Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Check 6

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
I was considering upgrading my HD 5870 graphics card on my 2012 Ma Pro to a GTX 680 (for mac) card but now I don't know

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I was considering upgrading my HD 5870 graphics card on my 2012 Ma Pro to a GTX 680 (for mac) card but now I don't know

Currently using a GTX 680 for Mac in a 5,1 without any issues on 10.10.2 with the latest security update.

After the security update was installed, and before the NVIDIA driver update was released, I was able to revert back to the "default OSX driver" for the GTX 680 without any MAJOR issues for my workflow. The machine worked, screens appeared, Adobe applications were fine (...as fine as they are, that is). A day later, the NVIDIA driver update appeared and was back to using that driver instead of the default.

Not sure why a one or two day "delay" in NVIDIA releasing a driver update would change or alter your decision on going with the card, but that's your call to make...

Check 6

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
Currently using a GTX 680 for Mac in a 5,1 without any issues on 10.10.2 with the latest security update.

After the security update was installed, and before the NVIDIA driver update was released, I was able to revert back to the "default OSX driver" for the GTX 680 without any MAJOR issues for my workflow. The machine worked, screens appeared, Adobe applications were fine (...as fine as they are, that is). A day later, the NVIDIA driver update appeared and was back to using that driver instead of the default.

Not sure why a one or two day "delay" in NVIDIA releasing a driver update would change or alter your decision on going with the card, but that's your call to make...
Thank you for comment, my issue is as reported on a different thread is my Apple 30" cinema display is failing and if I am to buy a new display, I was also going to improve the graphics card while staying with "for mac" cards and not an aftermarket flash. The alternate is to simply retire the Mac Pro (could create a server but then Hillery has already done that) sorry, and get a iMac as a desktop. Decisions, but again your comments are appreciated

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
...on the more popular desktop OS, most Vista and almost all 7 drivers are fine in 8 and 10. Even some XP drivers are fine.

Why hasn't the "world's most advanced operating system" dealt with the issues of opaque system APIs? The solution is known....

The main difference is that Microsoft's D3D runtime is a fixed entity with a binary compatible interface with the drivers, and the GPU manufacturers are responsible for everything else. On OS X, Apple implements much of the graphics stack inside the OpenGL framework, and the drivers implement the bottom half of the driver stack only. That internal interface probably changes regularly, which is why the drivers are so tightly coupled with the system frameworks. In order to avoid any kind of problem, the NVIDIA web drivers are tied to a specific known-to-work OS version once they are officially released. This certainly seems better than having all your applications start to randomly crash after a minor OS update altered one of those internal interfaces or changed something else so that the older driver is no longer perfectly compatible.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
No matter how you slice it, this situation is absolutely ridiculous and would be easily fixable by Apple adopting the 343 nVidia driver into a base Yosemite version. At least then when this happens we may not have the full web driver support until nvidia updates, but we will have a functioning computer.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
No matter how you slice it, this situation is absolutely ridiculous and would be easily fixable by Apple adopting the 343 nVidia driver into a base Yosemite version. At least then when this happens we may not have the full web driver support until nvidia updates, but we will have a functioning computer.

Exactly !

But every time it gets mentioned the Apple Cheerleading squad gets their Pom Poms out and blames NVIDIA .

Yes, the old AMD cards in the nMP are an embarrassment, but hog tying the NVIDIA drivers back to 10.8.5 doesn't change that.

It just annoys people who have tried to keep up with current tech.

Fireteller

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
So before noticing the update issue I updated with my unflashed EVGA GTX 980 Classified. Now with a blank screen I can't make the above repairs. Oddly I can't get remote desktop, or ssh to the machine either.

Before finding my old (broken) card to reinstall does anyone have any ideas on what could be block the upgrade from finishing, or otherwise keeping the system from booting fully? Is there is some kind of confirmation dialogue, that perhaps I just need a sequence of keystrokes to get past?

(looks like I'm going to need to get this card flashed.)

Thanks,
f

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
So before noticing the update issue I updated with my unflashed EVGA GTX 980 Classified. Now with a blank screen I can't make the above repairs. Oddly I can't get remote desktop, or ssh to the machine either.

