Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I would pay 2,000 bucks for an iPhone 4 with new internals. Unchanged outside. Obviously never gonna happen but… yeah. Agreed.

That was part of the rationale behind my original purchase of the 12-mini

Oh, and that lovely full-screen OLED ;)

Most of the reasoning that led me to drop almost that much $ on it <smile>

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
That was part of the rationale behind my original purchase of the 12-mini

Oh, and that lovely full-screen OLED ;)

Most of the reasoning that led me to drop almost that much $ on it <smile>
No, I mean literally no outside changes (apart from a USB-C port instead of the 30 pin)

I don’t want or need full screen. I want a phone that feels good in my hand and is gorgeous and the iPhone 4 design is that.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well I will take my leave, I quite understand the disappointment most posters feel as I type this on my 27" late 2015 iMac -the best computer I've owned. The current 24" just don't cut it for me (not just because of the screen size) so I am looking at eventually getting a Mac Mini as two colleagues have them and are quite happy with them. I don't know how well the iMacs are doing but I do know that I was really happy to get the 7 Plus with a bigger screen and I do get the impression from posts here that foolish customers were tricked into purchasing them whereas I feel it is the other way around that most people went for it. I too would like to see some more choice so I leave it at that.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Putting a new battery in my “for the gym” iPhone SE1 today

Just by chance, the exact one of my SE1s I pulled out to use for the gym was the one I hadn’t put a new battery in yet. Figures. Haha

Oh well.. a needed upgrade anyhow.

I am really really liking the much smaller and lighter device for outdoor and gym exercise.
It’s a really noticeable difference, even from a 13 Mini

The weight of modern iPhones got above a threshold where they all really feel like “bricks” in your pocket, especially in shorts for warmer weather.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Looking back
  • the iPhone 5/5c/5s/SE 2016 is the middle ground between iPhone 4s and older and iPhone 6/6s/7/8/SE 2020/SE 2022
  • the iPhone X/XS/11 Pro is the middle ground between iPhone 6/6s/7/8 and their Plus counterpart
  • the iPhone XR/11 is the middle ground between iPhone XS/11 Pro and their Max counterpart
  • the iPhone 12 mini/13 mini is the middle ground between iPhone 5/5c/5s/SE 2016 and iPhone 12/13
Yes it's a physical limitation but I hate that we have to get the highest end model for best camera combination and best battery life... With that said, I may have to switch to iPhone 13 mini from iPhone 14 Pro Max, despite knowing that it does not have a telephoto and worse battery [but still sufficient to some people]

Reactions: ctjack

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I actually found a UK phone retailer who have iPhone 13 mini in stock, all colours, but only 512gb storage.
So they are original price..... ~£950.....o_O

• Wow
Reactions: geta

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I actually found a UK phone retailer who have iPhone 13 mini in stock, all colours, but only 512gb storage.
So they are original price..... ~£950.....o_O

I feel very fortunate to have snagged my 13 Mini, Unlocked and nearly mint, with 512gb storage for ... I think $450 IIRC -- might have been $500 -- it was a screaming deal is all I recall

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
No, I mean literally no outside changes (apart from a USB-C port instead of the 30 pin)

I don’t want or need full screen. I want a phone that feels good in my hand and is gorgeous and the iPhone 4 design is that.

Oh, ah . . . I see.

Cute little beasties they certainly were, though even I did find the screen a bit cramped ;)

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
well looks like im back using a 13 mini, after selling my product red one and repurchasing a refurbished one direct from Apple in a midnight black which came in stock all of a sudden. Also snagged a midnight black leather case for it as well. Loving the form factor again, however struggling a bit with the battery life but it is early days as it only has a few cycles.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
well looks like im back using a 13 mini, after selling my product red one and repurchasing a refurbished one direct from Apple in a midnight black which came in stock all of a sudden. Also snagged a midnight black leather case for it as well. Loving the form factor again, however struggling a bit with the battery life but it is early days as it only has a few cycles.

Didn't like the Product Red?
Storage change?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I suspect Apple were going to discontinue the Mini regardless of its sales. Reason being the Dynamic Island would take up too much screen space on the 5.4" screen. I mean just imagine it, it would not look or feel right, and can just about work on larger screens because of how low down it is.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I suspect Apple were going to discontinue the Mini regardless of its sales. Reason being the Dynamic Island would take up too much screen space on the 5.4" screen. I mean just imagine it, it would not look or feel right, and can just about work on larger screens because of how low down it is.

Couldn't we just "not have" the DI?
It looks like it's going about as well as the TouchBar anyhow

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Do you mind me asking the cost of the 13 mini on the refurb store..?
I have never seen any listed on UK site.
You must have nabbed it before I saw it....😂

Reactions: turbineseaplane

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
You can get some iPhone 12/13 Mini refurbs on Amazon UK. They have the Pink 512 GB brand new for £930, which is quite steep in price TBH.

Ill never forget the magic of the 12 Mini when it was launched though, new form factor with worlds first 5 Nm chip, got mine on Day 1 in Silver looking just like iPhone 4 back in the day.

Reactions: MarkC426

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Make sure you don't put your hands on an SE1
I thought I'd grown happy with my 13 Mini after the last year+ of using it

Man I miss a small and lightweight iPhone

The SE1 reminds me of Airpods 1&2 with how the product can just "disappear"
(in ears, or pockets in the case of the former)

Such a shame we can't have something in the iPhone 5/5S/SE1 form factor or general size anymore.

I always thought Apple would keep something really small going, given their supposed prowess with small and power efficient chips

:confused:

Reactions: lpc2 and rocketbuc

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You can get some iPhone 12/13 Mini refurbs on Amazon UK. They have the Pink 512 GB brand new for £930, which is quite steep in price TBH.

Ill never forget the magic of the 12 Mini when it was launched though, new form factor with worlds first 5 Nm chip, got mine on Day 1 in Silver looking just like iPhone 4 back in the day.
You can get all colours (512) new from EE for same price.
I wouldn't touch a refurb from Amazon after reading the refurb notes...they have a 'minimum 80%' battery charge.
With Apple you get a new battery.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
£419, you can get up an alert on refurb-tracker.com and it will alert you when they are restocked. I only had to wait about 4 days. I had this current iPhone 13 mini for about a week now. Couldn’t tell the different vs a brand brand new one.

Reactions: MarkC426

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Nah I didn’t like the red bezel on show even when using a dark case. 128GB is plenty for me to be honest.

What case were you using?
I'm surprised to hear this -- I use the Apple Silicone ones (and some knockoffs) and I can't see red anywhere other than on the back where cameras are -- so much so I honestly forgot what color I had at one point! LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.