Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The issue is that apps and mobile web sites aren’t being designed for smaller screens anymore. It’s already increasingly troublesome on the mini (and, incidentally, on the 11 Pro, which shares the mini’s logical resolution).

Which is ridiculous because I thought this was the whole point of going to all these responsive designs everywhere

Tech is so messed up. We should be in a time of the most flexible device types and sizes

Reactions: lpc2

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
If I truly had my small phone dreams realized, it would indeed be a 3.5" 4:3 display again

Something super thin and light, purposely running a slightly lower end ASi chip for max efficiency and weight reduction

It's so odd how tech at one point in time was all about making the coolest smallest thinnest lightest...dare we say "sexiest"... products that one could

And now... bleh
They did have that one company that tried making an ultralight phone as your run and gun phone, with the expectation you'd have a larger phone for doing grunt work. Didn't work out, and I imagine the idea of a second device is anathema to a lot of people in that context.

Really, it's just a case of so many headwinds, some Apple-inflicted (it's a smaller, lighter phone, you can make it thicker to give it better battery life and it'll still be smaller and lighter! Not giving the diehard pundits who most clamored for a small phone a high-end option) and some down to the realities of phone buying (some people do everything on their phone and thus want the big screen, people going into a showroom are going to be lured by the biggest screens, etc.) I'd love for them to keep making it even as a every-few-years one-off, but that probably doesn't make economic nor software support sense (every so often I run into something that doesn't work right on my mini's small screen size because no one checked it over.) It is what it is.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The 12 mini price was the same as the previous-year larger iPhone (11). The regular 12 was bumped by $100. As a result, the iPhone mini was perceived being as expensive as large-sized iPhones had been before. For most people, this was hidden in the phone plan pricing, however plans for the mini also weren’t advertised much.

The reality was that the iPhone 12 and 13 mini were NOT priced the same as the larger/regular 12 and 13 and therefore the minis didn't fail because they were priced the same. That's all I was pointing out.

Reactions: JPack

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The reality was that the iPhone 12 and 13 mini were NOT priced the same as the larger/regular 12 and 13 and therefore the minis didn't fail because they were priced the same. That's all I was pointing out.
You are technically correct (the best kind of correct), but the mini wasn’t seen as a bargain for the reasons I explained (and also because the SE2 had just been released a few months prior).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I still remembered people were saying exactly the samething when iPhone 5 came out. 3.5inch as perfect size and iPhone 5 were to big.

Then iPhone 6 and 6 Plus came out, all the sudden iPhone SE was the best small phone, completely igroned 3.5inch iPhone.

Now 5.4inch mini is the perfect small phone. I think not long after, 6.1inch will be the dream samll phone
iPhone 5 is peak form factor.

iPhone 13 mini is second best.

I'll take a 6.1" phone, when there's nothing else. But not because it's the best, it's just the best that's available.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Geta, this year the 16 Pro is moving to 6.3”, and the ‘regular’ Iphone 17 will also follow suit in 2025. So when the Iphone SE4 is released in 2025 with a 6.1” screen (based on most rumours), it may inadvertently become one of the smallest phones on the market (along with regular iphone 16). It’s not great i know, but this is the roadmap for the next couple years. Only real hope is Apple release a foldable like the Galaxy Flip.
I'm aware about all this… :confused:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
At the gym on my SE1

Wow. Less weight made a really big difference in my pocket on the walk down here (2.5 miles)

Loving this so far and delighted that my Garmin seamlessly connects and syncs with both phones - just then BT off on one and on for the other. Boom!

Reactions: GerritV

CarnelianClout

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2023
I don't personally get the hype around small Iphones. I am perfectly fine with the 6.1" display. Anything smaller than that would largely be a downgrade to me in terms of screen display.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
iPhone 5 is peak form factor.

iPhone 13 mini is second best.

I'll take a 6.1" phone, when there's nothing else. But not because it's the best, it's just the best that's available.

Sure. That's how we should adpot.

I don't know if complain on a private fan forum will get Apple or any manufacturers making other small phone.

Maybe in couple years later, everyone will have a VisionPro 24*7... Then this small vs big phone debate will end

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Sure. In all seriousness, majority of people has chosen larger phones. It isn't like phone manufacturers didn't try small phones.

