-O? You can order pizza by just putting your phone down flat on the screen!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What's with all the strawmen here? Who is saying this is awesome, revolutionary or even something they want? :confused:

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
A touch screen might be useful if it was just a supplemental input. As long as I could still navigate with my mouse when necessary, it might be OK.

That's what so many people don't seem to GET about touchscreens. Of course you can still use your mouse, touchpad, keyboard, Wacom, and anything else. Touch is just another choice.

Also consider this screen, either as a tabletop or wall-mounted, as a collaboration interface. Two people, both using touch, but don't have to share a mouse.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
What's with all the strawmen here? Who is saying this is awesome, revolutionary or even something they want? :confused:

Heh well, I can't speak for everyone else but I at least think it will be a nice companion for my easel - some of us still remember what it's like to use our whole upper torso for painting :)

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Bahaha!

First apple owners mock Microsoft's touch screen implementation.

Apple osx gets touch screen implementation

"take my $$$$$!"

Hypocrisy

Yeah... no. First off, There is only one guy above your post saying "I should save my money", and 3 or 4 criticizing it as being impractical or enterprise only. Are trolls so bad these days they can't even read a stupid thread in order to make a half way accurate jab?

Second, it's okay for humanity to be split, where some people would like a large tablet, while others would not. Grouping everyone who uses Apple products into one group and trying to designate them as liking touch screen or not liking it. That stupid.

Third, it is 100% acceptable to mock a bad implementation of touch and praise a good one. That's just good consumerism :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Just because its running off a mac don't mean apple had anything to do with it. Its a SHARP product That will SUPPORT apple drivers. Get over yourself. Go troll somewhere else

Not trolling, just stating facts :) the hypocrisy on this site reaches frankly laughable levels sometimes. And I would also state if it had nothing to do with Apple then why is it on the Mac Rumors website then?

Last edited:

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
TV Sneak-peaks?

No, not that this is a preview of the "new" AppleTV (seriously doubt touchscreen will be a part of that)- but that Sharp has given out a few samples to high visibility clients.

For instance, I tried giving the new Robin Williams tv show, "The Crazy Ones" a go when I saw the pilot was free on iTunes. In it there's a scene where Robin's character has a SJ/Don Draper moment and walks to a large panel on the wall, touches it and brings up what is most def an iPad interface, swipes a screen or two, clicks an image and launches a QT video clip. Now i just assumed that this was being faked using airplay or other effect, but now I see that it could easily been this. And while I wouldnt use it often, if I did trade shows or worked with small teams I could see it very handy.

Also, just a side note: though I didn't really care for the show, I did appreciate the reference to the iconic Apple Think Different ad...not just in title, but as an important character development plot point.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
32" iPad :eek:!!!

Nope. It will be for a 32 inch iPhone. You will need two friends to hold it while you make calls and need to tote around a battery pack on wheels. Android fanbois will say "I told you so. Better is always bigger." Then Samesung will announce the week after Apple's announcement that Samesung will be making a 60" Galaxy 5 which will crash regularly but Samesung fanbois will tout its larger screen saying that once again, Android leaves iOS in the dust.

Wall Street analysists will finally praise Apple for releasing a larger iPhone but on Samesung's announcement they will once again proclaim that "Apple is doomed!"

And so it goes. Round and round all over again.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Nope. It will be for a 32 inch iPhone. You will need two friends to hold it while you make calls and need to tote around a battery pack on wheels. Android fanbois will say "I told you so. Better is always bigger." Then Samesung will announce the week after Apple that they will be making a 60" Galaxy 5 which will crash regularly but Samesung fanbois will tout its larger screen saying that once again, Android leaves iOS in the dust.

Wall Street analysists will finally praise Apple for releasing a larger iPhone but on Samesung's announcement will once again proclaim "Apple is doomed!"

And so it goes. Round and round all over again.

Once more. This is your brain on drugs and this is your brain.

This Sharp Display is running OSX off of a Macbook Pro NOT IOS.

Any analogy using IOS is simply wrong.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's what so many people don't seem to GET about touchscreens. Of course you can still use your mouse, touchpad, keyboard, Wacom, and anything else. Touch is just another choice.

Also consider this screen, either as a tabletop or wall-mounted, as a collaboration interface. Two people, both using touch, but don't have to share a mouse.

This. Mention touchscreens on a desktop or laptop around here, and you're guaranteed to see a dozen kneejerk reactions and at least two references to gorilla arm within 3.58 seconds.

People need to realize that touch isn't the major focus of interaction for these machines. It's an extra option, another tool to use, another method of input that works alongside the rest.

yes, I agree. this is just a "see what we can do" statement by Sharp. very limited practical use for something like this as a touchscreen, whatever the OS. as you say, perhaps some trade shows and exhibitions but not much else.
as suggested, anybody trying to do actual work using their hands on something like this will want a set of new arms after 5 minutes.
they should just make the same thing but without touch.

I am sure that the Neanderthas equally had complacency about the the wheel and fire! I personally would love a touch screen interface on an iMac or Mac pro, the touch screen would augment my work but never replace my touch-pad and keyboard

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Once more. This is your brain on drugs and this is your brain.

This Sharp Display is running OSX off of a Macbook Pro NOT IOS.

Any analogy using IOS is simply wrong.

Clearly you missed the humor in my post.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I just flew in from the coast, and boy are my arms tired

NO ONE will use this after 5 minutes

you will need Gigantic shoulders

what a TERRIBLE User Interface Design

not every idea from Minority Report is worth creating

LOL, not surprised your arms are so tired after flying that far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.