Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Both AirPods and case would be completely discharged in about 2.5 days with the set I have.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No it was not. "Excellent" was offered in the context of "Nice" or "Happy to hear that" and that most owners will likely have a great experience - as evidenced from reports. Hardly a narrative to push.

Your points 1 & 2 are obvious and were likely put up as straw men as I never stated there are perfect products from Apple (or anyone else), or that battery drain rates will be the same for everyone - that's a hoot. Point 3 is condescending, and apparently intentionally so, as this is the second time you've said that. And that reflects poorly on you.

I second this. There will always be some technical concerns announced when a product first launches, likely its mass produced and perfection doesn't exist in the millions. It's websites like Macrumors exploiting the reports given based off users and tech sites alike, which obviously will draw out those with their claims or opinions.

To many times, it's the negative aspects reported on tech than the positive reflections. When the 2016 MacBook Pro launched, there was an article that highlighted every complaint for almost two weeks on here, which ultimately creates controversy and varying opinions.

Anecdotal, but consumers are more likely drawn to skepticism rather than agreeance, because of how everyone differs on views. Macrumors intends to thwart the more positive news and condones the complaints noted, which attracts numbers.

More on topic: My Airpods arrived today. Very impressed thus far and looking forward to using them more frequently.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
A integrated key chain/carabiner loop would be nice to have. When I get a set I may just have to rig something up to my EDC monkey fist. Sure would not want to loose it.
[doublepost=1482958836][/doublepost]
Are Apple's products failing at a higher rate than usual, or has this kind of thing been happening at the same rate forever but we are now hearing about it much more often because the vocal online Apple community has grown so much in the last few years?

No your right - Tim Cook doesn't crack the whip of quality control that SJ once did.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Not saying you're exaggerating but that's not possible. The batteries will drain some regardless of use. Especially over 4 days. Thinking about it, I guess I am saying you're exaggerating.

It was not an exaggeration. I checked as soon as i read this article and everything is reading as 100% and i havent used the AirPods since xmas eve.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It was not an exaggeration. I checked as soon as i read this article and everything is reading as 100% and i havent used the AirPods since xmas eve.

I wonder if they go into an enhanced standby mode after a period of time? I do find the charging of the AirPods and the case to be a little... nebulous. I'm doing some lengthy testing on mine now.

At 9:20am, case and AirPods at 100%. At 10:20am, case at 100% and AirPods at 95%. Right now at 1:16pm, case is at 93%, AirPods at 100%.

So that's 7% drain in about 4 hours. Really not sure how normal any of it is.

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
Every product has a design flaw that Apple refuseds to acknowledge now. All to save a fraction of a millimeter.

Is there a product in Apple's (or anyone else's) history where a percentage of users didn't have a problem? I think everything has a failure rate and when we can communicate so readily, we all know about them and they sound bad.

Is the AirPod problem any more or less widespread than with any other product?

Reactions: johnfrombeyond

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Nismo73 said:
You're charging it wrong.

OMG that is sooo original and funny, and it never wears off....
Actually it did wear off many years ago, you should have put snappier into your reply and the world would be ROFLing and wetting themselves.

Be nice, it took him all morning to decide between that and some variation of the "courage" meme.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Ungrateful little gits!
They're in their 20s, honestly weren't interested in them.
I will buy them!!
Wasn't an ad, and I think I'd buy direct so I could handle returns/repairs most easily.
sounds pretty silly if you haven't tried them...unless you just plain have no need for wireless headphones
Reports aren't glowing, not everybody requires/want them.
Hello this is your nephew.
Hey, now... :p

I just got a shipped notice from BestBuy on a second pair...

Because I'm a maroon and forgot to cancel.
smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
oh boy here we go. 2016, the year of battery problems.

The year of battery problems, or "The Year of Battery Management Software Fails?" I can't stop wondering with all the vast discrepancies out there. I know the MBP had to go to a different battery shape last minute, but the decrease was minimal. I'll wager we see a Firmware Update for Air Pods in the future. I think a lot of this battery drama is just Crap Code from Apple, IMO. :apple:

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Wish they would fix all these battery issues.

I guarantee you that we will be hearing about them forever as long as there is a desire for clickbait articles. You can't produce tens of millions of devices without having some number that have a battery issue. Apple will sell tens of millions of Airpods. Ditto for the laptops. They will sell close to 200 million iPhone 7's, as long as all it takes is for a few people to tweet about some problem for websites to run articles "Some users are reporting poor battery life," the future is clear. It doesn't matter if 99.999 percent were good, the click bait will serve its purpose. Or if it's users misunderstanding. That's how we ended up with "bend gate" and now Airpod batteries are an issue without any context. Sad.

