Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple rumors have pointed towards Apple releasing at least one new iPhone with an OLED display next year, and now the best confirmation yet has surfaced.

galaxy-s7-edge-iphone-7-plus.jpg

The move was spoiled by Sharp President and CEO Tai Jeng-wu, who told students at Tatung University in Taiwan that Apple is switching from LCD to OLED panels, according to Japan's Nikkei Asian Review.
"The iPhone has been evolving and now it is switching from LTPS (low-temperature poly-silicon) to OLED panels," Tai told students at Tatung University, his alma mater, during a ceremony in which he was awarded an honorary doctorate degree.

"We don't know whether Apple's OLED iPhones will be a hit, but if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation. It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity," Tai said.
Sharp said it is building a new OLED facility in Japan to manufacture the displays for a "key customer," but it has not ruled out U.S. manufacturing if required.
"We are now building a new [OLED] facility in Japan. We can make [OLED panels] in the U.S. too," he said. "If our key customer demands us to manufacture in the U.S., is it possible for us not to do so?"
Tai did not specify when new iPhones will switch to OLED displays, but the transition is widely expected to start next year.

Nikkei previously said Apple is planning to release at least three new iPhones next year, including a high-end model with a 5.5-inch-or-larger OLED display that is curved on both sides like Samsung's Galaxy S7 edge.

The report said the other two models would be traditional 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhones with LCD displays as used currently.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said the high-end iPhone will sport a curved 5.8-inch OLED display with glass casing like the iPhone 4.

When applied to the height of an existing 5.5-inch iPhone, a 5.8-inch display would leave an extra 7.25mm of display on each side. This would extend the display across the front and sides of the iPhone, perhaps allowing for a wraparound display with side-based gestures as featured on the Galaxy S7 edge.

iphonewraparounddisplay-800x511.jpg

In addition to Sharp, Korea's BusinessKorea today reported LG and Samsung are in a "do or die" fight to secure OLED display orders from Apple.

Japan Display -- a joint venture between Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi -- also confirmed it will begin OLED display production in 2018, although its bid to win orders from Apple may fall short. Taiwan's AU Optronics could also be in the mix.

OLED displays can have sharper color contrast and brighter colors compared to LCD displays, while the technology allows for flexible, curved designs. OLED panels also typically have faster response times and better viewing angles compared to LCD technology, with the option for always-on mode.

Article Link: Apple Supplier Sharp Confirms New iPhones to Switch From LCD to OLED Displays

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Wait, it won't be long before posts starting asking for Tim to resign because Steve would never allow this change. lol Steve would tell everyone to F off if you didn't like his decisions.

This is a good move. But we need to focus on the logo not glowing anymore or the startup chime being gone. :)

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
Hopefully Apple does not use the curved display. It distorts the images at the edges. It also greatly reduces the effectiveness of protective bumper cases. As the sides are left more exposed. I think it is an impractical gimmick.
I've heard that they are going to drop Three new models; perhaps One of them is curved and the other two aren't?

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
*** damnit! If OLED is for the larger iPhones I'll be beyond pissed. I gave them a pass with a better camera but this will be worse than the awful MacBook [Pro] release. If Cook doesn't feel the heat now he'll be feeling it in a year when millions of iPhone owners start revolting at the gates.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Why?

I'm neither for or against this move, and I full confidence that it will look good.

Costant burn-in on every Samsung flagship I ever even owned, last one being S6, and piss-yellow whites.
I'll probably never own an iPhone but I have no problem admitting their IPS displays look far more natural and beautiful than any Samsung.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
We all knew OLED would come eventually.

The only uncertain part would be for the 2017 iPhone...would it come to the 5.5" (and larger) exclusively or would it happen across all the display sizes.

My feeling is the former (for the first year).

As for this talk about screen burn-in...bring it on. Since I have my phone exclusively on low-power mode, I scoff at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You mean that screen they have now which was rated as the very best screen on any device on the market?
Are you referring to this?
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...er-marks-major-upgrade-over-iphone-6.1998415/

If so, it doesn't say what you think it does. ;) Regardless, screen tech is to the point now where lcd or oled really doesn't matter from a viewing perspective. They're going to look good. Under the hood efficiency is what the manufacturers want. That's why Apple is finally looking at oled and mled.

chrismail627

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
California
Costant burn-in on every Samsung flagship I ever even owned, last one being S6, and piss-yellow whites.
I'll probably never own an iPhone but I have no problem admitting their IPS displays look far more natural and beautiful than any Samsung.
Interesting, I have never had any of those issues with my Samsung phones, but I guess it's different with anyone.

Personally I am happy to see them adopt OLED. I just hope that they make good use of it (i.e. dark mode).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.