Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Make sure you don't put your hands on an SE1
I thought I'd grown happy with my 13 Mini after the last year+ of using it

Man I miss a small and lightweight iPhone

The SE1 reminds me of Airpods 1&2 with how the product can just "disappear"
(in ears, or pockets in the case of the former)

Such a shame we can't have something in the iPhone 5/5S/SE1 form factor or general size anymore.

I always thought Apple would keep something really small going, given their supposed prowess with small and power efficient chips

:confused:
I actually sold a decent SE1, however sure it is smaller than the 13 mini but for me it was just too small and doesn’t support the latest iOS. The 13 mini is just right. But wish it can last a little longer on its dinky 2400mAh battery. At the moment I’m getting approx 6hours SOT with it.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Noticed that some comments here and other threads in past that lot of people seem assume people get mini barely use iPhone Minis. I have iPhone Mini 12 and still do and longest I keep same iPhone. I use it for everything I need text, imessage, email, browsing internet, online shopping, maps, train apps, bus apps, social media apps, HomeKit, Apple Health, notes, reminders, calendar, weather, camera, photos, streaming, YouTube, etc and so much more. I don’t want massive iPhone that barely fits my pocket. Mini perfect size fit and screen is big enough do all I need it for. My iPhone Mini 12 almost 4 years old (longest I ever keep same iPhone) and I do need replace it this year cos of battery draining faster now and I delay it last year cos not ready give up my Mini yet.

Edit: Also I don’t want get older tech iPhone SE. iPhone Mini was great cos it have all latest features iPhone 12, just smaller. I love tech and I rather not buy older tech.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Noticed that some comments here and other threads in past that lot of people seem assume people get mini barely use iPhone Minis. I have iPhone Mini 12 and still do and longest I keep same iPhone. I use it for everything I need text, imessage, email, browsing internet, online shopping, maps, train apps, bus apps, social media apps, HomeKit, Apple Health, notes, reminders, calendar, weather, camera, photos, streaming, YouTube, etc and so much more. I don’t want massive iPhone that barely fits my pocket. Mini perfect size fit and screen is big enough do all I need it for. My iPhone Mini 12 almost 4 years old (longest I ever keep same iPhone) and I do need replace it this year cos of battery draining faster now and I delay it last year cos not ready give up my Mini yet.

Edit: Also I don’t want get older tech iPhone SE. iPhone Mini was great cos it have all latest features iPhone 12, just smaller. I love tech and I rather not buy older tech.

Jay, if you change the battery (£50 ish), your 12 Mini will work almost like brand new. Will probably change it on my 12 mini soon as its down to 85%, but my 13 Mini is still going strong with 98% battery.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Jay, if you change the battery (£50 ish), your 12 Mini will work almost like brand new. Will probably change it on my 12 mini soon as it’s down to 85%, but my 13 Mini is still going strong with 98% battery.
My battery health still says 90% so I am unlikely able get new battery even though I need charge it twice day at least! 🤣 Apple sticks with 80% limit for battery replacement.

Plus I will have to go London (I don’t live London) and I don’t really want to all way there and find out they won’t replace my battery.

Edit: Wish there is way they can test my battery remotely to confirm if they will replace it before I travel to London. Would be much easier.

Just checked Apple website it now £85 if I wanted to get new battery if I am below 80%.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
My battery health still says 90% so I am unlikely able get new battery even though I need charge it twice day at least! 🤣 Apple sticks with 80% limit for battery replacement.

Plus I will have to go London (I don’t live London) and I don’t really want to all way there and find out they won’t replace my battery.

Edit: Wish there is way they can test my battery remotely to confirm if they will replace it before I travel to London. Would be much easier.

Just checked Apple website it now £85 if I wanted to get new battery if I am below 80%.
Oh wow is it £85 now, ok maybe just stick with a good power bank then!

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What are people doing on their phones that causes the battery not to last even a full day? Genuine question. (I probably charge mine once or twice a week, and I make next to no calls and send very few texts.)

Low signal.

Also, background Find My and Home are the biggest battery guzzlers on my iPhone. I need these services though so I've resigned myself to charging more frequently.

Reactions: D_J

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm just done with the whole phone/phablet culture at this point. Once my 13 mini dies, I'll probably just get a flip phone.

This resonates with me
I may go back to my SE1 fleet at some point here

I'm blown away with how much I'm enjoying using one again
It started out as "just for the gym/exercise" and I'm just loving the size/weight

maccidents

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2024
United States
Maximum consumer need their phone bcz of bigger display for content watching, gaming, camera. I think that's why giant companies provide bigger phone.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

Nic727

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
I really don't understand. At some points, phones and computers were getting smaller and smaller. Now it's getting bigger and bigger.

I would like to change phone by the end of the year from my iPhone 8. I love Touch ID and the home button which make everything so easy to do, but I have to resign if I want more IOS upgrade and better camera.