I remember old Moto G, I remembered old Samsung S3 mini. Apple tried to sell iPhone 12/13 mini etc. All of these phone weren't sold exactly well. Sure, three are billions of activated iOS devices out there, even 1% of iOS users wants small phone, it is still a big number. But that doesn't mean Apple or any other phone maker should or obligated to create one for them.

Heck, I found old dot matrix printer fasnating and I also liked the P.S. 2 keyboards. But that doesn't mean printer manufacturers will now need come up with dot matrix printer or keyboard manufacturers will now need to sell P.S. 2 keyboards.

Apple didn't try very hard with the 12 or 13 Mini - particularly the latter. So many people weren't even aware of them.

Regardless it sucks for the plenty of people who want a reasonable sized iPhone. An iPhone 13 mini nearly has the same screen size as the 6/6S/7/8+ models (5.4 vs 5.5). Don't remember anyone ever saying they were tiny.

It's extremely frustrating seeing as many other phone makers would be delighted with the numbers of 12 and 13 Minis that were sold - just not Apple because the profit margins aren't as much as the monster sized iPhones.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Regardless it sucks for the plenty of people who want a reasonable sized iPhone. An iPhone 13 mini nearly has the same screen size as the 6/6S/7/8+ models (5.4 vs 5.5). Don't remember anyone ever saying they were tiny.
You're trying to compare 5.5" [16:9] to 5.4" [19.5:9] display

Measurement-wise, they're close but they have different aspect ratio

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Sure. That's how we should adpot.

I don't know if complain on a private fan forum will get Apple or any manufacturers making other small phone.

Maybe in couple years later, everyone will have a VisionPro 24*7... Then this small vs big phone debate will end

Once people walk around 24/7 with Vision Pro, it will be the end of the human race as we know it. :confused:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Apple didn't try very hard with the 12 or 13 Mini - particularly the latter. So many people weren't even aware of them.

It's extremely frustrating seeing as many other phone makers would be delighted with the numbers of 12 and 13 Minis that were sold - just not Apple because the profit margins aren't as much as the monster sized iPhones.
Considering the video in the first post of this thread has the last decent phone under 6' being discontinued by Asus I'd say all phone manufacturers aren't happy with the numbers..

Reactions: JPack

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I guess I understand the point of view, but even at the much smaller % of the iPhone sales, Apple was still selling many millions of Mini-sized iPhones.

Besides, there are plenty of Apple products that did not sell well compared to the product category, and Apple continued to sell it. Look at the Apple Watch when it was first launched compared to now.

Not saying that Apple will definitely sell a smaller iPhone again, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Maybe once the novelty of large phones wear off, the market might shift again towards smaller phones.

I don't think it's a matter of novelty. Novelty wanes faster. Consumers have expressed a preference for larger phones for several years now. Smartphones have become full on pocket computers and media devices for most people, so they (we) want the largest screen size possible.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I don't think it's a matter of novelty. Novelty wanes faster. Consumers have expressed a preference for larger phones for several years now. Smartphones have become full on pocket computers and media devices for most people, so they (we) want the largest screen size possible.

Please don't talk in my behalf!

Just because you and others want to have large devices that barely fit in the pockets to consume media content 24/7 wherever you go, doesn't mean everyone is interested in doing so.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
In another year and a half we will have a choice of 6.3" and 6.9". I'm sure Apple will offer something smaller.....maybe a 6.1" SE? I wish they would offer a 5.8" again though.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Please don't talk in my behalf!

Just because you and others want to have large devices that barely fit in the pockets to consume media content 24/7 wherever you go, doesn't mean everyone is interested in doing so.
I don't believe I said "everyone". I said "most", which is certainly what the sales trends seem to suggest.
I'm not sure why you would infer that you are part of the "they" I was referring to.

Reactions: decafjava

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
Yeah, thanks, I am aware, no need to rub it in! (Although Apple has never made a small phone with the good camera and the good screen, I’m curious how an iPhone Pro mini would have fared.)

Here's the stupid oversized iPhone Pro that I begrudgingly lug around next to a normal hand-sized phone.

I miss that form factor every single day.

View attachment 2359232
I agree. I still have my old 4S in drawer. Battery is dead now, doesn’t turn on. But sometimes I just take it out and hold it for a second.

That was the apex of phone design, I’ve felt that way for 14 years and at this point I don’t think I’m gonna feel differently.

I would pay 2,000 bucks for an iPhone 4 with new internals. Unchanged outside. Obviously never gonna happen but… yeah. Agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.