Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Thanks public and paying beta testers. Now my future AirPods will have all the issues resolved. Can't believe people still rush to buy 1st gen 1st batch Apple products.

Because this is such a widespread, major, unfixable problem.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
rule number one for apple users:
never update softwares within the first 3 weeks. never buy product on launch, wait for 3 weeks. never buy first gen apple products.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No it was not. "Excellent" was offered in the context of "Nice" or "Happy to hear that" and that most owners will likely have a great experience - as evidenced from reports. Hardly a narrative to push.

Your points 1 & 2 are obvious and were likely put up as straw men as I never stated there are perfect products from Apple (or anyone else), or that battery drain rates will be the same for everyone - that's a hoot. Point 3 is condescending, and apparently intentionally so, as this is the second time you've said that. And that reflects poorly on you.
I misread your intention regarding excellent. Apologies. Points 1 & 2 weren't straw men since I never claimed you stated that products were perfect. Not in that quote or anywhere else. Same goes for battery drain rates. Those were simply supporting points to highlight there's no need for people to exaggerate to push a narrative. You are 100% right about the condescension. You can alternately make insightful, informative quotes and latch on to fanboy idiocy with equal fervor. That's your prerogative. We both think certain things reflect poorly on the other. It's okay. It's just the internet. We will both survive.;)

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
In an article that links to no less than 5 separate threads questioning the battery life of the AirPods the number you come up with is two? I'm okay with this. Carry on.

"5 separate threads questioning the battery life of the AirPods"

The article is about the case, and the linked thread in the article regarding the case shows two users experiencing issues.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
never update softwares within the first 3 weeks. never buy product on launch, wait for 3 weeks. never buy first gen apple products.

Now reconcile that with "Shut up and take my money" and "I'm already in line" and images of people camping on sidewalks for a day or two so they have some kind of chance to be among the first.

I think it can't be rule #1 for all Apple users- just some that are objective enough to not get swept away in the fervor and wise enough to wait around for objective reviews before parting with their dollars. Rule #1 for Apple fans is to be in those lines, be first to post that "Shut up..." cartoon (plus "it's happening", etc), soon followed by unboxing, then aggressive defense that all is perfect in every way and/or redirecting blame for any issues to anyone or anything other than Apple. ;)

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
There's actually nothing wrong with the hardware. It's just that we are not understanding the battery level indications correctly and it's causing confusion. To remedy this, Apple will disable the battery level display in the next firmware update. Instead, it will only report whether the the case needs charging or not.... a lot simpler.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
cause everyone that bought them is on macrumors lol

The article links to a thread on reddit, but NVM. Point is it's still a handful of cases (If you'll excuse the pun), it's just another storm in a teacup. Everything has a defect rate.

Reactions: satcomer

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks public and paying beta testers. Now my future AirPods will have all the issues resolved. Can't believe people still rush to buy 1st gen 1st batch Apple products.
Heaven forbid I would go spend my money on something that works perfectly out of the box! I have had 0 issues with my 15" with Touch Bar, Airpods, or Jet Black 7 Plus.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This is referred to as "voiding," which iFixit said "could be evidence of low quality standards, or a rushed product release."

I wonder what Steve would think of this.

Sandybox

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2016
Up front admission, I don't own any AirPods. Trouble is I use to be happy to pay Apple's premium prices because I felt I could trust the brand and the support if an issue did arise. The products were head and shoulders better their rivals and that made the purchasing decision easy.

Now, that trust in the brand is badly eroded. I see stories all the time about problems and Apple making excuses and no longer feel able to justify paying those premium prices. When (hopefully not if) there is a run of exciting product announcements and the stories around design flaws/quality subside I look forward to replacing my aging Apple kit with new.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I've broken all of those rules except the buying a first gen product, and I will likely continue to do so, especially regarding software updates, which I always like to do right away.

People hear about a handful to glitches or defects out of millions of products produced and they freak out.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Many including myself rushed because they were supposed to come out in October. Also I bought an extra pair as a gift.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
"5 separate threads questioning the battery life of the AirPods"

The article is about the case, and the linked thread in the article regarding the case shows two users experiencing issues.
I meant the case. Oops. Since the issue seems to occur when the pods are in the case, parsing really doesn't matter does it? Either way, you right. So, regarding the case. There are 5 separate threads regarding the issue.
This one: have begun This one: realizing This one: noticing This one: severinskulls This one: today

I'm not pointing this out to say there is a massive problem. I personally doubt there is. Likely, as with any product, there are probably defective units out there. I am just point at the fact that the issue does affect "some users"

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This is referred to as "voiding," which iFixit said "could be evidence of low quality standards, or a rushed product release."

I wonder what Steve would think of this.
Steve jobs "who's Tim Cook?"

But really Tim is coo guy and nobody would know what Steve would think.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
No problems here, the battery seems to last forever... I didn't get a little pod though. Oh and there's a wire coming out of my EarPods...

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Heaven forbid I would go spend my money on something that works perfectly out of the box! I have had 0 issues with my 15" with Touch Bar, Airpods, or Jet Black 7 Plus.

I can't even deal with the fallacy of "never buy 1st-gen Apple products" anymore.

If the product fits your needs, buy it.

If no one ever buys a 1st-gen product problems will obviously never be found, let alone a "2nd-gen" even existing due to complete failure of the initial product launch.

I couldn't be happier being in on the initial launch of the iPhone and iPad. I would have missed out on a lot waiting around for reviews and a perfect revision of that tech years down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.