Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
everyday that passes it's becoming harder to own a customized mac pro. from impending component failures to software sabatoges

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Because Apple is being infantile and not using newer Nvidia drivers.

Not only are 970/980/750 not in the OS drivers, neither are the Titan Black and 780Ti, despite having been around for a long time.

It seems to me that throughout 10.9 they never added any new Nvidia cards to the shipping drivers.

If instead of dragging their feet they just let those newer drivers become part of their OS, this whole event would have passed unnoticed.

I realize that choosing which pink watch band goes with the "Aluminum Sport Extended" is high-tech stuff and needs most of their engineering staff, but maybe every now and then they couldld spend a few moments on actual computers.

Netkas to the rescue !!!

Yes, I can confirm that this works.

Nice thing with our EFI cards you can do this without removing cards, etc.

Does that mean that my 770 I bought from you will still work if I install this "update"?

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Hi guys I have a Mac Pro retina and I haven't noticed any issues withmy updates other than the time it takes for certain a one to load. I have iris in mavericks and I'm wondering if this will screw things up or if I should wait. Thanks

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Fix for 10.9.5 Web Driver

I don't see the 10.9.5 new driver yet but the build number went from 13F34 to 13F1066.

Trying a quick hack of the plist

EDIT: It worked !!!

So, simple plist edit.

And here is the interesting part....changing the build number magically allows the Nvidia driver to load and run perfectly.

Meanwhile, the App Update window KNOWS it already has the update. It shows up as "Installed in Last 30 Days" and doesn't offer it again.

So, if the OS knows it has update, why, oh why did they need to change the build number?

Hmm......

For 10.9.5 with Security Update ONLY. US ENGLISH

Go to System/Library/CoreServices and drag out SystemVersion.plist and place it in a folder on your desktop or documents folder, name it "System Plist correct version". By doing this you will actually make a copy of it and an original will remain in the CoreServices folder.

Then unzip the one attached below. Place it in the System/Library/CoreServices folder to replace the existing one that you JUST MADE A BACKUP OF.

Open Disk Utility (in Applications folder in the "Utilities" folder) Run a "repair permissions" on this drive. You should see the permissions get repaired on the file you just replaced. (do not just "verify" needs to repair)

Then reboot and select Nvidia Driver again, if you did above correct it will allow you to.

When Nvidia updates the driver you will need to put original back and repair permissions again before new driver will install.

BTW, this makes a fix for future update troubles a little easier. We can either tell the Nvidia Driver that it is for the newer build or...anyhow things to think about. Nice thing about doing this way is no need for kext dev mode thing.

For those in other regions/languages or for those who would rather "do it themselves", make 2 copies of the above file somewhere. Use a plist editor to change the System Version number from 13F1066 back to 13F34.

From what I can tell, this does nothing bad and only allows former Nvidia driver to work. It still knows that the Security Update has been applied.

Attachments

• SystemVersion.plist.zip
    435 bytes · Views: 286
Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
new driver version 343.02.02f03 is available this AM through the NVIDIA Web Driver Manager on OS X 10.10.2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 8.09.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 8.09.27 AM.png
    35 KB · Views: 261

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
new driver version 343.02.02f03 is available this AM through the NVIDIA Web Driver Manager on OS X 10.10.2

Does this update only show after installing the Apple security update, because right now, I haven't installed the security update, and when I check for a nVidia update, it says I am up to date already (with 02f02).

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Another confirmation. Netkas link works like a charm! I have one question though... I get that the web driver didn't work because of internal build numbers, but why didn't the Apple stock driver work? This had never been a problem with my EVGA 650ti before.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Another confirmation. Netkas link works like a charm! I have one question though... I get that the web driver didn't work because of internal build numbers, but why didn't the Apple stock driver work? This had never been a problem with my EVGA 650ti before.