Reactions: johnfrombeyond

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
That's excellent!
I'm assuming the AirPods were originally paired to your iPhone, and you didn't unpair or "Forget" them, correct?

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I wonder if they go into an enhanced standby mode after a period of time? I do find the charging of the AirPods and the case to be a little... nebulous. I'm doing some lengthy testing on mine now.

At 9:20am, case and AirPods at 100%. At 10:20am, case at 100% and AirPods at 95%. Right now at 1:16pm, case is at 93%, AirPods at 100%.

So that's 7% drain in about 4 hours. Really not sure how normal any of it is.

Mine seem to be doing similar. Either its 'expected behaviour' (which i doubt), or Apple's going to be replacing an awful lot of these soon

I suspect the processor in the charging case does not go into standby/power-down, and as such it's draining power.

A firmware update could fix these, unless the issue is the assembly of the case components (as iFixit's x-rays imply there is cavities in some of the solder connections)

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I'll add my math to the pile here:

20:37 case is at 68%
AirPods at 94% after 15 minutes of music playback. (that projects 5 hours of AirPods use outside the case, which is spot on).

I put them to charge inside the case and leave the case unplugged (but with the lid closed).

Exactly one hour later, at 21:37, my AirPods are at 100% and my case is at 57%.

If we were to assume that 10% loss was due to charging the AirPods, even with the slow charge past 80% factor; it means I won't even get 1 full charge from the case.

I'll be testing some more over the next day, but so far this is not normal behaviour.

Last edited:

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
I'm glad the AirPods have been a relative success. I like the concept of them, I'll stick with wireless Bose that are nice and secure while jogging. However, I hear the mic on these bad boys are pretty good, so good job Apple. My Bose are horrible for calls.

That being said, I can't believe you need a dongle to charge these things to your new Macbook Pros. Timmy loves his Dongles, THOSE have been a run away success!

I have a new MBP and a USB-C to Lightning cable. What dongle is it you think I need?

Really, all this dongle-worry is just crabby shortsightedness. I paid good money for a new MBP. Since USB-C is the standard moving forward, I'd prefer to have those ports built in, rather than legacy ports for the old stuff. As time goes on, new peripherals will have the speed and connector for USB-C/Thunderbolt. It would be kind of disappointing to have to lose the speed and buy dongles later, so that I can plug the new gear into slower legacy ports on a notebook that's only two or three years old.

Which do you want? Dongles now to adapt your older gear with zero loss of utility, or dongles later to adapt and choke down your new gear?

And again, I already have dongle-free connectors for new stuff like iPhones, iPads and AirPods. I don't see the problem.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

Kroo

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
It never rains but it pours, oh dear.

Apple will want people to forget 2016 quickly...

Not as quickly as Samsung. They can only dream of battery issues as trivial as this. I seriously doubt anyone will be banned from flying because of this. Funny, I still get asked at the airport if I own a Samsung exploding surprise packet. That's something they will never live down, yet the anti Apple trolls that camp here just go ape shizzle over trivial things like this. Go figure.
[doublepost=1482966185][/doublepost]
Snagged a pair from ATT,

Offered them to my nephews/niece for Christmas... nobody wanted them.

I guess I'll return them unopened, lol.

Nice fairytale :rolleyes:

Reactions: truthertech

mnni

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I'm having the same issue... the case discharged itself from 100% to 2% in 18 hours without usage (opening the case for example) and the AirPods fully charged at the beginning.

Part from that... I do like them pretty much.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I feel no sympathy for anyone who bought the first batch of these. Looking at the track record of Apple with its products this year, this isn't any surprise.

That's just as well, because I have absolutely no need of your sympathy or anyone else's.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Seems like a lot of commitment to a device. All you had to do with wired headphones/buds is plug them in.
Couple tips:
- Empty the batteries and charge them to full.
- Give the batteries couple full charge cycles before you send them anywhere.
- When not using the AirPods keep them in the case and do not open the case. Opening the case causes it to waste it's charge.

vigorblade

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
New York, NY
Snagged a pair from ATT,

Offered them to my nephews/niece for Christmas... nobody wanted them.

I guess I'll return them unopened, lol.

That's because all these kids want are Beats or similar. In my area, I see very few people 18 and under wearing earbuds, only over the ear headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.