iPhone 7's 'Best LCD Display Ever' Marks 'Major Upgrade Over iPhone 6'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DisplayMate Technologies has declared iPhone 7 has the "best LCD display" it has ever tested, calling it "truly impressive" and a "major upgrade" over the iPhone 6 based on a series of advanced viewing tests and measurements.

iPhone 7 achieved the highest color accuracy, peak brightness, and contrast rating in bright light of any smartphone display, the highest contrast ratio of any IPS LCD display, and the lowest screen reflectance of any smartphone display.

Apple's latest flagship smartphone also has image contrast and intensity described as "visually indistinguishable from perfect," and the smallest color variation when viewing the screen at an angle of any smartphone display.

Color Accuracy and Power Efficiency

iPhone 7 has two color gamuts, including a new 26% larger DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, as found in 4K TVs, and a traditional, smaller sRGB / Rec.709 gamut. DisplayMate said both gamuts have been implemented with absolute color accuracy that is "visually indistinguishable from perfect," which is "truly impressive" and a "major competitive advantage" over other smartphones.

DisplayMate said the iPhone 7 has "the most color accurate display" that it has ever measured, adding that the smartphone's display is "very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV, or UHD TV" that consumers have. In technical terms, the iPhone 7 has a "Just Noticeable Color Difference" (JNCD) rating of 1.1, which is the best result of any smartphone it has ever tested.

Despite having a much wider color gamut, the iPhone 7's display is 7% more power efficient than the iPhone 6's display.
    Brightness

The measured peak brightness for the iPhone 7 is 602 cd/m2 (nits), the highest of any smartphone DisplayMate has ever tested.

The measurement increases up to a record 705 nits when Automatic Brightness is turned on under brightly lit conditions.
    Contrast Ratio

DisplayMate said the iPhone 7 has a record-breaking contrast ratio among IPS LCD smartphone displays.
    iPhone 7 also has the highest contrast rating (137 to 160) in high ambient light of any smartphone.

Reflectance

DisplayMate said iPhone 7 has 4.4% screen reflectance, which is a record low among smartphones it has ever tested.

However, the iPhone 7 doesn't come close to the record low 1.7% screen reflectance of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which has a special anti-reflective coating.
    Viewing Angle

DisplayMate said the iPhone 7 has "excellent viewing angle performance" with no visually noticeable color shifts. The display had the smallest color variation when viewed at an angle, earning a JNCD rating of 2.1 or less.
    DisplayMate shared more in-depth analysis in its iPhone 7 vs. iPhone 6 display shootout.

Article Link: iPhone 7's 'Best LCD Display Ever' Marks 'Major Upgrade Over iPhone 6'

2. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

3. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I've seen it in person. The color accuracy, brightness, etc. are improvements, yes. But after you see/use a 1440p display from any other high-end phones in the market today, it really makes you anticipate that much more for the next iPhone.

4. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

5. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Not OLED, and its really not that big of a difference. A lot of people can't even notice it.

6. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

My iPhone 7's display is considerably warmer and less brighter than that of my 6S. The difference is very obvious when I hold both phones side by side. Is anyone else noticing this with their phone as well?

8. nfl46, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

nfl46 macrumors 603

Samsung display is still better. Apple has took LCD as far as it can take it...now, it's time to switch to amoled...its matured enough now.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Interesting choice of words there. Who determines what is and isn't "perfect"? Seems more like a subjective point of view to me. Not to take away from the stunning display that they're touting, but I think essentially calling it perfect is a bit much.

10. Seanm87 macrumors member

Hopefully that will shut the yellow screen brigaders up though probably not.

11. Zirel macrumors 68020

Zirel

Good!

Means it doesn't have burn in problems.

12. randymac09 macrumors regular

I did notice it is a bit warmer. However, it is definitely brighter than the 6 I was using. Can't speak for the 6s. I wonder if the warmer tones are more 'accurate' than previous displays?

13. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Not that I had any bad experiences with reflectivity but what could be the reason Apple didn't include this coating on the iPhone? They seem to do have the technology.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

But... but... so many people said it was the 6SS and not worth an update?

Can't wait for the seas of incredulity when the iPhone 7S is announced next year. I honestly can't wait.

15. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

"Better" in what exactly, other than blacks?

16. Zirel macrumors 68020

Zirel

[​IMG]

Hope you can see it with your display. It's called OLED burn in.

17. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Ahh so that's why everyone's brightness is being reported lower.... You have to turn auto brightness on to get the full 25% brighter brightness!

18. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

19. Zirel macrumors 68020

Zirel

At arm's lenght, it doesn't matter if it has 1440p or 1080p, everything above 280-300 dpi looks the same.

20. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

i was in store playing with the new iphone 7's. I have an iphone 6 plus and honestly i didn't see a massive improvement.

If any of you are on the fence upgrading do yourself a favor and visit the store.

The iphone 7 doesn't feel that much newer than the 2 year old iphone 6.

21. zrherda88 macrumors newbie

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they are measuring it based on how it displays color and accuracy of colors. I do not know the scale but lets say that 10.0 was perfect, the iphone must rate at a 9.999 or something close. Correct me if I am wrong though anyone who knows what they actually mean, but I took it to mean that there testing has established that X measurement is perfect and the new iphone is very close.

22. Adithya007 macrumors regular

23. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

No, it will be time to change to Micro-OLED next Fall. :rolleyes:

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Here you go: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note7_ShootOut_1.htm

It's very descriptive and answers your question in more than one way.