Nvidia web driver replaces nvdastartup.kext. new update, this kext stops working, nvidia drivers cant be loaded

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I wish Apple would hurry up and release a Mac or three with Maxwell. That would put Maxwell drivers into Yosemite and make buying a GTX 970 more palatable to me. A lot of paranoia here, though - I don't think Apple is intentionally breaking drivers; I feel like the blame lies with nVidia by tying every driver to a very specific build.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Hi guys I have a Mac Pro retina and I haven't noticed any issues withmy updates other than the time it takes for certain a one to load. I have iris in mavericks and I'm wondering if this will screw things up or if I should wait. Thanks
I'm guessing you have a MacBook Pro retina? This thread is related to graphic cards in the Mac Pro so you shouldn't have any problems with the update. ;)

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
I'm guessing you have a MacBook Pro retina? This thread is related to graphic cards in the Mac Pro so you shouldn't have any problems with the update. ;)

Thanks AdeFowler. It's a macbook. My mistake. I was nervous that the update messed up all the devices which would be horrible. I hope everyone with this problem gets it fixed :eek:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
everyday that passes it's becoming harder to own a customized mac pro. from impending component failures to software sabatoges

Yes, because this was clearly done on purpose to break third party drivers and upset people.

----------

I believe Apple is coming after us, tweakers of cMP! Such a bad as both sad idea ;-(

I have tin foil hats for sale.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Yes, because this was clearly done on purpose to break third party drivers and upset people.

----------

I have tin foil hats for sale.

Okay. Perhaps then it was done with complete disregard. I guarantee you someone responsible for these software updates is aware that arbitrarily changing the OS X build number (for a security fix, no less) would cause this situation for anyone relying on a cMP and a modern nVidia card.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Okay. Perhaps then it was done with complete disregard. I guarantee you someone responsible for these software updates is aware that arbitrarily changing the OS X build number (for a security fix, no less) would cause this situation for anyone relying on a cMP and a modern nVidia card.

What should they have done? Not upped the build number? Yes, let's go ahead and completely destroy our build and deploy process because of implications to the guys running the old Mac Pro with Nvidia GPUs.

That sounds about as crazy as the "HAHAHAH, THIS WILL TOTALLY BREAK THE DRIVERS FOR THOSE GUYS WITH NVIDIA GPUS IN THEIR CLASSIC MACS. HAHAHAHA" theory.

Seriously, you guys.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I guarantee you someone responsible for these software updates is aware that arbitrarily changing the OS X build number (for a security fix, no less) would cause this situation for anyone relying on a cMP and a modern nVidia card.
Doubtful, and it's not arbitrary. This update replaced the kernel, thus the new build number. That Nvidia chooses to restrict their drivers' operation to a specific build number of OS X is Nvidia's choice, not Apple's.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Doubtful, and it's not arbitrary. This update replaced the kernel, thus the new build number. That Nvidia chooses to restrict their drivers' operation to a specific build number of OS X is Nvidia's choice, not Apple's.

Yes, but as I keep pointing out, if Apple had incorporated new drivers anytime since 10.9 came out this wouldn't be a problem.

By keeping 310.xx drivers in the OS whilst Windows and Nvidia have moved on to 343.xx and 347.xx drivers, Apple created this problem.

Again, for most GTX680 type cards this is no big deal.

It IS a big deal for GTX780Ti, Titan Black, GTX750, GTX960, GTX970, GTX980.

For our folks with EFI cards, they still get to the desktop to fix things. The people running unflashed cards reboot after update and get...NADA...black screen. Lots less fun for them.

Apple is basically still using the Nvidia drivers from 10.8.5 in 10.10. No new cards have been added since then.

And I don't believe that a "Security Update" has ever done this before.

The Apple apologists can stop now.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Meanwhile...

The Apple apologists can stop now.

...on the more popular desktop OS, most Vista and almost all 7 drivers are fine in 8 and 10. Even some XP drivers are fine.

Why hasn't the "world's most advanced operating system" dealt with the issues of opaque system APIs? The solution is known....

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Does this update only show after installing the Apple security update, because right now, I haven't installed the security update, and when I check for a nVidia update, it says I am up to date already (with 02f02).

Believe so, but not 100% positive. At this point, I would say it's likely "safe" to update after verifying your boot drive backup/clone.

----------

There was an update for 10.8.5 (back when that was current) which also changed build numbers.

And some people were up in arms about it. Also think that's around the time when NVIDIA started releasing updates on a more timely basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.