Last small iPhone I believe is the iPhone 13 mini that I can find online via other retailers than Apple. I'm a bit sad, because I read that the next iPhone SE will be as big as the new iPhone Pro and that there wont be iPhone 16 mini :(

I think an iPhone 16 Mini with USB-C would be a great seller, but I guess people prefer big phone that don't fit in pockets really well.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I really don't understand. At some points, phones and computers were getting smaller and smaller. Now it's getting bigger and bigger.

The processing portion of the computer and phone has been shrinking. But the displays have always been growing.

Apple's first notebook had a 9-inch display. The first smartphone displays were less than 3-inches.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

I would like to change phone by the end of the year from my iPhone 8. I love Touch ID and the home button which make everything so easy to do, but I have to resign if I want more IOS upgrade and better camera.

Last small iPhone I believe is the iPhone 13 mini that I can find online via other retailers than Apple. I'm a bit sad, because I read that the next iPhone SE will be as big as the new iPhone Pro and that there wont be iPhone 16 mini :(

I think an iPhone 16 Mini with USB-C would be a great seller, but I guess people prefer big phone that don't fit in pockets really well.
iPhone SE is same size/form factor as your ip8 (and my ip7).
SE3 is still in production, so IOS should be supported for a good few years, and it has the same CPU as ip14.
Rule of thumb is at least 5 major iOS updates, so IOS20 at least.

Iphone 13 mini is discontinued so unknown when iOS support will be dropped.
I am leaning towards iPhone SE, for longevity.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
iPhone SE is same size/form factor as your ip8 (and my ip7).
SE3 is still in production, so IOS should be supported for a good few years, and it has the same CPU as ip14.
Rule of thumb is at least 5 major iOS updates, so IOS20 at least.

Iphone 13 mini is discontinued so unknown when iOS support will be dropped.
I am leaning towards iPhone SE, for longevity.

SE3 and 13 Mini using the same CPU, so both of them will have the same iOS support.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I thought the Mini was a great design, not for me though. This year I got my first ever big iPhone, a 14 Pro Max, and I love it, my eyes truly appreciate its larger screen etc. But when I was able to I appreciated just as much the iPhone 4 and the 6S was my all time favourite Apple iPhone design, but I have to say now my 14 Pro Max is my favourite all time iPhone, love it.
Sadly the market spoke and big screens sell the most, so that is what they’ll make.

However, I think it’s sad they don’t offer a Pro Mini, I think their would be a market for that.

Reactions: decafjava

D_J

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
Low signal.

Also, background Find My and Home are the biggest battery guzzlers on my iPhone. I need these services though so I've resigned myself to charging more frequently.
Low signal is the biggest one. Where I live there might as well be no cellular coverage. If I don't remember to put my 12 mini in airplane mode when I'm at home the battery just tanks. My work phone is an SE2 that only uses VoIP (WiFi only), with everything disabled on it, it last 6-7 days between charges.

Still waiting and refreshing hourly for the 13 mini to reappear on the refurb store...12 mini's down to 85% battery life after 3 years.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
We've had a little "small phone" development today

I bought a mint condition 64GB SE1 from ebay for $20
The seller claimed it had a defective SIM card slot

I didn't care because I wanted it for usage by my bed at night for podcasts/audiobooks/streaming ... so all I needed was "not iCloud locked"

Phone showed up today

Totally MINT condition -- 133 battery cycles
Also...SIM slot works fine (activated it with an extra active T-Mo SIM I have) ...

AND..

Here's the real kicker

It's on iOS 10!!!
That's the last version that runs 32 bit apps

What did I do first?

Re-download my two favorite iOS games of all time, MotionX Poker Dice and Flight Control

OMG -- HEAVEN

Now I need to buy yet another SE1 for bedside usage, as this one is never getting updated off iOS10 - EVER!

A happy problem
The SE1 fleet grows!

I have a full on SE1 "Navy" over here!

Some photos were obligatory!

Also - "yes" ...iOS has become a bloated pig.
iOS 10 is LIGHTNING fast on here...

IMG_6798.jpeg
IMG_6799.jpeg
IMG_6800.jpeg

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
We've had a little "small phone" development today

I bought a mint condition 64GB SE1 from ebay for $20
The seller claimed it had a defective SIM card slot

I didn't care because I wanted it for usage by my bed at night for podcasts/audiobooks/streaming ... so all I needed was "not iCloud locked"

Phone showed up today

Totally MINT condition -- 133 battery cycles
Also...SIM slot works fine (activated it with an extra active T-Mo SIM I have) ...

AND..

Here's the real kicker

It's on iOS 10!!!
That's the last version that runs 32 bit apps

What did I do first?

Re-download my two favorite iOS games of all time, MotionX Poker Dice and Flight Control

OMG -- HEAVEN

Now I need to buy yet another SE1 for bedside usage, as this one is never getting updated off iOS10 - EVER!

A happy problem
The SE1 fleet grows!

I have a full on SE1 "Navy" over here!

Some photos were obligatory!

Also - "yes" ...iOS has become a bloated pig.
iOS 10 is LIGHTNING fast on here...

View attachment 2364508 View attachment 2364509 View attachment 2364510

The SE1 was and still is the best iPhone ever made! And a close second is 13 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.