Before finding my old (broken) card to reinstall does anyone have any ideas on what could be block the upgrade from finishing, or otherwise keeping the system from booting fully? Is there is some kind of confirmation dialogue, that perhaps I just need a sequence of keystrokes to get past?

(looks like I'm going to need to get this card flashed.)

Thanks,
f

There's no setup screens or dialogs after this security update. I was able to use screen sharing from my MacBook Pro to get into my machine and install the beta driver, but otherwise I would have had to open it up and swap GPUs yet again. Try hard powering off your machine and rebooting it maybe?

macmacma

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Hi, I have been using an unflashed nvidia gtx 970 graphics card in my 2010 mac pro. Today, I installed the new security update without thinking and it broke the nvidia drivers that I had installed on the computer. Now the computer won't boot (since it's an unflashed card). I still have the original AMD card that came with the computer, but the drivers on the computer are still set to nvidia so the AMD card won't boot either. Does anyone have a way to fix this? I would be eternally grateful!

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Hi, I have been using an unflashed nvidia gtx 970 graphics card in my 2010 mac pro. Today, I installed the new security update without thinking and it broke the nvidia drivers that I had installed on the computer. Now the computer won't boot (since it's an unflashed card). I still have the original AMD card that came with the computer, but the drivers on the computer are still set to nvidia so the AMD card won't boot either. Does anyone have a way to fix this? I would be eternally grateful!

>but the drivers on the computer are still set to nvidia so the AMD card won't boot either

BS.

boot with amd card, update driver and enable it.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
f

I had this issue as well. Unable to remote in after the update. My computer ended up in a weird loop, my mouse and keyboard backlights pulsing but the machine wasn't actually booting. Pressing the power button immediately turned it off. It's possible an SMC or PRAM reset could have helped, but after realizing the machine wasn't going to cooperate I put an EFI card in. Machine booted to a "Your computer shut down because of a problem. Press any key to continue booting" message.

Not overly constructive I realize, but thought I'd share. Good luck!

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I had this issue as well. Unable to remote in after the update. My computer ended up in a weird loop, my mouse and keyboard backlights pulsing but the machine wasn't actually booting. Pressing the power button immediately turned it off. It's possible an SMC or PRAM reset could have helped, but after realizing the machine wasn't going to cooperate I put an EFI card in. Machine booted to a "Your computer shut down because of a problem. Press any key to continue booting" message.

Not overly constructive I realize, but thought I'd share. Good luck!

Constructive I thought would be for OS X to have restore points and be able to roll-back an update from Safe Boot Mode. :(

superdx

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
or you can edit the file

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

and restore the old build number there, might cheat nvidia drivers on 10.8/10.9/10.10

<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>14C109</string>

Thanks this did it for me yesterday! Working normally now. Luckily I had a GT120 installed so I could still get into my computer!

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Yes, but as I keep pointing out, if Apple had incorporated new drivers anytime since 10.9 came out this wouldn't be a problem.

By keeping 310.xx drivers in the OS whilst Windows and Nvidia have moved on to 343.xx and 347.xx drivers, Apple created this problem.

Again, for most GTX680 type cards this is no big deal.

It IS a big deal for GTX780Ti, Titan Black, GTX750, GTX960, GTX970, GTX980.

There is a supported 'Mac Edition' GTX680 but neither Apple nor Nvidia support those other cards. If there were a supported 'Mac Edition' GTX980 there would be legitimate cause for complaint against the card manufacturer. It's a bit unrealistic to expect Apple to design develop & support new graphics cards for an obsolete system. The number of Mac Pros that are still used with the GT120 or RX2600 that they shipped with makes me think that the upgrade market for Mac pro graphics cards is pretty niche.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The iMac has GTX 770M and the ATI 2600XT should be blocked out as incompatible and unsupported even though the 3,1 is with its PCIE 2.0 16X and EFI that supports 64-bit.

Code from Mountain Lion was never flagged or reviewed especially a driver seems negligent at the least.

Every Mac Pro had chance for ATI 5770 uograde and could have.

Seems deliberate if we go back to how politics personality and a punitive 'scolding' in the past over small transgression. Poor way for a tech giant and "lazy" to not incorporate the latest qualified driver from a graphic vendor which has bug fixes, incorporates improvements and even security changes.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I have a GTX 960 and before installing the security update, I used the link on the first page and downloaded and installed the latest nVidia Web driver. I rebooted, and confirmed it was installed. THEN, I installed the security update. After the reboot, I had a black screen. I waited (since I can't see the boot screens anyways), but nothing. So I it the power button to turn off, and it instantly turned off (which led me to believe it was not even in OSX yet and maybe there was some sort of panic on boot). I turned it back on, and VOILA! It booted normally and I logged in and confirmed everything works.

So, I think loading the latest web driver from nVidia first, THEN doing the security update ultimately works.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Ok, for OS X 10.10.2 with the latest security update Nvidia released new driver version 343.02.02f03.

But where is a new driver version for 10.8.5 and 10.9.5 ?

I have the GTX 680 Mac Edition, which is officially supported for Mountain Lion…

Do I need to hack the SystemVersion.plist or should I wait for new drivers?

Last edited:

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
That did the job perfectly; cheers!

or you can edit the file

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

and restore the old build number there, might cheat nvidia drivers on 10.8/10.9/10.10

<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>14C109</string>

mamasboy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
And the security update also breaks the Nvidia Web Driver for 10.8.5.

However, my non-flashed GTX 570 2.5GB still works and Cuda is still playing nicely with Adobe AE & PP while using the Apple driver, at least...

Question:
Perhaps Apple's drivers are presently mature enough that with my 10.8.5/gtx570 combo, that using the Nvidia driver will not exhibit any performance boost over current OS drivers anyways... Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Lonnie

UPDATE
This morning Nvidia Driver Manager notified me of New Driver... after install, all is back to normal via Web Driver 313.01.04f02 on OS 10.8.5

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Truly, they have updated drivers to support this security update on all supported osx versions, case closed.

Barry O'Brien

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
Quick Hack worked, but now Premere freezes

I don't see the 10.9.5 new driver yet but the build number went from 13F34 to 13F1066.

Trying a quick hack of the plist

EDIT: It worked !!!

So, simple plist edit.

And here is the interesting part....changing the build number magically allows the Nvidia driver to load and run perfectly.

Meanwhile, the App Update window KNOWS it already has the update. It shows up as "Installed in Last 30 Days" and doesn't offer it again.

------
Barry O'Brien here. I wonder if you can help me:

So, I made this fix and the driver worked again, I started in on another new project on Premiere CC 2014. The monitors came up, all was good. Then, over time (a day) every few edits, the the timeline would play back choppy, or I would double-click on a clip to bring it up in the preview monitor, and Premiere would hang up - the sequence would not play, I would get the wheel of death of I tried to save the file. And I would have to crash the computer and bring up the project again. Once up it would be fine, except the last work would not be saved. It would be good for two or three edits and hang up again.

It has become worse all day, to the point where, I am lucky to make two edits. The only work around is to save and close the project after two edits and reopen it.

I am running a MacPro 3,1
Mavericks 10.9.5
22 GB RAM
GTX 770 4 GB with flashed firmware
AJA Kona PCIe Card

Any incite into why this started to happen?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Barry O'Brien

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Barry O'Brien here. I wonder if you can help me:

So, I made this fix and the driver worked again, I started in on another new project on Premiere CC 2014. The monitors came up, all was good. Then, over time (a day) every few edits, the the timeline would play back choppy, or I would double-click on a clip to bring it up in the preview monitor, and Premiere would hang up - the sequence would not play, I would get the wheel of death of I tried to save the file. And I would have to crash the computer and bring up the project again. Once up it would be fine, except the last work would not be saved. It would be good for two or three edits and hang up again.

It has become worse all day, to the point where, I am lucky to make two edits. The only work around is to save and close the project after two edits and reopen it.

I am running a MacPro 3,1
Mavericks 10.9.5
22 GB RAM
GTX 770 4 GB with flashed firmware
AJA Kona PCIe Card

Any incite into why this started to happen?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Barry O'Brien

try to restore original build number - 13F1066 then install updated driver for 10.9.5

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
On Yosemite, I'm running the web driver 02b04 but it says there is a newer version 02f03. Is f03 newer than b04? Should I apply it or is there an f04 somewhere? Is "b" for beta and "f" for final?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yes. b4 stands for Beta release #4. f3 stands for Final Release #3. f3 came after b4.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.